[#1]

NOT BROS.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed OP is in Texas? Aren't those bees all partially Africanized by now? If so they won't be as docile as pure honey bees.
View Quote

I'm in Texas and have bees.  Mine are about as docile as they come.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wow did a bee piss in your cheerios too ?

Now, Mr. fucking genius, do you really think that maybe... just fucking [span style='font-style: italic;']maybe[/span]... that the power tools did indeed upset the bees, and cause to attack your kids.

Do you normally have this much sand in your vag, that you blindly attack others, and not the person calling BS on you ?

You can have a Coke and a HAM Sammich too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 My kids are starting to get stung when we're doing yard work and I promised them I would find a solution.  

bullshit

I have bees and kids, unless your fuck with them honey bees wont sting you

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz5BTNFhwbFUlKBK2Ddh56wNPxFV_tzUmZoUd31BECyv8CGRH4aHMp5qE

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own.  Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.

Wow did a bee piss in your cheerios too ?

Now, Mr. fucking genius, do you really think that maybe... just fucking [span style='font-style: italic;']maybe[/span]... that the power tools did indeed upset the bees, and cause to attack your kids.

Do you normally have this much sand in your vag, that you blindly attack others, and not the person calling BS on you ?

You can have a Coke and a HAM Sammich too.

I never ruled that out, genius.  I reacted to someone calling my claim bullshit, ie It did not happen, not how it happened, or what caused it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't having to pull out stingers, you are not being stung by Honey Bees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you aren't having to pull out stingers, you are not being stung by Honey Bees.
View Quote

Pulled out a stinger, as mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe the lawn mower was being operated so that it threw grass clippings at the hive or something.

I have 15 hives. One of them is right on our deck. We eat dinners ten feet from it. None of my kids have ever been stung. One of my neighbors complained that his son was getting stung. I went over to see him about it and found an underground yellow jacket nest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own.  Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.
View Quote

how to you know they were honey bees?

oh thats right you dont.

still calling bullshit on your genius "correlation"
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, not sure.  
View Quote

thats what I thought, dont know shit but willing to assume
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You sound more than a little defensive here. Is it really so hard to fathom that having colonies of bees next door would result in a higher chance of being stung?
View Quote

you dont know anything about honey bees either I see
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

oh thats right you dont.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh thats right you dont.

Never said I did.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe the lawn mower was being operated so that it threw grass clippings at the hive or something.

I have 15 hives. One of them is right on our deck. We eat dinners ten feet from it. None of my kids have ever been stung. One of my neighbors complained that his son was getting stung. I went over to see him about it and found an underground yellow jacket nest.
View Quote

...I think this thread is moved beyond sensible advice or observation.

And yes, I have absolutely no problem with honeybees.   I guess the OP wanted an exciting thread, and he got it.  It's a shame really.  He'll probably poison his neighbor's hives for no reason.

I hope he'll talk to his neighbor, she might be able to move the hives further away from his property, and perhaps let him and his kids work the hives with her, maybe teach them something.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And yes, I have absolutely no problem with honeybees.  I guess the OP wanted an exciting thread, and he got it.  It's a shame really.  He'll probably poison his neighbor's hives for no reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yes, I have absolutely no problem with honeybees.  I guess the OP wanted an exciting thread, and he got it.  It's a shame really.  He'll probably poison his neighbor's hives for no reason.

Not in the least.  Was looking for information.  But you are right, this thread is not worth continuing.  Mods, please shut it down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not in the least.  Was looking for information.  But you are right, this thread is not worth continuing.  Mods, please shut it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before you use poison that will kill her hives, talk to her.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Thing I learned today: ar15.com's bug of peace is the honey bee
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
We recently had a big problem with our new neighbors honey bees.  I even had a thread on it.  He wasn't giving them water so they were coming to our horse  troughs and pool to get water.  They became very aggressive around the water.  Stung horses and people several times.  I had a second round of words with neighbor.  He started putting out a pan of water but then would forget to refill it.  Did you know most states have a state apiarist?  Kind of like animal control for bee keepers.  I don't have a bee problem anymore.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting.

Just found a "swarm" of honey bees at about head height in the little tree out front. People were walking past without a problem. Kids were playing in the yard within 10' of the small swarm and no one was getting stung. I was two feet away taking pictures and not bothered at all.

Ironically, a neighbor across the street within 50 yards of the swarm has three hives in his back yard. We are in the city. His "mentor" a few blocks over has 11 hives in his yard.

Our neighbor decked out in his suit brought his smoker and an empty box, cut the small limb and dropped it neatly in the box without anyone around getting stung or really even bothered by the bees. Ten minute operation.

Ask your neighbor for some honey, feed it to the kids. She may even give the kids a few lessons on bee keeping and explain to them about honey bees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Some bees will sting when you run a mower or weedeater, but usually only within 30' of the hive (at most). You can have hive robbing events during a nectar dearth that can send out a bunch of pissed off bees to around 125' (but this only happens 1-2x a year). Best bet is to talk to your neighbor and see if she can move the hives further away from your property line. However, if they are over 50' away and are stinging your family when mowing, they probably aren't her hives getting riled up; just you mowing a bunch of bees on flowers on the ground and pissing them off.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
So you had one kid stung by a honeybee and your neighbor needs to get rid of her hives? I am thinking not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When I was like 4 years old, used to lay on  a bee hive and watch them go in and out.
View Quote

Had family friends that were beekeepers.....used to play hide and seek amongst the hives.  Those were the good old days.  I've been stung many times.....each one was fucking with bees and not leaving them alone.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So you had one kid stung by a honeybee and your neighbor needs to get rid of her hives? I am thinking not.
View Quote

I am thinking you didn't read the thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Misread something. Disregard
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't wear black clothes especially close to their hive
Wash the sugar off their hands and faces
Don't play so close to the hives

If they are not allergic to bed stings, eh.   It's part of growing up.  Life is full of pain, a lot worse than a bee sting.
Replay the sgt Barnes scene from platoon where he's telling the dying kid to "take the pain!"
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Some honeybees are not your friend.  My neighbor had a beehive just 8' from my fence and maybe 20' from my garden for years and I never had a problem with them.  Super cool bees every year until he got a new batch one time.  Those things were aggressive as hell and I couldn't even weed my garden.  As soon as the hoe hit the ground they would come attack me.  He killed them off that Winter and got a new batch the next year and they were fine.  Most honeybees are fine but not all.  The neighbor is getting up there in age and no longer has bees.

So the other day I was talking to a guy and he said that bees were bad this year and I said I hadn't had any problem with them.  Wouldn't you know, I go to mow today and get half way around the edge of my back yard and get stung by a bee on my ankle, through the sock.  WTF  Then I go past the same area on the way back around and get stung again on my neck!  Fucking bees have a hole in the ground at the base of my Walnut tree!  I just started spraying Ortho Home Defense MAX in the hole to kill them off.  Right about sunset tonight I'm going to dump the rest of the whole container down the hole on them.  I used to like bees but this is war!  

ETA:  Sevin dust is highly toxic to bees and I would be using that if I still had some.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call the state apiarists http://txbeeinspection.tamu.edu/contacts/
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Had family friends that were beekeepers.....used to play hide and seek amongst the hives.  Those were the good old days.  I've been stung many times.....each one was fucking with bees and not leaving them alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was like 4 years old, used to lay on  a bee hive and watch them go in and out.

Good point.  I'm trying to be polite to my neighbor while still being able to operate mowers, weed eaters, edgers, and hedge trimmers without being stung.   I use a bunch of tools to keep my home looking nice.  If there's something I can do to keep the bees calm, I'm all for it.  I don't want to go all scorched earth just yet.

It's becoming obvious that the power tools are bothering them and that they are reacting in kind (contrary to the bullshit the GD assholes are spewing).  I'm more than willing to adjust my landscaping timeframe to keep from harming my neighbor's hive.

HOWEVER, sting me once, I don't care.  Sting me twice, I still don't care.  Sting my kids, I'm looking for answers.  The know it all's already know that it was a hornet/wasp/whatever because there is no way in gods green earth, regardless of historical records, that a bee (of any kind) could possibly sting somebody.  I'm not an expert, I'm just an Arfcommer who enjoys the site and was hoping to find some quick answers to keep my little ones from being stung.  Hopefully the hurt feelz get put aside.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good point.  I'm trying to be polite to my neighbor while still being able to operate mowers, weed eaters, edgers, and hedge trimmers without being stung.   I use a bunch of tools to keep my home looking nice.  If there's something I can do to keep the bees calm, I'm all for it.  I don't want to go all scorched earth just yet.

It's becoming obvious that the power tools are bothering them and that they are reacting in kind (contrary to the bullshit the GD assholes are spewing).  I'm more than willing to adjust my landscaping timeframe to keep from harming my neighbor's hive.

HOWEVER, sting me once, I don't care.  Sting me twice, I still don't care.  Sting my kids, I'm looking for answers.  The know it all's already know that it was a hornet/wasp/whatever because there is no way in gods green earth, regardless of historical records, that a bee (of any kind) could possibly sting somebody.  I'm not an expert, I'm just an Arfcommer who enjoys the site and was hoping to find some quick answers to keep my little ones from being stung.  Hopefully the hurt feelz get put aside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have provided very little information to help solve the problem.  You have only mentioned two bee stings- I am assuming there were more?  Did you have to remove a stinger each time?  Are they in a particular part of the yard?  Do you know where the neighbor's hives are?  How big are the properties (how far away are the hives now/ how far could they reasonably be moved?). What's the water situation ?

If you want to start a war with your neighbor by killing off her bees, you're on your own.  If you want to solve the problem, well, call somebody local who can help (as posted above).  If you want assistance here, more information would be helpful.  If you just wanted a flame war... Well, my bad then, and I'll leave you to it.

Edit: spelling
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#29]
When I first saw this post I thought it said how to get rid of beers.

I know how to get rid of beers.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#30]
The only time I've ever been stung by a bee was once on the arm while I was just sitting there minding my own business.

Sevin Dust fixes most bug problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only time I've ever been stung by a bee was once on the arm while I was just sitting there minding my own business.

View Quote

Yes it will, but it's an absolute evil pesticide.  The bees take it back to the hive, the bees put it in their comb,  if it doesn't weaken and kill the hive outright, it'll be in their honey.  ...and people will eat it.  

I absolutely hate sevendust.   There are lots of pesticides that will cause hive collapse, and potentially cross contaminate people.

Honeybees are easy enough to deal with, if she has particularly defensive, aggressive bees.  Which is a possibility, she probably should go ahead and requeen the hives.   The problem will fix itself.  

Relocating the hives is another option.  

There are lots of different options before using pesticides, and contributing to hive collapse.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#32]
It isnt the bees. Are you pulling stingers out of their arms? I'm thinking there's a small wasp nest somewhere. I mean a nest with small wasps. I have em around my cabin and they are a major source of aggravation for me.

ETA:

Read the part about power tools and YUP. That can possibly do it.  A foreign loud noise that emulates danger can set them off. Even non-africanized bees have attacked people using loud instruments doing yard work. Bees have levels of aggression that vary greatly. It isnt just european vs african. There can be mixed breeding and different hives can react to different things. There was a study a while back on aggressive bees vs docile bees and overall survivability to the elements and disease. If I recall they had found the more aggressive hives had higher survivability.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes it will, but it's an absolute evil pesticide.  The bees take it back to the hive, the bees put it in their comb,  if it doesn't weaken and kill the hive outright, it'll be in their honey.  ...and people will eat it.  

I absolutely hate sevendust.
 There are lots of pesticides that will cause hive collapse, and potentially cross contaminate people.

Honeybees are easy enough to deal with, if she has particularly defensive, aggressive bees.  Which is a possibility, she probably should go ahead and requeen the hives.   The problem will fix itself.  

There are lots of different options before using pesticides, and contributing to hive collapse.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I absolutely hate sevendust.
 There are lots of pesticides that will cause hive collapse, and potentially cross contaminate people.

I don't disagree with most of that, as you seem to know more about bees than I do.  Just wanted to mention that I think Sevendust has a few good songs though.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a rather large honey bees nest in a post in my barn. The gate to said barn is hinged to said post. Been putting round bales of hay in the barn all summer, constantly opening and closing gate, driving so close to the post at times that my rear tire misses it by inches. And this is easily a 70 hp tractor with an open cab. I have yet to be stung. I am gonna have to agree that it's prolly not a honey bee stinging but something else very similar.

I say we all have a drink or 5 and enjoy this thread before the lock!

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
No, not sure.  I assumed it because the neighbor offered the kids some fresh honey comb last year.  I don't know for sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have wild bees in a tree in the yard and they never mess with us or the yard guys.....

Are you sure its the honey bees that are getting them?

No, not sure.  I assumed it because the neighbor offered the kids some fresh honey comb last year.  I don't know for sure.

Shocking.

Try find our exactly what is stinging your family.  Otherwise you are going to get in a pissing contest over your assumptions and accomplish nothing.

Domestic honeybees are gentle and you really have to piss them off to get stung.

Not so much wasps, hornets, Yellow Jackets etc etc etc - which ARE NOT BEES.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kids are starting to get stung when we're doing yard work and I promised them I would find a solution.  

bullshit

I have bees and kids, unless your fuck with them honey bees wont sting you

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz5BTNFhwbFUlKBK2Ddh56wNPxFV_tzUmZoUd31BECyv8CGRH4aHMp5qE

Were there stingers left where they stung?  Honeybees basically gut themselves when they sting, yellowjackets and other hornets do not.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#37]
DDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Look for a nest of wasps or yellow jackets in the ground.  My mom used to keep bees and you had to work to get stung.  OTOH I've been popped by half a dozen times in just a few seconds by yellow jackets while pulling weeds in the garden.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some bees will sting when you run a mower or weedeater, but usually only within 30' of the hive (at most). You can have hive robbing events during a nectar dearth that can send out a bunch of pissed off bees to around 125' (but this only happens 1-2x a year). Best bet is to talk to your neighbor and see if she can move the hives further away from your property line. However, if they are over 50' away and are stinging your family when mowing, they probably aren't here hives getting riled up; just you mowing a bunch of bees on flowers on the ground and pissing them off.  
View Quote

This is spot on. I don't know if its the sound of a 2 stroke or maybe the smell of the exhaust, but lawnmowers don't get mine riled, while the weedeater does.
I like my bees and all, but would be ready to move the ones from here at the house if they were a problem for neighbors.
You should ask if she has a plan, she may be oblivious but very willing to accommodate, like I would be.

But then again, I have been largely unimpressed with beekeepers in general, as far as interpersonal relations go. They are a strange lot, by and large, and can be spiteful as hell.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Bullshit ,honey bees don't sting unless you're fucking with them,They crawl all over me when I trim my apple tree and I never get stung.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#41]
lol

This thread didn't go as the OP had planned.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't think it's your neighbors bees, look for a wild nest someplace on or near your property.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This, I have 40ac of buckwheat in my back yard. There is a constant loud humming sound  at all times, thousands of bees. My kids have never been stung by a bee.they have even rescued several from the pool water by hand.
Don't fuck with them and they are harmless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

I have bees and kids, unless you fuck with them honey bees wont sting you

This, I have 40ac of buckwheat in my back yard. There is a constant loud humming sound  at all times, thousands of bees. My kids have never been stung by a bee.they have even rescued several from the pool water by hand.
Don't fuck with them and they are harmless.

LOL OP- this is the correct answer.  Plain jane honey bees are very docile.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#44]
OP is Henry Winkler...

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have wild bees in a tree in the yard and they never mess with us or the yard guys.....
Are you sure its the honey bees that are getting them?
View Quote

+1

Honey bees are pretty passive.  Yellow Jackets and other wasps will sting with little provocation, even walking near their nest will often do it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't think it's your neighbors bees, look for a wild nest someplace on or near your property.  

View Quote

I haven't found wild ones to be any more aggressive.
And I am allergic and do pay attention.
One nest is in a tree that I mow and weedeat around.

Again look for yellow jackets.

Op if it might help you to know that if it was a honey bee that stung you or your kids  then it's dead now so you already won.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#47]
As everyone else has said, honey bees are typically not aggressive at all.  Unless you serious mess with them, they leave you alone.

Now if there are some yellow jackets around. Those MFers are aggressive and generally pissed off at the world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Think hard about trying to kill them.  In a lot of states it is illegal to destroy a managed hive.  If you poison them and she finds out, you may well end up buying her some brand new bees.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't believe this didn't get mentioned earlier.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top