User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have wild bees in a tree in the yard and they never mess with us or the yard guys.....
Are you sure its the honey bees that are getting them?
View Quote

No, not sure.  I assumed it because the neighbor offered the kids some fresh honey comb last year.  I don't know for sure.
View Quote

are you one of those "every dog attack is a pit bull!" guy?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Just mowed the yard and for this thread I ramed my lawn mower into the tree with the hive repeatedly.
Bees seemed not to care but I saw one look at me with a ''are you drunk or stupid'' look
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed OP is in Texas? Aren't those bees all partially Africanized by now? If so they won't be as docile as pure honey bees.
View Quote

No, If they were wild bees, then yes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't disagree with most of that, as you seem to know more about bees than I do.  Just wanted to mention that I think Sevendust has a few good songs though.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fe/Sevendustdecay1.jpg/220px-Sevendustdecay1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only time I've ever been stung by a bee was once on the arm while I was just sitting there minding my own business.

Sevin Dust fixes most bug problems.

Yes it will, but it's an absolute evil pesticide.  The bees take it back to the hive, the bees put it in their comb,  if it doesn't weaken and kill the hive outright, it'll be in their honey.  ...and people will eat it.  

I absolutely hate sevin dust.
 There are lots of pesticides that will cause hive collapse, and potentially cross contaminate people.

Honeybees are easy enough to deal with, if she has particularly defensive, aggressive bees.  Which is a possibility, she probably should go ahead and requeen the hives.   The problem will fix itself.  

Relocating the hives is another option.  

There are lots of different options before using pesticides, and contributing to hive collapse.  

I don't disagree with most of that, as you seem to know more about bees than I do.  Just wanted to mention that I think Sevendust has a few good songs though.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fe/Sevendustdecay1.jpg/220px-Sevendustdecay1.jpg

Sevin dust

...my bad.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It isnt the bees. Are you pulling stingers out of their arms? I'm thinking there's a small wasp nest somewhere. I mean a nest with small wasps. I have em around my cabin and they are a major source of aggravation for me.

ETA:

Read the part about power tools and YUP. That can possibly do it.  A foreign loud noise that emulates danger can set them off. Even non-africanized bees have attacked people using loud instruments doing yard work. Bees have levels of aggression that vary greatly. It isnt just european vs african. There can be mixed breeding and different hives can react to different things. There was a study a while back on aggressive bees vs docile bees and overall survivability to the elements and disease. If I recall they had found the more aggressive hives had higher survivability.
View Quote

I worked in a flower bed for about an hour earlier this morning.  The bees were out but didn't give two shits about me.  When I fired up the hedge trimmer, they got noticeably agitated.  More bees, more contact, stung once.  I managed to swat one while on my neck and compared it to photos shared earlier as well as online pics.  Yep, honey bee.  They really don like my power tools.  I have to figure out a way around this.  If I work 15 yards farther away, they don't care, but I have a bunch of plants near her property line that need to be trimmed every so often.  I hate the thought of having to use pruning shears for several hedges.

ETA Thank you to those who im'd me with useful suggestions and constructive criticism's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I worked in a flower bed for about an hour earlier this morning.  The bees were out but didn't give two shits about me.  When I fired up the hedge trimmer, they got noticeably agitated.  More bees, more contact, stung once.  I managed to swat one while on my neck and compared it to photos shared earlier as well as online pics.  Yep, honey bee.  They really don like my power tools.  I have to figure out a way around this.  If I work 15 yards farther away, they don't care, but I have a bunch of plants near her property line that need to be trimmed every so often.  I hate the thought of having to use pruning shears for several hedges.

ETA Thank you to those who im'd me with useful suggestions and constructive criticism's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It isnt the bees. Are you pulling stingers out of their arms? I'm thinking there's a small wasp nest somewhere. I mean a nest with small wasps. I have em around my cabin and they are a major source of aggravation for me.

ETA:

Read the part about power tools and YUP. That can possibly do it.  A foreign loud noise that emulates danger can set them off. Even non-africanized bees have attacked people using loud instruments doing yard work. Bees have levels of aggression that vary greatly. It isnt just european vs african. There can be mixed breeding and different hives can react to different things. There was a study a while back on aggressive bees vs docile bees and overall survivability to the elements and disease. If I recall they had found the more aggressive hives had higher survivability.

If 15' makes that much difference, the hives may be just over the fence.  I'd talk to the neighbor about it, ask if the hives could be moved further from the fence.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Once you are stung, or smack one bee, exit the area as soon as possible.  When a bee stings it emits a pheromone to attract other bees.  They're marking you.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, not sure.  I assumed it because the neighbor offered the kids some fresh honey comb last year.  I don't know for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have wild bees in a tree in the yard and they never mess with us or the yard guys.....

You probably have a yellow jacket nest somewhere.

I have a hive of honey bees.  I mow right past the front of the hive in mid-afternoon without a reaction from them.  I opened the hive up last week to add a feeder since pollen is tapering off.  No suit, no stings.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

I tend to maintain aggressive (hot) hives for this very reason. I'm also on 20 acres and my closest neighbor is a half mile away. If one mentioned a problem, I would certainly change what I'm doing, to a degree (re-queen to a more docile variety).

It sounds like the hives are right on the property border. Talk to her and see if she can move them. If she refuses, most cities have ordinances about how close hives can be to property lines.

It might be worth investigating the hedges. There may be an open hive of feral bees inside of it.

As a beekeeper, I hope you find a way to remedy this problem without using poison. I also understand that to some people, bee's can be a problem. If I was your neighbor, I'd hope you'd come to me first. Then again, I wouldn't put my hives right at the border. Two way street and all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me tinks all be are Africanized by now. It's still not a big deal.
View Quote

Even there, colonies don't get africanized unless you collect a random swarm or the queen is superceded, which only happens if you are a complete idiot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even there, colonies don't get africanized unless you collect a random swarm or the queen is superceded, which only happens if you are a complete idiot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.... Not all bee's are Africanized....  We don't have honey badgers here in the US... Again...  My dad's hive I would have to continuously kick the "F" out of it continuously before one of them even consider to sting me......  Hell the only time my dad has been stung is when he was robbing the hive and accidentally grabbed one......

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No.... Not all bee's are Africanized....  We don't have honey badgers here in the US... Again...  My dad's hive I would have to continuously kick the "F" out of it continuously before one of them even consider to sting me......  Hell the only time my dad has been stung is when he was robbing the hive and accidentally grabbed one......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But beekeepers monitor it.  Some queens do produce a more aggressive hive.  The beekeepers that don't mind that trait because of other tradeoffs, like perhaps the bees have hygienic behavior when it comes to mites.  Others will requeen the hive, and breed out the aggressiveness.  

In the case of the OP, the best advice has already been given several times.

Talk to your neighbor.  If you're being molested by bees the hives must be pretty close to your property line.  Perhaps the beekeeper can move her hives and solve the problem.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But beekeepers monitor it.  Some queens do produce a more aggressive hive.  The beekeepers that don't mind that trait because of other tradeoffs, like perhaps the bees have hygienic behavior when it comes to mites.  Others will requeen the hive, and breed out the aggressiveness.  

Talk to your neighbor.  If you're being molested by bees the hives must be pretty close to your property line.  Perhaps the beekeeper can move her hives and solve the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have to specifically ask my dad what the "breed" of his bee's are.  I "think" he said they are from Hawaii and they are as hostile as flies.  It damn near takes you picking one up and jabing its stinger in you to get stung.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed OP is in Texas? Aren't those bees all partially Africanized by now? If so they won't be as docile as pure honey bees.
View Quote

This. Just a couple of weeks ago a guy working for a bee relocation service got stung numerous times and ended up dying. It ironically was his first day with the company so I suspect he didn't really know what he was doing. But, they were indicating that the larger problem is that they were an Africanized variety. That's here in Vegas so it could easily happen in TX.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would have to specifically ask my dad what the "breed" of his bee's are.  I "think" he said they are from Hawaii and they are as hostile as flies.  It damn near takes you picking one up and jabing its stinger in you to get stung.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely agree.  Most hives are pretty damn docile.  But occasionally you do get queens that produce more defensive hives.  Verona mite and other problems have resulted in beekeepers trying to produce hygienic queens.  Some of these can be more aggressive.  Some of the Russians can get "more active" working hives.  Some of them can be more aggressive.  But beekeepers usually requeen problem hives.  They kill the producing queen, and put another in.  The problem corrects itself in a generation.  

But back to the OP, he needs to talk to the beekeeper.  Beekeepers are very aware of the natural phobia non-beekeepers have about bees.  Most of them will bend over backwards to make it okay with their neighbors.  

If she has the hives right on the property line, she might be able to move them.  Bees don't just attack. It's a suicide mission. They attack to defend their hive.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know put up a bug zapper?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I completely agree.  Most hives are pretty damn docile.  But occasionally you do get queens that produce more defensive hives.  Verona mite and other problems have resulted in beekeepers trying to produce hygienic queens.  Some of these can be more aggressive.  Some of the Russians can get "more active" working hives.  Some of them can be more aggressive.  But beekeepers usually requeen problem hives.  They kill the producing queen, and put another in.  The problem corrects itself in a generation.  

But back to the OP, he needs to talk to the beekeeper.  Beekeepers are very aware of the natural phobia non-beekeepers have about bees.  Most of them will bend over backwards to make it okay with their neighbors.  

If she has the hives right on the property line, she might be able to move them.  Bees don't just attack. It's a suicide mission. They attack to defend their hive.  

View Quote

Very well said sir!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]

I completely agree.  Most hives are pretty damn docile.  But occasionally you do get queens that produce more defensive hives.  Verona mite and other problems have resulted in beekeepers trying to produce hygienic queens.  Some of these can be more aggressive.  Some of the Russians can get "more active" working hives.  Some of them can be more aggressive.  But beekeepers usually requeen problem hives.  They kill the producing queen, and put another in.  
View All Quotes

I completely agree.  Most hives are pretty damn docile.  But occasionally you do get queens that produce more defensive hives.  Verona mite and other problems have resulted in beekeepers trying to produce hygienic queens.  Some of these can be more aggressive.  Some of the Russians can get "more active" working hives.  Some of them can be more aggressive.  But beekeepers usually requeen problem hives.  They kill the producing queen, and put another in.  
The stresses added by varroa mite infestation can cause an otherwise docile hive to become "hot". When I'm working hives and one that is normally docile becomes aggressive, I immediately dig farther to find the cause. Heavy mite load is normally what I find. Small Hive Beetle is a close second. In a few, it's a poorly laying queen or queenless hive. Some are just fine and mean. You learn to deal with it.

IMO, the africanized thing has become a catchall for aggressive hives.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Raise bald faced hornets.
View Quote

Then raise raccoons to eat the hornet nest.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Not trimming quote tree again jmills224

But I have encountered in rare cases an aggressive hive.  But I knew the signs.  Bee's bouncing off me.....  They never stung me, and I turned around and walked away and have never been stung.  I stress RARE.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Bees sense fear (humans excrete various pheromones when they are frightened) and the bees pick up on it and sense it as a agression of sorts.

I used to be very afraid of bees when I was little and I would be stung often (partly because i would flail about and scream and run)

Once I learned that bees really don't care about me as long as I don't fuck with them I actually LIKE bees and welcome them in my yard as I would song birds and good friends.

Haven't been stung since.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I knew it was getting bad but I'm on my phone?

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bees sense fear (humans excrete various pheromones when they are frightened) and the bees pick up on it and sense it as a agression of sorts.

I used to be very afraid of bees when I was little and I would be stung often (partly because i would flail about and scream and run)

Once I learned that bees really don't care about me as long as I don't fuck with them I actually LIKE bees and welcome them in my yard as I would song birds and good friends.

Haven't been stung since.
View Quote

I'm alergic to bee's, but I've found so long as I don't go babe Ruth on the side of my dad's hive the bee's don't even give me the time of day....

AGAIN..............

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The behavior sounds more like yellowjackets than bees.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own.  Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 My kids are starting to get stung when we're doing yard work and I promised them I would find a solution.  

bullshit

I have bees and kids, unless your fuck with them honey bees wont sting you

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz5BTNFhwbFUlKBK2Ddh56wNPxFV_tzUmZoUd31BECyv8CGRH4aHMp5qE

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own.  Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.

I'm no bee keeper but I'm studying up to become one. From what Ive learned and seen I doubt it was the honey bees. I've noticed that if I approach the hive in the flight path and get within ten feet they tend to get pissed but always warn me first. Like bouncing off my face.

I'd look for ground bees or hornets.
Even tending to my apple trees in the spring when its loaded with honey bees they never sting me.

Look at the carcass of the bee that stung your kid, if its a honey bee most likely it will still be there, pulling its guts out. Hornets hit and run.

We need to help honey bees they are dying off. I'd hate to see you take them out only to find hornets or yellow jackets.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 My kids are starting to get stung when we're doing yard work and I promised them I would find a solution.  

bullshit

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRz5BTNFhwbFUlKBK2Ddh56wNPxFV_tzUmZoUd31BECyv8CGRH4aHMp5qE

Here is something informative:  Likely your kid was stung by a wasp with a nest in the hedge, or he could have annoyed another stinging insect...  Oh fuck, why bother.  Go ahead dad-of-dindu, play your stupid games.  SMH  And they think '13ers are so bad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there you have it.  Fuckin' '15er.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

bullshit

I have bees and kids, unless you fuck with them honey bees wont sting you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Never come across an africanized cross breed, I take it?  My family is who the tricounty area calls to remove natural hives.  Some bees are simply ZFG

Op how far from property lines are the boxes?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Second.

A friend of mines dad growing up kept bees. I spent countless hours on the property and near the boxes and never once got stung. If your kids are getting stung they are doing something wrong. Bees are awesome and globally we are facing a problem with shrinking bee populations which are needed for pollination of crops we depend on. I've contemplated taking up bee keeping myself once I can move out to my rural property full time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Honey bees, and even the carpenter bees in my yard don't bother me if I don't bother them.  I have even inadvertently "picked" a carpenter bee off my berry vines, and because I released it the moment my fingers realized it wasn't a loganberry, I was not stung.  I think you probably have some sweat bees in the ground somewhere.

I hate sweat bees because they look like a skinny honeybee, but are actually cousins to the Yellowjackets.  Those bastards are VERY aggressive, especially after I ran my gas weed whacker over their nest....Geezus, talk about pissed off, and a stinging bunch of angry critters!

I would bet money it is NOT honey bees, rather you have some sweat bees somewhere.
View Quote

I've swatted countless sweat bees and never been stung by one. I think you have something other than sweat bees.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own. Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Well, good for you sweetheart.  My kid just got stung trimming the hedge in the front yard.  My other kid got stung a couple weeks ago.  I didn't imagine it and neither did he.  His ear didn't magically swell up on it's own. Mabey its the power yard tools that are aggravating them?  I don't know.  If you have something informative for the discussion,  I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise fuck off.

lol

You came here asking for advice on how to fuck with your neighbors property.

Yet you tel him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Never come across an africanized cross breed, I take it?  My family is who the tricounty area calls to remove natural hives.  Some bees are simply ZFG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bullshit

Eggsactly. TaylorWSO does not deal with bees. If he did, he would not have written that statement.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Check YouTube. Those Africanize bees are aggressive. Lots of videos to keep you awake tonight.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Minimally, I'd say neighbor owes you a 4 pound bottle of honey!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

True, but not the part about the pheromone.  Crushing a bee's body releases formic acid, which triggers a defensive response.  Only the queen emits a pheromone.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you are stung, or smack one bee, exit the area as soon as possible.  When a bee stings it emits a pheromone to attract other bees.  They're marking you.  

True, but not the part about the pheromone.  Crushing a bee's body releases formic acid, which triggers a defensive response.  Only the queen emits a pheromone.  

Not to argue with the Beekeeper, but all the bees in the hive release pheromones.  Different pheromones for different reasons. Workers emit all kinds of chemicals when they die, which happens when they sting.  

Two main alarm pheromones have been identified in honeybee workers. One is released by the Koschevnikov gland, near the sting shaft, and consists of more than 40 chemical compounds, including isopentyl acetate (IPA), butyl acetate, 1-hexanol, n-butanol, 1-octanol, hexyl acetate, octyl acetate, n-pentyl acetate and 2-nonanol. These chemical compounds have low molecular weights, are highly volatile, and appear to be the least specific of all pheromones. Alarm pheromones are released when a bee stings another animal, and attract other bees to the location and causes the other bees to behave defensively, i.e. sting or charge. The alarm pheromone emitted when a bee stings another animal smells like bananas.[5] Smoke can mask the bees' alarm pheromone.

The other alarm pheromone is released by the mandibular glands and consists of 2-heptanone, which is also a highly volatile substance. This compound has a repellent effect and it was proposed that it is used to deter potential enemies and robber bees. Interestingly, the amounts of 2-heptanone increase with the age of bees and becomes higher in the case of foragers. It was therefore suggested that 2-heptanone is used by foragers to scent-mark recently visited and depleted foraging locations, which indeed are avoided by foraging bees. However, this has recently been proven false. In a new discovery, it was determined that bees actually use 2-heptanone as an anesthetic and to paralyze intruders. After the intruders are paralyzed, the bees remove them from the hive.[6]

The queen emits a specific set of pheromones, that the others don't.  I find it absolutely fascinating.   Bees have always amazed me.

But again, to the OP, please talk to the beekeeper in question. I'm sure she'll work with you.  Don't resort to poison.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Eggsactly. TaylorWSO does not deal with bees. If he did, he would not have written that statement.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Africanized bees don't typically do well in cold climates, so we up here in the high desert don't have to deal with them on nearly the level you southern gents do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I am a beekeeper, and in fairness to OP, there are a few things that can be causing the attacks he is referring to.  While it is true that a foraging bee will not attack unless messed with, bees near the hive are a different matter.  While generally docile, there are several factors that can cause aggressive bee behavior because they will perceive them as an attack on the hive and the guard bees will respond in kind.

1) This time of the year there is a nectar dearth in most part of the country.  This will cause bees near their hive to behave more aggressively because of honey robbing going on by other bee colonies and yellow jackets.
2) If the hive is in close proximity to his yard (within 25 to 50 feet), the guard bees from the hive will go out that far if they perceive a threat.
3) If the owner of the have has been working on it without smoking the bees, they will get very agitated.  I have seen this happen time and time again.  It takes several days for a hive to calm down once opened without smoking the bees.
4) Bees are known to be set off by loud noises and vibrations when already in an agitated state.  If OP's son is mowing the lawn, and the above conditions are present, I can easily see him getting attacked by guard bees.

Sounds like the hive next door to OP is "hot", or the bees are in an agitated state and are being set off by further disturbance.  If his neighbor is opening hives without smoking the bees, especially this time of year, and she has them in close proximity to her neighbors, she is being irresponsible.  OP can turn to the county extension office for help and let them know there is a hot hive next to his property.  Most states will intervene and have the beekeeper relocate the hive, or work with them to identify why the bees are being aggressive.  OP could also just try talking to his neighbor.  If she is an ass about it and the county won't help, then file a lawsuit.  Any responsible beekeeper knows to keep hives located where there will be a minimal chance of the guard bees attacking perceived threats (i.e., other people).

Case in point - I was out running yesterday afternoon on a country road near my home and ran past a cluster of hives kept by one of the local honey producers.  The hives are situated about 10 feet from the shoulder of the road.  As I ran past on the opposite side of the road, several bees attacked me and I was stung once.  I wasn't surprised at all because of reasons above: nectar dearth, proximity to the roadway means constant disturbance by motor vehicles and farm machinery, and I know for a fact that the owner works on the hives without smoking them.  I was close enough that the bees saw me as a threat and they were in an agitated state.  Not much I can do about that one, but the owner of the bees is still an ass for handling them the way he does and placing the hives where he did.

If this is happening in OP's yard I don't blame him for being pissed.  There are good beekeepers and assholes that keep bees.  Sounds like OP's neighbor may be the latter, or she is just very uneducated about bee behavior.  I have a hive that is about 150 feet from my neighbor's house.  It has never been an issue for him and his kids even when I had a hot hive a few years ago.  Had it been closer, it may have been a different story.  I now smoke my bees before any work and have not had a hot hive since.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

bullshit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bullshit

Potentially Africanized?

A.W.D.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top