Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/25/2013 4:21:27 PM EDT
Explain to me how Luke was able to have these in depth conversations with R2 with his very small vocabulary of Beeps and Boops.  I can understand how he was able to discern R2’s general mood by interpreting his sounds.

For example:  “Hey, R2, I wanna fuck the shit out of that Leia chic.  What do you think?”  R2 says, “Bwooboop”  I can see how he would be able to interpret that as, “You may want to rethink that, broheim.”

But what about, “Hey, R2, do you have good recipes for Tatooine chicken?”  And R2 says, “Beepbeep boo woooo wrrbeeboop wootwrr beepdoo wrrrr.”  And Luke is able to translate to, “Ok, I marinate the chicken in olive oil and Italian seasoning for 3 hours and then put it in the oven @ 400 for an hour or until the juices run blue.”

That’s ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
High?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
He knew the language.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
He read the script?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He knew the language.
View Quote

Same way Han understood Chewie

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, it's a movie
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Magic. Although when he was in his fighter with the little dude in back there were text readouts on an MFD. Maybe he was just hearing what he wanted to hear
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
High?
View Quote

Luke or R2?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It was a movie
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You aren't a Jedi so you wouldn't understand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If that bothered you, don't watch the prequels.   The level of B.S. there is unfathomable.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
The force dude...

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Luke or R2?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
High?

Luke or R2?

You for thinking about this
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Re-watch the movies. The only time he has a real conversation with him is when R2 is flying in the backseat of his X-wing. There's a small monitor in Luke's cockpit that translates what R2 is beeping.

The rest of the time, he has to check with C3P0, or when he's on Dagobah, he just sort of deduces what R2 is saying by the tone of his beeps. (Kind of like conversing with a dog.)

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay. So intergalactic space traveling magicians and aliens are okay, but someone being able to understand another language is impossible?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Re-watch the movies. The only time he has a real conversation with him is when R2 is flying in the backseat of his X-wing. There's a small monitor in Luke's cockpit that translates what R2 is beeping.

The rest of the time, he has to check with C3P0, or when he's on Dagobah, he just sort of deduces what R2 is saying by the tone of his beeps. (Kind of like conversing with a dog.)

View Quote

Doesn't Han have a pretty complex discussion with a droid at one point?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
i thought in empire it showed R2's words on a display in the x-wing...when he's away, well who knows..

ETA: missed it by that much!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
In one scene of the 2nd movie, while in the X Fighter, when R2D2 is speaking to Luke, you can see a translation come up on a display in the cockpit so that Luke can understand what it is saying.

Edit:
Steelycr beat me to it by a minute.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't C3PO his interpreter?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

He read the script?
View Quote

This is making me think of the RedLetterMedia reviews...

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay. So intergalactic space traveling magicians and aliens are okay, but someone being able to understand another language is impossible?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but droids don't rip people's arms off when they're misunderstood.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Our president understands what the wookie says.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#24]
The robots didn't exist except in Luke's mind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell, if you had to do maintenance on moisture separators, you would talk to 'droids too.

I can't believe I just typed that
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't think he could. Either 3PO would translate or he had the led in his cockpit. The "conversations" between Luke and R2 were actually just Luke talking to him, they were not really conversations.

But I have now given this way too much thought.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#28]

"R2, you know I don't speak Spanish.  In English please".
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#29]

good one

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...nothing comes to mind. Han does talk to a lot of aliens though: Chewie, Greedo, Jabba, etc.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#31]
good grief...  Why does snoopy need a scarf on the moon?

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Morse code.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#34]

beepbeep woooooo
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you talk to your dog?

I do all the time.  I read his body language for a reply.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I always assumed like talked to R2D2 the same way people talk to their dogs.

Guy: What do you think of that swamp, boy?

Dog: Woof!

Guy: Yeah you're right, it's treacherous. Should we go around?

Dog: Woof!

Guy: Good idea let's use that log as a raft.

Edit: beat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Droidspeak is an information-dense language invented by the Baobab Merchant Fleet. It was designed so that most people could understand the jist of what was being said by the tone and mannerisms of the droid in question.

So Luke could only understand R2 completely in a fighter (using the scomp-link readout) or when 3PO was playing interpreter. The rest of the time he just used his extensive experience with droids (the ones on his farm used the same language) to get the jist of R2's side of the conversation. In the books Luke is actually eventually able to understand R2 almost completely due to extensive familiarity with the droid language.

I knew that from memory.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Lemme get this straight: You're totally okay with blasters, hyperspace, telekinesis, mind control, spacecraft maneuvering like Spitfires...but you can't wrap your head around understanding an advanced version of Morse Code?!
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Droidspeak is an information-dense language invented by the Baobab Merchant Fleet. It was designed so that most people could understand the jist of what was being said by the tone and mannerisms of the droid in question.

So Luke could only understand R2 completely in a fighter (using the scomp-link readout) or when 3PO was playing interpreter. The rest of the time he just used his extensive experience with droids (the ones on his farm used the same language) to get the jist of R2's side of the conversation. In the books Luke is actually eventually able to understand R2 almost completely due to extensive familiarity with the droid language.

I knew that from memory.  
View Quote

Wow.  U married?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Because he was a geek?
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Same way we talk to our dogs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wow.  U married?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew that from memory.  

Wow.  U married?
Nope! But I'm still in community college, so I don't think I've missed my chance yet. Besides, some of those fangirls

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Explain to me how Luke was able to have these in depth conversations with R2 with his very small vocabulary of Beeps and Boops.  I can understand how he was able to discern R2’s general mood by interpreting his sounds.

For example:  “Hey, R2, I wanna fuck the shit out of that Leia chic.  What do you think?”  R2 says, “Bwooboop”  I can see how he would be able to interpret that as, “You may want to rethink that, broheim.”

But what about, “Hey, R2, do you have good recipes for Tatooine chicken?”  And R2 says, “Beepbeep boo woooo wrrbeeboop wootwrr beepdoo wrrrr.”  And Luke is able to translate to, “Ok, I marinate the chicken in olive oil and Italian seasoning for 3 hours and then put it in the oven @ 400 for an hour or until the juices run blue.”

That’s ridiculous.
View Quote

Dude.....stop drinking and go to bed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#46]
some will argue that Luke was using the force to read what R2D2 was saying.  Others may dismiss it altogether with some lame ass explanation like "it's a movie.  The truth is way deeper than that and once revealed it explains so many other things in the story.

Let me begin to open your eyes.

luke was a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.  The truth is that he was a meth head living in his uncles basement and drove around in a 15 year old beater that he chopped the roof off of so it would "look cool".  He even convinced himself that he could shoot bombats at 15 parcepts with a plasma rifle while everyone who's ever fired a plasma rifle knows this is impossible. You can't even see a bombat at anything greater than 5 parcepts!  The entire story was a delusional episode brought on by dropping a month old tab of tainted Banta meat.

R2D2 was not a robot , it was a vacuum cleaner.  c3P0 was his watch.  old ben was a homeless wanderer who fell in a sewer grate while tripping. His balls off  The deathstar was a huge discotheque.  chewie was a duster made from banta hair.   Basically everything else was a delusion. Except the ewoks, they were lasso apsos that the uncle raised in his puppy mill out back.  

Watch it again with that knowledge and you will see that everything suddenly makes sense.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I am leaning towards the idea of when my beer is nearly empty and I somehow know there is but one more left, and I dig in the cooler bam last one. Yeah that's how.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#49]
In before the R2 beams the stripper hologram
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#50]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babel_fish_(The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy)#Babel_fish

"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain, the practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language: the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix."[4]

It is a universal translator that neatly crosses the language divide between any species. The book points out that the Babel fish could not possibly have developed naturally, and therefore it both proves and disproves the existence of God:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.""But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.""Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic."Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.[5]

Arthur Dent commented only 'Eurgh!' when first inserting the fish into his ear. It enabled him to understand Vogon Poetry - not necessarily a good thing.
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top