Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

some will argue that Luke was using the force to read what R2D2 was saying.  Others may dismiss it altogether with some lame ass explanation like "it's a movie.  The truth is way deeper than that and once revealed it explains so many other things in the story.

Let me begin to open your eyes.

luke was a paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.  The truth is that he was a meth head living in his uncles basement and drove around in a 15 year old beater that he chopped the roof off of so it would "look cool".  He even convinced himself that he could shoot bombats at 15 parcepts with a plasma rifle while everyone who's ever fired a plasma rifle knows this is impossible. You can't even see a bombat at anything greater than 5 parcepts!  The entire story was a delusional episode brought on by dropping a month old tab of tainted Banta meat.

R2D2 was not a robot , it was a vacuum cleaner.  c3P0 was his watch.  old ben was a homeless wanderer who fell in a sewer grate while tripping. His balls off  The deathstar was a huge discotheque.  chewie was a duster made from banta hair.   Basically everything else was a delusion. Except the ewoks, they were lasso apsos that the uncle raised in his puppy mill out back.  

Watch it again with that knowledge and you will see that everything suddenly makes sense.

View Quote
That sounds just like the time I ate 'shrooms while watching the Super Bowl.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Do you talk to your dog?

View Quote

Hey boy, whats on top of the house? Roof!

Whats it feel like to wipe your butt with sand paper? Rough!

Who is the greatest baseball player of all time? Ruth! NO! Dimaggio!

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, but droids don't rip people's arms off when they're misunderstood.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Re-watch the movies. The only time he has a real conversation with him is when R2 is flying in the backseat of his X-wing. There's a small monitor in Luke's cockpit that translates what R2 is beeping.

The rest of the time, he has to check with C3P0, or when he's on Dagobah, he just sort of deduces what R2 is saying by the tone of his beeps. (Kind of like conversing with a dog.)

Doesn't Han have a pretty complex discussion with a droid at one point?

Yeah, but droids don't rip people's arms off when they're misunderstood.

Battle droids do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Because C3PO was fluent in over 6 million languages, so he taught Luke...
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Our president understands what the wookie says.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
He was a farmer that worked around robots alot. I think he just knew the language.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because C3PO was fluent in over 6 million languages, so he taught Luke...
View Quote

No. 6 million forms of communication, some of which are not languages.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The robots didn't exist except in Luke's mind.
View Quote

The movies clearly show that the robots existed before Luke was born.   LUKE didn't exist except in the robot's mind!
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Oh, you clever, clever dog.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I know it was just for him to be a cute sidekick, most Hollywood sidekicks have some sort of comic quirk.
R2 is no different, but with all the other gadgets hidden about his *ahem* person, you would think they
could at least give him an easily understood language.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Droidspeak is an information-dense language invented by the Baobab Merchant Fleet. It was designed so that most people could understand the jist of what was being said by the tone and mannerisms of the droid in question.

So Luke could only understand R2 completely in a fighter (using the scomp-link readout) or when 3PO was playing interpreter. The rest of the time he just used his extensive experience with droids (the ones on his farm used the same language) to get the jist of R2's side of the conversation. In the books Luke is actually eventually able to understand R2 almost completely due to extensive familiarity with the droid language.

I knew that from memory.  
View Quote

I'd only disagree with one thing:

At least up until the time of the Thrawn Trilogy, Luke could only understand if the answer was yes, no, or unsure. Luke could also discern nervous, scared, excited, or happy – never could catch details away from the X-Wing or Threepio for translation. Granted, that's only 9 years after the angle of Yavin, but Luke could pick up on that stuff from the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The same way Barak understands Michele the wookie.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe he knows morse code....
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

At least up until the time of the Thrawn Trilogy, Luke could only understand if the answer was yes, no, or unsure. Luke could also discern nervous, scared, excited, or happy – never could catch details away from the X-Wing or Threepio for translation. Granted, that's only 9 years after the angle of Yavin, but Luke could pick up on that stuff from the beginning.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Droidspeak is an information-dense language invented by the Baobab Merchant Fleet. It was designed so that most people could understand the jist of what was being said by the tone and mannerisms of the droid in question.

So Luke could only understand R2 completely in a fighter (using the scomp-link readout) or when 3PO was playing interpreter. The rest of the time he just used his extensive experience with droids (the ones on his farm used the same language) to get the jist of R2's side of the conversation. In the books Luke is actually eventually able to understand R2 almost completely due to extensive familiarity with the droid language.

I knew that from memory.  

Yep, that's why I said "eventually". During the movies he could only understand the jist, although this was seen as quite a feat in and of itself by many of his companions.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#17]
"WOOF!"

"What's that, Lassie? Timmy's stuck in a well? And we need high angle rescue experience to get him out? Ok, let me write down the coordinates. Ok, grid squares. Have it your way. Yeah, yeah, I know. The ground's unstable and we might fall into a sinkhole."
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#18]
It was extremely difficult due to R2D2's very pronounced lisp.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hmmm...nothing comes to mind. Han does talk to a lot of aliens though: Chewie, Greedo, Jabba, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-watch the movies. The only time he has a real conversation with him is when R2 is flying in the backseat of his X-wing. There's a small monitor in Luke's cockpit that translates what R2 is beeping.
The rest of the time, he has to check with C3P0, or when he's on Dagobah, he just sort of deduces what R2 is saying by the tone of his beeps. (Kind of like conversing with a dog.)

Doesn't Han have a pretty complex discussion with a droid at one point?

Hmmm...nothing comes to mind. Han does talk to a lot of aliens though: Chewie, Greedo, Jabba, etc.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, you are right: Han does converse with a droid who is helping him fix the Falcon, before the Battle of Hoth in "The Empire Strikes Back." The droid isn't speaking English, just a series of beeps that Han seems to understand. I guess Han was the most multi-lingual character in the Trilogy, after C3PO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Explain to me how Luke was able to have these in depth conversations with R2 with his very small vocabulary of Beeps and Boops.  I can understand how he was able to discern R2’s general mood by interpreting his sounds.

For example:  “Hey, R2, I wanna fuck the shit out of that Leia chic.  What do you think?”  R2 says, “Bwooboop”  I can see how he would be able to interpret that as, “You may want to rethink that, broheim.”

But what about, “Hey, R2, do you have good recipes for Tatooine chicken?”  And R2 says, “Beepbeep boo woooo wrrbeeboop wootwrr beepdoo wrrrr.”  And Luke is able to translate to, “Ok, I marinate the chicken in olive oil and Italian seasoning for 3 hours and then put it in the oven @ 400 for an hour or until the juices run blue.”

That’s ridiculous.
View Quote

I read this.

You're drunk.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I knew that from memory.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Our president understands what the wookie says.
View Quote

Does he?  She doesn't make any sense, most of the time.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of this^^^
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

beepbeep woooooo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

beepbeep woooooo

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Some speak jive, some speak droid. You use the skills you got.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Because C3PO was fluent in over 6 million languagesforms of communication, so he taught Luke...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I am more impressed with Han. He is at least quadlingual. Wookie, Hutt, English, and whatever the fuck Greedo was speaking
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
For the love of God!

That's the wrong question, man.

Why couldn't it speak English?  That's the question.

It's huge.  If it can speak in beeps and whistles, it could speak in a human language.

The answer is that R2 D2 is actually Lassie without the fur.

People like to pay money to watch movies where machines make cute noises.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Morse code.
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.  Some form of Morse code.  

What I never understood is why anyone would build astromech droids that could'nt converse/share spoken information in an easier manner to a navigator or pilot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Coolest droid out of the whole Star Wars universe.  HK-47 is easy to understand, no guess work involved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dude, it's a movie
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#34]
It was the midichloreans whispering in his ear.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Explain to me how Luke was able to have these in depth conversations with R2 with his very small vocabulary of Beeps and Boops.  I can understand how he was able to discern R2’s general mood by interpreting his sounds.

For example:  "Hey, R2, I wanna fuck the shit out of that Leia chic.  What do you think?”  R2 says, "Bwooboop”  I can see how he would be able to interpret that as, "You may want to rethink that, broheim.”

But what about, "Hey, R2, do you have good recipes for Tatooine chicken?”  And R2 says, "Beepbeep boo woooo wrrbeeboop wootwrr beepdoo wrrrr.”  And Luke is able to translate to, "Ok, I marinate the chicken in olive oil and Italian seasoning for 3 hours and then put it in the oven @ 400 for an hour or until the juices run blue.”

That’s ridiculous.

View Quote
The same way some people can understand binary.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I am more impressed with Han. He is at least quadlingual. Wookie, Hutt, English, and whatever the fuck Greedo was speaking
View Quote
Han is just badass, which is a universal language.

Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#37]
He understood beep beep boo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
The force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#39]
He knows, the guy in 2B, HE KNOWS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Luke couldn't totally understand R2.

From Empire after they crash land on Dagobah:

R2: "beep beep bloop woooooo

Luke: "If you're saying that coming here was a bad idea, I'm beginning to agree with you."

Like others have mentioned already, in his ship he could read translations on the MFD. Without the aid of a ship or C3P0, Luke just paid attention to inflection and tone to get an idea of what R2 was saying.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#41]
You can translate your words into R2-speak, if you like:

http://www.r2d2translator.com/
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
-
Battle droids do.
View Quote

No they don't.

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Y'know, that brings up an interesting point.  I wonder if any real effort was made to make at least what Jabba spoke and what Greedo spoke actual languages, akin to what Star Trek did with Klingon, or if it was just nonsense gibberish prepared for those scenes?  Can we rule out that Greedo and Jabba spoke different languages?  I haven't seen those movies in years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Y'know, that brings up an interesting point.  I wonder if any real effort was made to make at least what Jabba spoke and what Greedo spoke actual languages, akin to what Star Trek did with Klingon, or if it was just nonsense gibberish prepared for those scenes?  Can we rule out that Greedo and Jabba spoke different languages?  I haven't seen those movies in years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huttese

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Huttese

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huttese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greedo

The language that Greedo speaks is actually Southern Quechua.

Some other aliens speak other real languages, even if they're regional or not well known.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm going with children's fiction.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:01:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Some other aliens speak other real languages, even if they're regional or not well known.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huttese

The language that Greedo speaks is actually Southern Quechua.

From the sounds of it, though, Greedo was supposed to have been speaking Huttese, and the use of this Southern Quechua was possibly not maintained as other authors took off with the language concept in the expanded universe.  Does anyone know if when Jabba and others in the movies spoke, the use of this Quechua base was maintained (I'm talkign movies here, as the whole "expanded universe" thing does nothing for me)?
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#48]
How were one or two members here able to decipher a Snowleopard post?
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#49]
You mean you can't understand R2-D2?  It's not that different from the binary language of moisture vaporators, if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You mean you can't understand R2-D2?  It's not that different from the binary language of moisture vaporators, if that helps.
View Quote

You've been on the farm too long if you talk to the moisture evaporators and they talk back.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top