Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put the fuckin' post in the middle of the fuckin' hole and set your fuckin' target on top.

There, now you're fuckin' qualified on the fuckin' irons.

Fuck. Some of you fuckin' guys think shooting fuckin' irons takes some kind of fuckin' superfuckin'powers.

All this stupid on a gun forum concerns me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck... I may have been a jet engine mechanic, but I still earned my 5th Expert award...

Irons first, then toys...

Irons are the toys.

Effectiveness first, then"oh, shit!" backups.
Backups are kinda useless if you've never been taught the BASICS.

Put the fuckin' post in the middle of the fuckin' hole and set your fuckin' target on top.

Fuck. Some of you fuckin' guys think shooting fuckin' irons takes some kind of fuckin' superfuckin'powers.

Takes training to have the muscle memory and instincts to maintain a clear FSP on a blurry target, in the middle of a fight.

The same is so of BAC, and shooting with both eyes open.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Takes training to have the muscle memory and instincts to maintain a clear FSP on a blurry target, in the middle of a fight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fuck... I may have been a jet engine mechanic, but I still earned my 5th Expert award...

Irons are the toys.

Well in that case, when your scope breaks you might as well just give up and walk away in the middle of a fight instead of deploying irons.

Because muscle memory and shit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How far did you shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Basic, we did a legit zero on M68s and battlefield zero on the irons.

Never needed to use irons and don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal as many of you seem to think, but I still have my team zero them separate from optics just in case.

How far did you shoot?

Don't remember shooting any further than 400m or so
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In Basic, we did a legit zero on M68s and battlefield zero on the irons.

Never needed to use irons and don't think it's anywhere near as big a deal as many of you seem to think, but I still have my team zero them separate from optics just in case.
View Quote

That sounds just about perfect to me.  Teach them, zero them, maybe come up with a quick "irons qual" to do every once in a while.  No sense spending a whole lot of time and ammo on irons in 2016.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If shit goes down that's bad enough to knock out an ACOG, the rifle and/or the man attached to it is going to be taken out, too.

Optics have come a long way since the days of your Fed-Mart Tasco being taken out by falling over onto the garage floor.
View Quote

This

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well in that case, when your scope breaks you might as well just give up and walk away in the middle of a fight instead of deploying irons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irons are the toys.

You aren't making any sense.

Untrained people are just as capable of firing weapons and participating in a fight.   They just aren't very effective.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Untrained people are just as capable of firing weapons and participating in a fight.   They just aren't very effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Untrained as in no training in firearms whatsoever, or untrained in the use of irons on a rifle? How ineffective is "...aren't very effective", and compared to what?

Anybody who has gone through boot camp and been trained on ACOG equipped rifle will do just fine. Shooting an irons equipped pistol is plenty familiarization.

Marines still have to fire a pistol in boot camp, don't they?

In the end, some people are better shooters than others and some people adapt better than others.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Irons or optics, the fundamentals of shooting remain the same.
View Quote
Yep, same basic thing, if you've learned one, you've learned the other.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irons or optics, the fundamentals of shooting remain the same.

Fundamentals, yes. Irons vs the ACOG stadia lines, fuck no.

USMC has always done their job with dudes at extended distances. This is 2016. We have cooler shit than iron sights that are basic issue shit, not special at all. If you have a week to train 18-19 year olds w/ acogs to shoot, you'll teach them how to use the latest/greatest/readily available shit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My sons best friend just got home from Paris Island. He was telling us lots of funny stories and answering questions from my son, who ships off in June of 17.  His friend had gone shooting with us several times prior to enlisting and thanked us for at least giving him a basic familiarization with the AR type rifle, as it made him more comfortable and confident. He had qualified expert and my son asked for specifics, IE whether he had to qualify with the iron sights in addition to the ACOG. His friend said they never used the iron sights at all, and all qualification shooting was with the ACOG.

I kind of figured iron sights to be just as important as optics as they are less likely to fail.  Anyone else know about this? I'm just kind of surprised.
View Quote

I am not surprised ammunition cost money  TRADOC keeps the budget tight

does the USMC issue rifles with BUIS

i I know when we were issued the  aim point  CCOs in 2002 we were expected to keep the carry handle in our ruck with our bayonet.

But think about it
you have 200ish  men per company so you zero the BUIS zero the ACOG then qualify. even if only 12 rounds are needed to zero you need 2400 rounds double it  buy zeroing twice.now 4800 rounds  that is one compant Parris island in June has something like  9-12 companies training.

the real military is very conservative, it is SOCOM that acts like sailors in port.  even line combat battalions in the 82nd ABN receive very little marksmanship training even less live or blank fire non range training.  most of the ammo goes to the crew serves even then it is laughable how little they get.  

don't forget the IRS ammo order 2 years ago that gave irs agents a higher annual  round count than an infantrymen got for training.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With their ACOG's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not good. When Captain Price detonates the EMP over D.C., how will they put rounds on Ivan?

With their ACOG's.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2008 @ Ft Benning we qualified with irons ( B 2/47 )

the infantry guys qualified with either CCOs or ACOGs, not sure if they trained with irons at all.

View Quote

2010 army infantry ft Benning I qualified with irons.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First cursive writing; now iron sights.What is happening to America

View Quote

Oh the military still teaches cursive it is the finial skill taught at ANOC for code makers in intelligence.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Untrained as in no training in firearms whatsoever, or untrained in the use of irons on a rifle? How ineffective is "...aren't very effective", and compared to what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More effective = hitting the target more.

This is basic stuff.

Anybody who has gone through boot camp and been trained on ACOG equipped rifle will do just fine. Shooting an irons equipped pistol is plenty familiarization.

Marines still have to fire a pistol in boot camp, don't they?
You believe that Fam-firing a pistol in boot camp is enough to make someone proficient at shooting irons on a rifle?   lol

In the end, some people are better shooters than others and some people adapt better than others.

Yes.  And those variables are precisely why we have marksmanship training.

Have you ever fired a rifle in combat?  With irons?  Optics?    

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Why the fuck would you teach someone to shoot using an utterly inferior sight?
You can still teach fundamentals with ACOGs
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's why I was kind of surprised by it. Basic marksmanship should include basic iron sight use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I joined (2009) we used iron sights, and I think they should still use them in boot camp at least, even though every issued rifle in the Marine Corps has an RCO now.

Its a lot easier to learn the finer points on an ACOG (after you have the confidence to hit a man sized target at 500 yards with iron sights on an old busted ass M16A2), than it is to try to figure out irons because your ACOG just broke.

That's why I was kind of surprised by it. Basic marksmanship should include basic iron sight use.

Pretty much the only way an ACOG is going to be unusable is if it takes a round or you get blown up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got out of June of 2015. I was infantry. I never met a single Marine who didn't know how to use irons. That being said, none of use, not a single person in my battalion was issued a back up iron sight. We all had an RCO and that was it. I have never seen an RCO go down. We put ours through hell and back. No fancy LaRue mounts, just the stock mount.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irons are the toys.

Irons have some degree of parralax suppression related to aperture size and ergo putting the post in the middle of the hole is not necessary for quality sight alignment.

Instead focus on target and front sight post alignment.

Have you ever used irons before?

I kid I kid.

But on a realistic note irons have the following concepts that can be explored further: sight radius and its relation to depth of field, apertue size as it relates to parralax suppression, and some people don't even use the rear sight properly from the photos I see here and there.

There are lots of complexities in an iron sight setup vs the simplicity of an optic that makes irons a more difficult proposition with far more myth perpetuated in their use than necessary.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That is surprising.  We train with both.  Optics go down.  Know how to use your backups.  
View Quote

You're not ripping your ACOG off in the middle of a fight.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is surprising.  We train with both.  Optics go down.  Know how to use your backups.  

Sure... Just give me 30 minutes to untwist and cut the bailing wire tie down that was mandated by Company SOP... Hopefully there is still someone to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sure... Just give me 30 minutes to untwist and cut the bailing wire tie down that was mandated by Company SOP... Hopefully there is still someone to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I forgot about the damn zip ties
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Makes sense. Target shooting with irons is awesome. Trying to fight with them blows dicks. They are a relic of the past and in all honesty irons on rifles and carbines is pretty fucking silly in a world of ACOGs, M68s, and IR.

In actual combat and not a carbine course you don't actually see the enemy, like, ever. All rifles get used for most of the time is to make enough wizzy cracky noises near the enemy to get them to either go the fuck away or stay put long enough for somebody to kill them with a 240 or Mortars or something that actually produces casualties on targets farther away than across the room.

High quality zeroed BUIS make sense on an HD carbine, not on a carbine in a huge pile of carbines covered in lasers and ACOGs supported by IDF, CAS, armor, and so on. Training time is finite and shouldn't be wasted on stuff that hasn't been useful since probably 1998.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, what was I think thinking.

Reticle + target to line up vs

Rear sight + front sight + target.

And magnification doesn't help any either.

Guess the video games kids play growing up is the reason for the higher number of " Experts" now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else know about this?

Iron sights are not taught in USMC boot camp.

Source:  Father of a Marine

My son joined 2013, they shot optics only. He was so proud to qual  " expert".

I'm  proud of him regardless but the new"expert" is not the same as the old IMO.

Having shot expert with both irons and RCOs I can assure you they are exactly the same.  If you can shoot with a scope you can shoot with irons.  I don't know why some of you guys act like using irons is some wizard like skill.

Put the little stick in the middle of the circle.  Boom now you know how to use irons sights.

Yeah, what was I think thinking.

Reticle + target to line up vs

Rear sight + front sight + target.

And magnification doesn't help any either.

Guess the video games kids play growing up is the reason for the higher number of " Experts" now.

So you'd rather have the "expert" badge be a more limited/prestigious thing than having more Marines who can shoot that well?  Makes sense.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Makes sense. Target shooting with irons is awesome. Trying to fight with them blows dicks. They are a relic of the past and in all honesty irons on rifles and carbines is pretty fucking silly in a world of ACOGs, M68s, and IR.

In actual combat and not a carbine course you don't actually see the enemy, like, ever. All rifles get used for most of the time is to make enough wizzy cracky noises near the enemy to get them to either go the fuck away or stay put long enough for somebody to kill them with a 240 or Mortars or something that actually produces casualties on targets farther away than across the room.

High quality zeroed BUIS make sense on an HD carbine, not on a carbine in a huge pile of carbines covered in lasers and ACOGs supported by IDF, CAS, armor, and so on. Training time is finite and shouldn't be wasted on stuff that hasn't been useful since probably 1998.
View Quote

Don't forget night.

Shooting irons at night sucks, actually shooting irons in anything but bright sunny weather sucks.

Oh and irons suck when the sun is to your back and you get some glare off the rear peep.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That only works if you know how to zero your irons. I still remember my battlesight zero. One click down four right. I can then take any properly mechanically zeroed M16A2 make those adjustments and accurately hit the target.
No doubt optics are superior but there is always that freak thing that happens to your optics that renders them useless. In a combat situation I would prefer to have a backup and know how to employ it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That only works if you know how to zero your irons. I still remember my battlesight zero. One click down four right. I can then take any properly mechanically zeroed M16A2 make those adjustments and accurately hit the target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh, no, that's not how sights work. That is, however, a persistent myth in the Army that I am surprised to read in this forum. You can't just take any rifle, make the same adjustments off mechanical zero, and have "your" zero.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No doubt optics are superior but there is always that freak thing that happens to your optics that renders them useless. In a combat situation I would prefer to have a backup and know how to employ it.
View Quote

That's not how that works...
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are able to pick any sighting system available today, but it has to be the only one, what will you pick?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I heard that it's not because the Marine Corps wanted to, but because all their iron sights ended up on eBay.
View Quote

rofl
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My son entered the USMC in 2010, and still did iron sights at San Diego (Pendleton).  When he did his tours, he used an optic.

He reported that recruits as of about 2 yrs ago were no longer taught iron sight use.

Somehow, I think that makes a rifleman less skilled than a recruit who learned windage & elevation with irons

But what do I know...I am an old guy who just recently learned the benefits of a unity powered optic.

View Quote

Skilled at dialing with irons, sure? A useful skill? sure.  An good competition? sure.
but....
I don't think dialing carry handle knobs and taking long shots with irons is very common in combat these days.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Uhhh, no, that's not how sights work. That is, however, a persistent myth in the Army that I am surprised to read in this forum. You can't just take any rifle, make the same adjustments off mechanical zero, and have "your" zero.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't say it would be perfect. I said accurate as in accurate enough to hit a man sized target. I have done just this and qualified 39 out of 40.
Qualification day and bolt broke on my rifle while verifying zero. Got a rifle off one of my squad mates after he came of the line, set it to mechanical zero, applied my zero to it and shot 39 out of 40. Maybe it was a fluke but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah i have options, acogs etc but a lot of the time my hd blaster just has irons and a light.  its simple and i aint missing across the room or yard lol

hell i would be fine with just a front sight, honestly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Didn't say it would be perfect. I said accurate as in accurate enough to hit a man sized target. I have done just this and qualified 39 out of 40.
Qualification day and bolt broke on my rifle while verifying zero. Got a rifle off one of my squad mates after he came of the line, set it to mechanical zero, applied my zero to it and shot 39 out of 40. Maybe it was a fluke but it worked for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was a rifle from the same delivery and all off the same lot, that sometimes can be expected. But that's because of the rifles, not the zero concept.

I would suppose your squad mates zero wasn't too different from your own, unless he lined up the sights all fucky.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#35]
a lot of the 2 is 1 folks are leaving out that we have lasers for added aiming redundancy as well, and ya dont need to untwist your optic screws.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuck???!?!?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, when I was in recovery, I had a weapon card for a M3A1 so for M16, cough, A1 qualification, I had to draw some random M16.  Every time my battle sight zero changed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you are able to pick any sighting system available today, but it has to be the only one, what will you pick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will start this sub-thread with "thermals on an M1".  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#39]
You only have two weeks to train recruits in boot camp how to shoot. It made sense to train recruits how to use irons in basic when most Marines used irons in the fleet. They taught optics to infantry when they went to SOI. Now, all Marines use optics as the primary system in the fleet.
Since you only have 2 weeks in boot, you use it to train on your primary aiming system. You can teach BUI in MCI and SOI for a few days.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Marines Toughen Rifle Qualification

https://www.thebalance.com/marine-corps-toughens-rifle-qualification-3354415

Supposedly this just took effect 10/1/16 and involves some iron sight shooting if I read it correctly.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The fuck???!?!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuck???!?!?

I've witnessed this being taught to Soldiers for nearly 25 years now.

This kind of derp is rampant, and only scratches the surface.

As Mark Twain famously observed, "it ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

The Army is chock full of people who think they know a lot of things, and it gets passed down through generations.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#42]
In my battalion not one M16A4 or M4 had BUIS. The guys that got blown up by IED's never had a broken ACOG.

In some 'freak' accident an ACOG breaks the Marine will just use his front sight post, while being supported by his team, or squad, or platoon, all with rifles and belt feds.

In qualification, you still have to use the fundamentals or you'll miss.nothing changes about sight picture, cheek weld, breathing and trigger control.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Marines Toughen Rifle Qualification

https://www.thebalance.com/marine-corps-toughens-rifle-qualification-3354415

Supposedly this just took effect 10/1/16 and involves some iron sight shooting if I read it correctly.

View Quote
That would appear to be the case.

"There are four tables that are used in the new marksmanship program.

Table one is fundamental marksmanship, which has Marines practicing using iron sights on the known-distance range.

Table two includes three hours of classroom training, followed by practical application drills.

Table three includes two to three days of classroom and live-fire training in close combat shooting.

All basic Marines will be required to pass tables one through three in order to qualify.

Table four, which is the advanced course, will be a requirement for all infantry Marines."
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#44]
The Acog once zeroed properly is superior to iron sights.  It is just as robust / marine proof. But offers superior target auisition.  As a marine who cherishes his expert badges, 1990, and learned with irons, I welcome this news. It's an advantage to be piping badguys at 400 every time rather than the AK or mosin badguys using the spray and pray.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Acog once zeroed properly is superior to iron sights.  It is just as robust / marine proof. But offers superior target auisition.  As a marine who cherishes his expert badges, 1990, and learned with irons, I welcome this news. It's an advantage to be piping badguys at 400 every time rather than the AK or mosin badguys using the spray and pray.
View Quote

With an ACOG you could repeatedly kill guys at 400 yards!!??

That is some shooting!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#46]
FBHO
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is some shooting!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is some shooting!!

You seriously can't shoot.... if you are making that statement.

400m is nothing now adays.  Shit child, I zero my shot guns at 100 and they even have optics.

And to add.... What the fuck is that fantasy that the bullet does some mystical "not my fault " turn past 200-300m? It's a parabolic arc. Just put the rainbow on em. Shooting at distance is easier than shooting tiny groups.

If you own an AR and it is inaccurate at 100-500m - the nut behind it is the problem 9x out of 10. The 10th is
Some asshole with a 1/11 twist trying to stabilize 75gr projos who has never learned what twist rate is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You either never served, or were a clerk in the Air Force
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There's a thread in the optics section that talks about why BUIS are irrelevant if you use an optic that is going to always work.

Perhaps the marines believe ACOGs to be bulletproof.
View Quote
A blast or damage that takes out an acog probably would have destroyed the front sight post ears or at least moved your zero.  I can see the argument either way.  But the same thing applies to making someone learn to shoot a recurve bow when they are issued a compound with pin sights.  More instruction time on the compound bow during the fundemental time of learning is better
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top