Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 115
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
We normally do our grocery shopping on Friday, but decided to go this afternoon instead just to beat part of the rush.

Holy crap.  You'd think the world is ending Monday.  Packed with people losing their shit over the smallest things.  Berating the Publix staff because the water was all gone, etc.

This is in Seminole, well away from the beach.  It really won't be that bad here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
ft pierce home depot just got in a trailer load of osb, and a trailer load of plywood. propane still plentiful on oleander, at amerigas, citgo at virginia & okeechobee and tractor supply. tractor supply will be getting a truckload shipment of generators in the morning. lines were pretty small at walmart, and home depot as well. still plenty of food, water, batteries, etc, on the shelves. gas stations all had normal amounts of traffic. i'm doing shutters today, so i can "coast" the rest of the waiting time. haven't observed a single place doing shutters yet. in this area, people typically wait until the first bands of the storm are hitting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seriously can't understand how people who live in Florida, or really anywhere there can be a natural disaster, aren't prepared.

My house in Florida has a 10,000w  Honda generator, a 2000w Honda generator and 1500w Honda generator.  We always have multiple cases of water on hand, a 25 gallon tank of gas (for the boats anyways) on hand, plus gas cans.  It all gets cycled through the boats.   Let alone 3 tanks of propane for the grill, charcoal of the Big green egg, etc.

Like this isn't a surprise people.
View Quote
Because , look at how many people voted for odumbo, twice, most people are idiots
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ft pierce home depot just got in a trailer load of osb, and a trailer load of plywood. propane still plentiful on oleander, at amerigas, citgo at virginia & okeechobee and tractor supply. tractor supply will be getting a truckload shipment of generators in the morning. lines were pretty small at walmart, and home depot as well. still plenty of food, water, batteries, etc, on the shelves. gas stations all had normal amounts of traffic. i'm doing shutters today, so i can "coast" the rest of the waiting time. haven't observed a single place doing shutters yet. in this area, people typically wait until the first bands of the storm are hitting.
View Quote
People are acting stupid at the PV Wawa and Gatlin RaceTrac
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn! I thought I had it bad being out of power for 8 days after Irma!
View Quote
Try 3 fucking weeks. Yes the eye was beautiful.

The 30 minutes before the eye were a total nightmare. Est. winds 170-180.

Wife had radar on her phone and the radar color before the eye was black.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in Seminole.  Was this the Publix on 113th?  Try the Publix hidden away on Oakhurst, near Seminole High/Middle Schools.
View Quote
Red Bug / Tuskawilla.  :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I seriously can't understand how people who live in Florida, or really anywhere there can be a natural disaster, aren't prepared.

My house in Florida has a 10,000w  Honda generator, a 2000w Honda generator and 1500w Honda generator.  We always have multiple cases of water on hand, a 25 gallon tank of gas (for the boats anyways) on hand, plus gas cans.  It all gets cycled through the boats.   Let alone 3 tanks of propane for the grill, charcoal of the Big green egg, etc.

View Quote
I agree with the being prepared part, but did you just humblebrag about having two homes, $7K in generators, and one or more boats?

Why doesn't everyone in FL have this?  It's a mystery...
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fucking ohio lol.
Dude. 87% of our population is constantly turning over. The state went almost 10 years with out a major storm. There was folks who moved here in 07' that didnt get there cherry popped until 2016 more or less. The mass exodus from south Florida when they got a scare proves that.

But yeah , being prepared is basic commonsense.  Few flats of water, 20$ in can goods, a gas grill, and a 400$ generator puts you light years ahead of everything.

Part of the mass hysteria is information is instant.
20+ years ago..unless you had a tv at work or radio. You crossed your fingers waiting for the 6 o'clock news.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because most people can't afford to have a stack of 2-300 $100 bills laying around getting less and less valuable every year.

While I agree that it makes sense to have(and you really should) a couple cases of water- or at least a few 2.5gal jugs sitting in a closet, and a week's worth of food that won't spoil (oatmeal, soup, etc.) there are real limits to what most people can afford. Lots of folks can't tie up $500 in a generator to just have it sit in a box for years....just in case. Or they don't have a place to store it.

I know.....they should just be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree with the being prepared part, but did you just humblebrag about having two homes, $7K in generators, and one or more boats?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having a generator and gas isn’t a hard, nor expensive thing.  It’s simply being prepared.

As for a humble brag, sure.  I guess it is.  A lot of people instantly hate me for simply who I am. It’s fine, I’m used to it. But those who know me and are around me know I go out of my way to help who I can.  I’ve hauled my excavator to arfcommers houses to clean up after a storm, or help cut firewood.  I’ve given money to help arfcommers and their family’s.  Etc.

But I’ll shut up and watch now. As the storm is going to be 400+ miles away from me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We normally do our grocery shopping on Friday, but decided to go this afternoon instead just to beat part of the rush.

Holy crap.  You'd think the world is ending Monday.  Packed with people losing their shit over the smallest things.  Berating the Publix staff because the water was all gone, etc.

This is in Seminole, well away from the beach.  It really won't be that bad here.
View Quote
Yep.  I normally buy 6 cases of water at a time, and restock when I am down to 2.  The communist will not get me with their damn Flouride.  Anywho I went to restock a little early due to the storm.  Two ladies, older mind you, raced an empty cart around me to get to the water aisle.  Like there would only be one case of water left.... This is in Hillsborough.  We may get a TS or cat 1 but lord have mercy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because most people can't afford to have a stack of 2-300 $100 bills laying around getting less and less valuable every year.

While I agree that it makes sense to have(and you really should) a couple cases of water- or at least a few 2.5gal jugs sitting in a closet, and a week's worth of food that won't spoil (oatmeal, soup, etc.) there are real limits to what most people can afford. Lots of folks can't tie up $500 in a generator to just have it sit in a box for years....just in case. Or they don't have a place to store it.

View Quote
They should have thought of that before they moved down from the NE and into some retirement trailer park. That and a real Florida Man does not need a generator and can drink from a mud puddle.

As far as water goes if you have enough for week that should about do it till FEMA gets cranked-up.....Hell, buy a few Life Straws for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the life of me I don't understand why people don't stock up on water at the beginning of the season.
View Quote
Same here. I buy all my preps at the beginning of the season and use them at the end of the season. I have 28 gallons of water, 25 gallons of ethanol free gas, 5 full propane tanks, plus plenty of dried and canned stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My daughter's opinion of Hurricane Dorian.

https://i.imgur.com/Lq04Eze.jpg
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
What do you locals recommend for someone vacationing in the Venice Florida area?

Was planning on driving back to MD on Tuesday, but that will likely change now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What do you locals recommend for someone vacationing in the Venice Florida area?

Was planning on driving back to MD on Tuesday, but that will likely change now.
View Quote
Leave early. Watch the track/timing on Friday.  I think you should beat feet on Saturday of you want to be safe and not trying to outrun a storm moving north through FL.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I actually have so many generators because of that generator thread on here I’m selling one locally. Just wish I had another portable a/c.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now you are going to cause a run on the OSB by all of those transplants that didn't remember that!
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got the call, loading up some crews for FL, probably wait to see which way it swings before heading out though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just got the call, loading up some crews for FL, probably wait to see which way it swings before heading out though.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I seem to remember someone here that had no gas and was in a panic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The media is really getting everyone in a frenzy over this one. Lots of new arrivals in Florida that arrived in the past couple years who never experienced a hurricane are in complete and utter hysteria.
I seem to remember someone here that had no gas and was in a panic.
it seems like someone wants something to go down into a memory hole and be forgotten.

I'm sure all the people that offered to help won't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rookie numbers : My house in Florida has a 10,000 22,500 w  generator, a 2000 10,000w generator and 1500 7,500w generator.  We always have multiple cases of water on hand, + 60 gallons in bulk containers + 4 empty 5 gallon containers filled as needed + I can run my pump with the generator a 25 60 gallon tank of gas (for the boats anyways) on hand, plus gas cans.  It all gets cycled through the boats.   Let alone 3 tanks  330 & 100 gallon bulk tank of propane for the grill & generators , + a contact in the LP supply world who makes sure that my two bulk tanks stay filled on an emergency commercial route status charcoal of the Big green egg, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Best of luck to you guys in Florida.  Hurricane Ike taught me that windstorm codes work but water will tear stuff up.  Harvey taught me how bad it sucks to get water in the house.

Our house is fortunate in one way: it is on the same power grid as the local field office for the power company, the National Weather service Doppler radar and the county emergency management office.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#32]
i realize i am crazy, but I am, in some way, oddly happy to not be in the generator scramble.  I do have one, a small ryobi propane genny, for my CPAP and electric devices. I also have a few portable solar rigs. But aside from a portable AC (which i dont have room for, nor can afford), i am not sure what else i would need to run my genny on. Is it because i am prepared to do without fridge and AC for a short while?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Publix in southern Palm Beach County, every gas station has a line.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I understand that cases of water bottles are nice, but doesn't anyone else have 5gal jugs for water they can simply fill now?  I have six of them and will fill them sometime in the next day or two.

I guess everyone used to have the jugs, but the cases of water are so easy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Man the weather channel sure is making sure the hysteria  is strong with this storm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
08-29-2019 Ave Maria, Florida, Gas station out of gas and stores out of water
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i realize i am crazy, but I am, in some way, oddly happy to not be in the generator scramble.  I do have one, a small ryobi propane genny, for my CPAP and electric devices. I also have a few portable solar rigs. But aside from a portable AC (which i dont have room for, nor can afford), i am not sure what else i would need to run my genny on. Is it because i am prepared to do without fridge and AC for a short while?
View Quote
My single room portable ac was maybe $150. I see them for $100-200 all the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#40]
the forecast discussions are easy to read, and give an idea of what is influencing the forecast and what might be coming.

'Aircraft and satellite fixes show that Dorian is moving
northwestward, or 325 degrees at 11 kt.  Dorian is forecast to
continue moving northwestward during the next 24-36 hours between an
upper-level low that will be dropping southwestward across the
Florida Straits and a mid-level ridge to the northeast of the
hurricane.  After that time, a ridge is forecast to build to the
north of Dorian, which should cause the track to bend back toward
the west-northwest. The track guidance becomes more divergent beyond
72 hours, primarily due to model differences in the strength of the
ridge and whether a weakness develops in the ridge late in the
period.'

upper level low - a cold, low pressure system that extends from the upper atmosphere, to the surface

troughs and ridges -
troughs are long areas of low pressure. on a surface pressure weather map, they eastern side is associated with weather fronts and rain.
ridges are areas of high pressure. they are associated with good weather, and dry air.

you can generally see where troughs and ridges are by looking at surface analysis pressure maps, such as found here
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/
but they can be cluttered and hard to interpret at times.

an easier way to see where the troughs and ridges are, is by looking at a 500mb chart. 500mb is the considered half way up in the atmosphere, and the elevation where the jet stream is. on a 500mb chart, the lines will have a number, showing how high above sea level, up in the atmosphere a pressure of 500mb is found. a higher number means higher up in the atmosphere and an area of high pressure, a lower number means an area of lower pressure.

you can see troughs as a u shape in the lines, and ridges as an upside down u, for example here

Attachment Attached File

a link to some forecast that extend out into the atlantic is
https://ocean.weather.gov/Atl_tab.php

hurricanes move into troughs, and if it feels the jet stream, get blown to the north and northeast
ridges block the northward movement of hurricanes, and cause a movement to the west

the strengthening of the ridge is what prevents any northward movement of the system, and resulting in a southward movement of the path

in the hurricane discussion, it talks about a weakness in the ridge, influencing what the forecast of the path will be. you can see it as the trough that shows up in the day 3 and 4 image here

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So the dual-fuel generator I ordered from Home Depot is being shipped, should be at the store between tomorrow and Tuesday.

Place your bets as to whether some dipshit manager receives it, doesn't see that it's a ship-to-store for a customer, and places it on the floor where it gets sold. in his truck and goes home.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never understood this "buying bottled water" phenomena.

Do people not wash out and save some 1gal containers, which previously held OJ, during the year?

I bet I've got about a dozen 1/2 gal ones too.

Do people also not realize that gallon freezer bags also can be filled with water?

I bet I can top off all of them in less than 1/2 an hour for a penny or two.

Any of the above can also be frozen (only fill to 3/4 to allow for expansion) and used as block ice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We are right on the water (actually on the very tip of a peninsula so we have water on all sides). Maybe 10-15 feet? from sea level. There are no high spots in the Bahamas. We are literally on the "point" at Treasure Cay.

We did just go rent a car in case we needed to move (while dropping off the rest of our guests at the airport), or so we can survey and move around afterwards. Sitting in the main path with no options is a bit of a gamble... will pack the car with redundant supplies and have it deadly to go if needed, though other than getting inland on a very narrow island is not any better than sitting inside the house. If water comes up, that's another story.

Hopefully it hits Sunday morning vs Saturday night so we can see.

Most frustrating thing will be lack of power afterwards so I can update everyone, as I suspect that may be a few days and hopefully not longer.
View Quote
thanks for the update. there should be hardened places on the island that the residents go to in case there is a major hurricane for the residents to go to, if they are afraid their residences won't survive a strike, at least on some of the other islands in the carribean. see if such a location exist, just in case.

the image of the wind fields has been posted earlier. it's off the navy weather site which shows circles with the extent of 34,50, and 64 knot winds.

it is here
dorian forecast

Attachment Attached File

good luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I understand that cases of water bottles are nice, but doesn't anyone else have 5gal jugs for water they can simply fill now?  I have six of them and will fill them sometime in the next day or two.

I guess everyone used to have the jugs, but the cases of water are so easy.
View Quote
That's what I do.  Nothing wrong with tap water,  I have several Scepter 5g and 2,5g  water cans,
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Do people not wash out and save some 1gal containers, which previously held OJ, during the year?

Do people also not realize that gallon freezer bags also can be filled with water?

Any of the above can also be frozen (only fill to 3/4 to allow for expansion) and used as block ice.
View Quote
Water bottles...2 liters...5 gallon spring water cooler jugs etc.
The frozen bottles last longer, than cube ice.
Plus cube ice is fir cocktails...
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My single room portable ac was maybe $150. I see them for $100-200 all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cant say i have seen em that low around me.. Ill keep an eye out in the future.  But having survived Irma for days with no AC, i am confident again.  And i will prep my fridge before the weekend (everything i can fill with water to create ice and/or store as cold fluid to keep things cold).

Quoted:

I admit, i picked up two cases, but only because i know they can be used anytime (and we like going outside.. camping, hiking, kayak, etc).  I have larger water containers (WaterBOB, wooo!), but you can never beat clean, sealed bottles if shit really gets bad (like, i lost my roof and my BOB is destroyed kinda bad).
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Hot water heater tanks also contain 40 gallons of useable water.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now you are going to cause a run on the OSB by all of those transplants that didn't remember that!
View Quote
we use plywood ourselves. first thing we do when we move into a place, is get plywood, and cut panels. paint them bright white on all sides, with some waterseal in the paint. 2 coats, and then store them. the holes are pre-drilled into the concrete, and the securement blocks are all cut and pre-drilled. all holes are the same, so any block fits any window. all windows are labeled location, and direction. a one time payment lasts the life of the house, until it's blown off it's foundation, like andrew did.

at some point we'll replace them one at a time, with impact rated stuff. we'll keep the shutters anyways. today is a good day to take a lawn chair and a cooler of beverages to home depot (or lowes) and sit back and enjoy the show. (sort of like a boat ramp, on labor day) there will be people stacking 10 sheets of osb onto the roof of their prius, and using the home depot twine to secure it.
Page / 115
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top