Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 115
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
This sate of emergency BS better not fuck me picking up my toys tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boynton Beach.

The place was empty of customers too.

Personally, I believe folks are putting too much faith in the center of the cone track line.
View Quote
I can understand a little of the desensitization. The bombardment of hyperbole is tiresome.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
8:00 PM AST Wed Aug 28
Moving: NW at 13 mph
Min pressure: 990 mb
Max sustained: 80 mph

Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Joe Bastardi is giving a good possibility of a hit on New Orleans. That's the one people should be watching out for - Katrina II.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Joe Bastardi is giving a good possibility of a hit on New Orleans. That's the one people should be watching out for - Katrina II.
View Quote
Katrina II another hurricane boogaloo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We’re all dead, we just know it yet.

If anyone is interested I throwing my house on the market. First dibs to followers of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Andrew in 1992 crossed Florida then ended up coming up the spillway in Louisiana. Besides the structure damage a massive fish kill off in the spillway that took a long time to recover. Like a 40 mile stretch of dead fish in the spillway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
No rain in N Georgia
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lake Mary here, stations are busier than normal, propane getting low at WaWa off of 1792 at Ronald Reagan Blvd.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
In before the gas panic happens
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
North 98 Lakeland Publix was about normal. Plenty of water and such.
Racetrac across the street was also normal.
View Quote
Good to know neighbor
To be honest, that store is busier now since the Socrum store started its remodel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
https://radar.weather.gov/lite/N0Z/JUA_loop.gif

Looking more organized on radar. It wouldn’t surprise me if we woke up to a much stronger hurricane.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyone is running around  with their head cut off in hysteria here. Gas stations and stores are swamped.

Lots of new transplants here who never experienced hurricanes and have been scared by the media. I've been directly in the path of 3 hurricanes and nothing bad other than some road flooding and power outages. The houses and buildings here are built to withstand hurricanes now.

I remember the panic last hurricane and nothing happened. Everyone evacuated into the path of it because they projected it completely wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Which is the european model?  Any weather gurus here know which letter designation it is given?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Panama City and Mexico Beach are not ready for another one unless it washes all the debris from the last storm out to sea

Hurricane Michael damage in Mexico Beach, Florida
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I don’t take hurricanes lightly anymore after last year here in NC from Florence. It was a war zone for three weeks. Literally only the military could fly in and help. And yeah it was only a Cat1 hurricane.

Stay safe. We are even preparing somewhat here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I heard New Smyrna home depot is out of gas cans earlier today.
I heard Edgewater publix was out of water earlier today.
I just heard Kenny's gas station in Edgewater is shutting down the gas pumps at 1900 tonight and will be open tomorrow morning full of gas.
All gas stations lines are long in edgewater except for the one at 442 and I-95. He was $2.89 gal when I filled all my cans, the extra $.30 was worth not dealing with bullshit.
View Quote
@RiverSwine45

Kenny's used to be on the other side of the road....with no gas pumps..
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Looking more organized on radar. It wouldn’t surprise me if we woke up to a much stronger hurricane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Seems to be the consensus.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
a Cat 5? Wow
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh shit
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
a Cat 5? Wow
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which is the european model?  Any weather gurus here know which letter designation it is given?
View Quote
ECMWF

ETA: Here's a link.

European Model
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
All of the bottled water in the Oviedo area is drying up. My local Publix was pretty much wiped out. Lines at the gas stations are starting to lengthen too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lake Mary here, stations are busier than normal, propane getting low at WaWa off of 1792 at Ronald Reagan Blvd.
View Quote
Longwood here just off of 17-92 before big tree park. Wawa in Cassleberry was packed while there was no one at the mom and pop gas stations down the road.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Just saw the pressure  is down to 990mb so it is getting stronger
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thursday the 29th is the anniversary of Katrina hitting N.O. and the forecast track for this storm kind of resembles Katrina's track in 2005.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

a Cat 5? Wow
View Quote
Didn’t the NWS change how hurricanes were categorized a few years ago. I can’t find the article about it but if I remember correct they used to use the wind at sea level and now use wind at altitude for the rankings. Or some similar change.

This is one of the reasons we are seeing more powerful storms and not climate change.

Does anyone else remember this change?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Didn’t the NWS change how hurricanes were categorized a few years ago. I can’t find the article about it but if I remember correct they used to use the wind at sea level and now use wind at altitude for the rankings. Or some similar change.

This is one of the reasons we are seeing more powerful storms and not climate change.

View Quote
Wiki link to Staffir-Simpson Scale
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just saw the pressure  is down to 990mb so it is getting stronger
View Quote
Yeah, thats down about 13mb since the 1PM statement. ~8 hours.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Please no!
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually I believe they raised the sustained winds higher to make a cat 5 than it had been.  We went through that here after Michael.  It was a called a Cat 4, but the damage was what was associated with a 5.  Add in that a lot of local instruments were damaged or lost that give wind speeds.  The damage assessment and review of the available data took months but that raised it to a 5, which everyone here knew it was.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#37]
The Walmart here in Clearwater off 19 was already having a pretty good run on water. Had no problem getting some (can never have enough water, right?), but unless shipments were already on the way, I am sure they will be out soon.

Thankfully already had other things I needed (gas can, genny and spare supplies), but I did stock other non perishable foods (again, I'll eat em anyway sometime, so no waste).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting an Irma vibe from this one. Really hoping I am wrong, but gonna be watching this like a hawk. Either way,  so much for labor day weekend....
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#38]
The "picket line" data buoys.

Click on the Gulf of Mexico/East Florida in the right hand column to to focus in.

Yellow diamonds have real time wind speed and wave height. No "phake news" hysteria.

Way to early to give much credence to the "black line".

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

I am pleased to report the Publix liquor store in OBS remains well stocked even after my modest purchase moments ago.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#39]
What was Michael lat year, what was the pressure?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All of the bottled water in the Oviedo area is drying up. My local Publix was pretty much wiped out. Lines at the gas stations are starting to lengthen too.
View Quote
I was just out for errands along 434.  Wawa was busy but moving.  No lines per se, but I had to wait while 1 guy finished to get me Ethanol free gas.  Speedway and Race Track were busy.  Tanker just pulled into RaceTrac.  BP was busy too. Publix water aisle picked over.  Milk, wine, cat food all there .  They'll get more water overnight.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I heard it may be a CAT 6 now.. Definitely a CAT 5e. Full 1000Mbps baby with a chance of 10G!

Fuck... I went up to 7-11 in the Mt Dora area to top off one of the jerry cans I tapped a few weeks ago. People are .
It literally looked like Cabela's after Sandy Hook. We're in the middle of the state, not too worried...
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I heard it may be a CAT 6 now.. Definitely a CAT 5e. Full 1000Mbps baby with a chance of 10G!

Fuck... I went up to 7-11 in the Mt Dora area to top off one of the jerry cans I tapped a few weeks ago. People are .
It literally looked like Cabela's after Sandy Hook. We're in the middle of the state, not too worried...
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What was Michael lat year, what was the pressure?
View Quote
919 at the lowest point
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#44]
We fly into Orlando Sunday at 2pm for a full week stay inside Disney. Should we go ahead and just cancel the trip now?  If it grazes FL, will it still be a mess trying to get to our hotel?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thursday the 29th is the anniversary of Katrina hitting N.O. and the forecast track for this storm kind of resembles Katrina's track in 2005.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it do.  Damn...
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#47]
No water at Publix in Davie, no water at Walgreens in Plantation.

Was able to fill up gas just fine at RaceTrac but lines are forming all around.

Also picked up my CZ Scorpion Micro so it's not all bad
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I learned my lesson a long time ago and I always grab 10 cases of water from Aldi June 1st.  They put it on sale for $1.99 a case so there's really no reason to not have a couple cases on hand year round anyway.  I stock up on extra canned goods throughout the year as well and keep it stashed in the hall closet so I'm not tempted to burn through it when I should be saving it.  I always run ethanol free gas in my gennies and start them about once a month when I'm out mowing the yard so they're always ready to go.  I have 5 - 5 gallon cans that I keep filled with ethanol free and sta-bil.  As one gets empty from doing yard work I refill it and move on to the next to keep them rotating.  I did stop by the Publix near downtown Orlando on my way home just to scope the scene and it was jumping.  Every cart but mine had two cases of water (surprised they still had it).  I picked a 24 pack of beer and some Dinty Moore just for fun.  
My question is why is the bread aisle raped clean every time there's a storm??  Guess I won't be having a ham sandwich tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok I just got back home. Lakeland checking back in. Everything I'm posting about is on U.S. Highway 98 North in North Lakeland. Here is what I found:

Circle K at Rockridge and 98 - very busy at the pumps and in store.

Chevron across the street from Circle K - Open but nobody in the store or at the pumps. *scratches head*

Publix at 98 and Marcum road - SLAMMED - PACKED!!  

Walmart at 98 and Daughtery road - same as Publix and no water, at all! Manager told me they get a truck in the morning with 35 pallets of water.
Liquor store there was well stocked and only three customers, myself included. I bought seven cases of beer.

Racetrac - slammed at the pumps.

Harbor Freight - No generators. I'm glad I bought my Predator 2000 there a couple days ago.

Home Depot - Packed, and no generators.

Lowe's - No generators. She said they just sold the last one about an hour before I got there. She also said a guy from Daytona stopped in asking for them as well.
She said the poor guy looked tired and desperate.

I did not stop at Sam's Club.

Manager of Walmart told me if you want cases of water to get there early in the morning because it will move out the door fast!

End of report!
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Media doing their usual hyping the shit out of this.  Now screaming cat4.  Not saying it can't happen but.
Page / 115
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top