BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now not much going on in east Hillsborough County.  Not even any rain. More like a typical summer evening.  Not much wind.  We had an earlier band but that is long past.

Right now the eyewall is not that far from being even with Tampa.

I think it is because the storm shifted a little westward and is 120 miles out to sea instead of the 60-80 miles that were predicted yesterday.

I know it will pick up later but maybe we can get through the night without a power loss.  i hate getting out the generator.

View Quote
We are going to get the worst around 5-7AM tomorrow.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.  I thought you said Alachua County, not Hillsborough.  :o
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Mrs. Miami_JBT and I love Cedar Key.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000009316_jpg-2936509.JPG

We spent a lot of time there to relax when we used to live in Tallahassee. Wonderful place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much in Bradenton so far. Some rain and occasional bursts of rain. Nothing exceptional but we still have to get through the night.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not much in Bradenton so far. Some rain and occasional bursts of rain. Nothing exceptional but we still have to get through the night.
View Quote

This next band could be packing a bit more.  It's coming in about an hour or so.  It's down off the coast of Cape Coral now.

It looks like it will come in vertically so we won't get the skinny horizontal wave.  We may get a long, extended wave.

Hopefully, the coastline can break things up a bit--which is what has been happening so far.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Still now here on the east coast. What came through dropped about and inch and a half.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Hurricane Idalia Intermediate Advisory Number 13A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL102023
800 PM EDT Tue Aug 29 2023

...IDALIA CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN...
...LIKELY TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE SOON...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.9N 84.7W
ABOUT 155 MI...250 KM WSW OF TAMPA FLORIDA
ABOUT 245 MI...390 KM S OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105 MPH...165 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...965 MB...28.50 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None.

DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK
----------------------
At 800 PM EDT (0000 UTC), the center of Hurricane Idalia was located near latitude 26.9 North, longitude 84.7 West.  Idalia is moving toward the north near 16 mph (26 km/h).  A northward to  north-northeastward motion is expected through tonight, with Idalia's center forecast to reach the Big Bend coast of Florida on Wednesday morning.  After landfall, the center of Idalia is forecast to turn toward the northeast and east-northeast, moving near or along the coasts of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina late Wednesday and Thursday.

Observations from Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 105 mph (165 km/h) with higher gusts.  Additional strengthening is forecast, and Idalia is expected to become a major hurricane tonight before it reaches the Big Bend coast of Florida.  Idalia is likely to still be a hurricane while moving across southern Georgia, and possibly when it reaches the coast of Georgia or southern South Carolina on Wednesday.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 25 miles (35 km) from the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 160 miles (260 km).

The minimum central pressure based on Hurricane Hunter aircraft observations is 965 mb (28.50 inches).

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Starting to get rain from outer bands….. one thing I’ve noticed strange….. is that we’re getting a ton of lightning! Typically hurricanes don’t produce a lot of lightning! And never seen it in all the hurricanes I’ve been through!Weird!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm about 30 minutes inland from Fort Myers on the boat and it's been really mild here today - until it wasn't.  We had some rains and winds in the 20 knot range, but generally boring.  Then about 30 minutes ago we had a vortex land on us with 58 knot winds blowing in a big circle.  Yes, like a tornado although I don't think that would qualify as one.  Such things are a little spooky when your house starts flying around in random directions.  I last saw that little system heading directly north....
View Quote

I can attest to that! Was sitting on the back porch one late afternoon during a normal summer shower. It was kinda gusty but nothing really abnormal. All of a sudden this faint freight train noise winds up and a big ass swirl started in the middle of my back yard with easily 60 mph winds wooshing in and up, pulling leaves and debris up from the grass. No sooner than I could scramble outta the chair and get the slider closed it was gone (like instantly vanished) and all the leaves were falling back down. Really spooky for sure to see something spin up that fast outta NOWHERE and just vaporize.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Starting to get rain from outer bands….. one thing I’ve noticed strange….. is that we’re getting a ton of lightning! Typically hurricanes don’t produce a lot of lightning! And never seen it in all the hurricanes I’ve been through!Weird!
View Quote

Realtime lightning map

Zoom in to your area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Http://Weather.cod.edu/forecast

A good site to see the different models
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also dude, oriental is not the proper nomenclature. Asian American please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck Froridabros.

You oriental ?

You shall now forever be known as Orientalfatmetaltest

-----------------------------

Useful links:

https://www.weathernerds.org/tc_guidance/storm.html?tcid=AL10

https://www.weather.gov/  (enter your city/state or zip)

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?start#contents

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2023/hurricane-idalia

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#10L

https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHallYall/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@RyanHallYallXTRA

https://www.youtube.com/@Tropical-Tidbits/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@WESH/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@wcjb20/videos

https://www.youtube.com/@FirstCoastNews/videos

https://www.sfwmd.gov/weather-radar/current-weather-conditions
ryan hall's livestream for the night is done, they're starting tomorrow morning. I think he said five am.

https://earth.nullschool.net/  <---- shows windspeed and waves and etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
North of Atlanta at my daughter's soccer practice just a little while ago. It was like God turned off the lights. Picture does it no justice. I have a feeling it will stay this way for the next few days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
North of Atlanta at my daughter's soccer practice just a little while ago. It was like God turned off the lights. Picture does it no justice. I have a feeling it will stay this way for the next few days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20230829_194844_01_jpeg-2936748.JPG
View Quote

See what adrock1 is going to say below
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Where is Jim Cantore right now?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/IMG_20230829_194844_01_jpeg-2936748.JPG
View Quote

That's just typical summer weather in the south. Not the hurricane. Same thing in upstates sc right now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Realtime lightning map

Zoom in to your area.
View Quote

Cool…. Yup area saturated! Thanks man!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven’t seen anything other than light rail in the Lutz/Land O Lakes area
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it called an “asian American rug”?

I think not
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Send that wet shit my way!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really pretty area up there!  I teach sometimes at the LaBelle campus and I used to water-ski the Alva Slot a lot before the Manatee Zones.
View Quote

@Saltwater-Hillbilly

I own the largest private island in Labelle and am currently docked at the Labelle Yacht Club. Drop me a line.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Blackfox, turn off that Hurricane magnet you have aboard Skyline.  
View Quote

I can't find the switch!  Joking aside, we live a risky lifestyle.  The best places to be are those that are in a hurricane zone.  We pay the price, and it's money well spent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Live winds:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-90.49,26.73,1734

Select the "Earth" button in the lower left to change different features in the map.

Select a spot on the map to display wind speed, select the wind speed to change the units from kmh to mph, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Getting his dick sucked in the Villages.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice tight model paths, gotta like that

Unless u in like Tallahassee, den u fukked
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Back in the 90's, I had week long annual work in small banks in places like Williston, Chiefland, Bronson.

I always made a point to eat at least once in Cedar Key then drive back to the hotel in Gainesville.

I hope Cedar Key is not wiped off the map.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I am in western Alachua county. So far a few thunderstorms, I am high and dry, unfortunately live in a mobile home. We shall see. So far so good.  If it tracks further east over me I am fucked. Let me save everyone some time. I have a will, my son gets all my guns. Yes my wife is hot, but she has to wait one year after I die.  

I don't know how people do this with out bourbon.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]
pretty cool place still. Cedar Key still keeps Florida what Florida is for being a tourist town. "failure to quote" see below
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Back in the 90's, I had week long annual work in small banks in places like Williston, Chiefland, Bronson.

I always made a point to eat at least once in Cedar Key then drive back to the hotel in Gainesville.

View Quote

pretty cool place still. Cedar Key still keeps Florida what Florida is for being a tourist town.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
We went to Steamers often.  In the spring it's a nice day trip for us.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Saltwater-Hillbilly

I own the largest private island in Labelle and am currently docked at the Labelle Yacht Club. Drop me a line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really pretty area up there!  I teach sometimes at the LaBelle campus and I used to water-ski the Alva Slot a lot before the Manatee Zones.

@Saltwater-Hillbilly

Will do!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is it called an “asian American rug”?

I think not
View Quote

giggle
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can't find the switch!  Joking aside, we live a risky lifestyle.  The best places to be are those that are in a hurricane zone.  We pay the price, and it's money well spent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO the ones that have an RV, a pad, power drop, a septic hookup, and a barn to park the RV under  .... who just leave for these events ... that's the way to live down by the sea.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least your new place has Franklin Locks between your boat and the next storm surge, and "roving mobs of looters" probably wouldn't last long in the region where you're docked!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Eye see you Idalia. Major soon. 105mph last update. 965mb.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Chillin in Tallahassee.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

I downloaded the NOAA satellite image to get a look at Idalia and Franklin as well.

Franklin's got a hell of an eye.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am in western Alachua county. So far a few thunderstorms, I am high and dry, unfortunately live in a mobile home. We shall see. So far so good.  If it tracks further east over me I am fucked. Let me save everyone some time. I have a will, my son gets all my guns. Yes my wife is hot, but she has to wait one year after I die.  

I don't know how people do this with out bourbon.....
View Quote

Alachua County should be in the "not terrible" category if the current track holds.  Anything north of there could get sporty!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Stay safe everyone. Our house on the east side of Florida seems like it will be out of the path for now. Keeping our fingers crossed. Prayers to those in the path.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Had one band pass through hours ago, then nothing.

Just started raining again with a little bit of wind in Lithia.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Hoping for the best for our Florida members . Y’all stay safe !
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#47]
It's picking up here. Winds are pretty stiff but not ripping off shingles or roofs. Lots of rain. A bit of lightning. Nothing unexpected or to worry about yet.

Bradenton.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Watching radar right now, is thing curving westward?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Maximum sustained wind 110 MPH at 958 PM EDT.

Cat 3 is 111 - 129 MPH.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Are there reports of most people evacuating from the projected landfall area?
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top