BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just started coming down in Land O Lakes / Pasco Co. .......

FYI: Don't think that because you drained all ethanol fuel from your generator last season that you won't have issues ..... If I didn't have a spare carb gasket set, and a jet cleaning tool, I'd be screwed for when my power eventually goes out tonite .....
View Quote

Honda 2000 series air filters turn to sponge cake after around 5 years. Don't start yours without checking the filter unless you like pulling and cleaning carburetors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sue Colson for Press Secretary.

View Quote

When you think of city fathers and mothers ... that is what you think of.

Gb that lady and praying everything works well out there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do you recognize general advice when someone wants to know about an impact before the event occurs?  And that event is subject to change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you know where orlando is positioned in relation to the storm?

Do you recognize general advice when someone wants to know about an impact before the event occurs?  And that event is subject to change.

I do hence my direct response and others with  with direct knowledge of the event and area instead of “general advice” when someone is asking if they should direct someone to cancel paid plans

I’m not being a dick but when people have real questions to make decisions it’s best not to generalize.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
5pm NHC update on Idalia. Now CAT2 100mph. Pressure 972mb. Track bump west. Major Hurricane expected well before Wednesday AM landfall. Tropical Storm winds nearing Florida now. Hurricane Watches Atlantic coast.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Jim Cantore is in St Mark's, FL, looks like my AO is about to be screwed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Orlando is approx 85 miles from Tampa, the storm (at 4:45 EST) is approx 180 miles SSW of Tampa and moving due north at 15mph.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know where orlando is positioned in relation to the storm?
Orlando is approx 85 miles from Tampa, the storm (at 4:45 EST) is approx 180 miles SSW of Tampa and moving due north at 15mph.

Well done hahaha!

Old man glass Cheers.gif
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5pm NHC update on Idalia. Now CAT2 100mph. Pressure 972mb. Track bump west. Major Hurricane expected well before Wednesday AM landfall. Tropical Storm winds nearing Florida now. Hurricane Watches Atlantic coast.

View Quote

Every little bit West helps my AO.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sue Colson for Press Secretary.

View Quote

Charming little town.

However, it's not a place I'd want to be with a heavy hitting Cat 3 due to pay a visit.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
There is an eye formation in this photo -

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
South Carolina declares state of emergency.

https://www.scemd.org/news/governor-declares-state-of-emergency-2/

Governor Henry McMaster has declared a State of Emergency in advance of any potential impacts from Hurricane Idalia. The Governor’s State of Emergency declaration puts state emergency plans into effect, enabling agencies to better coordinate resources jointly and respond to requests for state assistance from county emergency managers.

The National Hurricane Center predicts Idalia will weaken into a Tropical Storm as it moves into South Carolina on Wednesday, with storm conditions lasting through Thursday morning. Residents should continue to monitor the official forecasts from the National Hurricane Center, local media and official social media accounts from public safety agencies for the latest information.

Forecasters predict the most significant impacts are expected in the eastern Midlands throughout the coastal plain with 4 to 8 inches of rain. The strongest winds will occur in the easternmost portion of the state. Downed trees and power lines are likely. Heavy rainfall will result in flash flooding. Minor to moderate river flooding is also possible across portions of the state. Isolated tornados are also possible.

People in low-lying areas and areas normally prone to flooding should have a plan for where to go if conditions become unsafe to stay in their homes. Stay with friends or family as a first option. Go to a motel or hotel, if possible. Emergency shelters will open depending on need by local officials.

Be aware of potential flash flooding:

If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move to higher ground. Do not wait to be told to move.
Do not walk through moving water. Three to six inches of moving water can make you fall. If you have to walk in water, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely. You and the vehicle can be quickly swept away.
Never drive around or move barricades blocking a street.
Be cautious of downed trees and power lines:

Never touch or attempt to remove fallen limbs from downed or sagging power lines.
Always report downed lines to your utility provider. Never call 9-1-1 to report downed power lines or power outages.
Keep children and pets away from fallen electric lines.
The South Carolina Emergency Management Division has raised the state’s readiness and response to Operating Condition Level Two, or OPCON 2. SCEMD has several resources available for people to prepare for hurricanes and tropical storms, including the state’s online interactive hurricane guide at hurricane.sc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]
West coast surf bros getting their surf on at the Venice jetty.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwimetPJzxa/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mrs. Miami_JBT and I love Cedar Key.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000009316_jpg-2936509.JPG

We spent a lot of time there to relax when we used to live in Tallahassee. Wonderful place.
View Quote

You bastard, now I need to find a 422 and take the wife to cedar key!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like everything is mostly passed collier county now. It was rainy and windy. Now it’s just cloudy and a little breezy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Miami got a nice line through Kendall. I also stepped on wet dog shit getting the mail.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do hence my direct response and others with  with direct knowledge of the event and area instead of “general advice” when someone is asking if they should direct someone to cancel paid plans

I’m not being a dick but when people have real questions to make decisions it’s best not to generalize.
View Quote

Why would someone cancel until they knew there was a problem?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You oriental ?
View Quote

Lol i had no idea what you were getting at until I re-read my post.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I disagree . At the top of the panhandle it has been dry for weeks
View Quote

It’s very flat too. So very susceptible to storm surges. I just pray for the citizens of Florida.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Earlier this morning at Anna Maria Island. I'm guessing it's rougher now there? Who knows.. as I'm further inland now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Charming little town.

However, it's not a place I'd want to be with a heavy hitting Cat 3 due to pay a visit.

https://www.florida-backroads-travel.com/images/CedarKeyAerialTripadvisor.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a good place to get out of!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Ryan Hall is reporting rapid intensification is going on right now. MB is dropping from data coming back from aircraft. Clear eyewall on radar.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Storm is really cruising right along at 16 mph.

Much better news than having a storm that's stalled out or just slowly inching along and dumping overwhelming amounts of rainfall while tearing everything all to shit with sustained high winds in the NE quadrant area.

As of the latest advisory, Idalia is moving north at 16 miles per hour, with 100 mile an hour maximum sustained winds.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/idalia-maps-models-florida-track/44925302
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Earlier this morning at Anna Maria Island. I'm guessing it's rougher now there? Who knows.. as I'm further inland now.
https://i.imgur.com/TSpptbF.png
View Quote

It's been pretty quiet in the area but for some weather that came through between 1-3.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]
The current flood risk graphic looks wider in North Carolina and maybe South Carolina as well.

I am not sure how to save a static image that does not update.  

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT10/refresh/AL1023WPCERO+gif/213341WPCERO_sm.gif
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad that this one missed my AO, still tons of people recovering from Ian here (costal Charlotte/Sarasota counties). Truly feel for the people in the path of this one.

Side question: how often do you all run your generators? And what parts are most likely to fail? I have a small generator 700/900amp 2stroke that I try to run at least 15mins a month, but I just got a larger used (good condition) generator from my neighbor. I saw the air filters mentioned, anything else?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The current flood risk graphic looks wider in North Carolina and maybe South Carolina as well.

I am not sure how to save a static image that does not update.  

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT10/refresh/AL1023WPCERO+gif/213341WPCERO_sm.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
We shall rebuild Fort Myers Beach again, and again, and again!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Miami got a nice line through Kendall. I also stepped on wet dog shit getting the mail.
View Quote

I know from personal experience it smells terrible
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Watching that thing, looks like it could turn to the west.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope that track doesn’t keep moving further west. It will have additional time over the Gulf’s bathtub water and might impact areas that Michael blasted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You oriental ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck Froridabros.

You oriental ?

Also dude, oriental is not the proper nomenclature. Asian American please.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Obligatory Ollie North meme…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
So, a normal day in Miami then?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Outer bands arriving in Citrus/Marion County.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#36]
The 1st 2 rain bands that came thru were surreal. Absolutely no wind, plenty of rain falling straight down. Almost felt like a dense fog with rain. Cleared up, overcast but waiting on the next set.
I'm 2 miles east of 75 in Charlotte County.
Ian's eye passed right over our house last year. Eye lasted about 20-25 minutes. All the pictures I took of the destroyed trees were done during the eye passing over. Then it started again & got dark.
We have a new metal roof on now so I'm good. Even the 15 year old shingles held up during Ian with no water intrusion.

It doesn't matter where this bitch makes landfall, some people will get their shit pushed in. Praying that no lives are lost & no injuries. We know what it is like.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Why of all places does it have to hit Cedar Key and Steinhatchee?  That is the best area of real Florida left in the state. We go there all the time. Hell, we were supposed to be camping in Bell this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Glad that this one missed my AO, still tons of people recovering from Ian here (costal Charlotte/Sarasota counties). Truly feel for the people in the path of this one.

Side question: how often do you all run your generators? And what parts are most likely to fail? I have a small generator 700/900amp 2stroke that I try to run at least 15mins a month, but I just got a larger used (good condition) generator from my neighbor. I saw the air filters mentioned, anything else?
View Quote

I like to run a full tank of gas through it, run it dry, before hurricane season every year and give it an oil change.

For my small champion inverter I called Champion to order parts. I'll post below what I order, but basically a carb and some filters, and have some good spark plugs and oil on hand. When I called to place the order, the woman said if you're ordering all that for spares, you should get the start rip cord assembly, it's the most common failure. So I added the recoil assembly also.

The spare parts order for my small champion:

Aside from that, I've had two other larger generator failures. One was a large open frame inverter that was connected to the house, but was undersized for startups loads and required a sequential soft start. When we connected it, the AC and well pump kicked on almost immediately and it blew a capacitor on the control board.

After that one failed we pulled out an open frame smoke and noise generator. It hasn't been run in a few years. We could not get it to start, and tried quite a few things. Eventually we figured it out, there is a small air intake it the fuel cap the was clogged with gunk from sitting, we cleaned it out and it fired right up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mrs. Miami_JBT and I love Cedar Key.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/1000009316_jpg-2936509.JPG

We spent a lot of time there to relax when we used to live in Tallahassee. Wonderful place.

@Inimicalone, sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Seems like everything is mostly passed collier county now. It was rainy and windy. Now it’s just cloudy and a little breezy.
View Quote

We'll get some of the "backside" stuff later tonight, and it will probably be broken clouds and a little windy tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Storm is really cruising right along at 16 mph.

Much better news than having a storm that's stalled out or just slowly inching along and dumping overwhelming amounts of rainfall while tearing everything all to shit with sustained high winds in the NE quadrant area.

As of the latest advisory, Idalia is moving north at 16 miles per hour, with 100 mile an hour maximum sustained winds.

https://www.wpbf.com/article/idalia-maps-models-florida-track/44925302
View Quote

I saw THAT movie last year; it ended with a bunch of wreckage, no rail links, no power, flooding, boats and cars deposited all over the place, a metric shit-ton of semi-demolished dwellings, and a 60' live oak on top of my house!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Outer bands arriving in Citrus/Marion County.

https://i.imgur.com/CxCgcCj.jpeg
View Quote

My local weather lady said we are about to get some outer band storms way up here in NW GA. Just looks like afternoon thunderstorms to me, they are drifting up from the south though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I built my house in 07, I purchased a decent smaller generator with a Honda motor, just rebranded by someone else.
I didn't try to start it until after Ian & yes it was gummed up.
I bought a new carb for it, put it on, flushed out the old gas in the tank & that generator started on that 1st pull.
If there going to sit for any length of time, drain the gas, run out the balance from the carb, maybe even drop the float bowl & let any residual fuel evaporate & it should be fine. Oil & filter changes per manufacturers spec.
@GriswoldGuns
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We shall rebuild Fort Myers Beach again, and again, and again!
View Quote

As long as the Yankees keep showing up with money to spend, it will get rebuilt......as many times as it takes!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My local weather lady said we are about to get some outer band storms way up here in NW GA. Just looks like afternoon thunderstorms to me, they are drifting up from the south though.
View Quote

Fake news.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Right now in Indian Rocks Beach, there isn't actually much storm, but there is another unusual sight... Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Normally we don't have major waves, but with the storm pushing the water up, the surfers came out to take advantage.  It's interesting since the breeze right now is no more than 5-10 (and sometimes none). But she is out there...
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fake news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake news.

You may be getting "influence" weather, but the actual outer bands are just a little north of Tampa right now, maybe a little further north if you are along the coast.  Don't worry though, you'll be seeing them sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After that one failed we pulled out an open frame smoke and noise generator. It hasn't been run in a few years. We could not get it to start, and tried quite a few things. Eventually we figured it out, there is a small air intake it the fuel cap the was clogged with gunk from sitting, we cleaned it out and it fired right up.
View Quote

Sounds like a trouble shooting technique is unscrew the gas cap and set it so air can get it then try to start.  If it does start when it did not before it is probably a fuel tank cap blockage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Wobbling to the east some it looks like...

Hurricane Idalia PRE LANDFALL Coverage
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Right now not much going on in east Hillsborough County.  Not even any rain. More like a typical summer evening.  Not much wind.  We had an earlier band but that is long past.

Right now the eyewall is not that far from being even with Tampa.

I think it is because the storm shifted a little westward and is 120 miles out to sea instead of the 60-80 miles that were predicted yesterday.

I know it will pick up later because we are on the dirty side but maybe we can get through the night without a power loss.  i hate getting out the generator.

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top