Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

*looks at the predicted rainfall totals*

How is this even news?

IT'S A SUMMER STORM.

*hard facepalm*

I hope it stays that way but ...
View Quote

Stop it. Our tropical weather expert in CO is just looking out for us and making sure everyone has enough time to let the doom set in and work themselves up into a panic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much ready to go. Filled up a gas can today, if we lose power we'll sleep in our camper with an inverter generator.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Now 60MPH and stationary.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Moved more east than expected. I have been guessing landfall Tampa or South. Now I'm predicting the Key West will feel some winds.
View Quote

Fuck all of that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Still trending east.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They also said it's trending towards being at or near major hurricane strength when it makes landfall. Definitely need to keep an eye on this. A little bit more southeast and at major hurricane strength is really bad for the Tampa Bay area.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Stop it. Our tropical weather expert in CO is just looking out for us and making sure everyone has enough time to let the doom set in and work themselves up into a panic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this even news?

IT'S A SUMMER STORM.

*hard facepalm*

Local weather guys guessing cat 2 at landfall and from cedar key to pensacola.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Category 2…..yawn….rain event….

But according to the news:
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t see anyone around Tampa remotely panicking yet. No lines at the gas pump and no boarding up yet. I was filling up my propane tanks for the smoker yesterday at Tractor Supply and it was quiet. Guy said it had been crazy earlier though. I never understood why people don’t leisurely prepare for a potential loss of power by altering their routine and topping off the car etc well in advance rather than waiting for a run on everything. It’s not like you won’t use the fuel in your car or the propane for your grill. If it does look like Tampa Bay is going to get hit I’ll be sitting at home eating popcorn and watching the idiots on the news fighting for sheets of plywood or over cases of water.

The electron hoarding by EV owners has already begun…

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Mts76X3xoKrmg/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9522n2ihvcgxz03xfxpuy566wpamgyugh7jgxd11g91&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

If people in the know are starting to prepare, someone must know something

The neighbor three doors down just got an EV.  He was charging it all day, today.  I hope the neighborhood doesn't flood like it did during Ian.  Those things like to go high order after they get submerged.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The neighbor three doors down just got an EV.  He was charging it all day, today.  I hope the neighborhood doesn't flood like it did during Ian.  Those things like to go high order after they get submerged.
View Quote

Hmm

I wonder if hurricane ROE with EVs will wind up being "park it outside far away from structures."
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Local weather guys guessing cat 2 at landfall and from cedar key to pensacola.
View Quote

There’s a storm dropping down out of Texas that may feed this thing a whack of cool air and water and fuck up its plan.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How is this even news?

IT'S A SUMMER STORM.

*hard facepalm*

View Quote

It's not the rain I'm concerned about. It's the 4 - 7 foot storm surge.
Tampa Bay is 20 feet from my backdoor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Bring it Baby!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They also said it's trending towards being at or near major hurricane strength when it makes landfall. Definitely need to keep an eye on this. A little bit more southeast and at major hurricane strength is really bad for the Tampa Bay area.
View Quote

NHC latest advisory warns rapid intensification possible as a  high end Cat 2 with 100mph winds.

Yeah, don't take your eyes off this one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Up to 65 mph now. Looking to be a cat3+ at landfall now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
FUCK FPL
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's going to rain. Y'all better panic and get your grocery store raiding parties organized.

Bottled water. Milk. Bread. NOW!

Motherfuckin' French toast for errybody.
View Quote
Wooooo Hooooo!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Still going directly over my house on Wednesday morning; I’m still going to have French Toast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#20]
They also said Charley and Ian were coming in at Tampa too...
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Cat 3 prediction this morning.

Predictions

Friday - TS
Sat - Cat 1
Sun - Cat 2
Mon - Cat 3

Concerned that by the time it gets here on Wednesday night it will be a Cat 5
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For the non-Floridians on the forums, my fellow FloBro is basically saying that real Floridians don't get out of bed for anything less than a category 3. Tropical storms are a free way to water the grass and fill the pool.
View Quote

This will be at least a Cat 3. It will affect a huge part of Florida, Georgia, and SC on its present track.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right now it suppose to be going north of the big metroplex of Tampa.  The lesson of Charlie and Ian is that it could  take a last minute jog to the east and cause major problems for a large population area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Reminds me a lot of Ian.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they took an early turn and came into the south of the bay. This one is headed north of Tampa so if it makes an early turn things will be bad near the water. I suspect people will start to go crazy today when they read the updated forecasts and gas/plywood etc is going to be in short supply.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Reminds me a lot of Ian.
View Quote

Nah the models for ian were all over the place - nothing agreed even 2 days out. These models are pretty tight. Not saying it can’t shift - Charley did but this is different.

Now intensity sure I can agree there
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cat 3 prediction this morning.

Predictions

Friday - TS
Sat - Cat 1
Sun - Cat 2
Mon - Cat 3

Concerned that by the time it gets here on Wednesday night it will be a Cat 5
View Quote

Yeah just saw that, this thing is blowing up like a tick.
Will be doing some preps today.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Cool.

My grass needs watering.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck to the folks in the hurricane path...meanwhile in the northeast we await our first real storm of the season from a real weather man:

-P
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For the non-Floridians on the forums, my fellow FloBro is basically saying that real Floridians don't get out of bed for anything less than a category 3. Tropical storms are a free way to water the grass and fill the pool.
View Quote

As a life long Floridian I take hurricanes seriously.  A TS is a wet blustery day.  A Cat 1 can cause down trees and power outages.  It  gets worse with Cat 2.  Cat 3 and above is a major problem.  God help you if you are in flood zone.

The real ball buster is the eyewall.  If an eyewall goes over or near your house you are going to be fucked.  

If you live on or near the coast you should take any hurricane or TS seriously.

The only good thing about this storm is that Florida has been relatively dry  this rainy season and this will will replenish the aquifer.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Keep in mind the full moon that’s supposed to make it’s entrance on Tuesday night…it’s not gonna help with storm surge at all
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#33]
These are a few hours old.  Waiting on the updates.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nah the models for ian were all over the place - nothing agreed even 2 days out. These models are pretty tight. Not saying it can’t shift - Charley did but this is different.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds me a lot of Ian.

In general they can predict the path with reasonable certainty. It’s not a 100% perfect model as Ian and Charlie can attest but most of the time they tend to be correct.

Predicting a storm’s intensity is another matter entirely. That’s one area they really haven’t been able to quite nail down. When I went to bed last night we were looking at this hitting as a strong Cat-1 or a weak Cat-2. When I woke up this morning is was already at a Cat-3. It won’t surprise me to see this come ashore as a Cat-4.

I’m still planning on French Toast though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#36]
So how many of my Florida brethren are sitting pretty because of the “Amazon Clearance “ thread? I have triple redundant generators, dehydrated food for a month (on top of my normal stock), abundant rope to lash shit down even though I never have stuff sitting around that can get tossed by the wind, and lags….so many lags…

And flashlights. I already had plenty but now I can square the elderly neighbors away.

I’m wondering what else I bought from that thread that might be useful if my AO takes a major hit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#37]
And gloves, electrical tape, Baofeng radios…/
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Fiskars shovels, fire extinguishers, safety glasses. I might even (unfortunately) have a use for the roles of hog wire
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Fits the predictions from earlier this year about storms blowing up in the gulf. We went from:

1) Nobody around talking about it Saturday
2) Mild joking yesterday
3) Me :/ now that its supposed to turn into a major storm

I'll still take the rain though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hmm

I wonder if hurricane ROE with EVs will wind up being "park it outside far away from structures."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm

Wouldn't it be funny if an EV and a good solar setup became the go-to for post storm mobility? If you can charge your own car off grid and not be reliant on gas stations/deliveries...
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be funny if an EV and a good solar setup became the go-to for post storm mobility? If you can charge your own car off grid and not be reliant on gas stations/deliveries...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm

They should make solar chainsaws.  The day after a hurricane is always the clearest day you've ever seen and there's more sky than the day before because there are a lot less trees still standing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Garmin inreach works well after a storm, even if the person you are texting is a few miles away. One way to have all your buddies get one beforehand, is to text them while you are 30+ miles out and they are at work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just make sure the solar is inside during the storm or you need to have enough five gallon jugs of electricity.  Red is gas, yellow is diesel, blue is water so what color for electricity? Purple??? Off to Amazon to find  some now before they sell out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Got one of those Green Machine 16in chainsaws from Home Depot, 62v battery works like a charm.
Thx arf

And a Rockpals 500w inverter power bank and solar panels from Amazon from a previous sale, all good
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#46]
8am Eastern Update
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just make sure the solar is inside during the storm or you need to have enough five gallon jugs of electricity.  Red is gas, yellow is diesel, blue is water so what color for electricity? Purple??? Off to Amazon to find  some now before they sell out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody knows EV juice comes in the green jugs
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They should make solar chainsaws.  The day after a hurricane is always the clearest day you've ever seen and there's more sky than the day before because there are a lot less trees still standing.
View Quote

Thanks for the reminder. Need to fill a couple of jugs and mix them. One @ 40:1, the other @ 50:1.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Man, if shopping in Tampa wasn't madness already, it will be....
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hot wire is black, so you need a black jug for your EV juice. Just make sure you empty the used electrons into the white jug so you can recycle them for reuse.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top