Ingrid, 2013
Irma, 2017
Iota, 2020 (from the Greek alphabet)
Ida, 2021
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a life long Floridian I take hurricanes seriously.  A TS is a wet blustery day.  A Cat 1 can cause down trees and power outages.  It  gets worse with Cat 2.  Cat 3 and above is a major problem.  God help you if you are in flood zone.

The real ball buster is the eyewall.  If an eyewall goes over or near your house you are going to be fucked.  

If you live on or near the coast you should take any hurricane or TS seriously.

The only good thing about this storm is that Florida has been relatively dry  this rainy season and this will will replenish the aquifer.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the non-Floridians on the forums, my fellow FloBro is basically saying that real Floridians don't get out of bed for anything less than a category 3. Tropical storms are a free way to water the grass and fill the pool.

As a life long Floridian I take hurricanes seriously.  A TS is a wet blustery day.  A Cat 1 can cause down trees and power outages.  It  gets worse with Cat 2.  Cat 3 and above is a major problem.  God help you if you are in flood zone.

The real ball buster is the eyewall.  If an eyewall goes over or near your house you are going to be fucked.  

The only good thing about this storm is that Florida has been relatively dry  this rainy season and this will will replenish the aquifer.  

Explain the “if the eye wall goes over or near your house you’re going to be fucked”.

I’ve had it happen 2 times and i was never fucked. It all depends on Intensity and home location. Enough sensationalist stuff.

Yes bad things can happen cat 1-5 but the general statement you’re going to be fucked is weather channel level DOOM
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In general they can predict the path with reasonable certainty. It’s not a 100% perfect model as Ian and Charlie can attest but most of the time they tend to be correct.

Predicting a storm’s intensity is another matter entirely. That’s one area they really haven’t been able to quite nail down. When I went to bed last night we were looking at this hitting as a strong Cat-1 or a weak Cat-2. When I woke up this morning is was already at a Cat-3. It won’t surprise me to see this come ashore as a Cat-4.

I’m still planning on French Toast though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds me a lot of Ian.

Nah the models for ian were all over the place - nothing agreed even 2 days out. These models are pretty tight. Not saying it can’t shift - Charley did but this is different.

Now intensity sure I can agree there

In general they can predict the path with reasonable certainty. It’s not a 100% perfect model as Ian and Charlie can attest but most of the time they tend to be correct.

Predicting a storm’s intensity is another matter entirely. That’s one area they really haven’t been able to quite nail down. When I went to bed last night we were looking at this hitting as a strong Cat-1 or a weak Cat-2. When I woke up this morning is was already at a Cat-3. It won’t surprise me to see this come ashore as a Cat-4.

I’m still planning on French Toast though.

Agree! My basement expert opinion is it won’t shift much in direction but the next 24 hours will show what she will do in intensity. More models are already agreeing on cat 3 for a short period.

Storm surge will be the other story.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
All you "we don't get outta bed unless it's category 87" are gonna jinx the fuck outta this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Two things: The weather channel has thrown my wife into pure panic mode.

2nd.  99.5% of the time storm surge predictions are utter bullshit. People in West Florida are
losing their minds over this storm.  I predict it hits New Orleans again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet if I had cable tv, and went on TWC, after the 5 minute propaganda on white man made imperialistic capitalistic climate change caused 200k deaths from triggering a volcano once, this next storm 'could be' a category 15 with 450 mph winds. Since there are so many sharks in the water, we 'could see' up to 2 million retiree shark attacks, even if you live inland by 5 miles, shelter in place because you won't survive.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Monday morning look at Idalia. Winds now 65mph. Starting that move north.

https://www.facebook.com/mikesweatherpage?ref=embed_page
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Flush this stank ass GA heat out

ETA:  hold on to your butts FL bros
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
pressure of 984 right now
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Tallahassee was in full panic mode yesterday. I saw a guy with an 8’ bed F250 completely loaded with propane cylinders, a family at the hardware store buying about a dozen gas cans, and when I stopped in Costco a guy with a flat cart and a wide eyed, panicked expression saw a case of water on my cart and asked if they had a limit on water - I’m just assuming he probably bought 10 cases, must be pretty thirsty. Every gas station has cars lined up to fill gas cans.

Panic hoarding is in full effect now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

As a life long Fl resident I’m not concerned about anything under a cat 3. I’ve seen afternoon thunderstorms worse than a tropical storm or even a cat 1.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, guess our group decided to delay our drive up to North Ga. Supposed to leave tomorrow... Need to stick around just in case it hooks east just a little earlier and to make sure servers are up and ok at work before I take off Wed. morning now.

EDIT: Scratch that... Wed. morning driving up 75 would probably be a bad decision looking at this mornings update.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tallahassee was in full panic mode yesterday. I saw a guy with an 8’ bed F250 completely loaded with propane cylinders, a family at the hardware store buying about a dozen gas cans, and when I stopped in Costco a guy with a flat cart and a wide eyed, panicked expression saw a case of water on my cart and asked if they had a limit on water - I’m just assuming he probably bought 10 cases, must be pretty thirsty. Every gas station has cars lined up to fill gas cans.

View Quote

every damn time.  retards
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

As a life long Fl resident I’m not concerned about anything under a cat 3. I’ve seen afternoon thunderstorms worse than a tropical storm or even a cat 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

If i lived on the beach or a barrier island I'd pay attention.  

people on the atlantic coast are panic buying.  really???
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense. Lots of new Florida residents that have never been through a storm are freaking out. Been this way forever. Now there's just more of them and the fear is contagious and scalable
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#18]
My mom is on the gulf coast. This could be close to her. I was just there and it appears I may be headed back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Lineman in neighboring states heading to Florida for that sweet double time OT and per diem pay.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you are not ready by now you are screwed, but it's just a tropical storm.
So true, I don't see much panic around the Tampa area, most here are prepared for a storm like this.
Now if we are talking about a Cat 3 cane or higher then, /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/It_s_Happening_Isn_t_It-117.gif
View Quote
I have seen it predicted to be cat 3 when it strikes the coast. Some very hot water in the Gulf right now.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lineman in neighboring states heading to Florida for that sweet double time OT and per diem pay.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlaringDeliciousHorseshoebat-max-1mb.gif
View Quote

I just got a text for availability here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I got too lazy to dig out my generator and get gas yesterday and sure enough the thing starts kicking east towards my place.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You may as well start packing now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Currently at my son's in New Port Richey and supposed to visit my MIL in Leesburg in a couple days. After we had a few nights booked in Biloxi on the way back to TX.

Not sure if I should bail now or hunker down at a family members place.

It figures.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Currently at my son's in New Port Richey and supposed to visit my MIL in Leesburg in a couple days. After we had a few nights booked in Biloxi on the way back to TX.

Not sure if I should bail now or hunker down at a family members place.

It figures.
View Quote

West of HW 19 I would consider leaving. Not as much for the storm as for the aftermath. A good chunk of NPR is sketchy on a good day
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a perfect example of the Florida Man.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's a perfect example of the Florida Man.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tallahassee was in full panic mode yesterday. I saw a guy with an 8' bed F250 completely loaded with propane cylinders, a family at the hardware store buying about a dozen gas cans, and when I stopped in Costco a guy with a flat cart and a wide eyed, panicked expression saw a case of water on my cart and asked if they had a limit on water - I'm just assuming he probably bought 10 cases, must be pretty thirsty. Every gas station has cars lined up to fill gas cans.

That's a perfect example of the Florida Man.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif
Not really, more like NY man new to Florida.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#28]
They now have "evacuation sirens" in Pinellas County to start and /or exacerbate a panic.

Too funny.

I recommend "The Purge" siren tone.

The newly installed sirens will let the barrier island residents know when they are under a mandatory hurricane evacuation. Captain Glen Smith of the Indian Shores Police Department says this is just another tool for officials to let everyone know when a hurricane is threatening and they need to leave.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/pinellascounty/indian-shores-siren-test-emergency-warning/67-3bc7776f-24d1-46e4-8f34-22cfd671754e

The Purge Siren For 5 Minutes
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Right now it suppose to be going north of the big metroplex of Tampa.  The lesson of Charlie and Ian is that it could  take a last minute jog to the east and cause major problems for a large population area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also said Charley and Ian were coming in at Tampa too...

Right now it suppose to be going north of the big metroplex of Tampa.  The lesson of Charlie and Ian is that it could  take a last minute jog to the east and cause major problems for a large population area.

That's the target on my back. I can't catch a break ever.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Monday morning look at Idalia. Winds now 65mph. Starting that move north.

https://www.facebook.com/mikesweatherpage?ref=embed_page
View Quote

Why post a facebook link?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#31]
In Georgia on my sailboat.

IDGAF.

I *might* go stock up on another 12pk of beer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

IDGAF.

View Quote

I wouldn't exactly call a 12pk "stocking up".
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Makes sense. Lots of new Florida residents that have never been through a storm are freaking out. Been this way forever. Now there's just more of them and the fear is contagious and scalable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do they say every June?  Buy your shit now.  Be ready now.  

Nope, water may expire
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have seen it predicted to be cat 3 when it strikes the coast. Some very hot water in the Gulf right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are not ready by now you are screwed, but it's just a tropical storm.
So true, I don't see much panic around the Tampa area, most here are prepared for a storm like this.
Now if we are talking about a Cat 3 cane or higher then, /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/It_s_Happening_Isn_t_It-117.gif

Good part is it’s fast moving.  Someone’s gonna get lit up, but it’ll be a relatively concentrated area
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I wouldn't exactly call a 12pk "stocking up".
View Quote

Just a typo. He meant 12 cases.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nah the models for ian were all over the place - nothing agreed even 2 days out. These models are pretty tight. Not saying it can’t shift - Charley did but this is different.

Now intensity sure I can agree there
View Quote

Ian
Attachment Attached File

Idalia
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What do they say every June?  Buy your shit now.  Be ready now.  

Nope, water may expire
View Quote

Actually, the cheap plastic water jugs at publix leak after a while. Need glass jugs/growlers for storage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

y'all earn it !   God bless the responding linemen  
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All you "we don't get outta bed unless it's category 87" are gonna jinx the fuck outta this.
View Quote

I have only been through one hurricane...a low Cat 3.  I would not do that again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not really, more like NY man new to Florida.
View Quote

This is true.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

IDGAF.

View Quote

Underachiever! Go with at least a full case. Or two.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess they technically had the cone of doom correct. Covers the entire state. I thought AI was here to solve this?

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Look at the position of the hurricanes in two those pictures. One is just west of Cuba, the other is well south of Jamaica.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I’m sure this storm will perfectly track up to the east coast of North Carolina. I’m leaving to go to my grandson’s graduation from Marine Corps Infantry training at Camp LeJeune on Friday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’m sure this storm will perfectly track up to the east coast of North Carolina. I’m leaving to go to my grandson’s graduation from Marine Corps Infantry training at Camp LeJeune on Friday.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif
View Quote

Congratulations!

I'd expect heavy rain, but not the real brunt of the storm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's the target on my back. I can't catch a break ever.  
View Quote

If it jogs east into Tampa / Tampa bay as a cat 3 it will devastating with the flooding  thole area is low as well at most of St Pete
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#50]
As of Monday morning, 28 August 2023:

KEY MESSAGES:

1. Idalia is now forecast to become a major hurricane before it reaches the Gulf coast of Florida.  The risk continues to increase
for life-threatening storm surge and dangerous hurricane-force winds along portions of the west coast of Florida and the Florida
Panhandle beginning as early as late Tuesday.  Storm surge and hurricane watches are in effect for portions of the west coast of
Florida and the coast of the Florida Panhandle, and residents in these areas should monitor updates to the forecast and follow any
advice given by local officials.

2. Areas of flash and urban flooding, some of which may be locally significant, are expected across portions of the west coast of
Florida, the Florida Panhandle, and southern Georgia Tuesday into Wednesday, spreading into portions of the eastern Carolinas
Wednesday into Thursday.

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top