Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How will they use this Hurricane against DeSantis?
View Quote

Don’t worry. Trump will relentlessly attack DeSantis and make fun of every speech he gives. Even if there are a lot of casualties Trump will turn it into a retard show and his orange drones will parrot everything he says.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will be Trump’s fault with some left over to pile on DeSantis!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I expect to have water in the house this time Wednesday. My floor is 4 ft above sea level . Im in Riverview on the southeast side of Tampa Bay on the Alafia River. this is normal high tide

Have put all the boats and kayaks on trailers ... My other house is a mile closer to the bay but the floor is at 9 ft above sea level. It may stay dry . But I think im gonna be a little fucked either way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I expect to have water in the house this time Wednesday. My floor is 4 ft above sea level . Im in Riverview on the southeast side of Tampa Bay on the Alafia River. this is normal high tide
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsgtrk9czz.jpg" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/dneal33/001_zpsgtrk9czz.jpg
Have put all the boats and kayaks on trailers ... My other house is a mile closer to the bay but the floor is at 9 ft above sea level. It may stay dry . But I think im gonna be a little fucked either way.
View Quote

I wouldn’t stress too much. Local news has seems to have a hard on lately about mass flooding in Tampa/Bay Area. We lived fairly close to Bayshore and they always went on about the storm surge going over the sea wall. Never happened.

We just moved and live off of Rhodine now. According to google earth the old house was 8’ above sea level. New house is 82’.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m under contract to buy a house in St. Pete at 11:30Am today that’s located in Zone A.

It looks like I’m fucked.

The house will likely be flooded within 24 hours of purchase.
View Quote

Simply say you need to move your boat and reschedule to Friday.
If it floods renegotiate a price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m under contract to buy a house in St. Pete at 11:30Am today that’s located in Zone A.

No shit.

Everyone has shut down in the area.

You've been given a great excuse to postpone closing
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Based upon your experience, at what point would highway travel be slow due to congestion?   Later today?  Starting Tuesday morning?
View Quote

All major highways. I would go backroads if possible. I haven’t checked this thread lately, been securing stuff down, running generator, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why can't one form outside of the season make a mad dash to Tallahassee when the legislature is in session? Would be nice to get the Capitol cleaned out.

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Didn’t see any on I-95 this morning, thought the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw 8 yellow ambulances running lights heading south on I-65 this morning.

Weird that I'm not seeing the power and cable trucks moving yet.

I saw some staging at a motel in Debary/Deltona area while working last night.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All major highways. I would go backroads if possible. I haven’t checked this thread lately, been securing stuff down, running generator, etc.
View Quote

Yep.. Highways (even when they open contraflow) become parking lots; even worse, if you need gas/supplies at all, you are out of luck thanks to the thousands of other people also stopping.  Take the backroads, and you might drive further, but you have better luck with things you might need.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

They may have already started by deciding to mispronounce Idalia as Ee-dalia to mock De-Santis, those are some sneaky buggers on the left. The pronunciation all over the media makes no sense to me, I can't think of another word off hand that starts with a high "i" vowel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You may have heard a friend or family member say, “I don’t need to worry about storing water for an emergency, I have a swimming pool!” Are they right? Well, here you’ll learn if it’s really safe to drink pool water in an emergency, what you can do to make sure it’s safe, and if you should rely on it as an emergency water source.

Can You Drink Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency?
View Quote

I used ours to flush commodes and bathe in during Michael.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
In the path.   We are prepped.  Water/Fuel/Food/Ammo lol.  Hopefully it shifts more west.   The area around Perry is much more sparsely populated and mostly deer camps.   Will post when it passes.  Have to pull the starlink inside tonight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the path.   We are prepped.  Water/Fuel/Food/Ammo lol.  Hopefully it shifts more west.   The area around Perry is much more sparsely populated and mostly deer camps.   Will post when it passes.  Have to pull the starlink inside tonight.
View Quote

The only good thing is if it hits Taylor, Dixie or Lafayette the area is pretty rural, should be mostly tree damage.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got on north i75 from Florida turnpike. Within a couple miles bunch of random bucket trucks headed south.

Traffic flow seems pretty normal as we head up to north GA (previously planned vaca).

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Things more likely than the house flooding.

1. Title company cancels and reschedules the closing because they decided to close the office.

2. Insurance company won’t issue policy until after the storm goes by. No closing.

3.Mortgage company won’t release funds until after the storm goes by because of #2. No closing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You won't be able to close since you cannot get insurance while a named storm is active anyway. Even if is a cash deal I would stand fast on the sorry cannot close until I can get insurance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will be fine. It’s going northwest of your new house.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I used ours to flush commodes and bathe in during Michael.
View Quote

We lost power for a week or so after Irma and the pool was used for exactly that. I had enough 5 gallon jugs around that we didn’t even need to use anything out of the hot water heater. We did go through the water in our pressure tank washing hands (I turned the toilet valves off so it wouldn’t automatically refill from the pressure tank).However, with proper filtration and chemical disinfection it can certainly be made potable. I’d rather start there than any other surface water source as the number of overflowing septic systems will severely contaminate most ponds, lakes, and streams. Very unlikely I’ll ever need to use the pool for drinking water but I have the gear utilize it safely if necessary.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming you actually have to physically sign something, I'm guessing no one is going to be open to take your signature.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only good thing is if it hits Taylor, Dixie or Lafayette the area is pretty rural, should be mostly tree damage.
View Quote
Yes agree.  There are some people out that way, but they have done this before...
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They may have already started by deciding to mispronounce Idalia as Ee-dalia to mock De-Santis, those are some sneaky buggers on the left. The pronunciation all over the media makes no sense to me, I can't think of another word off hand that starts with a high "i" vowel.
View Quote

That one's on NOAA. They have the same bizarre thing going on for their planned 2025-2027 names.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/aboutnames_pronounce_atlc.pdf
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Advisory

Hurricane Idalia Advisory Number  12
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL102023
1100 AM EDT Tue Aug 29 2023

...IDALIA STRENGTHENING...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED
ALONG PORTIONS OF THE GULF COAST OF FLORIDA TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...24.6N 84.8W
ABOUT 120 MI...190 KM W OF THE DRY TORTUGAS
ABOUT 275 MI...440 KM SSW OF TAMPA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 5 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...976 MB...28.82 INCHES

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#26]

I wonder if the NHC is going to back of the Major hurricane prediction. The consensus of the intensity models have never really supported it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone have an updated rainfall projection map?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got on north i75 from Florida turnpike. Within a couple miles bunch of random bucket trucks headed south.

Traffic flow seems pretty normal as we head up to north GA (previously planned vaca).

View Quote

At the Prarie Rest Area 45 minutes later... there are a ton tree clearing and electrical buckets trucks headed south. Traffic still normal...
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Storm surge updated to 10-15 feet

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw 8 yellow ambulances running lights heading south on I-65 this morning.

Weird that I'm not seeing the power and cable trucks moving yet.

I got to my hotel in Pittsburgh on Sunday and the lot was packed full of power trucks. They took off heading south Monday AM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wonder if the NHC is going to back of the Major hurricane prediction. The consensus of the intensity models have never really supported it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Been wondering this myself - its not small, but its not like there is THAT much time for it to spin up more (famous last words)
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Hurricanes suck. Hurricanes are evil. But if this projected path proves to be accurate, the worst storm surge will hit a low population area. Prayers for all of Florida!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You got sick, and couldn't close today, RIGHT?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hurricanes suck. Hurricanes are evil. But if this projected path proves to be accurate, the worst storm surge will hit a low population area. Prayers for all of Florida!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m pretty happy right now that my deal on that beach house south of Perry fell through last year. It’s about to be underwater up past the windows.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’m pretty happy right now that my deal on that beach house south of Perry fell through last year. It’s about to be underwater up past the windows.
View Quote

Yeah, that would be bad. And in no way am I not sympathetic to those currently residing in the area which is less populated. Because, as I mentioned before, hurricanes suck and are evil. Prayers to all of my fellow southerners dealing with this!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a Delta flight into Altanta landing around 7PM tomorrow connecting to a flight leaving at 9pm.

Is Delta going to tell me anything, or just cancel last minute? Never dealt with this before...
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got a Delta flight into Altanta landing around 7PM tomorrow connecting to a flight leaving at 9pm.

Is Delta going to tell me anything, or just cancel last minute? Never dealt with this before...
View Quote

I’d suggest calling delta. Unless it shifts dramatically, it shouldn’t really affect Atlanta.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Atlanta should be fine. Likely some rain and light winds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be aware, Tampa Intl. closed this morning so that could effect some planes not being where they planned on being.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm on the east coast. I'm going to a local gun shop to see if I can snag a S&W Model 422.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm on the east coast. I'm going to a local gun shop to see if I can snag a S&W Model 422.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

422 or 442?

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will they consider it tax exempt as part of the hurricane prep??
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Been wondering this myself - its not small, but its not like there is THAT much time for it to spin up more (famous last words)
View Quote

Katrina went from 115mph to 165mph in 12 hours.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Franklin went from 115 to 145 in 6 hours yesterday morning.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

422 or 442?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

422 or 442?

¿Porque no dós?

The 422 is truly one of the best guns that they've ever made, that desperately needs a reboot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anyone have an updated rainfall projection map?
View Quote

It is in the first post and all the charts appear to update to the latest version.  Verify that the date/time associated with it is current.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#48]
How bad do yall think Orlando will get?

I've got a co-worker that's supposed to go there on vacation next week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder what the water temp of the Gulf was for Katrina vs. the 90 degrees now. The warm water feeds hurricanes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]
As of 12:20 PM EDT on 29 August 2023, the Florida 511 website of traffic is not showing any congestion going north or south.

That assumes that it is relatively current.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top