Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't have risked my safety over purses, but I applaud OP's efforts.

View Quote

Agreed.  I had a client killed over something similar.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But in this case, the thieves had loads of high end purses and bags according to OP....which should make it a felony in itself.  According to my online search of California law, it is considered felony grand theft if the items stolen are valued at over $950 (aggregate).   I bet they more than met that threshold with even stealing just two of them.  And of course it is all so tiresome.

View Quote

California reparations.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But in this case, the thieves had loads of high end purses and bags according to OP....which should make it a felony in itself.  According to my online search of California law, it is considered felony grand theft if the items stolen are valued at over $950 (aggregate).   I bet they more than met that threshold with even stealing just two of them.  And of course it is all so tiresome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those unfamiliar with with California law. The cops cannot arrest for most misdemeanors unless it was committed in their presence. As such, California has robust “citizen arrest” laws which they typically call private persons arrests. When the thieves resisted the OPs attempt to effect a citizens arrest they escalated the crime to strong arm robbery.

Which means he had even greater legal authority to arrest
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Story would have been way cooler if for the second group, instead of tackling, doing one of those flying double leg kicks right to the chest of Pin 1

Regardless, you did good — a little banged up but you’ll sleep better knowing you tried to do what was right in the situation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The sum total of purses they dropped was well over $950 if not double that, they got away with 5-6 times that amount of stuff.

For any other readers that get this far, and FWIW, I didn't do this because I care about Bloomingdales having some shrink for the day. I'm sure the company politics are as garbage as the next, I did this because I am sick of the bad guys winning all the time, seeing it on youtube, the news etc, and to maybe give them pause the next time they attempt this shit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Good for you OP.  I’d like to think I would do the same.  Hope your neck heals up.  I understand that pain.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Eh, good for you, OP. Thanks for giving it a shot.

I've gotta ask though - you mention these were blacks? Are you sure they weren't teens, or youths?

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupidly awesome

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's Orange County. You can get a CCW. You should have stuck around for the cops. The DA is really sick of LA county thugs going to OC for crime.   That they use force against you escalated their shoplifting / organized retail theft to Robbery.

You're fine.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Out fucking standing, OP.  Good on ya.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they each had 6 purses, that could have been close to, or more than $1 million in value. That mall's LV store often has purses worth more than $100k.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Alls well that ends well, hopefully those two guys are feeling your hits more than you.  Needs to be done more  I'm not going to second guess you.  Glad you're not more  banged up op
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Because I am sick and tired, at every conceivable level, of the lack of repercussions for other peoples action.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
How do you walk without tripping over your dick or kicking yourself in the balls?

I hate it when I do that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy fucking wall of text, Batman!

Without reading a word of that giant screed, I'm going to say you were 87% stupid. Pretty sure that's close to the mark and I didn't have to suffer through reading all that shit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Because I am sick and tired, at every conceivable level, of the lack of repercussions for other peoples action.
View Quote

Heck yea

This country is headed for a reckoning and people need to get themselves prepared for what's coming.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty cool story, but I don't know if that was the best thing to do. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
View Quote

You may never know how you will react under real stress. Sometimes it might be a reaction like the OP. You never know until you do.

I'm no Billy Badass. Numerous times I've walked away from some asshole with a mouth aching for loosened teeth. Those times, their attitude was directed toward me. Logic intervened with "You have those that depend on you...no time to afford a hospital or jail visit."

Found out a long time ago that my "Fuck it" line is with those hurting others that are weaker...logic fades there. The first time was sixth grade.  Cold cocked a kid that was picking on a small buddy of mine. The last time was when a drunk brother in law was verbally terrorizing his wife and three small girls. Weird how you semi black out with a flush of rage. He ended up getting head smashed into tiled floor and I damn near choked him out.

What OP did was dangerous. Especially in the current political environment with repercussions for those that wade in to do the right thing. He found out thieves are his Fuck It line. Just glad he didn't get shanked or jelly stomped.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, they won't be reoffending anytime soon!

Lemme know once society realizes doing the needful is necessary.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally for me, I would only do it if it was life or death. Material things can be replace, you life is not worth it if you get injured or worse...
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:29:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad you are able to tell the tale under your own power.     Totally understand.
   Hope you and pops heal up quickly.  

Crazy how the state has created an Avenue for income via crime.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know if that was the best thing to do but I certainly understand. I'm glad you didn't get hurt, too bad.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Well played.
Have a friend that used to work at a smoke shop.
Was visiting her on a break.
Thief ran with cartons and I tackled them, HARD, cuffing and holding them for police.
Company policy was to not intervene.
I didn't work for the company.
Police were grateful that the POS got hurt stealing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy wall of text batman. Think I'll sit this one out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apologies, next time I'll limit my post to 140 characters, 3 grunts and a fart.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:41:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Abandon California.

I know I did, one of the best decisions of my life.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#27]
You were lucky you weren't shot.
Just because you can't carry doesn't mean they can't.

You would have died over someone else's shit
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
It's Orange County, not LA County.  Very different worlds.  Hopefully, you should be OK
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]
It’s nice living somewhere that this doesn’t occur.

We deserve what we tolerate. Probably could have been done more effectively, but at least you tried.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, you could have easily been knifed, shot, or badly beaten.   But I too applaud your efforts.

I did my annual OC visit a couple months ago.   I was so concerned about the shit in the news I took my pistol for the first time, only to use as a last resort. I avoided LA County like the plague it is.    I saw no blacks and no trouble in OC the entire 2 weeks.  Hopefully, the police and prosecutors will crack down hard on these assholes coming out of LA County.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yet you replied something negative, instead of just moving on.
Quality move.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're a good man, OP
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Holy fucking wall of text, Batman!
Without reading a word of that giant screed, I'm going to say you were 87% stupid. Pretty sure that's close to the mark and I didn't have to suffer through reading all that shit.

Quoted:
View Quote
READING is apparently quite a challenge for some.   And having not read it does not stop some from still ignorantly spouting off about it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#34]
So you hurt yourself for no reason, risking the health and well-being of not just yourself, but also your stepfather and your mother? When even the people who get paid for that, didn't do it? And the result was the lawbreakers got away with it?

Well I tip my hat to you, deputy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#35]
If there’s ever a next time…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Good Job OP
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#37]
TLDR and all that but I hope you are ok OP.  

As far as dumb...  I see you are in CA.  So yes. ..that was dumb.  The retailer doesn't give a fuck.  The city doesn't give a fuck.  The employees don't give a fuck.  So why should you.  

He'll, CA is so fucked up, I'm surprised you ain't in jail for some bullshit assault charge.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:02:28 AM EDT
[#38]
20 years ago I was down on my luck and worked as a security guard at South Coast Plaza. Even back then we were told to just observe and report. We were discouraged from intervening, and to be honest I wasn't paid enough to get involved in any physical altercation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If they each had 6 purses, that could have been close to, or more than $1 million in value. That mall's LV store often has purses worth more than $100k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I fully understand the value involved. This sort of thing was reaching epidemic proportions at the one mall near me on Long Island. However, there was such a fuss that the mall and county cops cracked down on it and,, based on the lack of news reports, it has probably stopped or at least slowed.

However, as expensive as they are, there are still many of them but only one of me. To my family at least, I am irreplaceable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
DA gonna prosecute your ass for harming the perps.
View Quote

Sadly this...They're a protected class now. Good is evil and Evil is good thing. All in preparation for the Lawless One who is coming and may even be alive right now
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, fuck all that. Glad you werent seriously hurt.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#42]
And what would you have done if you were CCW-ing?

(absolutely nothing, if you have half-a brain cell)
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Many people have lost their jobs recently from their employer (retail). For trying to stop thefts....
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#44]
TL/DR.      Blade at 45.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Good for you.  F Newsome also.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#46]
You did good. More people should do what you did !
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You did good. More people should do what you did !
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#48]
My greatest responsibility is taking care of my family, so no, definitely not getting involved in something like that. I understand being sick of it, though, and glad it worked out for you without you getting hurt worse or having to kill somebody and ruining your life forever.

Other than that...you gave your DOB to a mall cop?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first thought was this
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#50]
In on this Sexual Chocolate thread!

ETA:  Awesome work OP!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top