Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
That gaggle of feral ethnic scum were not and never will be gentlemen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
OP I'm glad you tried to do the right thing.
Unfortunately, the voters and the government don't want that happening.

In a just world it would be legal for stores to defend their property with force.

Criminals would also be prosecuted fully.

Unfortunately, we live in clown world.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Went shopping with my mother and step father for my wife's upcoming birthday at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa CA today. For the majority of ya'll that have never heard of that place, it's one of the two higher end malls in Orange County, 15 minutes from Newport Beach, all the top end brands, every high-end watch manufacture (PP, Vacheron Constantin, A. Lange & Söhne, Rolex, etc). The clientele is predominately Chinese,
View Quote

thats funny. in the 80s and 90s it was mostly japanese. those pacific rim tourists would hit that place like crazy.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The store whose money you saved likely donated to the politicians that made those thefts possible.
View Quote

That's my first thought.

Glad you are ok OP. I respect your action.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand perfectly why the OP did what he did. That being said, I wouldn't have done likewise.
I too am sick of living in a world where the bad guys don't just win, but are actually allowed to win.
That being said, I'm not risking my life and everything in it to take a purely symbolic stand.
Risk vs reward an all that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad OP is OK.
But that was tactically unsound.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Companies can protect their own losses if they think it's worth the effort.

Stop trying to be a hero.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
At least you tried to do something.

I am familiar with that mall and you are correct.

They stand out big time....
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion, you're a hero for trying with the odds against you. You should be commended for trying to react against evil. It's the heart that counts and you have plenty of that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Been to that mall many times as my family have a house in Huntington Beach.  Shame that it is becoming like this.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, you may feel a little foolish for trying to stop this and putting yourself in danger for an unthankful victim.  Don’t.  If another 10 or 20 fellow shoppers had joined in (like you step dad), do you think there would have been a different outcome?  Years ago, that would have been the response in many parts of the country.  It’s past time to make these ‘smash and grab’ thefts acceptable because ‘they have insurance’.  You know who pays for the insurance?  Not the store, but the customers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The store whose money you saved likely donated to the politicians that made those thefts possible.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#13]
What needs to happen to those 6 will never happen unless we actually get rid of any possibility for reprocussions for civilians handling shit.

If therr were no policr to respond to a call of 6 dead shoplifters then good luck being able to file charges or bring a case to court.

Be a damn shame of their were 6-8 different makes and calibers retrieved during medical examination that showed multiple shooters.

Imagine that 4-11 asian woman cranking off 5-6 shots into 1 or two of them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]
1. Not your stuff, not your problem.
2. You had two vulnerable people under your care.
3. You were badly outnumbered.
4. The perps weren't threatening you or your folks with death or GBI.
5. APPLY FOR AND GET YOUR CCW PERMIT.

Since the federal Gruen decision and per order of AG Bonta (the Stopped Clock) anyone who can legally buy a firearm in California can get a CCW permit.  The state is now shall-issue.  I've posted about my experience getting a permit in San Diego County in the Hometown/California forum.  It looks like the process and requirements in OC are similar.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#15]
It is within me to always appreciate men who stand when the odds are against them and there's no personal gain to be had.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP I'm glad you tried to do the right thing.
Unfortunately, the voters and the government don't want that happening.

In a just world it would be legal for stores to defend their property with force.

Criminals would also be prosecuted fully.

Unfortunately, we live in clown world.
View Quote

There are signs, at least in some places, that the pendulum is starting to swing the other way, and a LOT of people are getting sick of criminal scum running rampant.

Hopefully more of them will start gettIng shot in the face.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m sure this has been covered, but that was a very poor choice

Don’t risk your life or freedom trying to save a corporation some money.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been covered, but that was a very poor choice

Don't risk your life or freedom trying to save a corporation some money.
View Quote
It's not just about "trying to save a corporation some money", it's about letting the scumbag thieves know that honest people have had enough of their shit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't fault you, the reason California is the way it is is because nobody does anything. People LET the crime happen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Should you voluntarily call the PD & offer an unsolicited statement? Nah dog
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Not quite as good as a Christmas Party I attended at Nakatomi Plaza once.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"VOL CANE NOOO!"
View Quote

Made me laugh
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It’s Orange County. You can get a CCW. You should have stuck around for the cops. The DA is really sick of LA county thugs going to OC for crime.   That they use force against you escalated their shoplifting / organized retail theft to Robbery.

You’re fine.
View Quote

Definitely pursue the CCW, but I don;t know that I would have gotten involved. If the store owners who are the highest stake holders aren’t fighting for themselves, why would you risk harm and legal jeopardy to yourself protecting their ‘stuff’?

This shit won’t stop until the store owners rise up and do something. Until that happens, MYOB.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, they won't be reoffending anytime soon!

Lemme know once society realizes doing the needful is necessary.
View Quote

If hired security doesn't do the needful why bother hiring security?

That's what stood out for me. Glad the OP is OK.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Definitely pursue the CCW, but I don;t know that I would have gotten involved. If the store owners who are the highest stake holders aren’t fighting for themselves, why would you risk harm and legal jeopardy to yourself protecting their ‘stuff’?

This shit won’t stop until the store owners rise up and do something. Until that happens, MYOB.
View Quote

The store owners and politicians are rich, insulated, and have no balls. Don’t rely on them for anything.  Society isn’t going to change until the townsfolk make it happen.  What they were doing was fucking wrong and OP stood in their way.  Excellent work OP!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
South Coast Plaza

that's a name I haven't heard in a long time
no repercussions so I'm not shocked how prevalent these group looting's are today
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Apply for a ccw . Sadly you can not shoot these violent felons.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Good on you op.
This type of intervention needs to become commonplace. It won’t have a chance of fixing itself otherwise.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Since the federal Gruen decision and per order of AG Bonta (the Stopped Clock) anyone who can legally buy a firearm in California can get a CCW permit.  The state is now shall-issue.  I've posted about my experience getting a permit in San Diego County in the Hometown/California forum.  It looks like the process and requirements in OC are similar.
View Quote

Again, are you allowed to use it?

Just wondering because people seem to be under the impression that having a CCW is a magic talisman. It doesn't matter if you are "allowed" to own a gun or have a CCW if you aren't allowed to defend yourself.

I remember years ago when the swiss were held up as an example for the rest of the world, that the crime rate would never be bad because the swiss were "allowed" to own guns.

What is conveniently left out of the argument is whether the swiss can actually defend themselves. Apparently, most if not all of Europe, if not the world, is not legally able to defend themselves by any means.

Even in much of the US, the violent criminal is protected under the law, the violent criminal can act with the comfort of knowing his victim will be aptly punished if he/she dares try to act in their own self interest, even to the point of not being "allowed" to defend ones own life.

To me this is widespread Stockholm syndrome that somehow has established itself in every part of the world. It's as ludicrous to me as pretending you can be a different gender.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
So you put yourself in harm’s way to protect the insured, overpriced property of a corporation that would happily bury you in the legal system?

I think what you did was pants on head retarded.

I would suggest that you read Violence of Mind and figure out your “mission”.

Mine is to be a good person, always do the right thing and honor God and my wife, work hard, honestly, and ethically to support my family, and get home safely.

If you decide yours is getting in violent altercations with groups of criminal wastes of oxygen in order to fail at preventing the theft of a bunch of useless garbage that a giant corporation owns, then I guess you nailed it.

Inb4 the best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing or whatever ??.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For those unfamiliar with with California law. The cops cannot arrest for most misdemeanors unless it was committed in their presence. As such, California has robust “citizen arrest” laws which they typically call private persons arrests. When the thieves resisted the OPs attempt to effect a citizens arrest they escalated the crime to strong arm robbery.
View Quote

I’m sure they all realized that and headed out to go immediately turn themselves in
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So you put yourself in harm's way to protect the insured, overpriced property of a corporation that would happily bury you in the legal system?

I would suggest that you read Violence of Mind and figure out your "mission".

Mine is to be a good person, always do the right thing and honor God and my wife, work hard, honestly, and ethically to support my family, and get home safely.

If you decide yours is getting in violent altercations with groups of criminal wastes of oxygen in order to fail at preventing the theft of a bunch of useless garbage that a giant corporation owns, then I guess you nailed it.

Inb4 the best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing or whatever .
View Quote

The other poster was right though, it won't stop until people show they've had enough. It's got to start somewhere.

"Doing something knowing it will hurt is called courage. It's also called stupid. That's why life is hard. "

I didn't make that up, it's true though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The other poster was right though, it won't stop until people show they've had enough. It's got to start somewhere.

"Doing something knowing it will hurt is called courage. It's also called stupid. That's why life is hard. "

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you put yourself in harm's way to protect the insured, overpriced property of a corporation that would happily bury you in the legal system?

I would suggest that you read Violence of Mind and figure out your "mission".

Inb4 the best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing or whatever .

Ok. What if he pushed one of these thieves into the ground and the thief hits his head on the ground and dies. Will the State of California, the Prosecutors office and LE have his back?? Or will they say his use of lethal force was not justified and throw the book at him. To save some purses from a Company who probably supported politicians who enabled these crooks?? This is not a hill to die on to display “courage” or showing you had enough. I’m glad OP and his family are safe.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If hired security doesn't do the needful why bother hiring security?

That's what stood out for me. Glad the OP is OK.
View Quote

So they can shine their flashlight at things, and take an entire page in their notebook to write down one or two words. I only bringing up the latter because as the guard was thumbing through his notebook when taking my name I saw 95% of the pages being occupied with one or two words.

Not putting them down, a job is a job and money is money, but I can't for the life of me imagine going to work everyday knowing I am as useful as Anne Frank's drum kit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The store owners and politicians are rich, insulated, and have no balls. Don’t rely on them for anything.  Society isn’t going to change until the townsfolk make it happen.  What they were doing was fucking wrong and OP stood in their way.  Excellent work OP!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that every one of those criminals are laughing their asses off about how they got over on the store and the 2 white boys they ran over while counting their cash, right?

Op changed nothing about the situation or their behavior. What he did accomplish is getting himself and one of those in his care needlessly injured and leaving the the other one in a precarious, helpless position.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just wondering because people seem to be under the impression that having a CCW is a magic talisman. It doesn't matter if you are "allowed" to own a gun or have a CCW if you aren't allowed to defend yourself.

I remember years ago when the swiss were held up as an example for the rest of the world, that the crime rate would never be bad because the swiss were "allowed" to own guns.

What is conveniently left out of the argument is whether the swiss can actually defend themselves. Apparently, most if not all of Europe, if not the world, is not legally able to defend themselves by any means.

Even in much of the US, the violent criminal is protected under the law, the violent criminal can act with the comfort of knowing his victim will be aptly punished if he/she dares try to act in their own self interest, even to the point of not being "allowed" to defend ones own life.

To me this is widespread Stockholm syndrome that somehow has established itself in every part of the world. It's as ludicrous to me as pretending you can be a different gender.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

He had a knife and a flashlight. Neither were used and one wasn’t even on him after the 20 second altercation.  

A gun is very rarely the answer to a situation. VERY rarely.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Good people from California should go shopping before baseball intramural practice, and carry their Louisville slugger around with them. In minecraft
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good people from California should go shopping before baseball intramural practice, and carry their Louisville slugger around with them. In minecraft
View Quote

Including a ball and a mitt adds plausible deniability.

I carry a billy club and some fishing gear, so the club is a "fish bat."
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#40]
OP good job
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#41]
No TDLR?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No TDLR?
View Quote

You're right, I updated the post with a TLDR, just for you, because I love you that much.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP, you may feel a little foolish for trying to stop this and putting yourself in danger for an unthankful victim.  Don’t.  If another 10 or 20 fellow shoppers had joined in (like you step dad), do you think there would have been a different outcome?  Years ago, that would have been the response in many parts of the country.  It’s past time to make these ‘smash and grab’ thefts acceptable because ‘they have insurance’.  You know who pays for the insurance?  Not the store, but the customers.
View Quote

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I came across this post. If more people reacted like you did, OP, this shit would stop. But I understand why people don't step up the way you did. Too often, the repercussions are on the person doing the right thing instead of the one breaking the law.  Good on you for caring enough to take that chance.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#44]
All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Although I was a cop for thirty years, my off-duty interventions have often borne better results..
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You realize that every one of those criminals are laughing their asses off about how they got over on the store and the 2 white boys they ran over while counting their cash, right?

Op changed nothing about the situation or their behavior. What he did accomplish is getting himself and one of those in his care needlessly injured and leaving the the other one in a precarious, helpless position.
View Quote

OP is leading by example.  One man can only do so much. But what if everyone acts as he did?

Criminals are cowards, they brazenly steal because they know the sheep won’t resist. If things are ever going to get better, we need more men with fortitude who will accept some risk to stand up for what’s right.  Like I said, business owners, politicians, cops aren’t going to fix the criminal culture.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Glad you’re okay OP.

I will say, if Bloomingdale’s can’t be bothered to give a shit, I sure wouldn’t.

I’m sure as hell not going to take on 6 for some purses that aren’t even my wife’s.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#47]
You asked " How stupid am I ? ". You could have got your mother and step father hurt or killed and you wife a widow for somebody else's handbags.
Your a fucking idiot. Remember, you asked.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
TLDR.  OP has issues
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#49]
You're not going to lose a dime. Think of your family. Don't risk your life. Don't try and be a hero.

Your money is ensured by the federal government | Heat 1995
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
this second hit rung my bell but good, I was pretty shocked once contact was made, and the blow I took to the head wasn't fantastic either.

The 6 or so security guards finally made their way over to use to see if we were ok. They never intervened in the situation as it unfolded, as I'm sure they are forbidden to do.

The security guards gave us a few ice packs, took our names and DOBs and shook our hands and we were on our way.

My step dad hit his knee when he fell, but was not worse for wear. When I fell after making contact with the second individual I hit my right anklebone, skinned my right knee on the polished marble floor, bruised my right hip and skinned my right elbow. My neck and head are killing me as the whiplash from the second hit was substantial, having an already jacked up C-spin from a rear-ending accident years ago isn't doing me any favors at this point.

I know this was probably not the right course of action to take.
View Quote
So you intervened at great personal risk, got injured, and left your contact information with the group of people whose jobs are to not do anything?  

The store will write it off as an insurance loss, but you?  You'll be lucky if someone doesn't try to sue you for giving a fuck.

Not saying you didn't do the morally correct thing, but you got hurt and exposed yourself to a lot of liability.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top