Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool post Op!  My grandfather was a seabee in WWII in the south pacific.  He died in 1963 before I was born.  Wish I knew what islands he had been on.  I have no family alive left with info I need to request his service records.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that volcanic ash for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology
View Quote
 Derp.  The ecology was massively raped by the Japs and then the Japs and what was left of the ecology was savagely raped by the Navy and Marines back in the WW2. Whatever was left hardened the fuck up and laughs the pathetic scoop
of sand somebody takes now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of years it took for the earth to make that volcanic ash for you and all the other yahoos to take and destroy the ecology
View Quote

There is not another post you sir could ever make that I would want to read.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather was a Marine and was wounded at Iwo Jima.  Spent 6 months in a hospital recovering.  Suffered the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Epic OP.

Amazing pictures.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cool post Op!  My grandfather was a seabee in WWII in the south pacific.  He died in 1963 before I was born.  Wish I knew what islands he had been on.  I have no family alive left with info I need to request his service records.
View Quote
Mine was as well.  He passed in 1999. I was able to hear his stories. Hard men doing hard jobs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting this OP. Very cool experience for you.

I had jr high coach/history teacher that was a marine that fought the japs.
He was involved in a handful of beach landings, including Iwo Jima. The stories were amazing. Much respect.

Quoted:
Wow, always thought you were better than this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, always thought you were better than this.
Quoted:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool......
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, pretty cool, did not know the Japs controlled the island with an iron grip.

May have try that, I was on Guam for 2 years and never even thought about going to Iwo Jima.
View Quote
I think it's actually part of Japan.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry your Green New Deal lost.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone mentioned the delicate ecosystem of that island yet?  Because when I think of the fighting that took place on the island and the men that died fighting over that piece of rock the first thing that pops into my mind is the ecosystem.

I think I may go out on my buddy's boat today, kill a sea turtle or two and then dump a quart of oil in the ocean.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I bet those scoops of sand are damaging. You know what else was probably damaging?
WHEN IT WAS TURNED INTO A HELLISH LANDSCAPE OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION DURING WORLD WAR FUCKING TWO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Also: Cool trip, OP. Post more pics if you can!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Around 30,000 people died on that island in about 3 months or less.
Do they still find human remains I wonder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#18]
My step father was offshore on the Benham screening the fleet from air attack.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t worry so much. Suribachi is still an active volcano. It’s not like it’s going to run out of volcanic sand anytime soon.

Iwo Jima has risen more out of the sea since WW2. Those ships wrecked on the shore used to be further out.
View Quote
Unpossible. Global warming is raising the sea level and they should be further from the shore...
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]
One of the most awe inspiring days I ever had was flying into IWorks, climbing Surinachi and flying out literally 30 mins before a typhoon struck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Around 30,000 people died on that island in about 3 months or less.
Do they still find human remains I wonder.
View Quote
They're still looking.

Japan plans to develop strong radar to find WWII remains on Iwo Jima

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — Japan plans to develop a powerful ground-penetrating radar to help find World War II remains on Iwo To, the iconic island known to Americans as Iwo Jima.

The radar’s specifics are unknown, because its development has not yet gone out to bid; however, officials hope it will be able to penetrate deeper than existing systems that can find objects with a diameter of about an inch as deep as 13 feet, or a 20-inch cavity as deep as 33 feet.

Nearly $11.9 million has been allocated in fiscal year 2018 to excavation efforts on the island, and part of that money will help pay for the project, a Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare official told Stars and Stripes.

“We would like to check [the island] thoroughly,” he said. “The Japanese government needs to work together as one and proceed in order to discover [these] uncollected remains.”

The radar’s development is being led by the Ministry of Defense, the official added.

The need for a better radar became apparent after 1,798 unsuccessful shallow excavations on Iwo To between 2014 and 2017, the official said. Despite those failures, three anomalies were discovered near the island’s runway in 2012 and 2013 using a radar provided by the Ministry of Defense.

Last year, after excavating the site of one of the anomalies, two sets of human remains were found at a depth of about 52 feet, prompting the request for a higher performing radar.

Officials said they hope to dig under the runway, should more anomalies be detected by the new radar, but hope to do so in a way that will not disrupt base activities. The runway is used by the Japan Self-Defense Forces and the U.S. military during carrier-landing drills.

As the United States bore down on the island in February 1945, its approximately 22,000 Japanese defenders burrowed deep into the rock underground, creating a sprawling complex of tunnels and caverns, many of which exist today.

In the heavy fighting that followed, about 21,900 Japanese were killed, the Japanese official said. Only 10,410 sets of their remains have been recovered.

Of the approximately 70,000 Americans who participated in the 36-day Battle of Iwo Jima, about 6,800 were killed. Of those, 151 American servicemembers – mostly Marines – remain unaccounted for, said Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency spokesman Lt. Col. Kenneth Hoffman. The Marines that stormed the island stronghold took two completed airfields and a third that was under construction, so finding American remains in the area of the runway “is possible.”

If American remains are found, information will be provided to DPAA, the Japanese official said. More at link
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome!  Would love to visit it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let me guess. Austin?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank another demorat president for giving it away.  Numbnuts Johnson did so in 1968.  He's the forerunner to Jimmee Carter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Crazy to think of how many men died for what is today an otherwise insignificant piece of land.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Super cool picture. The old man used to tell stories about that place. He said he used the blade on his dozer as a bullet barrier while they cleared tank traps. Later he bulldozed japs, dead and alive into the surf. That shit haunted him.
View Quote
My dad was there as a Seabee as well.
The only thing he would say about it was "you don't want to know what happened there,
don't ever ask me about that place again".
Until the day he died, he never would discuss Iwo Jima.
I have  some pics of the bulldozers, cranes, barracks and such on the island.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#28]
My grandfather fought there, it's absolutely amazing.

Thanks for posting OP

BTW when you get back to Guam, if you have time there are quite of few battle sites there to see.

Stop in Jeff's Pirates cove and grab a glass of their lemon tea.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Man, always wanted to go there.

I got a rock from Belleau Woods, have I destroyed France?

ETA:  Oh shit, forgot a friend also gave me a rock from Omaha Beach...is the Sea Shepherd going to show up on my doorstep???
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you really "wonder" you could do the math pretty easy.

45 - 50 ft of ash have been deposited since the fighting.

So what would be the formula to figure out handfuls of ash production per "hundreds of thousands of years".
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356991/IMG_4751_JPG-891611.JPG
Green and Red Beaches from Mt. Suribachi
View Quote
Phenomenal
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had some French Fries with my burger for lunch yesterday.  My environmental impact was off the chart. Cow farts and pesticides and factory farms. Oh my!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ohttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356991/IMG_4725_JPG-891594.JPGDuring the 74th Reunion of Honor on Iwo Jima this weekend.  Incredible experience being on that island.  Collected volcanic ash from Green Beach.
Anyone else from ARFCOM there?
View Quote
Yes. I went to the 50th Reunion.

Hallowed ground.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#34]
That's awesome, glad you got to experience that.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Could this be the dumbest fucking comment ever made?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
The HORROR

Seeing Mt Suribachi is on my bucket list, to the OP thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Derp enough that it should be immortalized in copypasta

OP:  very cool. Looks like a scary field of fire over those beaches from up top.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Cool post op, thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been to Iwo twice.
Never been able to take the hike.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I interviewed a Marine on Green Beach 50 years after he came ashore. He had a sandbag on his shoulder, full of black sand. He told me with tears in his eyes he was taking it back home to share with his buds who couldn't make the trip.

He's passed on now, so I will speak for him and say, "Fuck off".
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
Quoted:
The invasion beaches are about 45 feet above sea level now.  Trying to resize some pics to post
View Quote
It's actually volcanic lift. The island is constantly growing.
View Quote
45 feet, 75 years ago, = about half a foot per year...The island is growing faster than any population of yahoos could possibly destroy in the one day per year that the Japanese allow people to visit it
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I think Texassooner just became a shoo in for the Arfcom vote of "Least classy post of all time"

And that includes the cockpocalypse. Acockalypse? I forget.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That would be a trip to remember. I watched a show where a couple of guys went through some of the Japanese tunnels. There was used equipment strewn everywhere. It was weird to see stuff left just as it was in 1945 1949.
View Quote
Some of the holdouts stayed in the tunnels until 1949.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
someone is off their meds!
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Very cool, OP.  Thank you for sharing.  More pics would be awesome if you could post them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Super cool picture. The old man used to tell stories about that place. He said he used the blade on his dozer as a bullet barrier while they cleared tank traps. Later he bulldozed japs, dead and alive into the surf. That shit haunted him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356991/IMG_4751_JPG-891611.JPG
Green and Red Beaches from Mt. Suribachi
My Great Uncle just wouldn't speak of it.  We know he was wounded there by some shrapnel.  He would say that he thought it was the morphine playing tricks on him when he saw the flag go up.  That would have been the real first flag, not the staged photo.  He was one of the finest men I ever knew but succumbed to heart disease fairly early in life.  I always suspected he just ate himself up from the inside out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, there it is. The dumbest thing I will read today.

From a Texan no less.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#48]
What a great post, thank you OP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, there it is. The dumbest thing I will read today.

From a Texan no less.
View Quote
Bullshit, dont hang that on us... Pretty sure hes a Okie that slithered across the red.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top