Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do I keep seeing people put the dollar sign after the quantity? Did I miss the memo?
View Quote

Ha ha i do thwt when i am writing on my phone and it's just because i think 140 dollars and then just shorten dollars. Then i realize how retarded it looks and put the $ in front.

I vote we update it to after the numbers. I mean you dont say dollars one forty...
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Why'd you spend that much at the bar? I could get absolutely ripped at the vfw for like 45$.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
17% interest loan?

go on...
View Quote

I had a Honda accord that I thought the transmission was fuked on, turns out the cat converters were clogged, but I didn't know that. This was last year when used cars were hard to find. I had always bought Hondas on Craigslist, to be a one and done payment, but I couldn't find a used car so I bought my first car from a dealership at 32 years old. I realized it was a stupid choice but at least I own it after paying it off with the 401k loan.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m the last person that would ever recommend Dave Ramsey, but you should probably check out his books, after you square away your life, come back and you can start thriving.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I drank that 140$ last night.
View Quote

How does that work (honestly curious)?  I don't go to bars so I don't know what things cost out in the world.  How many drinks does $140 yield?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Second job, we've all done it when the situation calls for it
View Quote

The second job is not the problem unless you are the sole bread winner in LA or something... 70k is plenty to live on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Invest in fidget spinners.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You must have a high taste in booze to spend 140 in a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Drinking your last $140 vs eating?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought drinks for a young man I met. That gent has 17 felonies, but was respectful and he kept me company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can get a 1.75 liter of not great,  but not bad whiskey for 20 bucks. That's step 1.
View Quote

That does help on the finance end of things but really makes shit worse in the end...
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Drive Uber after work and on weekends to tide you over?
View Quote

Some people Uber better when drunk.

OP I hope you can find a solution! I’ve never had to quit drinking so easy enough to say just quit, but sounds like it would really help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in a similar situation in terms of income and debt. About to shut down my side business as it is now costing me more than it makes. Main job is shaky.

I havent bought alcohol all year as I recall.  Every spare cent goes to making sure kids get fed and rent gets paid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I bought drinks for a young man I met. That gent has 17 felonies, but was respectful and he kept me company.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a Honda accord that I thought the transmission was fuked on, turns out the cat converters were clogged, but I didn't know that. This was last year when used cars were hard to find. I had always bought Hondas on Craigslist, to be a one and done payment, but I couldn't find a used car so I bought my first car from a dealership at 32 years old. I realized it was a stupid choice but at least I own it after paying it off with the 401k loan.
View Quote

17% on an auto loan? Wtf...
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Without giving too much info, what are your ''have to pay'' monthly bills with NO frills?

If you can drink $140 in one night, you probably have way more available money then you want to admit though you do somewhat admit you know you have a SPENDING issue.

Spending, not debt, got you where you are today. You need to deal with that to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

how does one, with 140 drink it all up in one night? i mean i know you can buy 140 dollar scotch, wine etc,  but you can get a handle of evan williams 100 proof for 40+ dollars and it will get the job done for two or 3 days or so...
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I won't be the guy that says quit drinking.
So instead, next time, go to the liquor store with that $140 and get a month's worth of likker.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, debt finally caught up with me. I make 70k a year, have a career, but don't have a dollar. I'm paying back 1200 a month to my 401k loan (last payment will be in march), and I have 12k in cc debt. I got paid Friday, and had 140$  left a few hours later after paying my bills. I drank that 140$ last night. Someone bought groceries for me, if it wasn't for that I'd have no food either. So, anybody have any weekend job opportunities in San Antonio? No, no weird shit, I'm not that desperate.
View Quote

What does your wife think you should do ?

Got any .45 ACP ?
Pre Ban Glock Mags ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

17% on an auto loan? Wtf...
View Quote

That's what I said.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quit going to the bars.  Quit going out.  That's a lot of money right there.   Stay home.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, debt finally caught up with me. I make 70k a year, have a career, but don't have a dollar. I'm paying back 1200 a month to my 401k loan (last payment will be in march), and I have 12k in cc debt. I got paid Friday, and had 140$  left a few hours later after paying my bills. I drank that 140$ last night. Someone bought groceries for me, if it wasn't for that I'd have no food either. So, anybody have any weekend job opportunities in San Antonio? No, no weird shit, I'm not that desperate.
View Quote

No personal flame at all, but spending priorities?  You can’t do that, man!
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Either unfuck your drinking habit or sell your butthole.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#25]
A handle of wild turkey 101 is like $50…… don’t drink at bars. Damn. Get shit faced at home.

But don’t listen to me. I’m drunk.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’m the last person that would ever recommend Dave Ramsey, but you should probably check out his books, after you square away your life, come back and you can start thriving.
View Quote

There are decisions that can lead to better wealth building than dave ramsey IF you are disciplined.

The reason ramsey is so popular and has helped so many people is that people are undisciplined emotional apes. Daves strategy works best for most people even the ones who think they are smarter.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn’t improve the story.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get some of that jailhouse lovin?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Sell everything and join the French Foreign Legion.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What does your wife think you should do ?

Got any .45 ACP ?
Pre Ban Glock Mags ?
View Quote

I had a girl, we broke up for various reasons, money was not one of them. We are still on good terms and she supports me. To answer your question, she thinks I need to focus on my 5 year career plan I told her about on our first date.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's what I said.
View Quote

Is your credit score in the double digits?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Am I suppose to feel bad for you? Stop being an idiot and get your shit together.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How does that work (honestly curious)?  I don't go to bars so I don't know what things cost out in the world.  How many drinks does $140 yield?
View Quote

Low end 28 or so average high end 5 or 6... Or just like a shot of louis
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You were scammed by a criminal you just met into using your last money to buy him drinks?

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quit going to the bars.  Quit going out.  That's a lot of money right there.   Stay home.

View Quote

Definitely staying home. Not because I'm broke, I was invited out earlier, and I wouldn't have to pay a cent with my buddy who is also in engineering. I just realize that I need something real and not hollow conversation that is typical between strangers meeting out on the town.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Stop drinking, get paid to donate plasma, get a better paying job or develop a side gig.

ETA: Eat rice purchased in bulk, sweet potatoes, potatoes, frozen veggies, frozen chicken purchased in bulk, ground turkey. You can do meal prep and save a ton of money. Start lifting weights and jogging (think about how fit many prisoners are). Cancel Netflix and Amazon Prime. You can learn math, chemistry, biology, stats, etc on Khan Academy for free. Harvard and MIT have online courses for free. Fill out a FASA and apply for grants and school loans. You can study HVAC, welding or aircraft maintenance if you are a manual skills kinda guy. If you are into helping people and your semi academic nursing pays well. Take a resume writing and interview skills course. Sharpen your mind and body.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Fucking this.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I drank that 140$ last night. .
View Quote

How old are you?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That doesn’t improve the story.
View Quote

I pride my self in being able to hold a conversation with anybody.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is your credit score in the double digits?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy groceries instead of booze. Sell off the wants and keep the needs. I'm not ashamed to say I've had to do it. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A handle of wild turkey 101 is like $50…… don’t drink at bars. Damn. Get shit faced at home.

But don’t listen to me. I’m drunk.
View Quote

Fucking high falutin mofos i was getting handles for like 15 dollars. You dont need to spend 50
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Am I suppose to feel bad for you? Stop being an idiot and get your shit together.
View Quote

I feel sorry for you, since you're from Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You spent $140 on alcohol and someone else had to buy you groceries? It sounds like your problem is alcohol.

Get some help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#46]
1. Stop drinking.
2.  Literally learn how to subsist on rice and beans until March.
3.  Get a second job. Deliver pizzas. Or work retail for the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why in the hell did you agree to a 17% interest rate car note?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I pride my self in being able to hold a conversation with anybody.
View Quote

A story like reads like someone was charismatic/manipulative enough to get you to support their drinking habit. Normally not really that big of a deal or uncommon. It becomes a scam/manipulative when you run out of money doing it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You were scammed by a criminal you just met into using your last money to buy him drinks?

That's awesome.
View Quote

Na, he was cool.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
With kid medical bills and a huge drop in work at my shop, my wife and I are looking at working 4 engineering jobs between us to try to get way ahead of the coming storm.

I have zero faith in any current political solutions.
View Quote

@MaverickH1

Can't help with the job but understand kid med bills.

Logout and login, now you can shitpost with an avatar.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top