[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2020ers don’t get to play that game.
View Quote

I know, but it had to be said.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
seems to me you need to set a budget and stick with it, drinking up the last of your money is a poor choice you can easily fix by stopping drinking.   we all have vices but you need to take control of your life and your choices.

until you do this there is no fixing your issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I bought drinks for a young man I met. That gent has 17 felonies, but was respectful and he kept me company.
View Quote

Did he at least put out?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you for catching that. I am a "designer", since I have an associate degree and not a bachelors degree. Buddy makes way more than me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineer pulling only $70k ? Ah shit I have no room to talk...

Thank you for catching that. I am a "designer", since I have an associate degree and not a bachelors degree. Buddy makes way more than me.

There it is. I don't give a shit about your situation, but for the love of God please stop calling yourself an engineer. You aren't one and it's just annoying hearing designers claim the title "engineer". This is coming from an engineer with a Bachelor's and 2 Master's degrees in engineering.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2020ers don’t get to play that game.

Yes, a sophomoric quip that paints you as even more of a dumbass was your only real option.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But yes, I'm an alcoholic.
View Quote

None of your shit will get better until you get that back under control. I’m sure you know that already.

What you do right now is gonna control which way your life goes.

Make it go a good way.

My dad was similar to you. Hell of a work ethic, thrived in his field and was truly someone hundreds of people looked up to. His private life was a fucking disaster and he couldn’t get his alcoholism under control.

He offed him self 3 days before Christmas a little less than 2 years ago. It ripped my family apart, probably permanently.

Don’t be like my dad, get your fucking shit together.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that man.  Hang in there.

Not gonna shit on you by pointing out the obvious.

Not sure how to raise a few bucks quickly other than selling something.  College kids around here sometimes donate plasma or do medical studies.  Even 20 years ago when I was in college the studies paid like $2800 for two weekends.  Basically you take a pill Friday night or Saturday morning.  They draw your blood many times over the weekend and you are out Monday morning.  One weekend is the real pill, the other weekend is either a generic version or placebo.  You don't know which. That wouldn't help you out THIS weekend though and I don't know what's available in your area.

It sounds like you need to seriously re-evaluate your life.  It will take help.  You won't be able to do it on your own.  I'm not sure who can help you, but you need to find that person.  Listening to a podcast or reading a book won't do it.  You need to open up to someone that will hold you accountable.  It's good that you opened up here.  We're strangers but it's better than nothing. Admitting and owning up to it are the first steps.
View Quote

Thank you. I think you're right on the not being able to do it alone part.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:47:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Knock it off with the $140 bar tabs. You’re spending money you don’t have, which you already know. Get a 12 month zero interest balance transfer, pay $1000/month to that bill, stay home, eat Ramen. It sucks, but it can be done. I’d rather eat shit than take handouts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There it is. I don't give a shit about your situation, but for the love of God please stop calling yourself an engineer. You aren't one and it's just annoying hearing designers claim the title "engineer". This is coming from an engineer with a Bachelor's and 2 Master's degrees in engineering.
View Quote

I am an engineer.

@vand6167

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

None of your shit will get better until you get that back under control. I’m sure you know that already.

What you do right now is gonna control which way your life goes.

Make it go a good way.

My dad was similar to you. Hell of a work ethic, thrived in his field and was truly someone hundreds of people looked up to. His private life was a fucking disaster and he couldn’t get his alcoholism under control.

He offed him self 3 days before Christmas a little less than 2 years ago. It ripped my family apart, probably permanently.

Don’t be like my dad, get your fucking shit together.
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and yours find some peace of mind. Your post is making me tear up a bit. I'll try man.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with drinking just buy a bottle . Giving it to a bar when you're short on cash is just stupid .

Also not I'm not going to read  7 pages
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am an engineer.

@vand6167

View Quote

What school? Texas Tech? Texas A&M?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and yours find some peace of mind. Your post is making me tear up a bit. I'll try man.
View Quote

Reach out to me or anyone if you need help or just someone to talk to. Plenty of folks would be willing. Really wish I knew how to help with the drinking stuff, but I know there are some people here that have kicked that shit and could give good advice.

You have the tools you need to thrive, good job,  good leadership in your life. Hope you can figure out how to make that work for you. Life is pretty awesome if you just sit back and take the good with the bad and strive to be the best man you can be.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with drinking just buy a bottle . Giving it to a bar when you're short on cash is just stupid .

Also not I'm not going to read  7 pages
View Quote

That's some solid advice to be giving to an alcoholic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's what I said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

17% on an auto loan? Wtf...

That's what I said.

WTF
My last loan for a new car was .9%…
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#18]
At least op has a 401k to borrow from.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sir, what does being an engineer have to due with diagnosing a transmission? I'm a civil engineer, not a mechanic. Mechanical engineers, for the most part, are not mechanics either. And if you think 640 is shit credit, you don't know where most people are at as far as credit scores go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most drunks do. Please get help for your drinking. Unless you’re a great troll, you sound like a typical alcoholic.

Drinking when you know it’s having deleterious effects on your life and health.

Impulsive spending

Allowing strangers to dupe you and you believing it was your idea and some kind of win because you pride yourself on being able to talk to anyone

Terrible financial decision making

Getting yourself into situations where you think your transmission is going out but it’s actually the exhaust system. (You’re an engineer and you couldn’t differentiate between the two?). Then being forced to take a shit loan for an entirely different car in order to “fix” the problem.

Terrible credit

I could go on, but perhaps you should be the one taking stock of your life and decisions.

I have experience with substance abuse and I know others who do as well. Everything you’re saying sounds like the typical things that are said by addicts in the meetings we’ve all been in.

I’d be willing to bet that you drove home drunk or rode with someone who was impaired. I hope I’m wrong though.

Sir, what does being an engineer have to due with diagnosing a transmission? I'm a civil engineer, not a mechanic. Mechanical engineers, for the most part, are not mechanics either. And if you think 640 is shit credit, you don't know where most people are at as far as credit scores go.

Are you a veteran?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At least op has a 401k to borrow from.
View Quote

And a friend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are you a veteran?
View Quote

No. I spent time in a disciplinary boot camp when I was in middle school. To this day I catch myself saying "Yeah, yes sir". I often correct my self that way because well saying yeah was a no no. Walking was too apparently.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineer pulling only $70k ? Ah shit I have no room to talk...

Have you thought about going back to school?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I love school. I thrive in that environment. My company actually pays for a certain amount also. The thing is I know once I start, I'll finish. That is a huge commitment, not to mention an expensive one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, debt finally caught up with me. I make 70k a year, have a career, but don't have a dollar. I'm paying back 1200 a month to my 401k loan (last payment will be in march), and I have 12k in cc debt. I got paid Friday, and had 140$  left a few hours later after paying my bills. I drank that 140$ last night. Someone bought groceries for me, if it wasn't for that I'd have no food either. So, anybody have any weekend job opportunities in San Antonio? No, no weird shit, I'm not that desperate.
View Quote

uh.

I'm the LAST person who should probably tell people anything about spending money on boozes but my dude. Can't do shit like that. It sounds like you are in a depressing as hell situation but can't drink the little bit of money away you have.

The next two weeks are going to be a struggle for me, but that means eating cheaply and sitting the fuck at home. Hell if you *Have* to drink, take 10-15 bucks of that 140 and spend it on cheap shit vodka or something.

Hoping and praying for the best for you OP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:07:57 AM EDT
[#25]

You're a eunuch
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:09:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

uh.

I'm the LAST person who should probably tell people anything about spending money on boozes but my dude. Can't do shit like that. It sounds like you are in a depressing as hell situation but can't drink the little bit of money away you have.

The next two weeks are going to be a struggle for me, but that means eating cheaply and sitting the fuck at home. Hell if you *Have* to drink, take 10-15 bucks of that 140 and spend it on cheap shit vodka or something.

Hoping and praying for the best for you OP.
View Quote

Thanks man. And yes, I'm sitting at home now. It's not bad at all. My poor dog had been spending too much time alone. I had been running around town for months, looking for something I know can only come from me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Time to sell assets and buy more alcohol
View Quote

It's the one investment you can make with guaranteed 0% chance of a favorable outcome!

...Christ on a cracker.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks man. And yes, I'm sitting at home now. It's not bad at all. My poor dog had been spending too much time alone. I had been running around town for months, looking for something I know can only come from me.
View Quote

absolutely

I'll be honest with you, I was in a similar situation. Posted in team about it sort of. Was out of work, money was tight and I had a drinking problem on top of it. Got lucky and got a job and it isn't great and doesn't pay a lot but it kept my ass from drinking every night because I had to get the fuck up and go to work (okay, technically 4-5 nights a week but still).
but the other thing I did is saved up, little by little, got a professional resume done and applied for anyfuckingthing that i thought i was remotely qualified for. Turned over any rock. Anything I could find. I spent quite a bit of my time off, looking for a job.

And Friday I got a job offer for a job that is a stupid amount more money than I make now (think 3x), is a dream job with me dream company and hopefully will be starting this month(unfortunately I had to take a hardship withdraw from school this semester so I'm really hoping that doesn't butt fuck me somehow). More importantly I fucked my back up and was probably about to have to leave my current job anyways.
and I'm not trying to brag but im telling you to cut back on the drinking, if you can't pay to get a resume done find someone who will look over it for free. Someone at work. A friend. something. Then get your ass out there and trying to find anything and everything you can. If I can do it, I promise you, you can do it.

And, as much as I am not a big "muh religion" type. If you are a religious person in any way, pray. Whatever/whoever your God is, pray to them. I don't go to church, I cus like a sailor and I still need to do ALOT of work on myself. But I asked for help.

And it might all go to shit tomorrow but if it does then I'm going to get right back into looking for jobs, taking any interview I can get and just keep grinding. It sounds like you have a good work ethic so take that drive and determination and bring it home. I have total faith that if you can get your mind right, you can get past this shit, be a stronger and smarter man for it and keep making yourself better.

I have no idea if what you do transfers to the Aviation industry at all, but the entire industry is looking for people and looking for people bad. People in my current jobs are getting 40-50K signing bonuses with the right stuff. Just an idea. SAT has a big Boeing facility im pretty sure, and had a big MRO there if I remember right. Thinking ST aerospace but can't remember.

Again hoping for the best OP. Like I said, you may not be a religious person but ill make sure I ask God to give you some help before I go to bed in a few.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

absolutely

I'll be honest with you, I was in a similar situation. Posted in team about it sort of. Was out of work, money was tight and I had a drinking problem on top of it. Got lucky and got a job and it isn't great and doesn't pay a lot but it kept my ass from drinking every night because I had to get the fuck up and go to work (okay, technically 4-5 nights a week but still).
but the other thing I did is saved up, little by little, got a professional resume done and applied for anyfuckingthing that i thought i was remotely qualified for. Turned over any rock. Anything I could find. I spent quite a bit of my time off, looking for a job.

And Friday I got a job offer for a job that is a stupid amount more money than I make now (think 3x), is a dream job with me dream company and hopefully will be starting this month(unfortunately I had to take a hardship withdraw from school this semester so I'm really hoping that doesn't butt fuck me somehow). More importantly I fucked my back up and was probably about to have to leave my current job anyways.
and I'm not trying to brag but im telling you to cut back on the drinking, if you can't pay to get a resume done find someone who will look over it for free. Someone at work. A friend. something. Then get your ass out there and trying to find anything and everything you can. If I can do it, I promise you, you can do it.

And, as much as I am not a big "muh religion" type. If you are a religious person in any way, pray. Whatever/whoever your God is, pray to them. I don't go to church, I cus like a sailor and I still need to do ALOT of work on myself. But I asked for help.

And it might all go to shit tomorrow but if it does then I'm going to get right back into looking for jobs, taking any interview I can get and just keep grinding. It sounds like you have a good work ethic so take that drive and determination and bring it home. I have total faith that if you can get your mind right, you can get past this shit, be a stronger and smarter man for it and keep making yourself better.

I have no idea if what you do transfers to the Aviation industry at all, but the entire industry is looking for people and looking for people bad. People in my current jobs are getting 40-50K signing bonuses with the right stuff. Just an idea. SAT has a big Boeing facility im pretty sure, and had a big MRO there if I remember right. Thinking ST aerospace but can't remember.

Again hoping for the best OP. Like I said, you may not be a religious person but ill make sure I ask God to give you some help before I go to bed in a few.
View Quote

Congrats on that job offer man. And thanks again, lm listening.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Congrats on that job offer man. And thanks again, lm listening.
View Quote

thank you sir.

Really hope to see a post like that from you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I think the US Navy raised the age limit to 42 and now taking in the lowest ASVAB scorers. They provide 3 meals daily and housing too. Any recruiting office near ya lol?

OP I'm your age and if i have 140 left before my next pay day I wouldn't spend it on alcohol
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thank you. I think you're right on the not being able to do it alone part.
View Quote
@TallLankey

PM me.  I was a total fucking mess with money.  No matter what I made, I was broke.  No matter how many hours I worked...fucking broke.

I finally was lucky enough to have the right recipe in my life to fix it.
It's NOT fucking easy.  It's also TOTALLY fucking worth the effort.

The best part?  It changes YOU.  Who you are.  How you look at yourself.  How you feel inside.  It removed depression for me; which has ALWAYS been a part of my life.

I'll help you; if you really want it.  And we'll do it private.  I'll give you my cell.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think the US Navy raised the age limit to 42 and now taking in the lowest ASVAB scorers. They provide 3 meals daily and housing too. Any recruiting office near ya lol?

OP I'm your age and if i have 140 left before my next pay day I wouldn't spend it on alcohol
View Quote

I scored a 75 on the asvab a few years ago. I'll try again, I needed a million waivers and the recruiter just wasn't interested in it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes, I love school. I thrive in that environment. My company actually pays for a certain amount also. The thing is I know once I start, I'll finish. That is a huge commitment, not to mention an expensive one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When are you going to start?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks man. That avatar though lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope you get the help you need OP, and find a second job. Keep your head up. I've been there before. It sucks, but you can do it.

Thanks man. That avatar though lol.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, debt finally caught up with me. I make 70k a year, have a career, but don't have a dollar. I'm paying back 1200 a month to my 401k loan (last payment will be in march), and I have 12k in cc debt. I got paid Friday, and had 140$  left a few hours later after paying my bills. I drank that 140$ last night. Someone bought groceries for me, if it wasn't for that I'd have no food either. So, anybody have any weekend job opportunities in San Antonio? No, no weird shit, I'm not that desperate.
View Quote
This may well be a key to your problems
AA
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You borrow your own money and pay yourself interest.
View Quote
perfect answer
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Did we ever figure out if Op is trolling, or authentic?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Let me know when you're desperate enough for weird shit. It won't hurt.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did we ever figure out if Op is trolling, or authentic?
View Quote

Eunuch either way really.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Not really wanting to beat the OP up even more, but damn, he puts so much out there!  Either that or he is doing an excellent job of trolling...

Engineer?  Not really, not with only an AA.  Maybe an Engineering Technician...  you won’t be passing a P.E. exam with an AA either.  

ASVAB of 75?  Kind of low for most engineering field folks I expect.

Didn’t read the APR on a vehicle purchase?  Does not sound like any engineers I ever knew!

Now as to spending your last dollar buying alcohol for a multiple convicted felon, at a bar, after falling off the wagon yourself?  How fucking ridiculous can you get?  

And you haven’t even said who it was that bought your groceries....

You need a fucking wake up call.  Your debt is not the problem, it is a symptom of shitty decision making and poor priorities.  

Unless that felon was your dad or brother, it was stupid as hell for someone in your situation.  

Taking up drinking again, knowing you are an alcoholic, is dumb, but to do it over debt?   Come on.  Debt is fixable, a lot easier than alcoholism.

I have seen guys like you when I was doing engineering- they were the welders/fabricators usually.  Machinists were smarter.  Engineers were smarter.  

I saw a lot of people like you when I was doing LE- lots of people with bad decision making skills, we talked to them every day.  Same as you, most of them knew what they needed to do to fix their lives, but they didn’t do it.  

If all the above feels like a slap to the face, well it is meant to be.  Wake the hell up.  Nobody can help you until you realize that you have to fix yourself.  The sooner you realize it, the sooner life will improve.  

I am assuming you wanted advice, versus just advertising to the board how bad your decision making skills are, so hopefully you follow some of what has been given by folks here.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Damn OP, my wife bought her previous car at 13.99% interest back when her credit's dad went to the store for 305's and never came back, and I had to literally fuck the stupid out of her for 3 years to get her to see it was a bad idea.

I'm not doing it, but sounds like you better pepper your angus in case life decides to fuck the stupid out of you, too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not really wanting to beat the OP up even more, but damn, he puts so much out there!  Either that or he is doing an excellent job of trolling...

Engineer?  Not really, not with only an AA.  Maybe an Engineering Technician...  you won’t be passing a P.E. exam with an AA either.  

ASVAB of 75?  Kind of low for most engineering field folks I expect.

Didn’t read the APR on a vehicle purchase?  Does not sound like any engineers I ever knew!

Now as to spending your last dollar buying alcohol for a multiple convicted felon, at a bar, after falling off the wagon yourself?  How fucking ridiculous can you get?  

And you haven’t even said who it was that bought your groceries....

You need a fucking wake up call.  Your debt is not the problem, it is a symptom of shitty decision making and poor priorities.  

Unless that felon was your dad or brother, it was stupid as hell for someone in your situation.  

Taking up drinking again, knowing you are an alcoholic, is dumb, but to do it over debt?   Come on.  Debt is fixable, a lot easier than alcoholism.

I have seen guys like you when I was doing engineering- they were the welders/fabricators usually.  Machinists were smarter.  Engineers were smarter.  

I saw a lot of people like you when I was doing LE- lots of people with bad decision making skills, we talked to them every day.  Same as you, most of them knew what they needed to do to fix their lives, but they didn’t do it.  

If all the above feels like a slap to the face, well it is meant to be.  Wake the hell up.  Nobody can help you until you realize that you have to fix yourself.  The sooner you realize it, the sooner life will improve.  

I am assuming you wanted advice, versus just advertising to the board how bad your decision making skills are, so hopefully you follow some of what has been given by folks here.  
View Quote

This is why it feels like trolling.   Just too many chestnuts in there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

This, why did you drink away your last $140?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#46]
First thing is reduce your tax burden, see if you can add more exemptions to your pretax earnings.

Sell stuff and Uber- I’ve met people who make decent Money opening up accounts for cash bonuses.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Lots of leaves to be raked this time of year - start knocking on doors…
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Factotum-I’m broke

Is this you, OP?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This, why did you drink away your last $140?
View Quote

He would have been better off buying $140 in scratch off lottery tickets.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm sitting at home, watching a pearl harbor documentary on Netflix. Not drinking. I think there is a misconception that I drank ALL my money to get me into this situation, not so. It's the debt.
View Quote

The debt is not the problem OP, it is the result or consequence.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top