BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really wanting to beat the OP up even more, but damn, he puts so much out there!  Either that or he is doing an excellent job of trolling...

Engineer?  Not really, not with only an AA.  Maybe an Engineering Technician...  you won’t be passing a P.E. exam with an AA either.  

ASVAB of 75?  Kind of low for most engineering field folks I expect.

Didn’t read the APR on a vehicle purchase?  Does not sound like any engineers I ever knew!

Now as to spending your last dollar buying alcohol for a multiple convicted felon, at a bar, after falling off the wagon yourself?  How fucking ridiculous can you get?  

And you haven’t even said who it was that bought your groceries....

You need a fucking wake up call.  Your debt is not the problem, it is a symptom of shitty decision making and poor priorities.  

Unless that felon was your dad or brother, it was stupid as hell for someone in your situation.  

Taking up drinking again, knowing you are an alcoholic, is dumb, but to do it over debt?   Come on.  Debt is fixable, a lot easier than alcoholism.

I have seen guys like you when I was doing engineering- they were the welders/fabricators usually.  Machinists were smarter.  Engineers were smarter.  

I saw a lot of people like you when I was doing LE- lots of people with bad decision making skills, we talked to them every day.  Same as you, most of them knew what they needed to do to fix their lives, but they didn’t do it.  

If all the above feels like a slap to the face, well it is meant to be.  Wake the hell up.  Nobody can help you until you realize that you have to fix yourself.  The sooner you realize it, the sooner life will improve.  

I am assuming you wanted advice, versus just advertising to the board how bad your decision making skills are, so hopefully you follow some of what has been given by folks here.  
View Quote

Excellent post.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You spent $140 on alcohol and someone else had to buy you groceries? It sounds like your problem is alcohol.

Get some help.
View Quote
No it sounds like stupidity and zero self control are the issues. Just say no mate, then you can buy food.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]
no money for food.

On the bright side, you won't have much chance of being fat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Drive Uber after work and on weekends to tide you over?
View Quote

This
A few friends of mine that are money stupid do Lift.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Rated Troll. Because, if Op isn't trolling he's got more issues than anyone here can help him with.

Personally OP, I recommend that you change your pronouns and become a tranny. That way guys will buy you dinner and drinks and you can save on food and alcohol.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rated Troll. Because, if Op isn't trolling he's got more issues than anyone here can help him with.

Personally OP, I recommend that you change your pronouns and become a tranny. That way guys will buy you dinner and drinks and you can save on food and alcohol.
View Quote

I see the Troll label a lot here, but why troll with such a crappy story?  I would think of something better, but I am not a troll, it is a waste of brain cells
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
OP so my advice.

Get back on the wagon.  Go to a meeting, find a sponsor, whatever will work for you.  

If you take one more sip of alcohol you should no joke check yourself into rehab.  You are depressed and I don't know what your previous bottom was but if you aren't already at a new one....I suspect you'll find a new one soon.

In regards to the debt.  Find a bankruptcy lawyer or find out a well structured plan to get out of debt.

Your current job should be finding a job.  To take responsibility and man up.

One last thing regarding depression is to find a.professional to talk to about it.  I can say that I was extremely against medications but after fucking up my life several times over drinking to cope with major depression and anxiety....going on an antidepressant has been a game changer.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see the Troll label a lot here, but why troll with such a crappy story?  I would think of something better, but I am not a troll, it is a waste of brain cells
View Quote

Because it got to 8 pages with a decent amount of personal attacks and allowed him to engage with more details to make the story worse
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You spent $140 on alcohol and someone else had to buy you groceries? It sounds like your problem is alcohol.

Get some help.
View Quote

Should have been the first post.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

17% on an auto loan? Wtf...
View Quote

Sounds like a PFC straight out of basic training.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get some help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have a credit card to squeak by on until pay day?
View Quote

Where do you think the 17% loan came from?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

This.

Yard sale, Ebay, local auction house, pawn shop.

Get rid of the crap you really don't need.  

I know this is the worst place to post this but if you have too, get down to one good handgun and sell the rest until you get your life back in order.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#15]
12k in cc debt? Time to sell your guns brother. You cant afford them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I pride my self in being able to hold a conversation with anybody.
View Quote

And this excuses spending your last dollars on some convict how?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And this excuses spending your last dollars on some convict how?
View Quote

It's an alcoholics way of justifying their behavior.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can get a 1.75 liter of not great,  but not bad whiskey for 20 bucks. That's step 1.
View Quote

This is solid advice.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Drive Uber after work and on weekends to tide you over?
View Quote

Drunk driving?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#20]
70k/year isn't much nowadays. It's like 40k/year just a few years ago.
Adopt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not really wanting to beat the OP up even more, but damn, he puts so much out there!  Either that or he is doing an excellent job of trolling...

Engineer?  Not really, not with only an AA.  Maybe an Engineering Technician...  you won’t be passing a P.E. exam with an AA either.  

ASVAB of 75?  Kind of low for most engineering field folks I expect.

Didn’t read the APR on a vehicle purchase?  Does not sound like any engineers I ever knew!

Now as to spending your last dollar buying alcohol for a multiple convicted felon, at a bar, after falling off the wagon yourself?  How fucking ridiculous can you get?  

And you haven’t even said who it was that bought your groceries....

You need a fucking wake up call.  Your debt is not the problem, it is a symptom of shitty decision making and poor priorities.  

Unless that felon was your dad or brother, it was stupid as hell for someone in your situation.  

Taking up drinking again, knowing you are an alcoholic, is dumb, but to do it over debt?   Come on.  Debt is fixable, a lot easier than alcoholism.

I have seen guys like you when I was doing engineering- they were the welders/fabricators usually.  Machinists were smarter.  Engineers were smarter.  

I saw a lot of people like you when I was doing LE- lots of people with bad decision making skills, we talked to them every day.  Same as you, most of them knew what they needed to do to fix their lives, but they didn’t do it.  

If all the above feels like a slap to the face, well it is meant to be.  Wake the hell up.  Nobody can help you until you realize that you have to fix yourself.  The sooner you realize it, the sooner life will improve.  

I am assuming you wanted advice, versus just advertising to the board how bad your decision making skills are, so hopefully you follow some of what has been given by folks here.  
View Quote

To answer one of your comments:

All civil engineering is ON THE JOB TRAINING. Most people who spent time and money in school won't like that, but it's true. The degree is just to get in the door, and my AA degree was enough to get in that door.

@vand6167
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All civil engineering is ON THE JOB TRAINING. Most people who spent time and money in school won't like that, but it's true. The degree is just to get in the door, and my AA degree was enough to get in that door.
View Quote

I went through the same path in the civil engineering field in the beginning of my development career.  I can tell you if you continue to learn and grow, you will increase your salary without any issues. Civils are hiring like crazy in the Houston market.  I was head of business development in the market before moving to the development side.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@vand6167
View Quote

Do you have a stamp?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I went through the same path in the civil engineering field in the beginning of my development career.  I can tell you if you continue to learn and grow, you will increase your salary without any issues. Civils are hiring like crazy in the Houston market.  I was head of business development in the market before moving to the development side.
View Quote

Thanks man, that's the plan. I have some design training coming up this month.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You were scammed by a criminal you just met into using your last money to buy him drinks?

That's awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought drinks for a young man I met. That gent has 17 felonies, but was respectful and he kept me company.

You were scammed by a criminal you just met into using your last money to buy him drinks?

That's awesome.
Yeah no shit. Rated 'troll'.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought drinks for a young man I met. That gent has 17 felonies, but was respectful and he kept me company.

That's awesome.

So many assumptions. I went to 3 bars that night. Met him at the last bar. Hiw much money did I have by the time I hit the 3rd bar? Some people focus on the minutiae and miss the bigger picture.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you completed an osha training course in the last year?

Clean record?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So many assumptions. I went to 3 bars that night. Met him at the last bar. Hiw much money did I have by the time I hit the 3rd bar? Some people focus on the minutiae and miss the bigger picture.
View Quote

Oh, I think we have the "bigger picture" alright.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

If you say you spent your food money buying drinks for some random dude you're not even going to fuck (presumably), then I say you're trolling
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#30]
The drugs aren't helping your finances or your mindset.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Oh, I think we have the "bigger picture" alright.

View Quote

So do I. Knowledge is power, application is key. I already know what I need to do, why I don't is the question.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks man, that's the plan. I have some design training coming up this month.
View Quote

Start taking any and all training home. This will keep you out of trouble. I had to do this. Immediately impacted my raises and promotions.

If you have a boss who is a mentor, they can help you move to the next level.  Start working learning mass grading and detailed grading , grade by hand if a computer is not available with civil 3d. Start reading geotech reports, phase I and contracts.  Learn detention and storm design. Ask to take on more responsibilities and don't be scared to ask for help.  

If you made it passed all the day to day engineering, ask your PM to take on some of his tasks. It will allow him to deal with corporate BS that is impossible to do. This is coming from 20 plus years of civil engineering and development. Once you have a firm grasp on all aspects of the project, get over to the development side where the real money is.

If you have any questions reach out to me. I hire civils and architects and the quality of construction plans are  absolutely embarrassing from everyone today.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#33]
You’ve obviously got internet access.

Start watching Dave Ramsey videos on YouTube.

Your lifestyle and financial decisions are the problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Instead of posting on GD about his budgeting retardation, the OP needs to either get a better job or get a second job.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#35]
OP find a AA program locally, go to the meetings stop drinking and make better choices. you can turn things around there are people out there with much more cc debt and more loans than you.

the usa is a country founded on debt and poor choices, you are not the only one by a longshot. you just need to stop making the poor choices and dig yourself out, should be pretty easy if you set your mind to it and make a effort.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

On what planet do these further details paint you in a better light lol. Guy is getting food hands outs while on a bar crawl.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#37]
You can’t easily exercise your way to weight loss, and you can’t easily earn your way out of spending problems. Don’t get me wrong, taking on a second job sounds necessary for you and it’s good you want to do it. Just don’t let it become justification for more spending because you “deserve” it, and don’t let it interfere with developing your primary career.

If you’re going to drink, drink inexpensive stuff at home. That would have saved you at least $100.

Consider how you’re going to pay the 12k of CC debt. If it’s not on a low interest card now, you might need to take out another 401k loan in March, if that’s the only source of lower interest money.

Do you have a household budget? If not, make one. Plan the work and work the plan.

Don’t rack up holiday debt.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Start taking any and all training home. This will keep you out of trouble. I had to do this. Immediately impacted my raises and promotions.

If you have a boss who is a mentor, they can help you move to the next level.  Start working learning mass grading and detailed grading , grade by hand if a computer is not available with civil 3d. Start reading geotech reports, phase I and contracts.  Learn detention and storm design. Ask to take on more responsibilities and don't be scared to ask for help.  

If you made it passed all the day to day engineering, ask your PM to take on some of his tasks. It will allow him to deal with corporate BS that is impossible to do. This is coming from 20 plus years of civil engineering and development. Once you have a firm grasp on all aspects of the project, get over to the development side where the real money is.

If you have any questions reach out to me. I hire civils and architects and the quality of construction plans are  absolutely embarrassing from everyone today.
View Quote

Thank you. That is close to what I'm doing now. I'm a manager on one of the largest projects we currently have, and I got that by previously taking on more responsibilities and voicing my desire to be in a leadership position. The only advice I have not taken from my boss is to learn at home, but I certainly have the time now. I had the time before but did not want to. It's easier to be mindlessly entertained than to sacrifice and work hard.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How does a 401k loan work?
View Quote

they loan you ur money with penalties from your own money.... banksters aren't hated for a reason
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You can’t easily exercise your way to weight loss, and you can’t easily earn your way out of spending problems. Don’t get me wrong, taking on a second job sounds necessary for you and it’s good you want to do it. Just don’t let it become justification for more spending because you “deserve” it, and don’t let it interfere with developing your primary career.

If you’re going to drink, drink inexpensive stuff at home. That would have saved you at least $100.

Consider how you’re going to pay the 12k of CC debt. If it’s not on a low interest card now, you might need to take out another 401k loan in March, if that’s the only source of lower interest money.

Do you have a household budget? If not, make one. Plan the work and work the plan.

Don’t rack up holiday debt.

Good luck.
View Quote

I had not thought about taking out another loan in March from my 401k to pay off my cc. Obviously it's not the best solution but at least it's an option. I felt a little weight come off my chest.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, debt finally caught up with me. I make 70k a year, have a career, but don't have a dollar. I'm paying back 1200 a month to my 401k loan (last payment will be in march), and I have 12k in cc debt. I got paid Friday, and had 140$  left a few hours later after paying my bills. I drank that 140$ last night. Someone bought groceries for me, if it wasn't for that I'd have no food either. So, anybody have any weekend job opportunities in San Antonio? No, no weird shit, I'm not that desperate.
View Quote

I feel ya man....welcome to being a poor
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

they loan you ur money with penalties from your own money.... banksters aren't hated for a reason
View Quote

False. It's low interest, that I pay back to myself. If I default on the loan, all I have to do is pay taxes on the outstanding amount. Your 401k may be different.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Instead of posting on GD about his budgeting retardation, the OP needs to either get a better job or get a second job.
View Quote

The extra job is just a poorly contrived bandaid.

All the folks saying uber lyft must not have really looked at their compensation. They are more or less scamming people in to paying for their fleet. Probably lucky to net minimum wage in the end.

Extra job may be a good idea but spending needs to get fixed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three bars that night.   You have gotten great advice just on this page.   You need to make changes.  Perhaps professional help (Medical).

The good thing is that very soon you can be on the path to a good life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So do I. Knowledge is power, application is key. I already know what I need to do, why I don't is the question.
View Quote

Alcohol!! It's always the alcohol! You're not at the bottom.... yet. Hopefully hitting bottom doesn't kill you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You don't have a clue about just what makes up civil engineering.

You're a technician at most, and that is the only work you'll be able to perform.  Work to be the best technician in the narrow scope of work you perform, but don't claim you're an engineer.  If you're good enough the engineers might quiz you for advice related to your work.  I'll advise you to stay between the ditches, too, freelancing instead of following the processes handed down by engineers causes is a path to failure.

View Quote

I am an engineer.

@AeroE
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stop drinking man
View Quote

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top