User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As do I.
A ton of shit I don't want; otherwise just like Windows 7, except we have hidden everything so it takes 8 levels of menus for what was once one click.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I HATE IT.
As do I.
A ton of shit I don't want; otherwise just like Windows 7, except we have hidden everything so it takes 8 levels of menus for what was once one click.

have you learned to right click the start button yet?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As do I.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE IT.
As do I.

lol wut? Win 10 (and even 8.1) is faster to navigate than 7, for me
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE IT.
As do I.

Not I, to get to the control panel is like 4 menus down, rather than right there when you click on start.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
By Law, it's free to you because you did not request it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not I, to get to the control panel is like 4 menus down, rather than right there when you click on start.

View Quote

There's a link to the control panel when you right-click start.

Or

Click start, type "con" and click the control panel link.

ETA:

Or

Click the Action Center icon in the system tray and hit the All Settings button.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I HATE IT.
As do I.

Click start, type cont

Other ways
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
They are giving it away for free.

I bet in a year or two thet will start selling updates.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a serious note, that's not far off the mark. Not in the micro-transaction sense, but more akin to a maintenance subscription. They're already doing something similar with Office 365. End result is the cost differential between buying the software up front versus prorating the cost over the expected service life is negligible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like win 10. The latest update made the start menu much more like win 7. Right click on the start menu to get the classic menu.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I upgraded mine a few weeks back.

Everythiing seems to work fine except Google Chrome.  Google Chrome is a constant stream of virus warning, adware warning, malicious site warnings, outgoing data warnings (which I'd never seen before) and it switches screens/pages on me without warning or control constantly.  If I'm here (arfcom) for example, and I click on a thread to start in a new tab, it does it.  Then, when I click on the tab, it creates a second tab, turns the original tab into an ad, and gives me another spyware/adware/virus warning.  When I close out the new ad and click on the tab with the thread, it'll repeat the steps of creating a new tab for the thread and starting up an ad on the original tab.

I've got Norton anti virus, I've got Malwarebytes, nothing fixes it.  Norton keeps suggesting I run their "cleaner" to get rid of any unwanted software and that does nothing but waste time.

I'm slowly switching some of my favorites over to firefox (Camaro and other car forums) and some other stuff to windows explorer.

Windows 10 has killed Google Chrome on my laptop.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
8 must have hurt their credibility big time.

Fuck off Windows 10, 7 works fine for me.
View Quote

It did.
I have read that most that were involved with MS 8's creation were fired.

I like W7 and intend to keep it.
Every time the prompt comes up for 10 I just delete it.
I would be pissed to no end if MS just decided I must have it and placed it on my computer with me be an unwilling party.

I have used 10 at my g/f computer and did not care for it.
I only use the computer for web surfing.
No games or programs or work.
Just for fun so I don't care to learn a new program.
It's just that simple.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This... Plug and Play actually works (as long as you find the SE version)!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
people's been bitching about Windows since Windows 1.0

That filthy POS. My mouse would only work for about 10 minutes before it locked up, shortly followed by the computer. I uninstalled it and went back to DOS until Win95.

Have you updated to windows '98 yet?  Its the bomb!

This... Plug and Play actually works (as long as you find the SE version)!

I heard there's a new one coming out to celebrate the new millennium. I'll get that one when it comes out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish I could figure out how to get Windows 10 faster.  I'm stuck on 8.1 with it's massive memory hole.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's what I did:

- First I cloned my Windows 7 HDD to a new SSD.

- Then I "upgraded" to Win 10 on the HDD that was previously running Win 7 so I 'officially' have it.

- Now I boot to the SSD with Win 7 on it, leaving the Win 10 HDD for possible future use.

(Oh yeah, I also changed my preferences under Windows Update to avoid automatic updates so Win 10 wouldn't automatically apply itself.)
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everythiing seems to work fine except Google Chrome.  Google Chrome is a constant stream of virus warning, adware warning, malicious site warnings, outgoing data warnings (which I'd never seen before) and it switches screens/pages on me without warning or control constantly.  If I'm here (arfcom) for example, and I click on a thread to start in a new tab, it does it.  Then, when I click on the tab, it creates a second tab, turns the original tab into an ad, and gives me another spyware/adware/virus warning.  When I close out the new ad and click on the tab with the thread, it'll repeat the steps of creating a new tab for the thread and starting up an ad on the original tab.

I've got Norton anti virus, I've got Malwarebytes, nothing fixes it.  Norton keeps suggesting I run their "cleaner" to get rid of any unwanted software and that does nothing but waste time.

I'm slowly switching some of my favorites over to firefox (Camaro and other car forums) and some other stuff to windows explorer.

View Quote

That's not a Win10 issue. That's a browser hijack issue.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Everythiing seems to work fine except Google Chrome.  Google Chrome is a constant stream of virus warning, adware warning, malicious site warnings, outgoing data warnings (which I'd never seen before) and it switches screens/pages on me without warning or control constantly.
View Quote

LOL that is not caused by Windows 10. That is caused by a browser hijack that you picked somewhere along the way. Download Malwarebytes and run a scan to see what it finds. After it finds and removes the browser hijack, boot Windows into safe mode, see this link for how to enter Windows 10 safe mode, then run another Malwarebytes can and remove anything it finds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Mint
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
/edit to the people saying that their software/apps work like shit or don't work on 10 when they did on 7,

ok, sure.gif
View Quote

In my case there is a definite Windows 10 incompatibility between either the drivers and or software currently on one particular Toshiba laptop (a P755 model running Windows 7) or with the way the hard drive is formatted with hidden recovery partitions. Each time, I've tried twice, that I've tried to upgrade to Windows 10 on that laptop, post upgrade the computer's hard drive goes crazy for more than 30 solid minutes as if its scanning for files/data after one or two reboots. The taskbar/start button freezes after some sort of Windows 10 Update is installed post upgrade and doesn't work until the computer is forced rebooted. The computer takes as long if not longer to boot into Windows 10 than it did under Windows 7. Pauses on a black screen during boot for some reason before continuing. The worst problem and reason I rolled back was many of the Microsoft "apps", and the Microsoft Store App itself were corrupted and failed to load. None of the Googled fixes worked. The corrupted/missing apps also caused missing tiles on the Start Menu.

I have none of those problems if I install Windows 10 clean to a blank hard drive on that same laptop.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
It still has bugs probably when January rolls around the bugs will be troubleshot
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I like 10 so far. It's definitely better than 8, and probably better than 7.

For those whining about menu this and hidden that... if you're not doing [windows key], first letters of what you want, [Enter], then you must have plenty of time to flop your mouse around looking through menus...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I just installed windows 10 on a brand new SSD today. I kinda like it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not Windows' fault.

Load up ghostery, noscript and adblock on Chrome, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh i upgraded my little netbook that has a fairly small ssd it freed up some space and seems more stable withoutbthe faggot ass apps start menu thing
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a heads up to all using Windows 10.

About a week ago, my computer started to get hung-up (freezing) about every 20 seconds or so, for just a instant, then there would be a buzz in the speakers and everything would go.

VERY annoying, especially when playing a game.

So I looked into it, and yes, it was FUCKING Contana from Microsoft.  I then remembered that the "Hi, I am Cortana, ask me a question" was in the search window down on the bottom left side. It corresponded with an update that MS put through last week or so.

Well, the stuff MS has on the web about fixing this, is pure BS, as the things they say to do don't exist (the choices on the menus they say to use have been removed and changed with the last up-date, the same one that forced this crap on everyone).

So, what do you have to do.

Well, going to taskbar and trying to disable Cortana won't work, as it just fires back up in about 5 seconds after you disable it.

BUT, you can go find the folder that Cortana is in (under Windows/SystemApps). Of course you cannot simply rename the folder, as it is being used (remember, when you disable Cortana, it comes right back on).  But, you can try to add a .bak to the folder, then when it says "try again", go to taskbar and disable Contana, then quickly go back the hit try again.  It is will re-name the folder, and end Contana from coming back on.  Which also ends the memory drain (like 20%) that Contana takes from you system, and keeps the freeze, buzz BS from happening.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just a heads up to all using Windows 10.
About a week ago, my computer started to get hung-up (freezing) about every 20 seconds or so, for just a instant, then there would be a buzz in the speakers and everything would go.
VERY annoying, especially when playing a game.
So I looked into it, and yes, it was FUCKING Contana from Microsoft.  I then remembered that the "Hi, I am Cortana, ask me a question" was in the search window down on the bottom left side. It corresponded with an update that MS put through last week or so.
Well, the stuff MS has on the web about fixing this, is pure BS, as the things they say to do don't exist (the choices on the menus they say to use have been removed and changed with the last up-date, the same one that forced this crap on everyone).
So, what do you have to do.
Well, going to taskbar and trying to disable Cortana won't work, as it just fires back up in about 5 seconds after you disable it.
BUT, you can go find the folder that Cortana is in (under Windows/SystemApps). Of course you cannot simply rename the folder, as it is being used (remember, when you disable Cortana, it comes right back on).  But, you can try to add a .bak to the folder, then when it says "try again", go to taskbar and disable Contana, then quickly go back the hit try again.  It is will re-name the folder, and end Contana from coming back on.  Which also ends the memory drain (like 20%) that Contana takes from you system, and keeps the freeze, buzz BS from happening.  
View Quote

Not surprised.  It seems some psychos took over Microsoft and are hellbent on pushing their crap into the users' throats who are supposed to conform.

Imagine what else they are also doing under the hood to tenable all the data collection.  Screw them.  Not upgrading.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fuck Windows 10, fuck Bill Gates and fuck Microsoft for basically hijacking peoples computers and forcing their OS on the public / private sector.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not want Windows 10. Not too cryptic.

Doesn't matter what you want if you can't log in to your computer.

ANY steps you might take to downgrade or whatever all start with logging in.  Short of formatting and reinstalling from media.

For what it's worth if you "haven't heard anything good about it" you haven't been paying attention.  It is a fine OS.

This. Seriously.

Fuck Windows 10, fuck Bill Gates and fuck Microsoft for basically hijacking peoples computers and forcing their OS on the public / private sector.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I run win 8 with start menu and it runs fine
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I just upgraded my office computer from XP to 7.  For Christmas I upgraded the kid's computer from XP to 7 along with a new Samsung SSD and 24" monitor.

I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" to 10
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Welcome to Windows 10.

It's safer and faster and really like Windows 7.

You have been assimilated.
View Quote

That and you got a Keylogger built in sending every thing you type to a Microsoft Database.

Who Smells the NSA on this ??
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
On a serious note, that's not far off the mark. Not in the micro-transaction sense, but more akin to a maintenance subscription. They're already doing something similar with Office 365. End result is the cost differential between buying the software up front versus prorating the cost over the expected service life is negligible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually like the Office 365 subscription model. Why? Well, I get to install it on 5 of my machines, get all updates to the suite and it won't require upgrading when the 'next version' of Office is released.

If you figure that Office has been getting a new version released about every 3 - 4 years and Office Pro costs about $600-700, the $95.00 a year for 365 is a steal. Plus you get a buttload more OneDrive space with the subscription.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I actually like the Office 365 subscription model. Why? Well, I get to install it on 5 of my machines, get all updates to the suite and it won't require upgrading when the 'next version' of Office is released.

If you figure that Office has been getting a new version released about every 3 - 4 years and Office Pro costs about $600-700, the $95.00 a year for 365 is a steal. Plus you get a buttload more OneDrive space with the subscription.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do too. The 1TB/user OneDrive storage is a nice perk.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Download GWX Control Panel to get rid of the W10 nagging upgrade messages.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/gwx_control_panel,1.html  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get rid of the prompt if you want to do a little research.

But Windows 10 is the best Windows OS ever (in my opinion).
Download GWX Control Panel to get rid of the W10 nagging upgrade messages.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/get/gwx_control_panel,1.html  

Thanks for the tip, Awesome !!

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In my case there is a definite Windows 10 incompatibility between either the drivers and or software currently on one particular Toshiba laptop (a P755 model running Windows 7) or with the way the hard drive is formatted with hidden recovery partitions. Each time, I've tried twice, that I've tried to upgrade to Windows 10 on that laptop, post upgrade the computer's hard drive goes crazy for more than 30 solid minutes as if its scanning for files/data after one or two reboots. The taskbar/start button freezes after some sort of Windows 10 Update is installed post upgrade and doesn't work until the computer is forced rebooted. The computer takes as long if not longer to boot into Windows 10 than it did under Windows 7. Pauses on a black screen during boot for some reason before continuing. The worst problem and reason I rolled back was many of the Microsoft "apps", and the Microsoft Store App itself were corrupted and failed to load. None of the Googled fixes worked. The corrupted/missing apps also caused missing tiles on the Start Menu.

I have none of those problems if I install Windows 10 clean to a blank hard drive on that same laptop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

/edit to the people saying that their software/apps work like shit or don't work on 10 when they did on 7,

ok, sure.gif

Yup. There were a lot of drivers that didn't work with Win10 when it was first released. It wasn't Win10, it was the companies that didn't update their drivers to run under Win10 code.

Most of those driver issues have since been remedied.

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ok, sure.gif
View Quote

Sprutcam
Solidworks 2014
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been liking it.
It is a lot like 7 in terms of finding settings, where things are located, etc.
It doesn't have the gay ass "apps" start menu. It's been just fine in my book.
View Quote

Running classic shell I turned 8 into 7 and I don't have a full suite of Microsofts malware to show for it. I'll run 8 till the updates stop then I'll try and learn to love Linux.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got a new Lenovo laptop, downloaded 64 bit Win 7 drivers and never booted to the ten it came with once.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That and you got a Keylogger built in sending every thing you type to a Microsoft Database.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Windows 10.

No one.  Because it's not true to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I get it for free through my school....  Can't beat that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I am thinking of reverting to 7.  Ten is pissing me off.  I have had four blue screens of death and restarts.  Never had one blue screen with 7.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am thinking of reverting to 7.  Ten is pissing me off.  I have had four blue screens of death and restarts.  Never had one blue screen with 7.
View Quote

Check your drivers -- I haven't had a single crash on 10, and I've been running it since long before it was released.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#41]
How dare Microsoft offer a free software upgrade to their current Windows 7 and 8.1 customers?  Who do they think they are, anyway?  Apple?

Install Classic Shell and get on with life...
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How dare Microsoft offer a free software upgrade to their current Windows 7 and 8.1 customers?  Who do they think they are, anyway?  Apple?

Install Classic Shell and get on with life...
View Quote

I thought it was only free for one year then you have to purchase the license?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How dare they want to unify development efforts instead of supporting 7 different Windows variants!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Microsoft must be really desperate to get people assimilated, err... using Windows 10 at all costs that it even created sneaky subterfuges like making Win 7 or 8 download that thing in the background and upgrading without first asking permission to the user.

That tells volumes about the company's intentions and the people there behind this stuff.

How dare they want to unify development efforts instead of supporting 7 different Windows variants!

You sound like you know what your talking about.

I'd highly recommend you get out of the thread as fast as you can. Any tech thread in GD is 99% morons. Not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you want to upgrade to 10? I've had nothing but a positive experience using it on my gaming rig.

I'm rather worried for several games I likely wouldn't be able to play on 10, that's why my desktop is still Windows 7.  My laptop is 8 and I'll probably upgrade to 10 eventually.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Microsoft must be really desperate to get people assimilated, err... using Windows 10 at all costs that it even created sneaky subterfuges like making Win 7 or 8 download that thing in the background and upgrading without first asking permission to the user.

That tells volumes about the company's intentions and the people there behind this stuff.

Funny how that 'unifying' only became important the first time there was a windows version that got lots of bad press for being SPYWARE..

Total coincidence
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Funny how that 'unifying' only became important the first time there was a windows version that got lots of bad press for being SPYWARE..

Total coincidence
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total coincidence

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Running classic shell I turned 8 into 7 and I don't have a full suite of Microsofts malware to show for it. I'll run 8 till the updates stop then I'll try and learn to love Linux.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been liking it.

It is a lot like 7 in terms of finding settings, where things are located, etc.

It doesn't have the gay ass "apps" start menu. It's been just fine in my book.

Classic shell wasn't really needed. 8 and 8.1 both had a classic menu.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to Windows 10.

Microsoft disagrees with you..."your typed and handwritten words are collected,".

Microsoft also admits that they are collecting your first and last name, e-mail address, postal address, phone numbers, age, gender, and country. They collect your online account passwords, password hints, and other security information, credit card account numbers and security codes, internet searches and your interests and favourites, the names of all your contacts, the contents of your calendar, and the contents of private files.

They also admit to collecting your photos, videos, music, e-mails, instant messages, and Skype sessions. They monitor all the software and hardware you install on your system.

They also readily admit that they will use this information for their own purposes or disclose it to whomever they wish (government or third-party vendors).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
people's been bitching about Windows since Windows 1.0
View Quote

Naah-  anything after 3.11   before that, everyone was enamored by it and had to be smarter than the average dolt to use it. Now the internet is open to everyone who can operate a phone, it brought with it a lot of whiners and untrainables.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you're keeping 7 make sure you have recovery disks.  You can't get them from Microsoft anymore.
View Quote

windows 7 AIO from the torrent networks. I use it nearly every day.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top