This ^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of early to panic
This ^^^
This is arfcom, we panic at the thought that something could be possibly maybe wrong. If anything he should have panicked when he put the MO in the mail
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Call him on the phone and talk to him?  Also in for the apology to the other guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The best way I have handled something like this was getting the seller and the FFL in direct contact with each other.

The gun was shipped to the FFL and they wouldn't release it for transfer until the seller received funds and contacted the FFL to let me proceed with the transfer.

It worked two fold as if I felt the item wasn't as promised I could just have the FFL send it back on my dime and it protected me knowing the gun was in hand technically so I had no fear of sending the funds and waiting for the release call.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
In for pics of gun when it arrives next week.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to not be able to ship right away? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd give it a few more days before going full nuclear. Sometimes things happen, like illness, death in the family, or any one of a number of things that might delay shipping and communication. For all you know, he may be hospitalized on a ventilator with influenza and pneumonia. I've seen a lot of that at my hospital recently, and folks in their 20s-40s, not just the elderly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree it’s a bit early to panic

But I also think there’s a chance you never see that Ed Brown or your $1700 again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean its been 2 whole business days? Relax a bit
This.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree it’s a bit early to panic

But I also think there’s a chance you never see that Ed Brown or your $1700 again.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, wait--Is this McLoving in Houston?  That guy has fucked me a buncha times.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do the signatures roughly match?
View Quote
From my novice prospective it looks pretty close to a match,  didn't expect that.  I guess I will give him a week,  can't really hurt.  He answered within the hour all 10 times we communicated,  but maybe something happened.   Doubt it though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
id let it ride till the end of the week..  after that then contact PD although I doubt they have anything they can do
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Belton TX,  I won't post his pic because it probably isn't him,  he likely lost or had his ID stolen.
View Quote
My thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#14]
@DirkericPitt Paypal will not protect you on a firearms transaction. In fact, quite the opposite. If they find out it was for a firearm, they will lock both accounts involved. Never use paypal for firearms.

It has only been a couple of days since he got payment. When you discussed shipping, did you mention to him that an individual cannot ship a handgun via USPS? Did you mention to him that FedEx and UPS require an individual to ship a handgun "overnight" at very expensive rates and some places their employees will ignore the law and company policy and refuse to accept shipment?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. While it does smell shady, I would hold off on the calling the man for another couple days.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@DirkericPitt Paypal will not protect you on a firearms transaction. In fact, quite the opposite. If they find out it was for a firearm, they will lock both accounts involved. Never use paypal for firearms.

It has only been a couple of days since he got payment. When you discussed shipping, did you mention to him that an individual cannot ship a handgun via USPS? Did you mention to him that FedEx and UPS require an individual to ship a handgun "overnight" at very expensive rates and some places their employees will ignore the law and company policy and refuse to accept shipment?
View Quote
Nope,  I didn't know that,  I just gave him my FFL address to ship it to.  He seemed fine with that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This....

Maybe practice a bit with suppressors in ATF jail....you'll learn to relax...
View Quote
Or with an FFL that loses your transferable factory machine gun, later misplaces the Form 4, and doesn't notify you of any of that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#18]
humans are a strange bunch.... relax things are fine........you did your due diligence he provided the info, never seen a scammer do that before,  if after a week then panic.... we all have done deals with slow to ship people or non responsive for days on end for a bunch of stupid reasons .
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a similar deal on Armslust.  The seller sent me a copy of his police ID!!!

Turned out it was stolen or fake. I googled his supposed home address and 10 different
people lived there.  Then called the police station an no cop by that name worked there.

I faxed them the ID and sellers name and address.
Luckily I didn’t go through with the buy or send cash.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't worry OP, the rest of us aren't that stupid.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This. While it does smell shady, I would hold off on the calling the man for another couple days.
View Quote
+1

Sometimes life happens.  People tend to go silent when they don't have good answers, when in cases like this is even more annoying.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fucking this. You're gonna waste the PD time after two days? If it were 5 days with no comms I'd be concerned.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't worry OP, the rest of us aren't that stupid.
View Quote
LOL.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kind of early to panic
View Quote
This.   Maybe it is a scam.  But sometimes shit happens that takes you out of the loop for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I thin you were pretty smart about how you handled it and so was he. With PayPal you would have been really fucked on a gun transaction.  They wouldn’t of helped you at all if they found out what it was.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#27]
If you had used PayPal for the gun, you'd be 100% screwed as that is an item they ban using PayPal to purchase.

Good news is if you sent USPS Money order by mail, you can get the US Postal Service Inspectors involved.

Your Guy has screwed up in he is now in a Federal Felony matter.

You can also contact Local P.D.

I know you are nervous, but give it a few more days before going full on Gonzo...

If you can't get commo going, then turn it over to ARFCOM and Authorities.

I hope You still have your copy of the receipt for the USPS Money Order, you can check to see if it has cashed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh, wait--Is this McLoving in Houston?  That guy has fucked me a buncha times.
View Quote
You must like it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#29]
give it a few days

sheesh
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Tagging this for outcome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I sent a MO to another guy  on ARF for a purchase.  I think it was like $100 or something

everything went smooth but  he had good feedbacks so I was pretty confident.

Good luck man. I would not buy from armslist unless it's face to face and you're  near the police station or have backup.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Lol I wouldn't worry just yet
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I’d give it until end of the week. I’m generally guilty of similar impatience but usually it works out.

If not I live 5 minutes from Belton. If Friday comes and no response just IM me.  I can at least drive by and check it out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This, there are a lot of us here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where in tx.

Out him now.

Post his pic.

This, there are a lot of us here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to not be able to ship right away? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View Quote
What you did there. I see it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep,  name on ID was where I sent MO,  got the certified mail signature back yesterday from where he signed for it.
View Quote
Well then...you have his address....
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Where did you mail the MO to?  House, PO Box, address on ID, different address?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes now it seems fishy because he said it would ship Monday and provide a tracking number and now you have crickets. But at the same time now he has the money and maybe he's just not very eager to ship timely. How long did he take to respond with the additional pics?

Either way he should at least communicate the status.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#39]
a stranger sent me 5700 for my SP89 so I sent the gun to his FFL. he liked it so much he gave me 4200 for my 94 and I sent that to his FFL

give it a little time
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#40]
I saw one of my own guns for sale on Armslist.

Some scammer lifted one of the pictures of my P220 Super Match from the Internet, reproduced it on Armslist, and offered it up as a gun for sale.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#41]
In my area there is a huge amount of Money Order forgery.
Mainly done by convicts in our state's prisons.
I cannot remember exactly how long it takes our local banks to verify the money order is good but I think it is a week or more.
Seller may be waiting to ship until his bank makes sure the money order is legit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Didn't Texas just get slammed with some nasty storms? Maybe that's what the hold up is op.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#43]
This is why I only buy from the EE or GB. I saw a S&W 1046 on Armslist for $2300 and nearly shit myself contacting them. They responded back with more pictures, and some story about cutting off a couple hundred if I send a money order quickly. I got suspicious.
I posted the pics on some 10mm groups I belong to and found out that particular gun(there are only 161 in existence) was owned by someone who had posted the exact pictures I was sent on another forum.

Then I found other older armslist posts from different locations with the same pics. I just don;t trust armslist now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Relax, he's probably in the middle of another scam. He'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I can understand how the OP can be nervous. The seller could at least say he has been delayed. For all the OP knows, the dude could have gotten in a car accident and is too injured to email. Hey, it can happen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#47]
If you must buy crap off of Armslist, you need to ask seller to take their item to one of their local FFL’s. That way, you can call the FFL to verify everything is on up and up.  Even offering to pay the extra for that FFL to ship the item.

Sorry OP, but you got shook.  A good chunk of Armslist posts are scams.

Expensive lesson, but face it, all education costs something.  Your’s was right about $1700.00.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Hope you didn't fuck up the deal! Guy was probably going to drop it off at the shipper soon as he get's a chance, now the law's looking for him...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He was supposed to have shipped on Monday and it is now early Wednesday morning. While the lack of communication is not a good sign, it may still work out. You did your due diligence in vetting the seller. It is hard to believe he set up all that credibility for one $1,700 scam.

I hope it all works out for you.
View Quote
Based on my experience scouting for deals on Armslist, I think what scammers are doing is finding a listing on another website, communicating with the seller and getting their info and DL pictures, and then relaying it to their potential victims. That's how they get additional pictures when asked and get ID's of real people.

I've only bought 1 thing off Armslist, but ended up talking to a few scammers. If I'm gonna start making a deal, I require the person to send me a pic of the item with a personalized message on a piece of paper beside the item, then ask to talk on the phone. That will usually halt the deal if its a scammer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dear O.P.,

Jacob Melwakka, Authorized Gun Seller licensed by United Nations Weapons Control.

Greetings my business friend.  Having received your Money Order from the total sum of $1,700 U.S. Dollars. I wanted to let you know that I have contacted our United Nations Weapons Control Monitor, Mr. Susbekaa, and let him know that you have made as agreed payment in a timely manner.   Mr. Susbekaa, of the Office of the United Nations Weapons Control Monitor, will be contacting you shortly to make arrangements for a most trusted courier to transport your new item.   Be noted that You may have a responsibility for any Fees of United Nations Weapons Control Monitor for the Courier.  I pray you do not have any further issues and that you will enjoy your new item.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top