User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Aaah

I think you you drained her CVT fluid
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you drained the transmission fluid ...

what size wrench did you use? if it was bigger than a 17mm, you fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
OP smash the neighbor yet?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Manuals don’t have plugs. Duh.
View Quote

... they do.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hyundai's have electric brake fluid pumps - the kind of fluid that's CLEAR!
View Quote

only on hybrids.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Aaah

I think you you drained her CVT fluid
View Quote

we did not have a cvt in the states until 2018
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
LP, what has op done to that woman’s car?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LP, what has op done to that woman’s car?
View Quote

all i know is that bad things have happened.

bad things.

another car has, or will, die a premature death.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds like OP is buying a tranny.  Good clean gear oil could be described as "Clear" compared to black oil.  Good luck.
View Quote

Well, here's your update.

I am fucking confirmed retarded, but I don't have to but a tranny at least.  

I was seriously second guessing myself so I went to YouTube and watched a video on '2010 Hyundai Elantra oil change', and sure as fuck the oil drain pan is on the other side of the exaust system and I did indeed drain the fucking transaxle fluid -- at least as much as came out of the drain hole when it was on jack stands.

This enlightenment also lead me to conclude that I did indeed just add 4.5 quarts of motor oil into the crankcase with the old oil.  

Thankfully I caught it before anything got messed up.  

This transaxle Hyundai shit is for the fucking birds.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was seriously second guessing myself so I went to YouTube and watched a video on '2010 Hyundai Elantra oil change', and sure as fuck the oil drain pan is on the other side of the exaust system and I did indeed drain the fucking transaxle fluid -- at least as much as came out of the drain hole when it was on jack stands.

This enlightenment also lead me to conclude that I did indeed just add 4.5 quarts of motor oil into the crankcase with the old oil.  

View Quote

That was an awful quick repair
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
How much did she drive it? Hard to say how long it would take to mess something up but probably not more than a few miles...

What did she say when you told her?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Well that was fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Decent Youtube video on doing an oil change on that same vehicle.  It you emptied fluid from ANY other plug, don't drive the vehicle or even start it.

Oil drain plug location (see arrow)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519585.JPG

Pic of old oil draining out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519589.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKWtpZd_Y8

If you took off the plug below using a 24mm wrench that's for the manual transmission
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519595.JPG
View Quote

That's exactly what I fucking did.  That last picture is exactly the bolt I pulled.  Fuck I'm an idiot.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP smash the neighbor yet?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has op left to knock on neighbors door yet?
View Quote

Fuck me, that was an interesting conversation.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck I'm an idiot.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent Youtube video on doing an oil change on that same vehicle.  It you emptied fluid from ANY other plug, don't drive the vehicle or even start it.

Oil drain plug location (see arrow)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519585.JPG

Pic of old oil draining out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519589.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKWtpZd_Y8

If you took off the plug below using a 24mm wrench that's for the manual transmission
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519595.JPG

Fuck I'm an idiot.  

I don't think anyone will argue against that statement.

My best advice for you is to not ever touch someone weeks else's car.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Independent, professional auto mechanic here,

I am 100% sure you drained the manual transmission.

It’s ok, lots of people have done it. Please call her before damage is done.

It’s “only 1 quart overfill” because the crankcase volume is not linear. The space between the add and full marks is only 1 quart at that height in the oil pan. The oil pan is not a cylinder shape. Imagine filling up a vase, the volume filled to filled height ratio changes as you pour.

For my proof, I bet the oil that came out of the old filter was a lot darker than the clean fluid you drains from the “engine”, wasn’t it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was an awful quick repair
View Quote

It's not fixed.  I told her that I fucked up and that I would have it towed to the lube place in the morning so they can deal with it.
 Legit change the oil again -- properly -- and fill the fucking transaxle back up.  

You think she trusts me to fix anything after this shitshow?  LMAO.  

No.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not fixed.  I told her that I fucked up and that I would have it towed to the lube place in the morning so they can deal with it.    

No.  
View Quote

Op gets an a for honesty and fixing the problem
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey at least OP came clean.

I thought this was a joke.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#21]
You actually did yourself a favor....she and your neighbors probably won't ever ask you to work on their stuff again.

And you're making it right which is good too.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
How did you change the tyranny fluid with a oil socket? They are two different sizes.

If it wasn't oil that came out you should have checked the oil before you poured oil in.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread is hilarious.

Jeeze OP, did you even look at what the drain plug is attached to?  It's usually clear what part is the engine and which part is the transmission.

But seriously, if I haven't work on a specific model of a car, I usually at least do a quick read to make sure I'm not fucking things up, even an oil change.  Especially if it's a newer model car.  They can be very different than the decade plus old cars I drive.

Rf
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
No way your “getting any” from neighbor unless she likes it in the wrong hole!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  

+1

He owned it and sounds like he's making it right
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey at least OP came clean.

I thought this was a joke.
View Quote

Yeah.....not so much.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How did you change the tyranny fluid with a oil socket? They are two different sizes.

If it wasn't oil that came out you should have checked the oil before you poured oil in.
View Quote

A lot of newer cars have regular hex bolt heads. Might be two different sizes but they look the same now.  Not like the older models that use a half inch square socket head
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was like a 18 or 19mm wrench.  It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.  

Oil came out.....transmission oil.  Whatever a fucking Hyundai uses, that's what came out.  

I fucked up to because as it was draining I briefly thought to myself 'this kind of smells like gear/transmission oil not motor oil.'
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I lol’d. So many lessons....about you, about the neighbor, about letting others work on your stuff, about working on other people’s stuff, about having professionals do work, etc.  This could have turned out to be a Judge Judy episode.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#30]
So she was driving around on 1qt of oil.

Nuts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes you fucked up biggly...

You're a good dude OP for trying to help a neighbor. Just next time, mow her lawn or something.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This thread is hilarious.

Jeeze OP, did you even look at what the drain plug is attached to?  It's usually clear what part is the engine and which part is the transmission.

But seriously, if I haven't work on a specific model of a car, I usually at least do a quick read to make sure I'm not fucking things up, even an oil change.  Especially if it's a newer model car.  They can be very different than the decade plus old cars I drive.

Rf
View Quote

Yeah, to be honestly, not really.  Just being honest.  I looked around and found a drain plug and just went full-send.  

As it was draining out I thought it looked way too clear and smelled off but I ignored that little voice in my head.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I lol’d. So many lessons....about you, about the neighbor, about letting others work on your stuff, about working on other people’s stuff, about having professionals do work, etc.  This could have turned out to be a Judge Judy episode.
View Quote

So true.  All of this is so fucking true.  

I have to learn lessons the hard way.  Every fucking time it seems.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#34]
On the plus side, No Way she ever lets you cut her grass!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#35]
In this thread, OP paid tuition.

Go and sin no more OP.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#36]
It's a drain plug, not drain pan.

My old beater is an 09 Elantra (same gen as 2010) and about as easy as it gets to change the oil. If you mess it up, time to put down the wrench and step away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It was like a 18 or 19mm wrench.  It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.  

Oil came out.....transmission oil.  Whatever a fucking Hyundai uses, that's what came out.  

I fucked up to because as it was draining I briefly thought to myself 'this kind of smells like gear/transmission oil not motor oil.'
View Quote
There plenty of warnings here that you didn't act on.

Working in different industries over the years one of the most valuable things I've learned is to know when to stop. If it doesn't seem right listen to yourself and just stop and take a few minutes to assess the situation.

I've seen a lot of guys fuck up a lot of very expensive and important stuff because they just don't know when to stop. Or they're too embarrassed to admit they don't know.

Another important lesson is to always understand the job the best you can before starting. Even if it's as simple as changing some oil. This whole thing could have been avoided with 5 min on YouTube.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm embarrassed for op, but at least you're getting it sorted
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No way your “getting any” from neighbor unless she likes it in the wrong hole!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
so you drained something, add something to what you thought you drained, its now over filled, and tried to drain it again and nothing came out? did I get that right?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You dont wish to create joinder with p_barnes?
View Quote

I'm surprised more people here don't know the P Barnes story.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn this reminds me of the first time I did some mechanic work. I was about 15 and told my mom I’d change her oil in a 1985 Toyota Tercel. Went to advance and got all the supplies. Got under the vehicle and drained all what I thought was the oil and changed the filter. Filled the crankcase back up and fired the car up and it was smoking up the whole driveway. I thought to myself wtf did I do. So I proceeded to put it in gear and it wouldn’t go anywhere. Yeah I drained the tranny and double filled the crankcase. Thank god it was a Toyota after I replaced all the proper fluids it ran fine for 10 more years.
View Quote

I'm a new member to the club....

...Except that I'm not 15.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn this reminds me of the first time I did some mechanic work. I was about 15 and told my mom I’d change her oil in a 1985 Toyota Tercel. Went to advance and got all the supplies. Got under the vehicle and drained all what I thought was the oil and changed the filter. Filled the crankcase back up and fired the car up and it was smoking up the whole driveway. I thought to myself wtf did I do. So I proceeded to put it in gear and it wouldn’t go anywhere. Yeah I drained the tranny and double filled the crankcase. Thank god it was a Toyota after I replaced all the proper fluids it ran fine for 10 more years.
View Quote

I did the same thing when I was a kid with a Toyota Corolla. My dad was deployed at the time, so he wasn’t there to help. I want to say on that model the plugs were the same size. Luckily I knew immediately what I’d done, so I didn’t drive it, but in those pre-internet days it wasn’t obvious how I would get transmission fluid back into it. I had to do the walk of shame to my uncle, who owned an auto shop. He just laughed and gave me a very small funnel for the dipstick hole and OEM tranny fluid. That car ran another 200,000 miles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You actually did yourself a favor....she and your neighbors probably won't ever ask you to work on their stuff again.

And you're making it right which is good too.
View Quote

lol well you're not wrong.

I gotta remember this technique.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#45]
If it makes you feel better OP...

The lube guy at a place I used to work drained the trans fluid on a Subaru. He at least got help when the oil was over full, but he was also in a shop full of mechanics not just in a driveway.

No matter how professional we've all done something dumb  before.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#46]
OP, please tell me that you don't reload ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#47]
The real sad part here is that you are now over-qualified for a job at Jiffy Lube
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:02:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Imma give OP credit for fessing up to both us and his neighbor.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#49]
You smelled the gear oil smell, noticed it was clean fluid, but did not notice the CV axle poked right into the same casting you were draining just above that drain plug? Ok then.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:06:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top