Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imma give OP credit for fessing up to both us and his neighbor.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
OP forgot to let the vehicle down off the lift.

That's why no oil came out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
God damn.

Can we get this guy a handicapped placard badge?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Op sorry but

It’s not that bad, only severely shortened the life of the gear box and massive oil pressure has blown every seal in the engine, probably damaged the crank shaft, and blown oil all over the clutch,

Fair play for admitting it though. It’s ok I’m getting old too and do stupid stuff.

Pro tip of something doesn’t add up logically driving it around doesn’t make it make sense
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone address the OP typed, 'I unscrewed her drain plug and nothing was dripping?' and then proceeded to say he took her drain plug out and still couldn't get her to drip.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
LoL, that’s what your neighbor gets for trying to flirt her way into a free oil change.     Nothing in life is free.  Not for her.  Not for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

we did not have a cvt in the states until 2018
View Quote

Jeep has had a cvt transmission since at least 2012. Most of the Korean cars have also.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Not reading all the posts. I assume OP doesn't know a transaxle from an engine. He drained the trans and then double filled the oil and can't figure out WTF? How's my guess?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not reading all the posts. I assume OP doesn't know a transaxle from an engine. He drained the trans and then double filled the oil and can't figure out WTF? How's my guess?
View Quote

Ding Ding
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Another episode of no good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes you fucked up biggly...

You're a good dude OP for trying to help a neighbor. Just next time, mow her lawn or something.
View Quote

Don’t mow the flower bed. Just the grass.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Hope she doesn't see this bro
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#15]
OP screwed up
OP fessed up
OP is making it right

To me, OP is a good person. Any idiot can screw something up. But it takes a good person to admit they screwed up and to make it right.

Also, I guess we can add "Expert Master Mechanic" to the ever-growing list of Arfcom member traits.

Millionaire
Super-model girlfriend/wife
6' 5"
Hung like a horse
Expert marksman at ANY range out to, and including, 1000 yards
Expert Master Mechanic
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I do about 99% of my own vehicle and motorized gadget repair but I don't do anything for anyone else anymore. Period. HELP them sure, do it, nope. The only exception was Dad when he was around.

I USED to have a pretty good side business doing yard machine repairs and some vehicle stuff but nowadays, nope, liability, lawyers, and enough assets to lose make that a losing proposition.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
A coworker did something similar to his brother's car a few months ago. I knew exactly what he did before he even said it, he wound up draining the transmission fluid instead. He then proceeded to put in more oil into the vehicle. His brother drove the car for hundreds of miles before taking it to a dealer who fixed the issue. Fortunately the car  has been ok since. I told him next time to just go to a Jiffy Lube if he wants something screwed up, that way he won't be responsible.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When has tranny fluid been clear? I've only done older cars, but it's always been reddish or brown.
View Quote

Automatic transmission fluid is red, which can turn brown over time.

Manual transmissions use an assortment of fluid. Most use some form of gear oil (GL4, GL5) which is more of a straw color, some manual transmissions use automatic transmission fluid, and some even use regular motor oil like 10W30. The fluid may darken a little over time, but it doesn't get black like engine oil does.

Most gear oil could certainly be considered "clear" when compared to used engine oil.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#21]
OP is guilty of felony vehicular molestation.

Suspended sentence due to OP fessing up and having vehicle properly serviced.

PS: Youtube or AllData is your friend.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, here's your update.

I am fucking confirmed retarded, but I don't have to but a tranny at least.  

I was seriously second guessing myself so I went to YouTube and watched a video on '2010 Hyundai Elantra oil change', and sure as fuck the oil drain pan is on the other side of the exaust system and I did indeed drain the fucking transaxle fluid -- at least as much as came out of the drain hole when it was on jack stands.

This enlightenment also lead me to conclude that I did indeed just add 4.5 quarts of motor oil into the crankcase with the old oil.  

Thankfully I caught it before anything got messed up.  

This transaxle Hyundai shit is for the fucking birds.  
View Quote

So she only had a quart in the engine after a year?  Might want to start watching youtube videos on engine swaps
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was seriously second guessing myself so I went to YouTube and watched a video on '2010 Hyundai Elantra oil change', and sure as fuck the oil drain pan is on the other side of the exaust system and I did indeed drain the fucking transaxle fluid -- at least as much as came out of the drain hole when it was on jack stands.

This enlightenment also lead me to conclude that I did indeed just add 4.5 quarts of motor oil into the crankcase with the old oil.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like OP is buying a tranny.  Good clean gear oil could be described as "Clear" compared to black oil.  Good luck.

I did the same thing once, ran an 02 accent about a block wondering why it wasnt shifting and smoking out the hood, 9 quarts of oil and no tranny fluid. Trust me, you will never make that mistake again, and yeah on the hyundais its fkin confusing. The tranny pan and the engine pan are hard to tell apart laying on your back from underneath.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So she only had a quart in the engine after a year?  Might want to start watching youtube videos on engine swaps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't let this thread archive
I want to know when the motor has unrelated  grenade and OP is blamed
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Always RTFM!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So she was driving around on 1qt of oil.

Nuts.
View Quote

No. Almost 8 qts of oil,no tranny juice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In this thread, OP paid tuition.

Go and sin no more OP.
View Quote

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
At least it wasn't the transmission fluid.  On 2nd gen Tacomas a lot of people mistake the transmission fluid plug for the oil drain plug that is kind of hidden away surrounded by metal plates.  refilling the transmission is an absolute bitch too, the transmission has to be at a certain temp before it can be properly done and you either need specialized tools or a jumper in a specific place to know when that is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My mind is blown that you opened a drain (which you thought was oil, and had previously drained -and thought you refilled), and NOTHING CAME OUT and you then proceeded to let someone drive in the car.

My mind is full of fuck.  

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Time to move before something shits the bed in the car
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone brought up that the car only had 1 quart in it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You're a good dude OP for trying to help a neighbor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Manuals don’t have plugs. Duh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a manual transmission car and I've never seen a manual with a drain plug.  

I thought of that, believe me.  I'm 99.99% sure what I drained was the oil.  

WHAT?  Every manual transmission has a drain plug.  How else would you, you know, change the fluid?

Manuals don’t have plugs. Duh.

Hope you’re being sarcastic because any manual in a vehicle made in the last 25 years or even further back does.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#36]
At least it wasn't a reverse pin!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like OP is buying a tranny.  Good clean gear oil could be described as "Clear" compared to black oil.  Good luck.

Jeeze, you act like it’s something new and ground breaking here.  Been this way for 40+ years. Most transverse engines are on the passenger side, and the oil drain and filter will be there too.  Exceptions are the counter clockwise engines which sit on the driver side.  Wait till you have an automatic with no dipstick and you need to check the fluid level
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#38]
In my long life I have made my share of mistakes doing mechanical and electrical stuff that I shouldn't have been doing so I can't criticize the OP.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My mind is blown that you opened a drain (which you thought was oil, and had previously drained -and thought you refilled), and NOTHING CAME OUT and you then proceeded to let someone drive in the car.

My mind is full of fuck.  

View Quote

He ignored the first two Dirty Harry movies - he felt lucky in a doomed situation and he didn't know his limitations.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So she was driving around on 1qt of oil.

Nuts.

He said it only showed 1qt over on the dipstick. I doubt the thing would have taken 8 qts.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a good dude OP for trying to help a neighbor. Just next time, mow her lawn or something.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He said it only showed 1qt over on the dipstick. I doubt the thing would have taken 8 qts.
View Quote
where did it go?
I don't know the internal geometry of the engine and oil gauge area to conclusively say above "full" on the gauge is linear.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#43]
This reminds me of the time a friend took his car to Jiffy Lube for a tire rotation only, no oil change, and he drives a couple miles before his engine locked up. Those of you mechanically inclined can deduce wtf happened.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least you didn't remove the trans level tube. Then all the fluid would have come out.......

That trans fill/drain set up is very common these days. From imports, to VW/Audi, to Fords.  You should have done your research before working on something you don't know. And no offense, you should know the difference between a oil pan and a transaxle case..... GM transaxles have a drain on the bottom, a fill at the top and a pipe plug level on the side of the case you have to pull and fill till it starts running out. Also all these modern transmissions need to be to a certain operating temp range to make sure fluid is correct. It is not like the old dipstick with hot and cold level
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This reminds me of the time a friend took his car to Jiffy Lube for a tire rotation only, no oil change, and he drives a couple miles before his engine locked up. Those of you mechanically inclined can deduce wtf happened.
View Quote
Well.. they didn't change it - just like he asked.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd suggest you take her car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and have them check and fix all the fluids before you wind up buying her a new engine.

And then stop working on cars forever.
View Quote

This post.

This is perfect.

Probably drained the diff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't read all, so sue me if I dupe, but does anyone see what's happened?
OP put 4.5 qt.s of oil in the engine but was only 1 qt. over.
So neighbor lady was 3.5 down when it holds 4.5.
Someone dodged a bullet.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Didn't read all, so sue me if I dupe, but does anyone see what's happened?
OP put 4.5 qt.s of oil in the engine but was only 1 qt. over.
So neighbor lady was 3.5 down when it holds 4.5.
Someone dodged a bullet.

View Quote

Depending on shape of crankcase, it may have. "Looked" like 1 qt but been 4 high.

The dipstick isnt calibrated.rhe whole way up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I fucking did.  That last picture is exactly the bolt I pulled.  Fuck I'm an idiot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent Youtube video on doing an oil change on that same vehicle.  It you emptied fluid from ANY other plug, don't drive the vehicle or even start it.

Oil drain plug location (see arrow)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519585.JPG

Pic of old oil draining out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519589.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKWtpZd_Y8

If you took off the plug below using a 24mm wrench that's for the manual transmission
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519595.JPG

That's exactly what I fucking did.  That last picture is exactly the bolt I pulled.  Fuck I'm an idiot.  
How in the everloving fuck could you not tell that was a transmission component?/

I left out one because you apparently didnt cross thread anything.

Go throw your tools in the river.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top