Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, if it makes you feel better, I changed the transmission oil on my diesel truck a few years ago for the first time.

I read the torque specs on the bolts when I affixed the newly cleaned transmission cover and used a torque wrench that I'd never used before to tighten the bolts.

I'd broken the heads off of 3 bolts (each time removing the entire cover again to extract the broken bolt and cursing like a sailor) before I figured out how to properly use the torque wrench...

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So she was driving around on 1qt of oil.

Nuts.
View Quote
Some people deserve eachother.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, to be honestly, not really.  Just being honest.  I looked around and found a drain plug and just went full-send.  

As it was draining out I thought it looked way too clear and smelled off but I ignored that little voice in my head.  
View Quote
BARNES!!! BARNES!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Always RTFM!
View Quote

I came here to say that.

RTFM, how does it work?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did the same thing when I was a kid with a Toyota Corolla. My dad was deployed at the time, so he wasn't there to help. I want to say on that model the plugs were the same size. Luckily I knew immediately what I'd done, so I didn't drive it, but in those pre-internet days it wasn't obvious how I would get transmission fluid back into it. I had to do the walk of shame to my uncle, who owned an auto shop. He just laughed and gave me a very small funnel for the dipstick hole and OEM tranny fluid. That car ran another 200,000 miles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn this reminds me of the first time I did some mechanic work. I was about 15 and told my mom I'd change her oil in a 1985 Toyota Tercel. Went to advance and got all the supplies. Got under the vehicle and drained all what I thought was the oil and changed the filter. Filled the crankcase back up and fired the car up and it was smoking up the whole driveway. I thought to myself wtf did I do. So I proceeded to put it in gear and it wouldn't go anywhere. Yeah I drained the tranny and double filled the crankcase. Thank god it was a Toyota after I replaced all the proper fluids it ran fine for 10 more years.

I did the same thing when I was a kid with a Toyota Corolla. My dad was deployed at the time, so he wasn't there to help. I want to say on that model the plugs were the same size. Luckily I knew immediately what I'd done, so I didn't drive it, but in those pre-internet days it wasn't obvious how I would get transmission fluid back into it. I had to do the walk of shame to my uncle, who owned an auto shop. He just laughed and gave me a very small funnel for the dipstick hole and OEM tranny fluid. That car ran another 200,000 miles.
A friend of mine in HS had a datsun 240Z and it had.......a few leaks.

He calls me up and says hey, In going to go buy some engine and trans stop leak, will you show me where they go?

Yeah, C'mon over.

10min later he calls from a payphone down the street, Hey wolves, I tried to save some time and put the goop in myself and I mixed up the bottles, now there is no oil in my engine!

WTF, How? Sit tight, Ill be right there.

So I get there and check the dip stick and yep, no oil. So I took off the oil fill cap on top of the valve cover and oil comes out.

The trans stop leak got hot in the engine and plugged the drain back holes in the head and all of his oil was in the valve cover.

I told him to get it towed to a shop and we parted ways.

The dipshit came back in a couple hours and drove it to a shop.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This reminds me of the time a friend took his car to Jiffy Lube for a tire rotation only, no oil change, and he drives a couple miles before his engine locked up. Those of you mechanically inclined can deduce wtf happened.
View Quote
They rotated his oil?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd suggest you take her car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and have them check and fix all the fluids before you wind up buying her a new engine.

And then stop working on cars forever.
View Quote

Ha, she got what she paid for.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That or there's a neighbor that's about to learn why trying to save a few bucks usually ends up costing more...
View Quote

Ha, she found the simp to do free work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP screwed up
OP fessed up
OP is making it right

To me, OP is a good person. Any idiot can screw something up. But it takes a good person to admit they screwed up and to make it right.

Also, I guess we can add "Expert Master Mechanic" to the ever-growing list of Arfcom member traits.

Millionaire
Super-model girlfriend/wife
6' 5"
Hung like a horse
Expert marksman at ANY range out to, and including, 1000 yards
Expert Master Mechanic
View Quote

If we accept mistakes, we encourage mistakes. We have a societal obligation to crucify the OP so that every Arfcommer, before attempting ANY maintenance no matter how simple, will check and verify.
You don’t double check your zipper before you leave the bathroom because you’re afraid of someone saying “Hey Bloodraven, your zipper is down. It’s ok,nobody’s perfect, let me help you.” It’ll because someone, somewhere along the line yelled “B loodraven’s cow’s are getting out!” and Cindy Lou Who giggled.

Healthy social pressure is ok.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But that doesn’t even look like a transmission.

Does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent Youtube video on doing an oil change on that same vehicle.  It you emptied fluid from ANY other plug, don't drive the vehicle or even start it.

Oil drain plug location (see arrow)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519585.JPG

Pic of old oil draining out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519589.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKWtpZd_Y8

If you took off the plug below (24 mm), that's for the transmission
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519595.JPG

But that doesn’t even look like a transmission.

Does it?

Nope, but this is GD....  At least OP admitted his mistake instead of going MIA after posting.

OP here is a video, in case you want to make sure you complete the manual transmission fluid change correctly.
Hyundai Elantra: How to change the gearbox oil with a manual transmission 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Mechanic here, and never done it, but this shit happens all the time. And it aint getting any easier.

Some of the newer cars can easily steer you wrong if you arent really paying attention.
OP lucky it wasnt one that needs stupid expensive fluid. I think I remember some of the audi dealers wanted damn near 1k for trans service on some of them
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Main thing is you made it right.

She still mad at you???

Had a friend who tried to wash his silverado paper air filter with water and call my friend and asked how long it takes for it to dry.

It was so poofy from what my friend described that we still laugh about it years later.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I really feel bad for the OP here. It having the fluids properly filled and changed is all that he has to have done here, he's going to be very lucky. It's very likely that there is damage to the transmission since she drove it around the block with no fluid.

I really hope you don't run into that though. You seem like a good honorable guy that was just trying to help a neighbor out. It takes a real man to admit his mistakes and own up to them like you have. Not too many people do that.

That all said, I did something similar twice when I was 16, although luckily I didn't drive it. I worked at a shop part time and did tons of oil changes, brake jobs, etc. Stuff like that. I had a car come in one time with the engine oil drain plug kind of hidden and the trans drain plug where you'd assume the oil drain plug would be. I should have looked to make sure it was on the engine, but i guess I was in a hurry and I didn't. As soon as I pulled the plug out, I smelt transmission fluid immediately. I stuck the plug back in there as fast as I could and then refilled the transmission fluid. I told the owner what I did and all was well. Well, the same car came back months later and I did the exact same thing again. I was really embarrassed then. So I know how easy it is to make mistakes. Especially if you're in a hurry and trying to try get it done quickly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
It's fixed.

$230 someodd bucks later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's fixed.

$230 someodd bucks later.
View Quote

Did you pay a portion?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I am impressed on many levels.

don't waste that extra oil..you can top off your blinker fluid with it .
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:14:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you pay a portion?
View Quote

Yeah I guess you could say that if you consider 100% 'a portion.'  

I mean, 100% is a portion or 100% I suppose.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Op you have paid your "dumbass" dues that most pay eventually and I will not mention this again
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you pay a portion?

I hope you learned a few things from this.  

You fessed up and had it fixed.  You are a good man.  Hopefully she didn't drive far.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Another White Knight fail.

No one ever learns
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you pay a portion?

Still cheaper than a new transmission though, isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I fucking did.  That last picture is exactly the bolt I pulled.  Fuck I'm an idiot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decent Youtube video on doing an oil change on that same vehicle.  It you emptied fluid from ANY other plug, don't drive the vehicle or even start it.

Oil drain plug location (see arrow)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519585.JPG

Pic of old oil draining out
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519589.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKWtpZd_Y8

If you took off the plug below using a 24mm wrench that's for the manual transmission
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1519595.JPG

That's exactly what I fucking did.  That last picture is exactly the bolt I pulled.  Fuck I'm an idiot.  

That last picture shows an object that looks nothing like an oil pan.  

How in the world could you fuck that up?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re a dumbass. But a pretty good dude too.

Consider it a cheap lesson learned, God knows I fucked up plenty of stuff on the mechanic learning curve.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:38:05 AM EDT
[#24]
In this thread we learned OP can be dumbass. It’s ok though as everybody does something stupid at some point in their life.

We also learned OP is a good dude with morals!!

Also seems OP has good sense of humor and has thick skin.

Glad it didn’t turn out to be really expensive for you OP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They rotated his oil?
View Quote
Something like that. It appears that engines won't run long if you drain the oil without replacing it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#26]
You are an idiot.
Why offer to "help" people by doing an simple lof if you apparently have no idea what the hell you are doing. Shit,might as well start performing surgery's too.
Dumb ass lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The tranny is now empty. lol.
Download the manual , quick like.
Oh and pics of the neighbor.
View Quote

This. OP drained the transmission.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#28]
OP is a standup guy that took his lumps here, as well as doing the right thing by his neighbor. Yeah, he might not be the greatest mechanic, but he sure sounds like a good neighbor.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#29]
As a young man, I made a living for a number of years as a mechanic. The best, most experienced mechanics all had one thing in common: They opened up the service manual to the job they were doing and had it open on their bench. They referred to it periodically. This is how one avoids errors.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP screwed up
OP fessed up
OP is making it right

To me, OP is a good person. Any idiot can screw something up. But it takes a good person to admit they screwed up and to make it right.

Also, I guess we can add "Expert Master Mechanic" to the ever-growing list of Arfcom member traits.

Millionaire
Super-model girlfriend/wife
6' 5"
Hung like a horse
Expert marksman at ANY range out to, and including, 1000 yards
Expert Master Mechanic
View Quote

I'm also handsome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP is a standup guy that took his lumps here, as well as doing the right thing by his neighbor. Yeah, he might not be the greatest mechanic, but he sure sounds like a good neighbor.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]
In this thread, we learn you should never drink before or while wrenching.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Have we requested pics of Miss Lady yet?
We need to judge if he was taking a calculated risk, or not. I mean, $230. She's gotta be at least a strong 6 or better, amiright?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It was like a 18 or 19mm wrench.  It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.  

Oil came out.....transmission oil.  Whatever a fucking Hyundai uses, that's what came out.  

I fucked up to because as it was draining I briefly thought to myself 'this kind of smells like gear/transmission oil not motor oil.'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you change the tyranny fluid with a oil socket? They are two different sizes.

If it wasn't oil that came out you should have checked the oil before you poured oil in.

It was like a 18 or 19mm wrench.  It seemed perfectly reasonable at the time.  

Oil came out.....transmission oil.  Whatever a fucking Hyundai uses, that's what came out.  

I fucked up to because as it was draining I briefly thought to myself 'this kind of smells like gear/transmission oil not motor oil.'

Has it occurred to you
that maybe you shouldn’t be working on your own stuff? I mean this in the nicest possible way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So true.  All of this is so fucking true.  

I have to learn lessons the hard way.  Every fucking time it seems.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lol’d. So many lessons....about you, about the neighbor, about letting others work on your stuff, about working on other people’s stuff, about having professionals do work, etc.  This could have turned out to be a Judge Judy episode.

So true.  All of this is so fucking true.  

I have to learn lessons the hard way.  Every fucking time it seems.  

We still love you OP, but I don't think you're getting anybpussy from the neighbor. At least we know if our neighbor wants the oil changed in her Hyundai, it's easier to send her to the dealer!
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top