Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuddfest 2019 complete with replies about dueling at the range with randoms. “My Glock is ready” LOFuckingL
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:16:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Best thing i saw was around 95-97'.. im at the ONF range. It was busy, but not like it is these days. Anyway. Its a blast fest. Getting busy, and unsafe.
We are packing up.
And this dude...at the end burns a belt off through a 1919...whole place went still.....
Then  rangers and fwc showed up.
Time to leave...lol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I usually shoot at my dad's farm, but sometimes I go to an uncontrolled range. I usually try and make friends with whoever else is there. Always stuff to talk about when it comes to guns. If I have to go to check my targets, I'll ask "You guys mind if I go up to check my targets?" I think being overly polite is the way to go. People almost always reciprocate and makes the whole range trip a pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Santa Rosa Shooting Centsr or Escambia River gun club?
View Quote
Santa Rosa Shooting  Center
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Lowest common denominator thinking is destroying our species.

Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]
You did exactly what you should've

He'll remember that for a while
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Bolt removed or not if you did what that kid did in the military you'd get your ass chewed big time. Even if you overreacted you still did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bolt removed or not if you did what that kid did in the military you'd get your ass chewed big time. Even if you overreacted you still did the right thing.
View Quote
Umm, bullshit. My last Q range we got off the bus, was issued ammo 10 feet off the range road, and went hot before we walked onto the range. Leaving the range, it was clearing barrel by the numbers, just like your going onto a FOB.Imagine that, Combat Arms troops with hot weapons, just strolling around. You know, kind of like actually doing combat arms stuff. Maybe .mil is back to rodding on and rodding off the firing line, but thank god that at the height of the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan some of the garrison Pogue bullshit was set aside for some realism. At least in some organizations. Of course, as with all things .mil, your experiences may differ.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your intent was correct but maybe your delivery was overboard.

I have found a simple “you need to be behind the line when the range is cold” works almost every time.

The one time it didn’t, I packed up and left.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've discovered part of the problem.

Quoted:

The good news is that the dad had removed the bolt from the gun - I feel like I over reacted, but feel like I did the right thing.
Muh feelz. They're a feeler, not a thinker.
OP needs More thinking. Less feeling.

Those that feel are more prone to engage in behaviors with dire consequences, than those who think logically and critically.

That has to suck. Having the same logic that commies do. Perpetually ass hurt. Having to justify emotions/reactions.

OP goes unhinged. Literally gives credibility to leftist projection of the "stereotypical gun owner". Rather than seeing poor/unsafe practices, thinking, and approach in a kind and helpful manner, flips the fuck out with a muzzle loader no less.

Admits to HOA living... well. That right there sums alot up.

Surround yourself with supercilious boomers and anti vaxxer soccer moms... you begin to think and act like them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP goes unhinged. Literally gives credibility to leftist projection of the "stereotypical gun owner". Rather than seeing poor/unsafe practices, thinking, and approach in a kind and helpful manner, flips the fuck out with a muzzle loader no less.
View Quote
I was the one with the muzzleloader - the kid was behind a bolt gun - full size man kid...

In the moment - I did the right thing.  I did scare the dickens out of the kid and even the people down range...

It is time for me to get some space - I grew up on 3 acres - and this house just is not doing it for me any more - as a kid - I would walk out my back door and shoot a 22 pistol into a nice dirt back stop.  Had trees to set deer stands to practice archery from.  Snakes to hunt.

Kind of did the posting to let off some steam and as a PSA for others...be safe.

Red
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the funny things about these threads: The folks that inevitably show up  to advocate for unsafe practices invariably use their self-evaluated superior gun handling skills to justify their unsafe practices. In other words, "My sketchy gun handling is what makes me safe enough to handle guns sketchily." Or "Since I haven't had an ND yet, I don't need to follow the four rules."

Handling guns while others are downrange violates Rule 1.  If you agree you shouldn't handle a loaded gun while people are downrange, then you can't say it's OK to handle unloaded guns with people downrange without simultaneously saying it's OK to break Rule  1.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
You did good. Had you just casually said get behind the line the kid wouldn't remember it. Now he'll always remember the loud guy who yelled at him. Hopefully the kid does the same thing when he's older and someone does the same thing he did. One mistake is one too many when using guns.
I teach hunter education, one of the the things we always push is gun safety and the 4 rules. It helps most of the parents of these kids we teach are big on gun safety and work on their kids for years before bringing them in. Surprising how many kids come to the class and know the rules cold before we even start teaching.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have found a simple “you need to be behind the line when the range is cold” works almost every time.

View Quote
Verbal Judo.

"Sir, Sir, excuse me...  we need to remain behind the line and off the guns when there are people down range."  
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

• Item 1

• Item 2

A range day rant that turns into an HOA bash, unique.
View Quote
It could have been a trifecta if they rode off on a Harley.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I stripped down and re-painted my dad's old deer rifle.  I waited way too long and now the season opens this weekend.
I dread going to sight it in at the local DNR range
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#17]
you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Verbal Judo.

"Sir, Sir, excuse me...  we need to remain behind the line and off the guns when there are people down range."  
View Quote
Assertion without aggression is for pussies, yo.

Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think you over reacted. Action open and behind the line.... Pretty simple. ESPECIALLY with people down range!  Imagine if you kept your mouth shut and the kid wound up putting a round into his fathers back?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#20]
only time i've seen stupid shit at the range i frequent was when some new guy (never seen him there before or since) was messing with his new shotgun. the range was cold, about 6 guys downrange changing out targets/checking groupings/etc., and this guy is messing with his new toy. and by messing with it, i mean he's reloading it, looking down the sights, etc. now he's not pointing it directly AT the others downrange (they're 100 yards down, he's pointing it at the 50-yd targets just to the right of those), but it's still a place i wouldn't want to be with someone pointing any firearm in that direction; even a shotgun.

rso comes over, walks up to him, and tells him to lay the gun down and step back from it. rso then tells him what he did wrong and says, "do it again, and you're gone". and when they say "gone", they mean you leave and aren't allowed back.

this is a public range ($20 to shoot all day; but you can become a member) with all types...old guys, young guys, kids, women, first-time shooters, cops/ex-cops, ex-military, etc. most are pretty good and know the rules (you have to sign a waiver before you're allowed to shoot). but there's always that one time....and that's all it takes.

i like going early in the week as it's usually quiet and only a couple other people there. with 12 pistol bays and 12 rifle benches, there's plenty of room. saturdays are usually crowded; and sunday scan get crowded after church. but monday through thursday are gtg for some quiet time.

plus, the sell guns; they have an ffl and will do a transfer for you; you can buy a box of ammo and they'll loan you the gun to shoot it for free if you want to try out something different; they have all kinds of targets; and will loan you ear and eye pro if needed. i really like it and the guys that work there are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Rather than seeing poor/unsafe practices, thinking, and approach in a kind and helpful manner, flips the fuck out with a muzzle loader no less.
View Quote
It seems the OP had no way of knowing the kid wasn't about to touch off a round. If that had happened while he was casually sauntering over to the shooter, everybody would be shitting on him for not reacting quickly enough. The OP did just fine.

As for the Tier 1 Delta Operators who think it's kosher to handle guns on the line while others are down range, I'm glad I don't have to share a range with them. Honestly, that sounds like some "big boy rules" you'd see espoused by someone like James Yeager, not a responsible shooter who understands that mistakes happen and it's often those who think they are most experienced and comfortable around guns who make mistakes (such as Travis Haley's infamous AK ND).
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No - North Central part of the state...I am sure it is that way at all the free public shooting ranges....

A few years back - had a young girl flag the that Shit out of me - when I called her it her POS father - did not think she did anything wrong....

Red
View Quote
Ocala Forest?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
The last time I went to a range I had the guy in the lane next to me shoot my target stand.....twice. Then he had an ND into the bench, then another one into the ground and at that point I packed up, left and started looking at land for sale.

A good argument for making training mandatory for concealed carry permits can be made by observing people at gun ranges.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#24]
"Road Rage" at a gun range seems unwise. With CCW things, we always preach "de-escalate" "less confrontation"

Your thought that leaving your current area and moving elsewhere will be a magic cure for better ranges also seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Meh forget it, in the future one of those people may avoid an incident due to your reaction.
Public range I kinda expect shit like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#26]
So, OP, you became "unglued" as in hostile, yelling threats and using obscenities?
or became "unglued" and started yelling while trying to find the right words to get the message across?

HUGE difference between the two.

FWIW- I have volunteered as an RSO at several ranges for over 20 years. There is no such thing as "over-reacting" to what you observed. The trick is controlling your reaction so that TWO things happen;

1) The dangerous action or behavior ceases immediately.

2) The offender knows EXACTLY what they were doing wrong and HOW to keep from doing it again.

If you go straight into a tirade of obscenity laden threats, YOU come off as belligerent, NOT something likely to illicit compliance. As a result the offender is not listening to you but rather reacting to you defensively. None of this is stopping or correcting the problem.

It is not about somebody respecting your authoritah or about worrying about hurting somebody's feelings either. It is about using the most effective technique to STOP the threat then TEACH the solution.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, OP, you became "unglued" as in hostile, yelling threats and using obscenities?
or became "unglued" and started yelling while trying to find the right words to get the message across?

HUGE difference between the two.

FWIW- I have volunteered as an RSO at several ranges for over 20 years. There is no such thing as "over-reacting" to what you observed. The trick is controlling your reaction so that TWO things happen;

1) The dangerous action or behavior ceases immediately.

2) The offender knows EXACTLY what they were doing wrong and HOW to keep from doing it again.

If you go straight into a tirade of obscenity laden threats, YOU come off as belligerent, NOT something likely to illicit compliance. As a result the offender is not listening to you but rather reacting to you defensively. None of this is stopping or correcting the problem.

It is not about somebody respecting your authoritah or about worrying about hurting somebody's feelings either. It is about using the most effective technique to STOP the threat then TEACH the solution.
View Quote
What I yelled was get the "F" off of that gun!  very loud and no questions as to what needed to happen at the moment.

It was unreal as to how fast I reacted and acted - my fear was that someone down range was about to get shot or shot at...I jumped without thinking or hesitation. (kind of gives me some insight to what a RSO deals with).

In the end - the kid will not forget how important gun safety is.

REd
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As for the Tier 1 Delta Operators who think it's kosher to handle guns on the line while others are down range, I'm glad I don't have to share a range with them. Honestly, that sounds like some "big boy rules" you'd see espoused by someone like James Yeager, not a responsible shooter who understands that mistakes happen and it's often those who think they are most experienced and comfortable around guns who make mistakes (such as Travis Haley's infamous AK ND).
View Quote
Certainly true for a range open to the general public.

Honestly though, at some point I don't mind being down range of people I know. Having someone behind me on the firing line who is standing still with a hot rifle in a patrol carry or low ready position is a lot safer than some of the fire and movement drills we do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What I yelled was get the "F" off of that gun!  very loud and no questions as to what needed to happen at the moment.

It was unreal as to how fast I reacted and acted - my fear was that someone down range was about to get shot or shot at...I jumped without thinking or hesitation. (kind of gives me some insight to what a RSO deals with).

In the end - the kid will not forget how important gun safety is.

REd
View Quote
What if they flinched and fired a shot?  You could argue that they were looking through the scope and all was well until you screamed.
Why not run over and say calmly and assertively, "Excuse me, this is really important; there is a Cease Fire in place, and you absolutely cannot be touching a firearm right now."
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What if they flinched and fired a shot?  You could argue that they were looking through the scope and all was well until you screamed.
View Quote
Obviously is worth the risk in order to establish dominance.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wasn't trying to be an ass with my comment, but it is more of a "why escalate unnecessarily?" question.  I think the supposition is a bit over-the-top.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wasn't trying to be an ass with my comment, but it is more of a "why escalate unnecessarily?" question.  I think the supposition is a bit over-the-top.
View Quote
Meh... I’m pretty much just trying to be an ass.  People yell and scream in public spaces entirely too often these days.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I probably would have led with a low key, “ Hey Sport, ho about stepping behind the red line with me while folks are downrange?”

Followed with “ I know you are being safe, but the folks downrange are gout to feel a lot more secure if everyone is following the rules and no one is on a gun, bolt or no”
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Years before I was born my Dad's cousin was killed down range because somebody was fucking around with a gun on the bench.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Been in the same house for 21 years - only here for the boys....

They are in collage - so it will not be long.

Great neighborhood - just not for me any more...and it is a pain in the ass to pack my stuff and drive to my regular gun range or this publix range...

The only sad part about my regular gun range is that they only have a 75 yard rifle range...

All good,

Red
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A range day rant that turns into an HOA bash, unique.
Been in the same house for 21 years - only here for the boys....

They are in collage - so it will not be long.

Great neighborhood - just not for me any more...and it is a pain in the ass to pack my stuff and drive to my regular gun range or this publix range...

The only sad part about my regular gun range is that they only have a 75 yard rifle range...

All good,

Red
I'm glad someone in your family made it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Same as the range officer at my local range. Guy is an asshole and doesnt know how to talk to people.

Social skills suck
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#37]
You did good OP.  First thing to do is to STOP an unsafe act.

I've been told that touching a firearm while someone is down range is the #1 violation of our range rules.  Not using eye (and ear) protection must be #2 as that is the violation I see the most.

Our range rules are pretty simple and are posted on  every range.  The rules are from common sense and accident (or close calls) investigations.

I've never yelled or cussed at a person on the range but everyone follows the rules or leaves.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ok - the set up...

Public range w/ no RSO

Rifle bay with about six shooting stations, with targets set from 50 to 200 yards.

I was there working on my muzzleloader.  Cold range - you are supposed to behind the red line while people are down range.  I was sitting on a bench behind the line - measuring and loading tubes of black powder - Blackhorn 209 is some awesome stuff.

I look over and see a guy at the bench wrapped around his gun looking thru the scope wile people are down range - I cam unglued and yelled at the person - kid to get off of the gun and behind the line.  Freaked out the kid and the people down range....

The good news is that the dad had removed the bolt from the gun - I feel like I over reacted, but feel like I did the right thing.

I can not wait till my boys are out of the house - will rent out this HOA House and buy me some acreage and get away from the BS....

Red
View Quote
You're definitely one of the reasons I hate public ranges
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One time I was at an uncontrolled public range shooting my Garand. Some older guy pulled in. I unloaded my rifle and talked with him a bit and stood behind my bench while he went downrange and set up his target at about 20 yards.

After checking with him I started firing again. As I reached for the next clip I looked at the other side of the range and he was standing at his target checking his "grouping."

Shooting buckshot from a single shot shotgun

Of course I immediately safed my rifle and went over to talk with him. He seemed to think it wasn't a concern. I told him not to do that again and talked about range safety. He seemed offended that some "young whelp" had the gall to tell him not to do things. I started shooting again- keeping a close eye on dipshit on the other side of the range- and sure enough he fired a shot and wandered downrange once again without calling for the range to go cold.

I guess he couldn't figure out why his "grouping" sucked. I packed my gear and waited. After his buddy got there I waited until he stepped off the range, pulled my targets, and got the hell out of there.

TL;DR- CSB and people are 'tarded.
View Quote
I had just bought my first Enfield (#4 Mk 1*) and took it to the range the next.  Public range about an hour from where I live.   We were on the rifle range on the far right hand target.    There were some people who picked the lane next to us.  I loaded the rifle and was kneeling on the right side of the bench (shooting left handed) looking through the peep sight.  Since it was a new rifle I was getting used to it and the sight picture.    Then I started shooting.    About 4 or 5 rounds into shooting I heard yelling and stood up.  The idiots next to us had gone down range w/o letting us know and were standing right next to the target I was shooting.    Had to be a shock for them. I know it as for me.    The problem was there were two of us at our bench.    Nothing was ever called cold and both of us were looking at my target. Me through the peep sight and my shooting partner through a spotting scope.  Neither of us could see them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Its always best to yell at people when everyone is around firearms.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
You did not overreact.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Good smack down.

It is scary AF to be down range, turn around and see a dumb ass aiming.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok - the set up...

Public range w/ no RSO

Rifle bay with about six shooting stations, with targets set from 50 to 200 yards.

I was there working on my muzzleloader.  Cold range - you are supposed to behind the red line while people are down range.  I was sitting on a bench behind the line - measuring and loading tubes of black powder - Blackhorn 209 is some awesome stuff.

I look over and see a guy at the bench wrapped around his gun looking thru the scope wile people are down range - I cam unglued and yelled at the person - kid to get off of the gun and behind the line.  Freaked out the kid and the people down range....

I can not wait till my boys are out of the house - will rent out this HOA House and buy me some acreage and get away from the BS....

Red
Op is the reason you hate public ranges.... Not the guy fingerbanging a gun at the bench with others downrange, but the guy that put a stop to it.

The reason I don’t like them is because there are people that get pissed when they’re called out doing something retarded with a gun and try to justify why it’s okay.

This thread is full of those people.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Op is the reason you hate public ranges.... Not the guy fingerbanging a gun at the bench with others downrange, but the guy that put a stop to it.

The reason I don't like them is because there are people that get pissed when they're called out doing something retarded with a gun and try to justify why it's okay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok - the set up...

Public range w/ no RSO

Red

The reason I don't like them is because there are people that get pissed when they're called out doing something retarded with a gun and try to justify why it's okay.

There's a difference between calling someone out, and startling someone touching a gun when they shouldn't be.

It is, believe it or not, possible to correct someone's behavior without being stupid yourself.  The rules are there for a reason, same as the 4 main rules of firearm safety.  That doesn't mean as soon as someone breaks one the best thing to do is freak out and scream and swear at them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The reason I don’t like them is because there are people that get pissed when they’re called out doing something retarded with a gun and try to justify why it’s okay.
View Quote
Touching a disassembled gun while people are downrange is not “doing something retarded with a gun”.

This was a range etiquette violation, not a safety violation.  Don’t yell at people because they hurt your feelings.  That’s doing something retarded with (or without) a gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#48]
You didnt know the bolt was out. People get killed doing that shit. You did fine. He will be remembering that for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Even smart people do stupid or forgetful shit every now and then. Especially out of complacency from thinking they know and do everything right all the time. That's why those rules are not just for the lowest common denominator of shooters.

Of all the things to complain about that is disingenuous at best.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You didnt know the bolt was out. People get killed doing that shit. You did fine. He will be remembering that for a long time.
View Quote
This is why screaming at someone touching a gun with people down range is dumb.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top