Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Touching a rifle on the bench while people are downrange is grounds for membership suspension or revocation at our range.  There are signs all over stating that fact.  I had a guy starting to set up pulling rifles out of cases and such while I was downrange.   It was very disconcerting after having someone do that with loaded rifles.  I let him know if the right person had seen him he would have been kicked out.  He was rather embarrassed.   I hope he learned his lesson.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A range day rant that turns into an HOA bash, unique.
View Quote
Typical...rambling and incoherent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Happiness is your own range.....Pony-up or put up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok - the set up...

Public range w/ no RSO

Rifle bay with about six shooting stations, with targets set from 50 to 200 yards.

I was there working on my muzzleloader.  Cold range - you are supposed to behind the red line while people are down range.  I was sitting on a bench behind the line - measuring and loading tubes of black powder - Blackhorn 209 is some awesome stuff.

I look over and see a guy at the bench wrapped around his gun looking thru the scope wile people are down range - I cam unglued and yelled at the person - kid to get off of the gun and behind the line.  Freaked out the kid and the people down range....

The good news is that the dad had removed the bolt from the gun - I feel like I over reacted, but feel like I did the right thing.

I can not wait till my boys are out of the house - will rent out this HOA House and buy me some acreage and get away from the BS....

Red
View Quote

Damn, I did almost the same thing at a public range a few years ago.
Me, my son and grandson were shooting, this is a range on state managed land.
There was another dad and his son, he was about 13.
We all declared the range cold, son and grandson went to check targets and so did the other dad, I stayed at the bench to watch the guns since this is in a remote area.
As they are walking down range his son starts to finger fuck a .22 revolver, I looked at him and raised my voice to not touch the gun, you have people down range.
He looked at me and said it's unloaded, I said I don't care, let it lay.
His dad heard me and returned, got in his sons face and let him have it, I told him I was sorry, he said don't be, he screwed up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
one time at this deer camp i use to belong to, 30 year old guy misses a deer. Probably because he was drunk, but anyways decides to check his rifle in case his scope is "off". His dad (ex-leo) walks down to the stand they set up a hundred yards away and puts target up. Steps to the side of the target about 20 yards and tells his son "GO AHEAD" son fires a round off hand. Its about 7 inches off. Son makes adjustments and fires again with dad in same place. This time he was about 10 inches off and cant figure out why. I say that sounded different, is that different ammo. So he looks and sure enough different manufacturer. Its a wonder someone didnt get killed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point - it is more Monday morning quarterbacking than anything.

So at this point it is more of a PSA and a reminder about gun safety/range etiquette.

All good - thank you for all the replies.

Red
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No - North Central part of the state...I am sure it is that way at all the free public shooting ranges....

A few years back - had a young girl flag the that Shit out of me - when I called her it her POS father - did not think she did anything wrong....

Red
View Quote
Years ago I went to one west of 75, south of 10 in the woods near lake city.  If that was the one you were at ...... damn scary place
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Public gun ranges drive me crazy sometimes.

Often times it's groups of new shooters. I don't have an issue with newbies, I do have an issue with people that refuse to listen to the most simplest of commands.

We have a similar red line deal that you stand behind when the range goes cold and you retrieve your targets down range.

The RSO will literally repeat no less than 3X "Do not step past the red line and/or touch your gun when the alarm sounds."

Almost every time some dipshit immediately goes to their rifle on the bench when the bell sounds. It's mindblowing how oblivious people are.

I'm friends with a few RSO's and the amount of stores involving dipshits that don't listen is just terrifying.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Touching a disassembled gun while people are downrange is not “doing something retarded with a gun”.

This was a range etiquette violation, not a safety violation.  Don’t yell at people because they hurt your feelings.  That’s doing something retarded with (or without) a gun.
View Quote
Troll somewhere else dude,this is a firearms safety discussion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Troll somewhere else dude,this is a firearms safety discussion.
View Quote
No, it isn’t.

It’s a fudd range nazi circle jerk.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Touching a disassembled gun while people are downrange is not “doing something retarded with a gun”.

This was a range etiquette violation, not a safety violation.  Don’t yell at people because they hurt your feelings.  That’s doing something retarded with (or without) a gun.
View Quote
Jeff Cooper's Four Rules are:

1. All guns are always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Okay.

But this was a bolt-action with no bolt in it.  It’s a stick.  It might as well be a picture of gun.  Touching it with people downrange doesn’t compromise anyone’s safety in any way.  Don’t yell at people because they hurt your feelings.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Okay.

But this was a bolt-action with no bolt in it.  It's a stick.  It might as well be a picture of gun.  Touching it with people downrange doesn't compromise anyone's safety in any way.  Don't yell at people because they hurt your feelings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

But this was a bolt-action with no bolt in it.  It's a stick.  It might as well be a picture of gun.  Touching it with people downrange doesn't compromise anyone's safety in any way.  Don't yell at people because they hurt your feelings.
It's still a bad idea.  Handling guns while people are downrange is a BAD idea.   It doesn't matter how safe you think it is.  Other people may not be able to see that and may not agree w/ you.  I know I don't want some idiot handling a rifle w/ or w/o a bolt at the bench while I'm downrange.  That's right up there w/ looking at people through the scope but it's safe because there is no bolt in it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's still a bad idea.  Handling guns while people are downrange is a BAD idea.   It doesn't matter how safe you think it is.  Other people may not be able to see that and may not agree w/ you.  I know I don't want some idiot handling a rifle w/ or w/o a bolt at the bench while I'm downrange.  That's right up there w/ looking at people through the scope but it's safe because there is no bolt in it!
View Quote
Yelling at strangers is a bad idea too, especially when guns are around.

De-escalate.... until you can’t.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Scaring the crap out of people when they have a gun in their hand is not the right approach, you should have walked over to the individual and had him set the gun down and explain what he was doing is wrong and people get hurt and killed by practicing stupids acts as he was.  Never holler when at the range, walk to a person calmly and get the handle under control and the gun out of the persons hands.  Then use the rest of your time educating the individual who was in the wrong.
View Quote
This.  You could have startled him into firing a round.  Something you learn about as a RSO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Okay.

But this was a bolt-action with no bolt in it.  It’s a stick.  It might as well be a picture of gun.  Touching it with people downrange doesn’t compromise anyone’s safety in any way.  Don’t yell at people because they hurt your feelings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

But, the OP couldn't see that it had no bolt until the kid stepped away from it after he was yelled at and reminded of the rules.

Lots of folks have been killed with "unloaded" guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No - North Central part of the state...I am sure it is that way at all the free public shooting ranges....

A few years back - had a young girl flag the that Shit out of me - when I called her it her POS father - did not think she did anything wrong....

Red
View Quote
Shame you weren't out there Saturday.  You'd have ran into me

It was slam packed Saturday though...

People are idiots.  Their kids are generally much more of an idiot.  Weren't taught proper.  Would I fly off the handle at a kid?  No, I'd tell them to back off the line.  An adult?  Fuck 'em.

There's a reason I typically like to take someone with me to that range.

Hit me up, we can make a range day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.  You could have startled him into firing a round.  Something you learn about as a RSO.
View Quote
This.

I’ve worked a lot as a range officer in stuff like 3-gun and “action shooting” games, which involve a lot of movement, shots near 180 degrees, switching guns, reloading... all on the clock.  Shit can go sideways in a hurry.  Until it’s time to actually physically intervene (i.e. grab a shooter’s arm/gun, which thankfully I’ve never had to do), you absolutely have to stay calm, and give commands slowly, smoothly, and in a non-threatening manner.

Assertion without aggression.  If you can’t manage it, you don’t need to be in any position of authority.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Public ranges suck; there's always idiots. Fake black powder sucks. Go to Graf and Sons and get get some real black powder.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Obviously is worth the risk in order to establish dominance.
View Quote
Obviously you still don't get it. And most replies in this thread agree with me. You're not really contributing anything to this thread. Might I respectfully suggest you go be annoying somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Public ranges suck; there's always idiots. Fake black powder sucks. Go to Graf and Sons and get get some real black powder.
View Quote
@OldHenryRifle

Yes I agree...

But

over two weekends - 25 shots with no cleaning, swabbing or anything....Blackhorn 209 is some sweet stuff.

Red
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top