User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

are you deaf, dumb and blind?
View Quote
My granddaughter came home from school when she was around 7 and told us about how she had learned about Helen Keller. I told about how she had grown up to be a champion pin ball player.

She didn't believe me so I told her there was a song about her and played pinball wizard for her.

That night she went to her other Grandma's house for a couple days.

The next day I got a phone call from her other Grandma praising me for being the king prankster because Lily had been talking all day about how Helen Keller was a "ping pong wizard" and that there was a song about her.
They had just figured out what she was talking about and couldn't quit laughing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite table is Victory! by Gottlieb. Have you played it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’m going to guess that the pro pinball circuit is primarily 40 something men who grew up playing. You don’t hear too much about kids playing pinball or many new machines coming out these days.
View Quote
Mostly you'd be right.   But there are absolutely some great youngins.  Think 12-17 year olds who have been exposed to it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats a restored WH20 go for?

New playfields, legs, mantis/cliffy protectors, decals/paint, coin mech.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the Pinside Forum https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/list the ARFCOM of pinball forums, or are there better (and friendlier) places on the net where enthusiasts and wanna-be's hang out?

My mom has a 1956-era Gotlieb 'Easy Aces' machine that needs some TLC and restoration - I've thought of listing it for sale on the Pinside 'buy and sell' forum, but they are brutal there with criticizing the prices that people are asking for vintage machines, both on that site and on Craigslist.

Is there somewhere else that vintage pinball enthusiasts gather to buy and sell machines, or are Pinside, eBay, and Craigslist the 'go-to' spots for that?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The European players often times have jerseys

Americans are usually jeans or shorts with a pinball themed t-shirt.

I dress myself.  Usually jeans and a polo, with comfortable shoes.
View Quote
F yeah.  You need to - from a marketing standpoint - dress yourself in the most absurd American dressage (ha) possible.  I think the old dudes and mullet hanger-ons can assist.

You need to set yourself apart.  LOL, I knew my marketing degree would pay for it self some day.  If only, I could find my customer's niche.  PM for details.  Low agent fees.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
What is your high score on the old Windows Space Cadet game?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My favorite table is Victory! by Gottlieb. Have you played it?
View Quote
Yes.  Who doesn't love Indy themed machines?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To move tournaments along.  Imagine how long a game of Addams Family would be with every player in a group of 4 getting essentially unlimited balls?  It could literally take hours for a top ranked group of 4 to finally finish a game.
View Quote
F-14 Tomcat with extra ball/flight insurance disabled, a steep & well-waxed playfield.  

I'm pretty bad at most pins, but I'd love to have a classic Steve Ritchie game or two.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your engineering training seep into your gameplay?

i.e. as the ball is bouncing and whirling about, do you start thinking about things like radius of gyration?

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Whats a restored WH20 go for?

New playfields, legs, mantis/cliffy protectors, decals/paint, coin mech.
View Quote
Actually restored, with all of the above, but not by a recognized pro restorer? $5k-$6.5k.  Maybe a little less these days considering companies are putting out new play fields and plastics like never before.

By a recognized industry pro restorer?  $10k+.  That's new cabinet/head, literally everything replaced, re-wired, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember playing on a KISS pinball machine when our local general store got one back in the late 70s. Looked like this.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to school with a kid who was a top ranked pinball player. I think it was 8th grade. Don't remember his name but he was on the local news station and that's how we found out. He had never told any of us. We CALLED him Pinball King after that. He only went to our school for a few months. Wonder whatever happened to him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.
I remember some of the 'hacks' from the 70's to play for 'free'.
A strategically bent paper clip inserted into the correct vent hole, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is the Pinside Forum https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/list the ARFCOM of pinball forums, or are there better (and friendlier) places on the net where enthusiasts and wanna-be's hang out?

My mom has a 1956-era Gotlieb 'Easy Aces' machine that needs some TLC and restoration - I've thought of listing it for sale on the Pinside 'buy and sell' forum, but they are brutal there with criticizing the prices that people are asking for vintage machines, both on that site and on Craigslist.

Is there somewhere else that vintage pinball enthusiasts gather to buy and sell machines, or are Pinside, eBay, and Craigslist the 'go-to' spots for that?
View Quote
It basically is...and you're right about them being pretty brutal.  Google rec games pinball used to be good, but is pretty much dead now.

These days, most games change hands amongst local collectors and enthusiasts.

Early or mid em's don't have nearly the following that late model em's and ss games have because the players who love them are dying off and the play is usually slower and considerably more luck based.

That doesn't mean someone won't be interested though.  Shoot me a pm as you're local and I'll ask around the local community.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Are all the balls weighed prior to play beginning?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does your engineering training seep into your gameplay?

i.e. as the ball is bouncing and whirling about, do you start thinking about things like radius of gyration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ViEeDPVL0
View Quote
Game geometry and ball physics/spin?  Absolutely.

As a side note, the best game designers understand game geometry and making shots and flow feel "right/satisfying"
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually restored, with all of the above, but not by a recognized pro restorer? $5k-$6.5k.  Maybe a little less these days considering companies are putting out new play fields and plastics like never before.

By a recognized industry pro restorer?  $10k+.  That's new cabinet/head, literally everything replaced, re-wired, etc.
View Quote
Chad Keller did the restore, rebuilt the pop bumpers, old boards and wiring. New mountains and ramps though.

I bought it for 7500 years ago and never even played it, got out of pinball awhile back and it just sat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I always liked smacking the ball thing as opposed to pulling it back and letting it fly. Is that a legit move?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember playing on a KISS pinball machine when our local general store got one back in the late 70s. Looked like this.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/kiss/kiss_1.jpg
View Quote
The original is kind of "meh" to me, but Kiss fans love them for the theme.

Stern made a Kiss machine a couple of years ago that has the same style of art as the original, with much better gameplay.  It's really fun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I went to school with a kid who was a top ranked pinball player. I think it was 8th grade. Don't remember his name but he was on the local news station and that's how we found out. He had never told any of us. We killed him Pinball King after that. He only went to our school for a few months. Wonder whatever happened to him.
View Quote
If he still plays, I probably know him, or of him.  One of the world's best right now is 15.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you ever get this multi ball and hit the jackpot (my favorite p-ball game of all time)

The Addams Family pinball - Awesome multiball sequence - You have to see this!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are all the balls weighed prior to play beginning?
View Quote
Not weighed, but inspected for pitting or rust because they damage the playfield and components.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chad Keller did the restore, rebuilt the pop bumpers, old boards and wiring. New mountains and ramps though.

I bought it for 7500 years ago and never even played it, got out of pinball awhile back and it just sat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keller restores bring big bucks.  I'm sure the machine is drool worthy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did you ever get this multi ball and hit the jackpot (my favorite p-ball game of all time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkoP3jLjH3U
View Quote
Yes.  Many, many times.  "Super Jackpot!"

Cradle ball on left flipper, shoot thing ramp, bang the side ramp from the upper flipper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Where can I find an OXO machine from the early 1970s?

I have heard these older electronic machines are nearly impossible to keep in repair, is that true?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I always wanted an Elvira pinball machine.. but too much coin :(
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where can I find an OXO machine from the early 1970s?

I have heard these older electronic machines are nearly impossible to keep in repair, is that true?
View Quote
I see them for sale from time to time.  Check Facebook marketplace or Craigslist, or ask around the local pinball community.

I wouldn't say so, the analogy I'd make would be that electro mechanical machines are like carberated cars, and solid states are like fuel injected.  Once you get them running correctly, they generally run good for a long time.  They are commercial coin op machines that were meant to be on location earning for their owners, after all

Older electro mechanical machines benefit from being played.  Everything stays free moving that way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I always wanted an Elvira pinball machine.. but too much coin :(
View Quote
The rumor is that Stern is releasing the third in the series this year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Attack from Mars or Revenge from Mars?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cradle ball on left flipper, shoot thing ramp, bang the side ramp from the upper flipper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkoP3jLjH3U

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]
First job was in a pinball arcade on the boardwalk in NJ. I've been looking for a machine for a while. I always preferred the Bally machines.

ETA: Cleaned a shitload of puke off of the glass :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do you own a grand national?

Are there pinball groupies?
View Quote
That want to get banged on a pinball machine?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
AFM all day, and six ways to Sunday.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct.

Was a test
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#36]
So have you played out here, OP?

http://www.museumofpinball.org/about-us/

(ETA...Museum of Pinball in SoCal, out in the desert fairly close to Palm Springs, has 1,100 machines, and I thought they opened it up once a month to filthy casuals to just play, but I could have it confused with another one closer to LA in the Inland Empire.)

Seems like there are a few other types of pinball meccas open around the country as well, one outside of San Francisco as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Are you willing to sweep the leg to win?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#38]
So what machines do you play at home?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Well OP. . . . I am a semiprofessional race car driver and an amateur tattoo artist

Talladega Nights - Reese Bobby
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes.  Good for learning game specific rules.  Definitely not the same though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adams family or twilight zone what one do you enjoy more?

I go back and forth.  I've owned both in the past.  Wish I had them back with what they cost nowadays.

Have you ever tried a good pin emulator in a full size cabinet?
Yes.  Good for learning game specific rules.  Definitely not the same though.
Not the same but from what I have seen about 80-90% of the way.  Is visual pinball still the best physics?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Had one of these growing up. best machine ever,3 playing levels
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you own a grand national?

Are there pinball groupies?
Most tournaments and pinball shows/expos are held at large hotels and conference centers.  You see a lot of familiar faces.  The after parties in the hotel bars can get pretty wild.  I've heard some stories.

Not on the same level though, as an ex pro hockey player buddy of mine, and "puck sluts", haha.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had one of these growing up. best machine ever,3 playing levels
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDMwMA==/z/M3AAAOxy4dNSs~NO/$_3.JPG?set_id=2
View Quote
Loved that game
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#44]
kingpin and contact  were  the all time best
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#45]
How's your wrist, is it supple?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I used to play a Starship Troopers pinball at the laundromat, it had bugs and dropships and stuff.  I was always surprised somebody went through that much effort for a tie in to that movie.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So have you played out here, OP?

http://www.museumofpinball.org/about-us/

(ETA...Museum of Pinball in SoCal, out in the desert fairly close to Palm Springs, has 1,100 machines, and I thought they opened it up once a month to filthy casuals to just play, but I could have it confused with another one closer to LA in the Inland Empire.)

Seems like there are a few other types of pinball meccas open around the country as well, one outside of San Francisco as well.
View Quote
I didn't look, but I assume you're referring to Banning.  It has legendary status.

On a side note, It Never Drains In Southern California (INDISC) is taking place next week.  Because of a family commitment, I will not be able to make it out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Cedar Point in Ohio has (or had) an entire building full of arcade games.  When you walked toward the back the more vintage the games got.  Any vintage favorites? I was stuck on this Williams baseball, not really even a pinball game, but stole a lot of my quarters

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Is the former NBA player still on the circuit? Addams Family is my all time favorite.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If he still plays, I probably know him, or of him.  One of the world's best right now is 15.
View Quote
Well he would be like 38 or 39 years old now.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top