User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what machines do you play at home?
View Quote
Right now, World Cup Soccer, Jack*Bot, Guns 'n' Roses, and  just got a walking Walking Dead.  I'm thinking about getting a Simpsons Pinball Party, but it's never used in tournaments because of inherently long ball times.  I play for "fun", and I play for "competition".  Two entirely different styles of play.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
... that's pretty cool! In my youth I used to be pretty darn good at Foosball. Played and won several tournaments. Was never ranked as high as you though
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
tommy can you hear me?

whats the rules like when you tilt? i used to tilt the machine all the time
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not the same but from what I have seen about 80-90% of the way.  Is visual pinball still the best physics?
View Quote
Haven't really kept up recently.  People still seem to really like it though, and now along with PFX3
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That want to get banged on a pinball machine?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you own a grand national?

Are there pinball groupies?
Jodie Foster didn't. I'm probably going to hell for that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I used to play a Starship Troopers pinball at the laundromat, it had bugs and dropships and stuff.  I was always surprised somebody went through that much effort for a tie in to that movie.

http://www.pinball.center/media/image/noflix6.jpg
View Quote
Manufacturers were often betting that a movie, and hence a tied in movie themed machine would be a hit.  The licensing for machines is usually complicated, but from my understanding, a discount was given back in the day because of the crossover advertising/promotion.

Often times, however, the pinball machine ended up being a bigger hit than the movie it was based on.  The Shadow, Congo, Demolition Man come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have Big Brave growing up. Keeping it running was what helped develop my love for electromechanical things and I learned 120v can tingle
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
tommy can you hear me?

View Quote
Just like when you're playing and tilt any other time: immediate end of ball, no bonus collect.  If you "tilt-through" (from shaking the machine during your bonus countdown, causing a tilt warning or actual tilt for the following player, immeadiate loss for that game, no matter what your standing was prior.). This happens when players "rage tilt" or abuse the machines.  Nudging is part of the game, and you're not playing if you're not getting warnings/tilts, but punching the glass or machine out of anger is a dq'able event.  Even out of the entire tournament.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
tommy can you hear me?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Had one years ago.  Great machine.  Still a top ranked machine.  Expect to shell out $7k for a nice one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you own the Twillight Zone machine?  Cuz I want that.
Had one years ago.  Great machine.  Still a top ranked machine.  Expect to shell out $7k for a nice one.
My FIL has one in awesome condition despite the grandkids going ham on it constantly (2, 4, 5, and 9).  I wonder if he has any idea what it's worth
Attachment Attached File

I grew up with one of these...(not my pic)
Attachment Attached File

It's been sitting in storage for like 6 years now
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My FIL has one in awesome condition despite the grandkids going ham on it constantly (2, 4, 5, and 9).  I wonder if he has any idea what it's worth
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/Attach21607_20190102_190932_jpg-794144.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/pp-machine_jpg-794146.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you own the Twillight Zone machine?  Cuz I want that.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/Attach21607_20190102_190932_jpg-794144.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/331964/pp-machine_jpg-794146.JPG

I wouldn't worry too much about the youngins "chimp flipping" it.  It's a commercial coin op device designed to take the abuse of drunks and kids alike

Interestingly enough, I play a bobby ore every week at league that has had the regular ball replaced with a power ball from a TZ.  We call it bobby ore's power ball.  Entirely different game like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I would own more, but having a pinball tech for repairs in an absolute necessity.
There's a good reason pinball owners are like boat owners.  Best days are when you buy and then re-sell them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would own more, but having a pinball tech for repairs in an absolute necessity.
There's a good reason pinball owners are like boat owners.  Best days are when you buy and then re-sell them.
View Quote
I do all my own work on my games.  I try to buy non-working/booting machines on the cheap, and fix them up.  When one of my games breaks, I can usually fix it 90% of the time in a few minutes with the small inventory of common parts I keep on hand.  Springs, rubbers, switches, and diodes are pretty common among all the manufactures.  A lot of times it's a simple switch or or other adjustment.  So no parts needed.

I enjoy working on them almost as much as playing them.  They have onboard diagnostics and switch tests, it's not THAT bad...part availability has never been better, or cheaper.  Even rare and uncommon game specific parts are seemingly available all the time now.

In the event I can't troubleshoot or fix a machine, I can call a few guys I'm tight with and they can usually talk me through what to look for.  In the event there's a board issue I don't feel confident working on, there's a local guy to me that does, or there TONS of people you can mail a board to for a minimal fee.  Or you can buy aftermarket boards these days.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a Bally's 8 Ball Deluxe and a Mr & Mrs Pacman back in the 80's in England, bought from my local pub

I had convinced my wife that my kids would love it when they were old enough to reach it to play (Kids born 81 & 82)

I included them in the sale of the house when we moved in 88'ish.......My kids never did play them, but I and my buddies had 1000's of hours of fun out of them

I still head for the pinball machines whenever I'm out with my kids or grandkids
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you look down on Fortnight players?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had a Bally's 8 Ball Deluxe and a Mr & Mrs Pacman back in the 80's in England, bought from my local pub

I had convinced my wife that my kids would love it when they were old enough to reach it to play (Kids born 81 & 82)

I included them in the sale of the house when we moved in 88'ish.......My kids never did play them, but I and my buddies had 1000's of hours of fun out of them

I still head for the pinball machines whenever I'm out with my kids or grandkids
View Quote
"Quit talking, and start chalking!"

I love EBD, and many of the games designed by George Christian, including your Mr and mrs pacman, but especially Frontier, and Dolly Parton.  Yes, Dolly Parton had a pinball machine themed around her .

There is something so satisfying about inline drop targets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My granddaughter came home from school when she was around 7 and told us about how she had learned about Helen Keller. I told about how she had grown up to be a champion pin ball player.

She didn't believe me so I told her there was a song about her and played pinball wizard for her.

That night she went to her other Grandma's house for a couple days.

The next day I got a phone call from her other Grandma praising me for being the king prankster because Lily had been talking all day about how Helen Keller was a "ping pong wizard" and that there was a song about her.
They had just figured out what she was talking about and couldn't quit laughing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you deaf, dumb and blind?
My granddaughter came home from school when she was around 7 and told us about how she had learned about Helen Keller. I told about how she had grown up to be a champion pin ball player.

She didn't believe me so I told her there was a song about her and played pinball wizard for her.

That night she went to her other Grandma's house for a couple days.

The next day I got a phone call from her other Grandma praising me for being the king prankster because Lily had been talking all day about how Helen Keller was a "ping pong wizard" and that there was a song about her.
They had just figured out what she was talking about and couldn't quit laughing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
What the best strategy to keep the fucking ball from going right down the middle between the two fucking flippers with no way to stop it? Or to prevent the fucking ball from bouncing off one thing and going down the fucking side channel? Fucking pinball.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do you look down on Fortnight players?
View Quote
No.

Sadly, eSports has a MUCH larger player base, and hence, prize pool than pro level pinball.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What the best strategy to keep the fucking ball from going right down the middle between the two fucking flippers with no way to stop it? Or to prevent the fucking ball from bouncing off one thing and going down the fucking side channel? Fucking pinball.
View Quote
Slap saves are the best way for unavoidable center drains, but then you risk putting the ball back out of control.  The path of the ball doesn't change, but you can move the playfield underneath it by skillfully nudging the machine to get a piece of a flipper on it.  Sort of like pulling the tablecloth out from underneath a set dinner table.

The real secret though, is being able to read the table and either:

A: being able to anticipate the way the ball will bounce off a certain target or post, and either avoid ever having the ball get there in the first place;

B: or anticipating when to nudge the machine beforehand to put additional motion into the ball so it avoids a center drain.   That's the true skill aspect of pinball.  Designers absolutely design death shots into their games.  They punish missed shots.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an Avengers Pro machine.
Any pro tips?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Am I the only one who loved the Capt Fantastic machine?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have an Avengers Pro machine.
Any pro tips?
View Quote
As with most modern sterns, stack multiballs...

Not super duper familiar with it, but as I recall, complete almost all your required shots to get each multiball going, but before you start it, move onto the next, so forth and so on, then, once you get a few of them qualified, drop a shot into the Hulk saucer to start them all together.  Those 250k jackpots will now be worth millions for each one you collect.  I want to say the last time I played one, I ended up with a 75,000,000 score.  It was a 20 minute game.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Longest running AMA in arfcom history where op actually responded to all questions about the subject?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy plays  in competitions
He comes to Dallas (Frisco) every year
I went with him once. It was very fun.

If you aren’t a weirdo, next time you are in Frisco send me
A PM and we will get some BBQ
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad and I used to play High Speed (Williams) a lot when I was a kid.  A couple years ago I found one on CL a guy "restored" with LED's.  I purchased it for $1400.  Still a fun machine to play on.  Are there any general pinball repair books or machine specific repair manuals in case it breaks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you own a grand national?

Are there pinball groupies?
Probably where South Park got the idea:

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool thread. I had no idea competitive pinball was a thing.

My mom's second husband had a Pirates of the Caribbean machine. Would have been around '07 or '08 he bought it. Do you know the game I'm talking about? One of the bonuses was releasing the Kraken.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
@EvanWilliams

I imagine he plays at TPF.  It's a big tourney.

Define weirdo

I drink lots of bourbon, I shoot tons of guns, I smoke lots of meat, I drive a pickup, and I voted for DJT.

I've met quite a few arfomers before, actually a bunch at last year's SHOT show (I consult for a local firearm magazine manufacturer (ASC) on the side...not so much anymore, unfortunately, because of a growing family, but I'm still friendly with the owner.). I guess I am a weirdo...

Next time I'm down that way, I'll shoot you a p.m.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]
What would a vintage Hugh Hefner playboy machine be worth? Would it help the value if owned by an actual playboy bunny?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My dad and I used to play High Speed (Williams) a lot when I was a kid.  A couple years ago I found one on CL a guy "restored" with LED's.  I purchased it for $1400.  Still a fun machine to play on.  Are there any general pinball repair books or machine specific repair manuals in case it breaks?

Thanks
View Quote
Love me some HS!  Great game, revolutionized pinball as we know it.  First game to really tell a story and have an objective.  It's rumored Steve Ritchie's next game will be HSIII...

There's tons of resources out there for pinball repair.  Google bally/williams system 11 repair, and you'll be well on your way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cool thread. I had no idea competitive pinball was a thing.

My mom's second husband had a Pirates of the Caribbean machine. Would have been around '07 or '08 he bought it. Do you know the game I'm talking about? One of the bonuses was releasing the Kraken.
View Quote
It's alive and well, and growing.

Very familiar with it.  It was practically brand new then.

A newer manufacturer, Jersey Jack Pinball, who I would argue is now "established" in the industry, has the rights to PotC now, and just released it a little while ago.  I've only played the pre-production test games at pinball shows, but it's epic in a great way!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you think you will ever get the chance to see a woman naked?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#34]
How much pussy can you pull playing pinball?
I want pics of groupies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@EvanWilliams

Define weirdo

I drink lots of bourbon, I shoot tons of guns, I smoke lots of meat, I drive a pickup, and I voted for DJT.

I've met quite a few arfomers before, actually a bunch at last year's SHOT show (I consult for a local firearm magazine manufacturer (ASC) on the side...not so much anymore, unfortunately, because of a growing family, but I'm still friendly with the owner.). I guess I am a weirdo...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@EvanWilliams

Define weirdo

Please do
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What would a vintage Hugh Hefner playboy machine be worth? Would it help the value if owned by an actual playboy bunny?
View Quote
Bally Playboys aren't really worth a whole lot...figure $750-$1250 depending on condition.  They are worth what they are because of theme, not really the gameplay.

A buddy of mine bought games off mike tyson when he lived local, other than taking a pic with him and the machine, it doesn't increase the value, haha
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rather than making a mom/wife/girlfriend joke, I'll err to the side of caution.  I'm typing this from my phone from my wife's birthing suite at the hospital.  Hence the time to reply, and the delay of some responses.  So yes, I've seen a real life woman naked, at least once.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rather than making a mom/wife/girlfriend joke, I'll err to the side of caution.  I'm typing this from my phone from my wife's birthing suite at the hospital.  Hence the time to reply, and the delay of some responses.  So yes, I've seen a real life woman naked, at least once.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bridgeport Hospital?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does that mean you guys just had a baby, or are very shortly expecting one? If so, CONGRATS!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How much pussy can you pull playing pinball?
I want pics of groupies.
View Quote
There are certainly some attractive women in the women's divisions.  Some certainly plowable.  As far as groupies, as previously stated, I guess they exist, but they usually play as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bridgeport Hospital?
View Quote
About 50 miles northeast
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Does that mean you guys just had a baby, or are very shortly expecting one? If so, CONGRATS!
View Quote
Very shortly, hopefully.  Been here since 6 a.m.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
About 50 miles northeast
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bridgeport Hospital?
About 50 miles northeast
Is that still Connecticut ?

ETA
Yep

It seemed small to me. I trained at Bridgeport Hospital and went to grad school at SCSU

Good
Luck and best wishes
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well hot damn! An awesome thread just got even better!

Do you know boy or girl yet, or is it gonna be a surprise?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Which machine would you pick if you could only ever play one?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I'v loved pinball since I was a kid. Back when arcades were still around I played High Speed. Later at work we got a rotation of machines. Mostly Williams, Fish Tales, Adam's Family. I always held the top score. Williams seemed to be the best games. A long time ago the local bar had an Adam's Family. I was playing one night and the game lasted hours. I toured the house 3 times on one ball ! Now I'm retired and bored.

What's it take or how does one start to play competitively ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
We know.  Don't want to count our eggs before they hatch though.  Back to pinball!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We know.  Don't want to count our eggs before they hatch though.  Back to pinball!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you clarify a little more about tilting the table? You mentioned if you don't get tilt warnings, you probably aren't playing hard enough.

That confused me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Which machine would you pick if you could only ever play one?
View Quote
I'm asked this frequently, and never really have an answer, as my mood changes.  Sometimes I really like the earlier/simpler, but very challenging games from the 70s/80s, that are just very satisfying to shoot and have that "just one more game" feeling down.  Other times, I want a super deep ruleset game like the newer sterns or jjp have.  Sometimes I love the golden age 90's Bally/Williams, Data Easts, and Gottliebs.  It depends on the mood.

Right now, I'd say...gah!  I don't know.  Maybe Fishtales or Bram Stoker's Dracula.  Not super deep ruleset wise, but super fun, super brutal, and super addictive.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top