Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend it while it’s still worth something!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#2]
War is the answer Freddy. War.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut spending and raise taxes.
View Quote

Lol taxes have been going up. Its the spending part thats the problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We’re in the “slowly at first” part of Hemingway’s bankruptcy tale.  Right now the non-western part of the world is moving away from our petrodollar.  Eventually that will reduce demand for the US dollar and we’ll reach the “suddenly” stage of bankruptcy.  Poof, US currency won’t be worth anything.

When that will happen is impossible to predict.  Probably not today or tomorrow, might be this year or next year, or 50 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We’re in the “slowly at first” part of Hemingway’s bankruptcy tale.  Right now the non-western part of the world is moving away from our petrodollar.  Eventually that will reduce demand for the US dollar and we’ll reach the “suddenly” stage of bankruptcy.  Poof, US currency won’t be worth anything.

When that will happen is impossible to predict.  Probably not today or tomorrow, might be this year or next year, or 50 years.

this.

other brand new arf thread here:

BRICS, initially dominated by China and currently presided over by Vladimir Putin, officially added Saudi Arabia after a public announcement by Saudi TV, following the January 1st admission of Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, and the UAE.  This doubles the previous membership of Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa to ten countries.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop worrying OP, it's totally worth it to save democracy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A thoughtless moran called me “Doomer” in a recent investing thread, merely for pointing out that our investments will have to out pace inflation.  

Thing is, my life provides a special insight that nobody else has.  

I spend half my time in places where $1= 5 or 40 or 1000.   I don’t have to conceptualize our future, I live it everyday.  A nice dinner for two, might be 100,000.   And you know what?    Life goes on as normal.  
It’s not the SHTF scenario pictured by traditional Doomers.  
It’s just everyday life, where you get paid 800 times more, but everything is 1000 times more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
it's all part of the plan to get us to digital currency.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone here posted this book a while back in another doomer inflation thread. It's a little long winded, but spot on in it's advice. Buying hard assets seems to be the best way to protect against what's inevitably coming.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I spend half my time in places where $1= 5 or 40 or 1000.   I don’t have to conceptualize our future, I live it everyday.  A nice dinner for two, might be 100,000.   And you know what?    Life goes on as normal.  
It’s just everyday life, where you get paid 800 times more, but everything is 1000 times more expensive.
View Quote

You are still buying things in dollars.  In countries where the annual wage is $5K.  It might be a million baht or whatever, but it is still $5K US dollars.

Inflation does destroy wealth and countries.  This is just part of the Obama/Soros plan to destroy America.  A massive new burden on the welfare structure and out of control spending to force hyper-inflation.

The ONLY thing that we have going for us is that most of the world is worse.  But we are catching up very quickly.  By design.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

People don't understand things some times.  Lots of currencies around the world have collapsed, but life goes on, as you point out.  It goes on with you losing purchasing power though.  The UK didn't sink underwater when the Pound lost reserve currency status.  The US won't either, though there will be parts that aren't fun.  There will also be new opportunities.  For example, Richard Branson became a billionaire, in spite of the problems with the pound.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The last time we had a budget surplus was the late 90's. We've had three major tax cuts since then.

To get things right we're going to have to cut things like Social Security, Medicare, and defense spending.

But we also need to raise taxes.

I don't remember the 1990s as having a crushing tax burden where everyone was living in poverty. How about going back to those tax rates, or something like it? I mean, everybody wants to Make America Great Again, so what were the tax rates like back when America was Great? Shit lot higher than under Bill Clinton. Maybe start there.
View Quote

Nope.  We had an accounting surplus for in 1999, but the debt was higher than the year before.  Neat trick, but government accounting allows it.  The entirety of the surplus (for what it was), was due to capital gains taxes from one of the most overpriced markets in history.  Today's market valuations are even bigger.

Raising taxes is never the answer, you are just feeding the problem.

Clinton had nothing like the financial wreckage that we are in now, on any debt to GDP type of measure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those 90s taxes were cap gains from the dotcom boom.  America's glory days was the 1950s, when tax rates were high, (but almost every one else had their industry bombed).  Again, tax rates are not tax revenues.  Government needs to spend less, not tax more.
View Quote

Agreed, with a correction.  Tax rates may have been high but they were offset with thousands of loopholes and on a wider spectrum of income, not just the middle class and rich like now (95% from the top 50% and 50% from the top 10% - with the bottom half paying 5%, before income transfers).
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

People don't understand things some times.  Lots of currencies around the world have collapsed, but life goes on, as you point out.  It goes on with you losing purchasing power though.  The UK didn't sink underwater when the Pound lost reserve currency status.  The US won't either, though there will be parts that aren't fun.  There will also be new opportunities.  For example, Richard Branson became a billionaire, in spite of the problems with the pound.
View Quote

The problem is that the USA is entirely dependent on goods manufactured overseas.  So, if our currency collapses than the cost of imported goods becomes unaffordable to most causing a rapid decline in the standard of living before the situation corrects with a return to domestic manufacturing.  In that critical period of collapse our diverse and extremely divided nation could fracture into tribal anarchy prompting a balkanization of the USA thereby ending our union.  Nationalism no longer holds this country together, there is no loyalty to the flag with the majority of American people, and the only thing keeping us afloat right now is our relative comfortable standard of living.  The minute our standard of living is impacted to any significant degree all Hell will break loose.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is nothing any of us can do to fix or stop the problem.

It is what it is man
View Quote

Well tens of millions of tax payers could march on DC and surround it in order to hold the scum that we elected accountable for pissing away America.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed, with a correction.  Tax rates may have been high but they were offset with thousands of loopholes and on a wider spectrum of income, not just the middle class and rich like now (95% from the top 50% and 50% from the top 10% - with the bottom half paying 5%, before income transfers).
View Quote

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  I was crawling on the floor during part of that time period, and I didn't pay any income taxes at all.  But yes, lots of loopholes.  Sadly, people passed on business opportunities because they would not have received any significant profit after paying 90% taxes.  President Reagan gave a speech about that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fixt.
Lower tax rates increase economic activity which actually improves inflow to the treasury.
Higher rates stifle economic activity.

Either way, federal spending needs to be slashed dramatically.
View Quote

That's right.

We cannot continue to spend AND have interest rates climb.

The two work against each-other until the whole kit-n-kaboodle collapses, catastrophically.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I you really want to bake your noodle, do some research on future unfunded liabilities. Close to $100 trillion for the federal government.

Then, add in state, local and private pension funds, and you're at several hundred trillion.

Only way to fix it is to inflate it away.  Inflation favors debtors.  And because we're the world's reserve currency, and there's currently no viable (or even short-term future) challenger, we're pawning our debt off on and inflating all other currencies.  Great way to be a steward of trust and faith.
View Quote

Haven't heard of BRICS, huh?

Nor, the resultant death of the petro-dollar?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm way more concerned about the American cultural breakdown of society. Nobody gives two fucks about anyone but themselves. When this thing really starts to melt down, it's not going to be a civil war but more like a neighbor on neighbor war of survival.
View Quote

That's a legitimate concern, yes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We are building up to a catastrophe that people will still be talking about in thousands of years.

Vanishing social programs, public and private debt, resource depletion, environmental degradation, diversity...  It's going to last decades - if not longer - and it's going to be worse than anyone can imagine.  None of our families will make it through unscathed.

We've got 25 years, max.
View Quote

I don't think it will take nearly that long.

And I don't think our country will survive, either.

Hate to say it, but I believe it's true.

I'm also pretty sure I will die in the social upheaval, so there's that, too!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed,  a big fat world war. Good thing we have plenty of fresh young men streaming across the boarder to conscript.

These fine young men have the benefit of being raised in a harsh land. So they will acclimatize to the rigor of military life quickly.
View Quote

And be turned loose on us with no compunction nor hesitation.

Brilliant plan.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't disagree.  They'll go digital before that allowing a much different level of manipulation.

AI will do most of the "busy work" and a lot of people will just have to deal with their minimum income plan unless they're the silver people protecting the gold people.

For everything else there's third worlders who strangely seem to be coming in by quite a bit lately...short term, keep wages lower and keep the ho polloi focused on "unsolvable" issues.  Long term easily influenced lower classes to cudgel what little remains of the middle class into submission for the oligarchs.  

Good news is, this is still the USA and it won't be as easy as they hope.
View Quote

Central America and to a lesser extent Mexico never had the resources, infrastructure or stability to lose, and many of our issues hit them harder. It isn't surprising people are migrating when their societies come pre-collapsed. Lots of subsistence farmers in the region have been broken by drought and the slums are overcrowded too.

US/Canada are actually in the strongest position of anyone, which is scary.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://thegreattaking.com/read-online-or-download

Download the pdf and read.
View Quote

Excellent documentary by the author on YT, too; by the same name.

Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven’t people been jumping up and down saying the world is ending every year? This is just like that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two main points.

1. all central banks are doing it. So that means everyone is in the same boat

2. inflation
View Quote

This.
Plan seems to be to just crash the entire first world / western civilization all at the same time.
Hence great reset.

Of course they have plans to build it all back into a utopia....
Bible tells us that it will be more like a hell scape.. unlike anything the world has ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Patriot (2000) Mel Gibson - I'm a parent.

Not saying I won't fight, only that what he says about our children learning of the war "with their own eyes" is exactly how it's going to be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are still buying things in dollars.  In countries where the annual wage is $5K.  It might be a million baht or whatever, but it is still $5K US dollars.

Inflation does destroy wealth and countries.  This is just part of the Obama/Soros plan to destroy America.  A massive new burden on the welfare structure and out of control spending to force hyper-inflation.

The ONLY thing that we have going for us is that most of the world is worse.  But we are catching up very quickly.  By design.
View Quote

Fact.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At this point there's nothing you can do about things out of your control. All you should just really do is prepare your own immediate friends/family and protect them, forget about obsessing over politics/economics that you can't do shit about.
View Quote

Yep.  Do what you can to change what's in your realm and forget about the rest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only way to avoid accountable is to distract your populations with something worse than a failed ecconomy .

Not like its all D.Cs fault ... Americans have been voting for free stuff for a few decades now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll just leave you with this..........

Attachment Attached File

...........if that doesn't steam your greens
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Not like its all D.Cs fault ... Americans have been voting for free stuff for a few decades now.

View Quote

+1  P. J. O'Rourke wrote about this in his book "Parliament of Whores".  Paraphrasing, he said, "Any parliament is a parliament of whores, but in our case, we are the whores".
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We make nothing other than Apps.  Our currency is increasingly worthless. Our military is increasingly a boutique force incapable of replacing any susbstantive losses. Our people deeply divided.  Our leaders farther removed from their fellow citizens and increasingly closer to foreign interests.  

There is no good end here.  Our Republic will fall.  While a noble experiment it ultimately is a failed one, because unearned universal suffrage combined with immigration is incompatible with stability.
View Quote

We make some of the best technology in the world, and no small quantity of essential materials like plain steel either. Why torpedo your argument out the gate?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Arfcom is too busy crowing about their big stonk gains, sportsball, and sarcastically muttering " fucking doomer" , to take anything meant as a warning seriously.

Maybe when inflation outpaces their  stock growth to the point they are actually  losing money every month even if still earning 20% , because the dollar has become toilet paper, perhaps  then they might take things seriously.

Some of us did the math though,  many years ago, / are capable of reading between the lines and know exactly whats in store for all of us in the near future, with our kids and grandkids ESPECIALLY fucked. Many people cant do that math though, as it conflicts with their happy little life, sportsball games, kids activities,  and simply wont believe it though, unless their government  / the president says it on live tv / admits it personally,  which will never happen..

Covid vaccines are a good much faster moving example,  where people were physically harmed, and they  will never accept their government fucked them, and their family, unless government openly admits it, which wont happen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A thoughtless moran called me “Doomer” in a recent investing thread, merely for pointing out that our investments will have to out pace inflation.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Source?

I don't remember reading about the Great Depression being like that, & nor did anyone I ever spoke with who lived through it ever described it that way.

Quoted:
Quoted:
There is nothing any of us can do to fix or stop the problem.

It is what it is man

Well tens of millions of tax payers could march on DC and surround it in order to hold the scum that we elected accountable for pissing away America.

The big club players won't be in CONUS when the financial comet slams home.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://thegreattaking.com/read-online-or-download

Download the pdf and read.
View Quote

The Great Taking
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#35]
  Source?

I don't remember reading about the Great Depression being like that, & nor did anyone I ever spoke with who lived through it ever described it that way.
View Quote

He is describing what a highly inflationary economy is like, not a deflationary event like the Great Depression.  They are both bad places to be but they are different.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Spend it while it’s still worth something!
View Quote

I’m spending my money now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What many do not understand is that every dollar the US govt spends that is not direct payments, is included in the GDP calculation. So when the fed creates new money and gives it to the treasury and the treasury spends it, the accounting result is an increase in GDP which looks like growth, but it isn’t growth. Without that extra 2 trillion dollars pumped into the GDP, the GDP negative growth would be worse than the Great Depression numbers.

With that extra 2 trillion a year, the govt is propping up business, the stock and bond markets, jobs, and tithe economy in general. Without it employment would collapse, banking would collapse, consumer demand would collapse, and the economy in general would collapse.

So they try to disarm us knowing what is coming while they steal a big nest egg for themselves and hope they get rich before the wheels come off the train.
View Quote

I bring that up when someone talks about increased US GDP, but it just bounces off like a rubber bullet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't remember the 1990s as having a crushing tax burden where everyone was living in poverty. How about going back to those tax rates, or something like it? I mean, everybody wants to Make America Great Again, so what were the tax rates like back when America was Great? Shit lot higher than under Bill Clinton. Maybe start there.
View Quote

If we go back to 1990's levels of spending too, then sure.  But lol if you think that'll happen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#40]
meh ... they'll just print more money and keep on spending. they'll end up erasing part of their own debt by taking over your savings, 401k and any retirement you think you might have.

we had the best of times, we'll have the worst of times.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The theft comes from the government with your investments.

Your $50 meal for two that now costs $100k... you gained zero buying power, but you're getting taxed on $99,950 worth of "gains" when you pull money out for that dinner.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The problem is that the USA is entirely dependent on goods manufactured overseas.  So, if our currency collapses than the cost of imported goods becomes unaffordable to most causing a rapid decline in the standard of living before the situation corrects with a return to domestic manufacturing.  In that critical period of collapse our diverse and extremely divided nation could fracture into tribal anarchy prompting a balkanization of the USA thereby ending our union.  Nationalism no longer holds this country together, there is no loyalty to the flag with the majority of American people, and the only thing keeping us afloat right now is our relative comfortable standard of living.  The minute our standard of living is impacted to any significant degree all Hell will break loose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll hold up in my basement. They’ll never root me out of there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Well. Wouldja lookit that. The Alpha Strategy by John Pugsley. He wasn't wrong.
Either you're an old fart like me or you've been shopping the thrift stores, LOL. Got that same book. When it came out, LOL.

Quoted:
Someone here posted this book a while back in another doomer inflation thread. It's a little long winded, but spot on in it's advice. Buying hard assets seems to be the best way to protect against what's inevitably coming.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/293682/20240103_151921_jpg-3080707.JPG
View Quote

While I am encouraged that information continues to be revealed showing, quite clearly, covid was a scam, endless wars are a money-laundering op, that J6 was a fed op, the elections are and probably have been fixed/faked/crooked along with pretty much everybody of note in our federal government being crooked as fuck. And the executive branch, including the myriad hundreds of thousands of federal employees appear to be working hand in hand. With them. With people we were warned about, 250 years ago. The Founders weren't stupid. They anticipated this.

My advice is ignore the MSM totally. Watch the weather, maybe sports if you care. Or not. Local news like car crashes, traffic reports, crime reports is useful intel  but just as skewed depending on which network. As for national/world news? Yeah. No. You should know better. Each of you by now probably has a pretty good BS detector built in. Use that.

But don't spend too much time on "news". It's not realtime, so it's of little use. But it does give you a broader picture and can telltale what's coming. Maybe. Kind of like your side mirrors/rear view. Valuable info can be found on social media. The latest J6 "tapes" I've found here and on GAB. But the above caution stands.

Check six, drive on. Forward. God, Family FIRST. Rural is nice, less resources, peaceful maybe versus city. Bigger cities, avoid if you can. It will happen there first, but harder. Smaller cities/towns or rural with "town" thirty+ miles away, you're not as safe as you think. Brings different security problems. Regardless, what's coming, you can't stop or avoid. It'll just happen later than your city-fied brethren.

Have a plan. Prepare by being as self-reliant as possible. Enough supplies to ride out as long as you can. Diversify, and be like John Wayne Toilet Paper.
Rough, Tough, and Don't Take Crap offa anybody.
God Bless
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]
It’s all just imaginary made up out of thin air money anyway (backed by nothing of value). They’ll just create more to “pay back”. It’s all part of the game.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

So the message is buy dual tubes now before they go up in price. I will comply.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you crop out "Zerohedge" logo is it any less factual...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, Zerohedge is literally Russian propaganda...

...rating this one troll

If you crop out "Zerohedge" logo is it any less factual...?

I'll never forget reading that Yugoslav war survivor's account where he said "even as the tanks began firing on the village, there were

those still in denial that this was in fact happening".
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those places have a name.  The third world.  If you spend time there you have seen people who live in plywood shacks with dirt floors.  Sorry, but that's 180 degrees from life as normal.  Let's picture for a minute the GF riots except those people are actually hungry.......
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Bro, America can't fail.

NFL is on and Amazon is still delivering. Nothing is wrong at all. Nope.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Don’t keep all you retirement funds in dollars
Property and tools and and farm land is a good thing to have and not too close to a big city
Look at history
Argentina crashed and is well documented at to what people went through before it got better
It is still not great
Have some off paper pistols just in case there is a need to SSS
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top