BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So basically you a virgin running a whore house.

Johns come in, they want kinky sex thing X, you have a pretty good idea of what X is because you have heard other folks talk about it, but can you ever really know about X until you try it?

Sylvan wants something totally filthy, and you don't know enough to dispatch the right lady to satisfy his lusty desires.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Have you ever been supported by CAS in a firefight?

Nope.  But I've talked to quite a few who were on the receiving end of the support I provided.  I made it a point to seek them out.

It made me feel pretty good.

So basically you a virgin running a whore house.

Johns come in, they want kinky sex thing X, you have a pretty good idea of what X is because you have heard other folks talk about it, but can you ever really know about X until you try it?

Sylvan wants something totally filthy, and you don't know enough to dispatch the right lady to satisfy his lusty desires.

Weird boner that I am not ashamed of
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

damn........

Cease fire, target destroyed.

That was co-authored with a fine naval officer, btw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask a guy who has never received CAS anything you want to know about CAS.

Any virgins want to give some pointers on sex while we are at it?

Is that like an Infantryman writing an article about what kind of small combatant the Navy should procure?

damn........

Eh.  Experience (BTDT points) in a particular field matters.  It isn't the only thing that matters though - at least IMO.  

I just really enjoy irony
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See I've gone around this with you as a casual advocate of airpower and it really does come through that you are remarkably well informed, which makes your posts very interesting.

Unfortunately for as much as you have read about Air Power, and as much as you can articulate the finer points you've never been able to grasp the "Ultima Ratio Potentiam Caeli".

You grasp it in the deterrence set, and you can figure how this plays into a policy end in broad strokes against peers. However you've never put 2 and 2 together to understand how this fundamentally invalidates earlier warfighting doctrines, land warfare, and infantry in nearly total.

All power is moral in nature, military efforts ultimately rely on the willingness to implement them. We are losing these wars because we are incapable of using nuclear weapons to commit genocide against people who are perfectly willing to commit genocide with IED's, and box cutters. We will continue to lose until we recognize that half measures will not suffice, and the application of ground forces is fundamentally a moral "half-measure". The misguided belief that if we send out some of our precious youth, armed with discriminating weapons, they will be able to use their judgment to kill some and leave others and our delicate sensibilities will be sated.

Unfortunately this moral doctrine has no relation to the conduct of an actual goddamn war, something our enemies understand and we do not.

I'll believe you "Understand Air Power" when you finally realize that it can be an active instrument. Not only the threat of a swatting a Peer in retaliation, but the active capability and willingness to exercise the same of swatting backwaters primitives in a fashion which they have absolutely no ability to counter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please do.  I could not care less.

I wish the AF would care about the nuclear deterrence mission instead of plugging their ears from customers complaints, we all have desires.

If I don't know what I am talking about, prove it.

I will guarantee I have read more of your doctrine, your history, airpower theory, deterrence theory as well as having been a customer of CAS than 99% of the AF officer corps.

I don't drink your kool-aid.  That doesn't make me ignorant.  It actually makes me informed.

See I've gone around this with you as a casual advocate of airpower and it really does come through that you are remarkably well informed, which makes your posts very interesting.

Unfortunately for as much as you have read about Air Power, and as much as you can articulate the finer points you've never been able to grasp the "Ultima Ratio Potentiam Caeli".

You grasp it in the deterrence set, and you can figure how this plays into a policy end in broad strokes against peers. However you've never put 2 and 2 together to understand how this fundamentally invalidates earlier warfighting doctrines, land warfare, and infantry in nearly total.

All power is moral in nature, military efforts ultimately rely on the willingness to implement them. We are losing these wars because we are incapable of using nuclear weapons to commit genocide against people who are perfectly willing to commit genocide with IED's, and box cutters. We will continue to lose until we recognize that half measures will not suffice, and the application of ground forces is fundamentally a moral "half-measure". The misguided belief that if we send out some of our precious youth, armed with discriminating weapons, they will be able to use their judgment to kill some and leave others and our delicate sensibilities will be sated.

Unfortunately this moral doctrine has no relation to the conduct of an actual goddamn war, something our enemies understand and we do not.

I'll believe you "Understand Air Power" when you finally realize that it can be an active instrument. Not only the threat of a swatting a Peer in retaliation, but the active capability and willingness to exercise the same of swatting backwaters primitives in a fashion which they have absolutely no ability to counter.

I think you're a postmodern strategist word generator. That rant makes nearly zero sense.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish the AF would care about the nuclear deterrence mission instead of plugging their ears from customers complaints, we all have desires.

I will guarantee I have read more of your doctrine, your history, airpower theory, deterrence theory as well as having been a customer of CAS than 99% of the AF officer corps.

I don't drink your kool-aid.  That doesn't make me ignorant.  It actually makes me informed.

the willingness to use it is as much an aspect of airpower as the physical capability.

but rather than wish for more bloodthirsty presidents, perhaps we should deal with the reality that politicians are not going to commit mass murder for sub-existential policy objectives.

it is a common theme for the air force to always deride the war as being wrong, rather than the AF's ham fisted doctrine they try to use to fight it.

to put it another way; they consistently fail to think strategically.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eh.  Experience (BTDT points) in a particular field matters.  It isn't the only thing that matters though - at least IMO.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that like an Infantryman writing an article about what kind of small combatant the Navy should procure?

damn........

I have as much experience in combat with the LCS as anybody else out there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you're a postmodern strategist word generator. That rant makes nearly zero sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TL:DR of that is basically that airpower isn't taken seriously because we haven't exercised it actively in 70 years, Peer enemies may have a brain in their head and be able to grasp that we still can and will exercise it and plan accordingly. However to savages and primitives, having power and not using it is the same as not having power at all.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Why did the French provide faster CAS than the USAF everytime in 08-09?
Has the USAF learned anything from the armée de l'air to improve their performance?
Why won't USAF pilots go around the ballistic trajectories of artillery and mortars in order to provide CAS in a timely manner given a joint fires environment?  Has this problem been fixed?  Are their plans to fix this in the future?
Why can an AF pilot refuse a request to bomb a previously abandoned building that enemy forces have retreated into when the ground commander has taken responsibility?
Why were B-1s providing CAS at night at for $,$$$,$$$ and leaving station as the sun/taliban came up?
Why were effective COIN aircraft (AC-130) only available to long-tabbers?  I ask because I was in a certain location that the Taliban attacked Every. Single. Day.  There were villages that we could not get to because we'd be on pace to run out of ammo halfway there Every.  Single.  Time.  We could have provided bad guys for those thermal sights All.  Day.  Long. if there was any interest.

Do you believe there is a unnecessarily high cultural aversion to risk in the USAF?

Serious questions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The TL:DR of that is basically that airpower isn't taken seriously because we haven't exercised it actively in 70 years, Peer enemies may have a brain in their head and be able to grasp that we still can and will exercise it and plan accordingly. However to savages and primitives, having power and not using it is the same as not having power at all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not even I am crazy enough to think that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you think the Kenyan gave the Taliban the secrets to spoof CAS targeting to the  in order to release Bergdahl?   5 U.S. servicemen were killed by a misplaced aerial bomb after Bergdahl's release.
Not even I am crazy enough to think that.

Why don't we let the OP, the SAD of the ASOC, answer that question.

After he gets back from voting for his benefactor, Lindsey Graham, of course.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
SO what we have here ... The OP runs a food delivery service business.  He feeds hot meals to thousands every day.  These are delivered hot, fresh and ready to eat.  He has a limited budget, not enough delivery trucks and he is proud of the delicious meals despite the lack of resources

On the other side, we have the patrons telling him he is serving breakfast for dinner, dinner at midnight, his food is cold and nobody was hungry by the time it arrived.  

That about sum it up?

TRG

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

the willingness to use it is as much an aspect of airpower as the physical capability.

but rather than wish for more bloodthirsty presidents, perhaps we should deal with the reality that politicians are not going to commit mass murder for sub-existential policy objectives.

it is a common theme for the air force to always deride the war as being wrong, rather than the AF's ham fisted doctrine they try to use to fight it.

View Quote

To be fair, politicians make choices based on the options that are presented to them by their military advisers.

When president Derpy McLimpdick asks for options and the Air force tells them "We can kill every living thing", and the Army tells them "We can kill only the ones that don't like us, and leave all the poor innocent children alive and prosperous and everything will be unicorns and rainbows forever". Which option is more appealing when they are presented as falsely equivalent?

The war is wrong, because the Army keeps selling the political leadership of this country on fighting the wrong war.

TL:DR Airpower is awesome and we should try it some time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True, but he's OUR asshole.

And we like his style.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Furthermore, since I'm no longer AD, I'm just going to say it.  You, sir, are an asshole.

True, but he's OUR asshole.

And we like his style.

TRG

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much sea time do you have?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
in

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, except he has never ordered the food himself, so he doesn't really know how it tastes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SO what we have here ... The OP runs a food delivery service business.  He feeds hot meals to thousands every day.  These are delivered hot, fresh and ready to eat.  He has a limited budget, not enough delivery trucks and he is proud of the delicious meals despite the lack of resources

On the other side, we have the patrons telling him he is serving breakfast for dinner, dinner at midnight, his food is cold and nobody was hungry by the time it arrived.  

That about sum it up?

TRG

Yes, except he has never ordered the food himself, so he doesn't really know how it tastes.

But thats not as fun as whorehouse analogies.

Yeah, I particularly like that whore house analogy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll believe you "Understand Air Power" when you finally realize that it can be an active instrument. Not only the threat of a swatting a Peer in retaliation, but the active capability and willingness to exercise the same of swatting backwater primitives in a fashion which they have absolutely no ability to counter. The goal is not to scare them into compliance, or to maintain a delicate lose-lose scenario that deters rational actors. The Goal is to kill our enemies and fall back on the other benefits passively until we can kill our enemies.

The deterrence set, and MAD are just extensions of the fundamental offensive paradigm. When your not on offense, you need to constantly improve your position until you can resume offensive operations. This applies with Nuclear weapons just as much as with armored columns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll believe you "Understand Air Power" when you finally realize that it can be an active instrument. Not only the threat of a swatting a Peer in retaliation, but the active capability and willingness to exercise the same of swatting backwater primitives in a fashion which they have absolutely no ability to counter. The goal is not to scare them into compliance, or to maintain a delicate lose-lose scenario that deters rational actors. The Goal is to kill our enemies and fall back on the other benefits passively until we can kill our enemies.

The deterrence set, and MAD are just extensions of the fundamental offensive paradigm. When your not on offense, you need to constantly improve your position until you can resume offensive operations. This applies with Nuclear weapons just as much as with armored columns.

You are living in la-la land.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/PSofqNSuVy8

If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To be fair, politicians make choices based on the options that are presented to them by their military advisers.

When president Derpy McLimpdick asks for options and the Air force tells them "We can kill every living thing", and the Army tells them "We can kill only the ones that don't like us, and leave all the poor innocent children alive and prosperous and everything will be unicorns and rainbows forever". Which option is more appealing when they are presented as falsely equivalent?

The war is wrong, because the Army keeps selling the political leadership of this country on fighting the wrong war.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have used Airpower, we use it everyday.
and its amazingly effective.

It just has absolutely nothing to do with airplanes and hasn't for a generation.

Major General Andrews, commander of the General Headquarters of the Army Air Force in 1939:  “To stop the aggressor nation from even planning the attack, through fear of retaliation.  Air power should be seen not as a war fighting instrument but as an instrument of national policy. One capable of toppling the diplomatic balance and perhaps eventually creating mutual deterrence through terror between two nations both capable of power air actions.”

I am not surprised you can't figure this out.  Sorry the war isn't what you want.  We tried to get a cooler war.  But Kosovo put the drug running muslim terrorist organization KLA in charge of its own nation (and provided a very nice causus belli for Putin in Crimea) and, well Libya, you can figure that one out solo.

General White, the Air Force Chief of Staff from 1957-1961 well understood the problem.  “To say there is not a deeply ingrained prejudice in favor of aircraft among flyers would be a stupid statement”
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I threw up once on Ferry in Alaska.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.frontpagemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lemay.jpg

great man.
“The long range future of the AAF lies in the field of guided missiles.  The AAF MUST go to guided missiles for the initial phases of future wars”
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curiously, Gen. LeMay was my younger sister's Godfather.

I had nothing to do with that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that anyone is still alive in Afghanistan invalidates your premise.

Again, your focus is on the second order benefits (deterrence) but not the first order benefits (Killing enemies wholesale).

But I digress, I've said my piece and I don't want to make the thread jump the tracks. I got work to do so I'll bow out of this one. I'll leave you to arguing about things that are largely irrelevant (CAS).

I will say though, that its a damn shame you won't consider green-to-blue, the Air force needs hard-headed sons-of bitches like you in the missile branch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Again, your focus is on the second order benefits (deterrence) but not the first order benefits (Killing enemies wholesale).

But I digress, I've said my piece and I don't want to make the thread jump the tracks. I got work to do so I'll bow out of this one. I'll leave you to arguing about things that are largely irrelevant (CAS).

I will say though, that its a damn shame you won't consider green-to-blue, the Air force needs hard-headed sons-of bitches like you in the missile branch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killing Japanese didn't bother me very much at that time... I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal.... Every soldier thinks something of the moral aspects of what he is doing. But all war is immoral and if you let that bother you, you're not a good soldier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Time and again I see people post opinions and speculations about the use of Air Power in support of ground operations that suggests to me that there is a widespread misunderstanding of how the apparatus works.

In particular, (referencing the current frat thread) notions of the role & application of CAS, how decisions are made, and what is and is not appropriate as a CAS asset.

I will NOT discuss any particular missions/operations, nor will I disclose any capabilities or TTPs that are not common knowledge.  When in doubt, I will err on the side of OPSEC.  I just want to give the uninitiated the opportunity to learn more about Close Air Support planning, execution, and command & control.

(DISCLAIMER:  I'm pretty much going to just ignore Sylvan, should he chime in, as he has demonstrated a recalcitrant prejudice towards USAF CAS and refusal to look at the bigger picture.  So, no offense, Sylvan, but if you'd like to discuss CAS with me, we'll do it in a private forum.)

Ask away...
View Quote

What is your most important lesson learned from your deployment?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does that count?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that count?

Is that a typo in a thread started by Freud?

Fabulous!

TRG
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#28]
This is one of the best go threads in a lonnnnng time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

damn........

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn........

Isnt that an oxymoron?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This tells me all I need to know.

You want to have another Amway sales presentation where no dissention is allowed.

I've got over 24 hours of USAF airpower instruction. During every block, every instructor save one gave the same appeal to authority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all due respect, Sylvan, about 5 years ago we were in a discussion on CAS, that me and my fellow ALOs wanted to respond to.  CC got word of it, and was familiar with you professionally.  We were told to not engage in any discussions with you as he believed that 1) you didn't know what you were talking about, and 2) you were too opinionated and limited in your views to make any discussion worthwhile.

I don't want to get into it with you here.  I'm respectfully asking you to try something new - just for today... stay off the keyboard and just READ for once.  You never know.  You might actually learn something.

If I have to actually use the /ignore feature to eliminate the distraction, I will.

You want to have another Amway sales presentation where no dissention is allowed.

I've got over 24 hours of USAF airpower instruction. During every block, every instructor save one gave the same appeal to authority.

Boils my blood really.  Tell the customer they don't know what they are talking about, don't know what they need, don't know how things are run by upper management of an abortion organization with no loyalty to sister services, then cite some freaking desk jockey USAF officer as a reliable source of info on the customer.

S13gmund:  Your inability to correctly use the English language isn't inspiring any confidence in the customer.  It could easily be interpreted that if someone in such an important position can't spell, maybe they shouldn't be managing the Air Support Operations Center for an entire AOR.  Am I correct to conclude that you are an officer?  The next chain of logical thought is, "If these guys can't screen, hire, train, and retain officers that know 4th grade English (their vs. there), what are the JTACs doing punching in grids?"

Reminds me of the days when I had to threaten officers with calling the waste, fraud, and abuse hotline when then were filling waste baskets with aborted attempts at printing a legible document for soldier awards or other admin paperwork.  They were never trusted with anything close to the entire Air Operations Center of a campaign though.

I had friends on ODA-574, so this isn't a theoretical fun argument for me.  Some of our Nation's greatest men were lost that day, especially JD.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Isnt that an oxymoron?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn........

Isnt that an oxymoron?

OK, I may have over stated the case.
He was cute.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The day the AF has a missileer as Chief of Staff will be the first day of a much needed refocusing.

That said, I do wear this:
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In red is the real issue, and the way the airforce is approaching it

Its only irrelevant if you ARE NOT the guy on the ground fighting with whatever you can carry

The airforce wants to own the platforms, to the extent of telling the actual guy on the ground what he needs

Every airforce officer from brand new lt to 4 star should be required to spend a year on the ground in Astan, or Iraq, or wherever, in a combat arms platoon, doing patrols and other fun dismounted shit.

I am fairly certain that would at l;east open up some eyes to what the end user needs

I am also fairly certain that wouldn't change the overwhelming want ofg the airforce to aquire more sexy super expensive jets that don't work very well and have a cost approaching that of an aircraft carrier.
Basically the airforce says, we are the airforce, we are awesome, we are smarter than you. Go fuck yourself army, you can get support when and where we feel like it, from whatever we send, from whatever platform isn't down for maintanance, or to far away.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Boils my blood really.  Tell the customer they don't know what they are talking about, don't know what they need, don't know how things are run by upper management of an abortion organization with no loyalty to sister services, then cite some freaking desk jockey USAF officer as a reliable source of info on the customer.

S13gmund:  Your inability to correctly use the English language isn't inspiring any confidence in the customer.  It could easily be interpreted that if someone in such an important position can't spell, maybe they shouldn't be managing the Air Support Operations Center for an entire AOR.  Am I correct to conclude that you are an officer?  The next chain of logical thought is, "If these guys can't screen, hire, train, and retain officers that know 4th grade English (their vs. there), what are the JTACs doing punching in grids?"

Reminds me of the days when I had to threaten officers with calling the waste, fraud, and abuse hotline when then were filling waste baskets with aborted attempts at printing a legible document for soldier awards or other admin paperwork.  They were never trusted with anything close to the entire Air Operations Center of a campaign though.

I had friends on ODA-574, so this isn't a theoretical fun argument for me.  Some of our Nation's greatest men were lost that day, especially JD.

http://hansdevreij.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/oda-574-and-hamid-karzai-november-20011.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all due respect, Sylvan, about 5 years ago we were in a discussion on CAS, that me and my fellow ALOs wanted to respond to.  CC got word of it, and was familiar with you professionally.  We were told to not engage in any discussions with you as he believed that 1) you didn't know what you were talking about, and 2) you were too opinionated and limited in your views to make any discussion worthwhile.

I don't want to get into it with you here.  I'm respectfully asking you to try something new - just for today... stay off the keyboard and just READ for once.  You never know.  You might actually learn something.

If I have to actually use the /ignore feature to eliminate the distraction, I will.

http://hansdevreij.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/oda-574-and-hamid-karzai-november-20011.jpg

Your ad hominem attacks and snarky remarks aren't going to get you the response you wanted.  Considering that this post has been made entirely from an iPhone while sitting in a car dealership waiting room I'd say it's a literary masterpiece.

To the argument about virgins or hotdog vendors, how about saying to a surgeon, who has performed thousands of surgeries and hundreds of appendectomies: "oh, you've never had an appendectomy befor? But you've performed hundreds of them successfully? You have no business performing appendectomies!"

See? I can do analogies too.  But more on that later.  I'm in the parking lot at work and need to go in.  I'll return to this thread later.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Has there been any high level debate, regarding a revisit of the Pace-Finletter MOU 1952, and it's arbitrary denial of Fixed wing assets to the Army?

It's tragic that we didn't have ground attack aircraft covering every inch of Afghanistan and Iraq.  

We should have had thousands of armed turboprops in the theatre, orbiting overhead, just waiting for the chance to attack.  

We established air superiority within days, and then proceeded to fight the war primarily from the ground.     A lot of guys are dead and crippled because we chose to fight the enemy on his terms.

I realize this gets into other areas of discussion such as COIN, but if the Airforce cares about CAS, why haven't they developed an effective and efficient means to deliver it?

And if the Army cares about their troops getting the CAS they need, why haven't they fought for the right to field armed ground attack aircraft?    Something like a Pilatus PC12.    It's cheaper in every way than a helicopter, yet can lift more and carry it faster and much further.   And it can orbit for 8 hours.  

This seems to be one of the greatest oversights of the war.  

Bureaucratic blindness and inertia is the only thing that can explain it.    

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Isnt that an oxymoron?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn........

Isnt that an oxymoron?
He meant fine, I think.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh, you're still here.

I'm waiting for answers, unless this thread is blatant attempt to troll Sylvan.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh, you're still here.

View Quote

It was damn near a call-out from the get go.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, you're still here.

I didn't see it that way, but it sure turned into a belly bucking contest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your ad hominem attacks and snarky remarks aren't going to get you the response you wanted.  Considering that this post has been made entirely from an iPhone while sitting in a car dealership waiting room I'd say it's a literary masterpiece.

To the argument about virgins or hotdog vendors, how about saying to a surgeon, who has performed thousands of surgeries and hundreds of appendectomies: "oh, you've never had an appendectomy befor? But you've performed hundreds of them successfully? You have no business performing appendectomies!"

See? I can do analogies too.  But more on that later.  I'm in the parking lot at work and need to go in.  I'll return to this thread later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you see yourself as a surgeon? I might normally forgive the butchering of English if you're driving a handheld device and you were a half-witted civilian with lower than GED education.  Good thing JTACs don't use them.  As an officer working in a career management field where plain text transmissions can mean life and death, I strongly urge you to start practicing higher standards of commo procedures so these habits cross-pollinate to your professional behavior.  Then expect it from your peers, subordinates, and superiors.

It isn't ad hominem if it's relevant.  Ad hominem is designed to distract from the discussion by personally attacking a participant on irrelevant points in order to dissuade them from making their argument, like you did by citing some unnamed USAF CC telling you to ignore Sylvan because he's too opinionated.  I'm saying that competence is critical to the whole nature of CAS, because it is, despite USAF doctrine and practice to ignore the customer.

Don't engage me on the nature of logical fallacies. I promise you will lose that debate.  And for the record, I take the time to make sure my handheld device messages are correctly spelled...bad habits from being trained to send specific and correct burst transmission before text messaging was available to the public.

Maybe it's time to revisit data transmission device procedures, wouldn't you say?  The USAF has very high standards for recruitment of not only officers, but enlisted...or at least it used to.  We never liked the fact that calling in CAS was so protected by USAF, and even when an 18E was sent to the USAF JTAC school for 8 weeks, we still had to have USAF JTAC support for CAS.

This insane inter-services rivalry is costing good men their lives.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Since you seem to like yourself....if you could bend over far enough to suck your own junk, would you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I hear you.  If I could wave a magic want and have unlimited aircraft, pilots, gas, maintainers, and time- I'd give every Joe his own personal A-10 squadron.  But if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle... it's just not the way things are.

Air Power is exceedingly scare.  Tankers are exceedingly scares.  Maintainers are scarce.  Parts are scare.  Flight hours are limited.  For that reason, employment of air power absolutely must be exercised sparingly, in accordance with CFC's intent, in an attempt to get the most benefit for the very limited resource.

What I find curious is that the Air Force seems to get blame for the Army not getting the air support they want.  This is an issue to take up with Army Fires in nearly all cases except TICs, as it is ARMY FIRES who assigns priorities to ASRs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time and again I see people post opinions and speculations about the use of Air Power in support of ground operations that suggests to me that there is a widespread misunderstanding of how the apparatus works.

Have you ever been supported by CAS in a firefight?

Nope.  But I've talked to quite a few who were on the receiving end of the support I provided.  I made it a point to seek them out.

Weird thing happened to me last year.  I was watching History Channel's "Eyewitness War".  It was a fairly intense episode, with US troops pinned down in a wadi outside a village that they were trying to search for something something terrorists.

It got bad enough to declare a TIC and they made the call.  Within minutes, a two-ship was overhead, dropping bombs on enemy positions.  They guy with the Go Pro camera featured in the bulk of the episode, upon hearing the jet noise, said:  "You hear that?  Know I know it's going to be a good day"

They went on to remark, in the after-interview, that the air support saved their lives, and was a huge morale booster.  I then saw the date that the film was taken.  It was during my tenure at the ASOC, during my shift.  I put together that CAS package.  It made me feel pretty good.

Imagine if they had air support at the beginning of the TIC?  Or even before?

They might have actually killed some bad guys.

bombing abandoned positions isn't a bad way to fight a war, but there are better ways.

any stories of pre-planned CAS?

I hear you.  If I could wave a magic want and have unlimited aircraft, pilots, gas, maintainers, and time- I'd give every Joe his own personal A-10 squadron.  But if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle... it's just not the way things are.

Air Power is exceedingly scare.  Tankers are exceedingly scares.  Maintainers are scarce.  Parts are scare.  Flight hours are limited.  For that reason, employment of air power absolutely must be exercised sparingly, in accordance with CFC's intent, in an attempt to get the most benefit for the very limited resource.

What I find curious is that the Air Force seems to get blame for the Army not getting the air support they want.  This is an issue to take up with Army Fires in nearly all cases except TICs, as it is ARMY FIRES who assigns priorities to ASRs.

Actually, Commanders and Operations Officers determine priority.  With Fires input and recommendations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

popcorn.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask a guy who has never had OPCON over every single fixed wing close air support asset in an entire theater of war how close air support should be run.

Check.

popcorn.gif

Chances are unless you are were a commander, you have never had OPCON of anything.  OPCON is function of command, your higher commander the Coalition or Joint Forces Air Component Commander may have OPCON and you may have been the staff officer who assisting but it is not the same as having OPCON.

One of the huge problems within the US military is only 2 of 4 service abide by the JP 1-02, Joint Dictionary while the Air Service tends to use words, willy-nilly often confusing people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you see yourself as a surgeon? I might normally forgive the butchering of English if you're driving a handheld device and you were a half-witted civilian with lower than GED education.  Good thing JTACs don't use them.  As an officer working in a career management field where plain text transmissions can mean life and death, I strongly urge you to start practicing higher standards of commo procedures so these habits cross-pollinate to your professional behavior.  Then expect it from your peers, subordinates, and superiors.

It isn't ad hominem if it's relevant.  Ad hominem is designed to distract from the discussion by personally attacking a participant on irrelevant points in order to dissuade them from making their argument, like you did by citing some unnamed USAF CC telling you to ignore Sylvan because he's too opinionated.  I'm saying that competence is critical to the whole nature of CAS, because it is, despite USAF doctrine and practice to ignore the customer.

Don't engage me on the nature of logical fallacies. I promise you will lose that debate.  And for the record, I take the time to make sure my handheld device messages are correctly spelled...bad habits from being trained to send specific and correct burst transmission before text messaging was available to the public.

http://www.themilsimperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Eco-51st-Inf-LRRP-1986-89-YouTube31.png

Maybe it's time to revisit data transmission device procedures, wouldn't you say?  The USAF has very high standards for recruitment of not only officers, but enlisted...or at least it used to.  We never liked the fact that calling in CAS was so protected by USAF, and even when an 18E was sent to the USAF JTAC school for 8 weeks, we still had to have USAF JTAC support for CAS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.themilsimperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Eco-51st-Inf-LRRP-1986-89-YouTube31.png

As a Group FIre Support Officer, I had over 40 13 and 18-series JTACs in the Group.  Air Force JTACs were attached to teams that either had a split team mission or did not have a JTAC assigned to their ODA.

Our 18-series JTACs controlled a lot of air...and did it well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As a Group FIre Support Officer, I had over 40 13 and 18-series JTACs in the Group.  Air Force JTACs were attached to teams that either had a split team mission or did not have a JTAC assigned to their ODA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was pre-9/11, and there was still a struggle.  You had a fully qualified 18E with JTAC school, to include live CAS missions as part of the course, who the USAF still was reluctant to hand over to.

We didn't seem to have a problem with it in Korea, since there was more of a combined arms team regional focus, but there was a lot of resistance Stateside.  I know a lot of things changed after 9/11, but there are still institutional problems in both the USAF and Army that do more to fight us than the enemy in many cases.

JSOTF's usually work out the service rivalry by checking it at the door, +/- Squeals, but we still have SOF getting pounded by air.  At the end of the day, fratricide is still a reality of war, and I myself am a survivor of it from blue on blue on the ground level between 2 different Army units in OIF1, so it isn't a USAF vs. ground only problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#47]
The whole JTAC requirement was a sop to the Air Force, they want to limit fires following numerous high vis fratricide events in Desert Storm.  So over 13 year period we went to from the concept of the universal observer to the JTAC to now the JTAC assisted by JFOs.  

I actually had more controls prior to being a JTAC than I did after, because it use to be common practice in the Marine Corps that if you were a combats arms officer, you were trained to do what now is type 1 control.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll just take this lawn chair over here with a beer and a smoke.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Its only irrelevant if you ARE NOT the guy on the ground fighting with whatever you can carry

The airforce wants to own the platforms, to the extent of telling the actual guy on the ground what he needs

Every airforce officer from brand new lt to 4 star should be required to spend a year on the ground in Astan, or Iraq, or wherever, in a combat arms platoon, doing patrols and other fun dismounted shit.

I am fairly certain that would at l;east open up some eyes to what the end user needs

I am also fairly certain that wouldn't change the overwhelming want ofg the airforce to aquire more sexy super expensive jets that don't work very well and have a cost approaching that of an aircraft carrier.
Basically the airforce says, we are the airforce, we are awesome, we are smarter than you. Go fuck yourself army, you can get support when and where we feel like it, from whatever we send, from whatever platform isn't down for maintanance, or to far away.
View Quote

It's irrelevant because the difference between Sylvan's wishlist for fire support and what was actually delivered isn't sufficient to accomplish whatever muddled strategic goals the US government thinks it has.  Inadequacies in CAS notwithstanding, US ground forces already have no problem winning firefights.  Having Zeus's lightning bolts on call by every squad leader would save some ground-pounder's lives.  It wouldn't 'win' Afghanistan or Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's irrelevant because the difference between Sylvan's wishlist for fire support and what was actually delivered isn't sufficient to accomplish whatever muddled strategic goals the US government thinks it has.  Inadequacies in CAS notwithstanding, US ground forces already have no problem winning firefights.  Having Zeus's lightning bolts on call by every squad leader would save some ground-pounder's lives.  It wouldn't 'win' Afghanistan or Iraq.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't take away from the fact that you have a product being delivered that isn't what is being asked for

If you are going to limit a services access to specific platforms, provide what they are asking for.
Otherwise, relenquish the delivery of that service, and turn over the platforms or money to the service who is the end user

Providing CAS with a super cool jet fighter, or strategic bomber is like trying to clear a house with a barrett 50 cal, you can do it, but it is less than ideal

As a guy on the ground who has needed those thunderbolts, i apparently have a different viepoint

Page / 13
Top Top