User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Pepper spray=Human seasoning
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Article is short on details.

Not sure where it implies that being in a tent had anything to do with the attack.  Why would you NOT want to be in a tent in bear country?  Do you want the first warning of the attack to be when the bear's jaws close on your face??  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't they just run and "hide". Maybe claw their way up a tree.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
A watch schedule wouldn’t be a terrible idea in giant grizz country.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The article says they don't know why it attacked but did they have food at the campsite and inside the tent?

I think even if they did they won't admit now .
View Quote

Very seldom is the full story told. Also notice that these so-called "Experts" never advise folks to carry a weapon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Bears are just about everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wonder what kind of firearms this lady had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0
View Quote

Damn, rootin’ for that bear.  However, glad that vapid biped is way out in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll hunt down the article, but read up on Tundra Grizzly and the couple that "did everything right".

Cooked 1 mile away.  Had a perimeter wire with bells.  Slept with a shotgun between them.  

Authorities found them partially consumed and the shotgun was left un-fired.  

#bearssuck  #chicagobearssucktoo
View Quote
Wow
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll hunt down the article, but read up on Tundra Grizzly and the couple that "did everything right".

Cooked 1 mile away.  Had a perimeter wire with bells.  Slept with a shotgun between them.  

Authorities found them partially consumed and the shotgun was left un-fired.  

#bearssuck  #chicagobearssucktoo
View Quote

I'm just trying to picture the scene the OP posted .
It's night and two people sleeping inside a two person tent . All of a sudden the tent gets ripped down and while you are both still waking up which  takes a couple of seconds to be aware of what the hell is happening .  No light inside the tent and your getting crushed , bit hear the grunting  . That's also a recipe for disaster if one person inside the tent starts firing wildly in the dark .
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://sports.yahoo.com/two-campers-asleep-tent-injured-015935893.html

Who goes on a remote kayak trip in Alaska without a gun???!!!!

After getting attacked while sleeping in a tent, they had to pack up and kayak for 2 hours just to get to other campers, who still could only call for help with a satellite phone.  All they had was bear "deterrents".
View Quote

Since the attack was quick and intense inside the tent what good would a gun have done?  Apparently they had no time to react to anything.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lmao.

Let's call it the porterhouse challenge and get that shit trending on tiktok
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was camping in Sequoia National park (1960s) the same night as a moron who thought he could hide his porterhouse steak in the bottom of his sleeping bag at night and the bears wouldn't find it. The moron lived; but he needed a new sleeping bag and tent.
Lmao.

Let's call it the porterhouse challenge and get that shit trending on tiktok

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Since it is kayak camping and not hiking, bring two 4000 lb rope hoists, 26.99 on amazon.

A climbing belt and tree spikes.

Climb the tree and put your slap straps on the tree at least 15 feet up.  Attach a hoist to each slap strap.

Attach your hammock to the hoist at head and feet.

Start lifting yourself in the tree, alternating between head and feet.

I need to try this!

Now, in my many years of hammock camping, my night would go like this...

Everything is set, start hoisting.

Get set, all is good.  Settle in for the night.

30 minutes later, lower myself to the ground to pee.

Hoist back up.

2 hours later, lower myself to pee, tell buddies in their bear happy meal containers (tents), to stop bitching about the noise.

Hoist back up, still yelling at buddies to shut up.

Repeat as needed.

As an added advantage, all the noise from the hoisting and bitching should keep the bears away.

And remember to put food bag in a different tree.

View Quote

After all that work, I'm just peeing over the side.

And hoping the smell is a deterrent and not attractant...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since the attack was quick and intense inside the tent what good would a gun have done?  Apparently they had no time to react to anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After getting attacked while sleeping in a tent, they had to pack up and kayak for 2 hours just to get to other campers, who still could only call for help with a satellite phone.  All they had was bear "deterrents".

The question of how dumb you have to be to go on a remote kayak trip in AK without a gun is independent from the question of whether it would have helped them in this specific instance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The thought is unbearable.
View Quote

kek
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since it is kayak camping and not hiking, bring two 4000 lb rope hoists, 26.99 on amazon.

A climbing belt and tree spikes.

Climb the tree and put your slap straps on the tree at least 15 feet up.  Attach a hoist to each slap strap.

Attach your hammock to the hoist at head and feet.

Start lifting yourself in the tree, alternating between head and feet.

I need to try this!

Now, in my many years of hammock camping, my night would go like this...

Everything is set, start hoisting.

Get set, all is good.  Settle in for the night.

30 minutes later, lower myself to the ground to pee.

Hoist back up.

2 hours later, lower myself to pee, tell buddies in their bear happy meal containers (tents), to stop bitching about the noise.

Hoist back up, still yelling at buddies to shut up.

Repeat as needed.

As an added advantage, all the noise from the hoisting and bitching should keep the bears away.

And remember to put food bag in a different tree.

Buddies in tent be like there wasn't supposed to be any rain in the forecast!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came here to post that it's plastic and doesn't even taste good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends on the type of bear right? Black bear's don't usually pull that type of shit
View Quote

Every time I've encountered a black bear in the woods, it was basically a crashing sound followed by the blur of the ass end of it running away from me as fast as it could.  I understand that grizzlies are different and hope to never encounter one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Just like Timothy, they didn't tread well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
A black bear sniffed around my tent one night. I know it was a black bear because it happened in North GA. My buddy and I were on a managed deer hunt on a wildlife management area when it happened. My gun was in the tent, his was not. I didn't have a pistol with me, found out how hard it is to maneuver a Ruger M77 in a 2 man backpacking tent.

Once it got away from the tent but was still in our camp I unzipped the tent, put a light on it and started yelling at it. It immediately hauled ass out of there. We didn't sleep much more that night though.

Another time I had my family with me and we obviously camped right in the middle of a bear trail. There were either 4 different bears or one or 2 came through twice after circling around. I had a .357 with me that time but ran them off by banging pots and pans together and yelling. We were eating dinner when the first one came in. After we cleaned up I took all the food and hauled it back to my truck which was about 2-300 yards away, none of the others wanetd to stay in camp without me so they all walked with me making lots of noise. It was all I could do to get them back to camp.

The last bear to visit that night was after the kids were in bed and the wife and I were sitting around the camp fire. It came from behind us along the creek, when the wife heard it break a branch she walked right through the fire to get on the side with me. Right after that it started pouring rain so we turned in, every time I would fall asleep if a stone tumbled in the creek or some other noise and I got claws on my arm from the wife unit. She was upset that I could go to sleep while she was convinced we were about to be eaten.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have current bear tags you can cook huge meals in camp and never see one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those Bears are more afraid of you than you are of them.  
View Quote

Yea, "Save the planet. Nature is good. Humans bad. Viva La Bambi " and other NYU indoctrination? There are plenty of instances of bears stalking people for their own entertainment, never mind how "afraid" they are to protect their young or fill their stomach.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The question of how dumb you have to be to go on a remote kayak trip in AK without a gun is independent from the question of whether it would have helped them in this specific instance.
View Quote

I agree it would have been smarter to have a gun than not but in this case it doesn't sound like a gun or anything else would have done them any good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Sleeping Bag Attack - Prophecy (1979)

Down sleeping bags aren't much help against giant mutant bears.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You folks that sleep with emergency rations such as Cheetos, burritos, and M&Ms, the bears can smell that from a miles away!

Also, the residue on your fingers!
View Quote

When we did a trip in the Boundary Waters, we were very good about policing all of the food and hanging it up on a tree branch every night. Many a story was told about the bad kid that snuck a granola bar in to their sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had a close encounter with a bear on a camping trip a long time ago.  After seeing the bear walking through my camp site, I slept in the car that night.
View Quote

Your car is not safe. You should see what the bears in Yosemite will do to a car when you leave a cooler in it over night in a parking lot.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When we did a trip in the Boundary Waters, we were very good about policing all of the food and hanging it up on a tree branch every night. Many a story was told about the bad kid that snuck a granola bar in to their sleeping bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You folks that sleep with emergency rations such as Cheetos, burritos, and M&Ms, the bears can smell that from a miles away!

Also, the residue on your fingers!

A ranger told me that the bears in the Smokies had learned to look for ropes in the trees and had figured out if they chewed on the rope long enough manna from heaven would come raining down. Even toothpaste can be an attractant so don't spit it out on the ground in camp or keep it in your tent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#29]
why get off the boat?

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A ranger told me that the bears in the Smokies had learned to look for ropes in the trees and had figured out if they chewed on the rope long enough manna from heaven would come raining down. Even toothpaste can be an attractant so don't spit it out on the ground in camp or keep it in your tent.
View Quote

Damn! I can't imagine being 4 days deep in to the Boundary Waters and finding all of your food gone the next morning! Everything was put in to nice, lightweight bags or tubes so a bear would have an easy time eating it all, no can opener required.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Hang food up high. Don't keep food in tent or kayak. Sleep well. Been there done that in Canada. Bear walked right by my tent I bearly heard it. Other scouts told me about it the next morning.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder how hard it would be to rig a hammock 12 feet off the ground?

I guess if I had a good dog, or maybe could set up an early warning perimeter, I'd still consider it.  But I have minimal interest in going anywhere overnight that doesn't allow motorized vehicles.

Seriously, what are you supposed to do if you go backpacking in grizzly/brown bear country? (besides the obvious stuff like no food in the tent, of course)
View Quote

Meh, we had a grizzly sow and 3 cubs come in on our meat rack..she ruined about 150 pounds of meat...we had to guard the meat 24/7 for the rest of the trip.. the meat was about 10 foot above ground...Only time we have ever had a bear come near camp or our meat rack in all these years...They do become pretty possessive of your meat though..had to use the buggy's to drive her off it each time..And ended up just hanging the meat over the bed of the buggy 20 yards in front of our tent...Kept a couple Coleman lanterns going all night with a armed guard watching...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

One of the many times we ran her off, she is waiting for her cubs to catch up...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're probably libshits.  Bears need to eat too.

Quoted:
Just like Timothy, they didn't tread well.
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm just trying to picture the scene the OP posted .
It's night and two people sleeping inside a two person tent . All of a sudden the tent gets ripped down and while you are both still waking up which  takes a couple of seconds to be aware of what the hell is happening .  No light inside the tent and your getting crushed , bit hear the grunting  . That's also a recipe for disaster if one person inside the tent starts firing wildly in the dark .
View Quote

And one of the big issues with a shotgun or rifle..once the bear gets on top of you, not much chance you will ever get to bring it to bear again..I sleep with my glock 20 stuck under the edge of my cot and pad, with in inches of my hand..we set camp up so there are several firearms in reach from any given spot just in case...

My buddy when he was living on the mine claim full time used an electric "bear" fence to keep them away, it worked, but I doubt it would if you had lots  of food around.   He had a few bears who liked  testing it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#37]
So the anchovie bedtime snack is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
They only have black bears at home.

We used to sleep in a 10X12 wall tent set up on a raised floor to help keep the wind from blowing through.

I slept with my M29 in the sleeping bag under my rolled up coat (pillow).

One night my buddy shook me awake and said, "Hear that?"  I asked what.  He said, "Listen."  Heavy breathing, a little quiet snorting just up the hill from the tent/camp site.  A bear going up the trail that came up from below and went to the top of the mountain.  I laid there holding onto the M29.  Eventually the bear decided to move on up the trail/hill and gradually moved out of hearing range.  I know we laid there awhile waiting to see if it was coming back, but I don't know how long before we fell asleep again.  My brother in law never knew about it till the next morning when we told him about hearing it.

Didn't need the .44 that night, but I was glad to have it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
My close call with a black bear would have been complicated if I had my dog and myself zipped up in a tent.  My dog went after the bear probably 25-30 yards from the tarp shelter we had bedded down under.  I dont usually zip myself into a sleeping bag either in case I need to get up in a hurry, usually I just close things up with the snaps on my USGI bivvy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Reading Night of the Grizzlies when I was a kid convinced me to avoid doing that!

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wonder how hard it would be to rig a hammock 12 feet off the ground?
View Quote

How fast a bear can climb a tree!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Timothy Treadwell ought to be able to help you out on your wish.
View Quote

I think Timmy is ...shit out...of luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Probably camped next to or on a bear trail going around the shoreline.
Maybe not, but I bet they didn't camp 50 yards or more from the shore of lake / river that bears follow.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah... Grizz don't give a shizz.

Bears gotta eat, same as worms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And one of the big issues with a shotgun or rifle..once the bear gets on top of you, not much chance you will ever get to bring it to bear again..I sleep with my glock 20 stuck under the edge of my cot and pad, with in inches of my hand..we set camp up so there are several firearms in reach from any given spot just in case...

My buddy when he was living on the mine claim full time used an electric "bear" fence to keep them away, it worked, but I doubt it would if you had lots  of food around.   He had a few bears who liked  testing it...
View Quote

I'm going to purchase one of the chest holsters  I've seen advertised . I just bought a G 29 this week  but still haven't pick it up.

My extent of camping and hiking is only with black bears . Honestly I'm more worried for my dog being a knuckle head and chasing one.
I know I should have him leashed at all times but when I'm hiking in the woods and there's no one around I let him off the leash so he can do his dog stuff like chasing squirrels and such.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck tents, I'm done sleeping in tents
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm going to purchase one of the chest holsters  I've seen advertised . I just bought a G 29 this week  but still haven't pick it up.

My extent of camping and hiking is only with black bears . Honestly I'm more worried for my dog being a knuckle head and chasing one.
I know I should have him leashed at all times but when I'm hiking in the woods and there's no one around I let him off the leash so he can do his dog stuff like chasing squirrels and such.
View Quote

This is very close to what I use(mines local made as well)... and what I would recommend for a style when you go looking..it needs to retain the pistol securely, but still allow fast access...

Attachment Attached File

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/man-gear-alaska-chest-holster?storeId=10651&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Google+Smart+Shopping+-+Catch+All+-+PLA_Generic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu77R6oiN7QIVCj6tBh0wow5gEAQYAiABEgIrCPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Probably camped next to or on a bear trail going around the shoreline.
Maybe not, but I bet they didn't camp 50 yards or more from the shore of lake / river that bears follow.

View Quote

The thing they didn't mention in the article was food . I'm going to assume though most likely they followed the correct way to store food where they were.

The article does say officials don't know what provoked the attack but being that far out on a kayak camping trip is not something most first time
campers do . Sounds like they were seasoned in remote camping . If they did cook at the campsite and leave food around my guess is now they won't say they did anyways.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

“bear why are you here”

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Black bears aren't dangerous.  Grizzly's can be.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top