Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/25/2022 3:31:51 PM EDT
It has nothing to do with the concept of the rifle itself and everything to do with nothing seems to standardized.

I bought a billet 80 lower last year sometime because it was on a huge clearance sale. I had no intention to build it as I don't really want or need one. Well then a complete rifle kit goes on sale and god dammit I might as well build this thing now. I'll have an AR10 for $600. So I finally got around to finishing the thing this weekend and I'm way unimpressed. I'm not calling either company out because I believe all parts are in spec for their design but they aren't very compatible with each other despite advertising being the same pattern.

1. The roll pin for the bolt hold open just fell in loosely. Did not need driven in.
2. The take down pins are too short for the receiver and so the detents don't engage correctly.
3. The rear take down pin I had to grind a flat spot on so it would even work with the lower contours.
4. I had to grind off and custom clearance the buffer tube so that the buffer retainer pin was held correctly and let the upper close on the lower. Without the grinding, the upper would not mate to the lower at all.

Then I get all that done and I can't fully rack the bolt because the hammer interferes too much. This might be my problem from the machining but I haven't verified that yet and the trigger group functions and appears to be in place exactly where it should.

So in short, fuck the AR10. This is the first and last one I ever dick with.

Pics for documentation.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR10 doesn't suck, your AR10 sucks
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Building my own was super confusing.  Like wtf is an upper tang and why are there multiple options?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of build is that?  Oh.....PSA.   Should have built an Aero instead.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a billet 80 lower last year sometime because it was on a huge clearance sale.
View Quote
This is where you went wrong.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It has nothing to do with the concept of the rifle itself and everything to do with nothing seems to standardized.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn’t the first run not work with certain triggers?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I, too, hate having to think for myself while assembling a piece of precision machinery.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing is wrong with AR-10s at all. Zero.

There are many different designs of AR-10s, get over it. Compare a POF piston gun with a standard "GI" AR-10. Or even compare a Ruger SR-762 with Ultimax type gas adjustment. However, the custom designs are only like 15-20% of what is out there. The special AR-10s are in the minority.

Your lower sucks balls and/or you should have known what custom pins and parts needed to be ordered which would work with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You make my point. With ar15's, I can throw an aero upper on a psa lower. I can throw a psa upper on an Anderson lower. You can literally use 15 different parts sources and they all work. I have several bullet ar15 80% lowers I've done and numerous forged ones too. Not a single issue. Then I do this bastard and WTF...

It's not a psa issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, glad I don't have to worry about different manufacturers or specs when I'm building FALs.

wait a second....
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!

I've built, machined and shot numerous 80% AR10s. Mine with a PSA barrel is about a 2MOA rifle. Buddy of mine has a couple, one is Creedmore and one 308, which both are sub minute guns that regularly shoot out to 1000 yards.

Only one I've come across with any issues is a cheapo upper that is acting under gassed. Severely under gassed even with my spicy loads. I'm betting the gas block is canted.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And once you finally get it put together it'll likely shoot like ass even with match ammo.
View Quote

because you put it together wrong, or had no idea what you are doing???  One of the two, your pick
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
So you picked shitty components and built a shitty rifle, and it's the AR10 that's the problem?

Skill issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
something i didn’t know before i built mine, the key to ar10s is knowing there isn’t a single spec. once i started diving into the build and learned that i went easy mode and bought both receivers and parts kit from aero.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
OP built a nine dollar ar10 and then blamed a generation of rifles. Bravo to you Sir. Bravo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You make my point. With ar15's, I can throw an aero upper on a psa lower. I can throw a psa upper on an Anderson lower. You can literally use 15 different parts sources and they all work. I have several bullet ar15 80% lowers I've done and numerous forged ones too. Not a single issue. Then I do this bastard and WTF...

It's not a psa issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a psa issue.

Shoot it if you got it to work. There are different designs as I mentioned in my above post which are not comparable with standard AR-10s. Who cares?

If you are building a private army or want to buy multiple uppers to slap on, then you should NOT have bought that custom lower.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Buys 80% lower on clearance. Complains about entire platform when it doesn't work. Oh how I love this place.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems more like your AR-10 sucks
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried buying a Ford frame and putting a Chevy engine and dodge transmission in it and nothing works right or fits together. Truck's suck donkey balls and it's definitely not my fault for betting a piss poor planner.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#23]
So you didn’t do your home work,  built basically the cheapest ar-10 possible, it turned out poorly and somehow it’s not your fault? Sad.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#24]
$600. Piece of shit isn't really a good bargain.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#25]
The complaint is valid.
Nothing has been standardized.

How do I blueprint one?  What?  No blueprint?

That's why I never even started to gather parts for an AR10.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love em.
View Quote

I’ve had them since 99 and they get shot more then anything ever since then.

Quoted:
View Quote

OP has been on the board since ‘08 and can’t figure out how to put together a working AR-10? Tolerance stacking is a real thing and it’s why you stick with one manufacturer of receivers and BCG when putting together an AR-10.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#28]
That's odd. My PSA Gen 2 is awesome. Shoots sub MOA with my hand loads. Functional as hell.  
  Maybe it's you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You get what you pay for.

Mine is made with quality parts and is a quality rifle.

I love it for what I use it for.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
something i didn’t know before i built mine, the key to ar10s is knowing there isn’t a single spec. once i started diving into the build and learned that i went easy mode and bought both receivers and parts kit from aero.
View Quote

Buying the upper and lower from the same company is key. Takes 95% of the problems out of the equation. Biggest thing after that is ensuring you get the correct pattern/height rail and correct mags.

Me? I’m a ZEV/MEGA MATEN man
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's not a psa issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a psa issue.

That’s not always true.  I’ve had several people bring me AR15s that they thought were plug and play and they were wrong.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Compatibility/interchangeability,does suck. You have to buy everything from same manufacturer and same generation. They are heavy and that sucks. I have an aero m5. No issues. I'm looking into the new ruger SF.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#33]
This heavy bitch…..

Can do this….

Attachment Attached File

Shot her around 500 rounds suppressed before it started to malfunction, I cleaned just the extractor groove only. No lube, popped it back in and she ran like a top. I took her to a two week observer/sniper school, she was drug through the mud and dirt. She was shot wet and dry. She was shot somewhat warm but mostly cold and a couple of times frozen. She didn’t stop, I finally burnt the barrel out and she still runs like a top. The new barrel is a DPMS pattern barrel.

This one had a FA binary in it and it ran like a top too but it was too expensive to shoot like that so out the trigger went. It didn’t malfunction either, it has a K can now…

Both of these have been reliable with all surplus, match and hand loads I’ve run through them….
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And once you finally get it put together it'll likely shoot like ass even with match ammo.
View Quote

His rifle?  Or all AR10s?  

Mine is typically 3/4 moa.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Not all hook and loop material is Velcro
Same with AR pattern .308 rifles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. I don’t currently own an AR10 but I have built a number of them and stacking tolerances matter.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, you still haven't.  That's not an AR-10.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I bult my 14 year old son one last year for Christmas.  I used all Aero parts bought from Schuyler Arms, and Everything went together fine and it shoots nicely!
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.  Should’ve been the first post.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The complaint is valid.
Nothing has been standardized.

How do I blueprint one?  What?  No blueprint?

That's why I never even started to gather parts for an AR10.
View Quote

Wrong,
If you’re going to assemble a machine you should understand the machine.
Not doing the research and building a shitty machine reflects on the builder, not the machine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I had an SR762 clone that never ran right. Took it to a couple of gunsmiths over the years that said they fixed it and it still would not work correctly. Sold it at a significant loss but glad to be rid of it honestly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I bought a billet 80 lower last year sometime because it was on a huge clearance sale. I had no intention to build it as I don't really want or need one. Well then a complete rifle kit goes on sale and god dammit I might as well build this thing now. I'll have an AR10 for $600. So I finally got around to finishing the thing this weekend and I'm way unimpressed. I'm not calling either company out because I believe all parts are in spec for their design but they aren't very compatible with each other despite advertising being the same pattern.

1. The roll pin for the bolt hold open just fell in loosely. Did not need driven in.
2. The take down pins are too short for the receiver and so the detents don't engage correctly.
3. The rear take down pin I had to grind a flat spot on so it would even work with the lower contours.
4. I had to grind off and custom clearance the buffer tube so that the buffer retainer pin was held correctly and let the upper close on the lower. Without the grinding, the upper would not mate to the lower at all.

Then I get all that done and I can't fully rack the bolt because the hammer interferes too much. This might be my problem from the machining but I haven't verified that yet and the trigger group functions and appears to be in place exactly where it should.

Pics for documentation.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166565/20221125_114109_jpg-2613341.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166565/20221125_114104_jpg-2613343.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166565/20221125_113924_jpg-2613344.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/166565/20221125_113902_jpg-2613345.JPG
View Quote

That’s not an AR-10….
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View Quote

This. My two Armalite AR10s didn't have any of those problems. Weird.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#44]
My buddy says:

"Since there was less than 10,000 real AR-10s made, which contract version did your parts kit come from, AI or Colt?

AFAIK no or very few civilian made AR-10 parts fit the military AI or Colt guns.

If you're messing with civilian made .308 AR stuff, why not stick to one manufacturer?"
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#45]
OP has 3259 posts, been a member since 2008, and spent zero time in the AR Variants sub-forum.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had an SR762 clone that never ran right. Took it to a couple of gunsmiths over the years that said they fixed it and it still would not work correctly. Sold it at a significant loss but glad to be rid of it honestly.
View Quote

I got one of the first ones and know the designer.  Shot THOUSANDS of rounds, no issues. The adjustable gas system works very well and resembles the Ultimax gas system.

It was only discontinued because of the price drop of AR-15/AR-10 type rifles several years ago.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't think they suck, but they take a lot more research to get a good build if not buying all of the same companies parts at once. Even then you can get something like I have where I purchased a PTAC-10 lower years before I bought the PSA 6.5 Gen 2 upper. They fit together without issue and function is fine. They don't perfectly match aesthetically with the upper having an overhang that is covered by the PSA lower. For my 16" 308 AR, I used a Stag upper, lower, and handguard and everything matched perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Laughing in OBR Heavy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#50]
My 2 Armalites are flawless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top