Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So... these guys?

https://www.brownells.com/

View Quote
Yep expect the price of memberships to increase

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It will be interesting to see how new NRA discussion threads are moderated.

One step forward, two steps back?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
He who holds the gold makes the rules.

Will be interesting as a n00b to see what changes Brownells makes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how new NRA discussion threads are moderated.

One step forward, two steps back?
View Quote
Theres a lot of weird idiosyncrasies this place has with moderation and rules that will have to be addressed at some point.

Either now or when the fed cracks down on social media as a whole.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow....

Mixed thoughts. I’ve seen the demise of other forums start this way but...if anyone can break the mold...ARFCOM and Brownells can.

The possibility of becoming a stronger voice for 1A/2A is exhilarating and possible as long as PC culture and lawyers stay out of the mix.

Regardless, I’m in for the ride. I’m appreciative for what the forum is now, thankful for the leadership, and hopeful for even brighter days.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.  I'm not optimistic.

When the day comes that the Brownells believe the chatter here negatively reflects upon their business, they will drop the hammer on Arfcom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please don't do to arfcom what happened to the hide.....never liked that place to begin with, but after it changed hands it went downhill quick.
This.  I'm not optimistic.

When the day comes that the Brownells believe the chatter here negatively reflects upon their business, they will drop the hammer on Arfcom.
That's a HUGE drawback I see. Every time some sandy vagina reads something here they don't like they start a boycott Brownells campaign. Speech gets cracked down on and dumbed down.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
BRAKING: Arfcom active user chart for Q3 2019 released:
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope the search function will work better than the current one, but if Brownell’s has anything to do with it, it will suck as badly as theirs does.
View Quote
I chuckled in an impartial way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Better than Brownells' AR15.com, abbreviated BARFCOM
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow....

Mixed thoughts. I’ve seen the demise of other forums start this way but...if anyone can break the mold...ARFCOM and Brownells can.

The possibility of becoming a stronger voice for 1A/2A is exhilarating and possible as long as PC culture and lawyers stay out of the mix.

Regardless, I’m in for the ride. I’m appreciative for what the forum is now, thankful for the leadership, and hopeful for even brighter days.
View Quote
Meh, I'd turn the reins over to Nolo and Aimless who both seem like 100% supporters of the causes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They get me!

Ok, so 2nd Adventure Group gets a strong voice in the community and an opportunity to help bring change to both arfcom and the community at large. We have some fun things planned for the industry, fun things planned for all of you, and fun things planned for the larger group of gun owners and 2A supporters. The goal is growth and expansion and the ability to fill needs for the 2a community that have been stifled by all the liberal platforms out there in control of too much. So folks like google and facebook and amazon who provide a liberal option have no opposition on the conservative side and thus no fear of shutting doors on us. Whatever 2nd group lets me pursue, or I should say whatever we pursue together, will be focused on an improved outreach to a segment of society too long bullied. Now there's no promises here, but the goal of this thing is to shake things up for the benefit of all.

As I have said before. We are not at an ending but at a new beginning. I am very excited to be part of that!
View Quote
Beginning of what?

Is it correct to assume "joined a family" means "was bought by", rather than "allied with"?

If you're being held against your will and can only speak in corporate, just respond in underlined italics and we'll call the authorities.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
SH and GT were purchased by an advertising company who utilized their traffic to increase profits on their ad inventory. They did not care about the community or its future.

This is an entirely different situation. I can't stress it enough and I don't know who cares to really see that. I know change is tough and fear leads us to think the world is ending, but give it a few months and see if anything changes before worrying about the sky falling!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The elephant in the room question - What's Brownells getting out of it? They didn't spent what I assume is a good bit of money for nothing.
How will this affect users, advertisers and sponsors?  Snipershide is a solid example of selling out and failing to be relevant afterwards.
SH and GT were purchased by an advertising company who utilized their traffic to increase profits on their ad inventory. They did not care about the community or its future.

This is an entirely different situation. I can't stress it enough and I don't know who cares to really see that. I know change is tough and fear leads us to think the world is ending, but give it a few months and see if anything changes before worrying about the sky falling!
I think as far as pro-2A companies go, Brownell's is in the top tier.  That's the only thing that gives me hope for this endeavor.

If Arfcom keeps all the aspects that make it Arfcom, but also becomes the online hub for a wider pro-2A online & social media presence that will be a huge win, not only for the members of Arfcom, but also the 2A.

However, I completely understand the trepidation in some posts, because if this great future happens it will go down as the one and only time a forum was acquired by new ownership and didn't turn into total shit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They get me!

Ok, so 2nd Adventure Group gets a strong voice in the community and an opportunity to help bring change to both arfcom and the community at large. We have some fun things planned for the industry, fun things planned for all of you, and fun things planned for the larger group of gun owners and 2A supporters. The goal is growth and expansion and the ability to fill needs for the 2a community that have been stifled by all the liberal platforms out there in control of too much. So folks like google and facebook and amazon who provide a liberal option have no opposition on the conservative side and thus no fear of shutting doors on us. Whatever 2nd group lets me pursue, or I should say whatever we pursue together, will be focused on an improved outreach to a segment of society too long bullied. Now there's no promises here, but the goal of this thing is to shake things up for the benefit of all.

As I have said before. We are not at an ending but at a new beginning. I am very excited to be part of that!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I, for one, welcome our new mail order overlords.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

•A better equipment exchange
View Quote
I'm curious about this in particular.  The "EE" here is great, in my opinion.  How do you make it better?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What did they get for the site?

Are we talking hundreds, thousands, millions?

I'm sure it's my business.  
View Quote
The bourbon had been flowing at the Brownell's residence, and then they saw Goatboy's late night TV ad...

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Well. I'm not leaving.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#23]
DO TURN THE FORUMS INTO SOME FA€3BOOK ALGORITHM LIKE NEWSFEED! please?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I added it to my to do list.
View Quote
And HAM icons?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if some sponsors would hesitate at now having to pay money to a competitor to advertise.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Any discounts on this?  CCW VEST
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Does this mean we get crappy gifts for our membership dues?

EDIT for clarity: like the NRA
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
so....Will the Under_Scores finally get banned?
View Quote
First thought through my head.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
@DeathHates should I do my thing?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Will Brownells mention this or publicize AR15.com?

Just looked on their website and Facebook page, no mention so far.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Better than Brownells' AR15.com, abbreviated BARFCOM
View Quote

Seriously though, sounds like a good thing!
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's your account.    
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Combination of ARF membership and Brownells EDGE?

EDGECOM!

ARFELLS!

BRARF!
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#38]
My bid was not accepted.

I was going to turn this place into a cooking forum.

Looking for a more masculine crowd.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#39]
So ARF will turn into a more generic news feed than its current form?

Looking more towards the "mile wide and inch deep" demographic it sounds like.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Perfectly fine. There are no changes planned to anything as it exists. We have projects in the works already for new tools for companies and a brand spanking new EE with all the trimmings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Perfectly fine. There are no changes planned to anything as it exists. We have projects in the works already for new tools for companies and a brand spanking new EE with all the trimmings.
Well...it cannot be any worse than the old "NEW" EE...

Quoted:
Will the new EE be for members only?  Or members only able to post for sale ads?
NO
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will Brownells mention this or publicize AR15.com?

Just looked on their website and Facebook page, no mention so far.
View Quote
I think some folks interpreting this the wrong way.

IF I read what GB is saying correctly - Brownells does NOT now own or is a partner in ARFCOM.

Rather ARFCOM is now owned by the 2nd adventure holding company.  Which also owns Brownells.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Pete B this morning after a 2 day bender...
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well. I'm not leaving.
View Quote
Damn it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#45]
As far as I'm concerned, this transition to corporate ownership can only end for this site in exactly one way:

Seriously this is one FUCKED UP DECISION and I do not support it.

I was about to renew my paid membership but I'm seriously rethinking that now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Too much hyped up corporate speech to believe it's a good thing
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I guess the question for Pete and Frank is beans or no beans
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And HAM icons?
View Quote
What would the ham icon look like, though? A 400lb blob with two pocket protectors, slide rule, Coke bottle thick glasses, and a dozen HT radios attached to his tan tacticool vest and a truckers hat with his call sign in blinking LEDs? Oh yeah, and don't forget the powered scooter with the Skywarn megnetic signs plastered all over it.
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top