Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask the penguin, he has a good history of picking well made cutting tools
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really depends but I would bet many here carry at least a folder and/or a multitool.  Add a belt knife and it could be few.  Knives (including saws, axes, etc.) are just tools, some are more efficient at certain tasks than others.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/Alone%20EDC%202_zpsigkulbxb.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many knives you plan on carrying?

Really depends but I would bet many here carry at least a folder and/or a multitool.  Add a belt knife and it could be few.  Knives (including saws, axes, etc.) are just tools, some are more efficient at certain tasks than others.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Bushcraft/.highres/Alone%20EDC%202_zpsigkulbxb.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6

@ROCK6 what knife is that on the lower right?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@ROCK6 what knife is that on the lower right?
View Quote

@alphajaguars It's the Firecat model from Ed Martin Knives.  I have a few of his blades and love them.  Expensive, but they're custom and well built.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
High Budget:

Spartan Blades Harsey Difensa

Medium Budget:

Esee 4

Low Budget:

Morakniv Garberg
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
High Budget:

Spartan Blades Harsey Difensa

Medium Budget:

Esee 4

Low Budget:

Morakniv
View Quote

Good layout.  Spartan Knives are more of a semi-custom production and while they can drive a high budget...once you start getting into handmade knives from established knifemakers, watchout!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good layout.  Spartan Knives are more of a semi-custom production and while they can drive a high budget...once you start getting into handmade knives from established knifemakers, watchout!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/BRT%20Kwaiken_zpsaq9oygvk.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

Beautiful
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i want to be ROCK6 when i grow up.
View All Quotes

goddamn, the gentleman from Montucky ain't kidding. I would also like to be ROCK6 when I grow up.

@ROCK6 what's the missus bother you more about, buying knives or buying guns? I bought one CS Ultimate Hunter, then bought another when I heard they'd been sold (good knives, kinda rough); the gf found out and was not appreciative.

My bedside get-up-and-go-
Attachment Attached File

(my other XL Voyager is downstairs in the rental we're redoing, my other toms and my axe are spread around )

I would greatly appreciate no one telling me to buy a Junglas 2. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Years and years ago, I purchased a "box" of knives for a hundred dollars.  It ended up being all new in box protech and microtech and buck and cold steel and spyderco stuff.  I sold off a lot of it, and kept a few.  Have a couple pat crawford devil darts in there.  

Anyways, I'm not really a knife person, and although I had some really nice stuff, it always felt like someone else's collection, because it kinda was.  

I had a few kershaws and CRKT knives, but nothing fixed blade of my own choosing save for a Kabar.  

This damn site and its knife threads made me go berserk last month.  Since then I've acquired another sog spirit, a S&W like it, a cold steel boar spear.  A smaller Kabar, three different condor machetes, a woodmans pal, an ontario survival knife and a machete, an esse 4 and an ontario rat 7.  
Oh yeah, and a BK2 and micarta handles and a sheath.  And one of those silly bear grylls parang machetes.  And a bunch of sharpening supplies.  Thinking I need a splitting maul.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@JLPettimoreIII

Both my original #1 and the #3 Boat knives are stainless but my #4 Survival was custom with carbon steel blade.  While the carbon steel requires a little more attention for maintenance, I can get a much better and longer lasting edge with their carbon steel.  If I wasn't around salt water all the time, I would opt for their carbon steel blades.  With enough use, it will just get a beautiful patina and have a natural protective coating.

ROCK6
View Quote
good to know.  leaning toward carbon steel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
@ROCK6

Brother, you could do a thread on your collection alone...I went on the Ed Martin website...there is a knife on there called the Pilot that is calling to me....
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@brachiosqur

@ROCK6 what's the missus bother you more about, buying knives or buying guns?

I would greatly appreciate no one telling me to buy a Junglas 2
View Quote

Missed the other Ed Martin knife and a couple of bushcraft customs.  Love them for wood work, but not the most ideal, general purpose belt knives.

Not quite as many guns as knives...but I've been on a braced pistol kick recently...just some of the pistols; some of the knives pair up very well

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have a small tote box full of Moraknivs of various makes and models, but I would have to say that the Companion is hands-down my favorite.

I have a carbon steel Companion I use for general food prep needs, and a stainless steel Companion I use for fishing. I also have a stainless steel filet knife for fishing.

I have a few Bushcraft models, but they feel bulky compared to the Companion.

I also have a carbon steel Basic I've beat on pretty thoroughly, so that I don't abuse my Companion any more than necessary. The spine and handle are pretty chewed up from playing around with quartz as flint, but it's a perfect size for small projects. I think the Basic's best feature is the large finger guard, giving it a very secure grip, which I like. The Craftline and Pro models have the same grip design.

I know the Kansbol and Garberg models are popular, but the lack of a finger guard makes me nervous. It looks like it would be too easy to slip forward on the grip when applying any forward pressure. I know they're great knives, I just happen to be rather picky and risk averse when it comes to knives. I've broken a few folders over the years, which has made me cautious of where my fingers are in relation to the blade.

For a general purpose knife, it's still hard to imagine that these $100+ knives being posted are somehow better or more capable than a Morakniv Companion.

Granted, some of these high end knives are practically works of art, but I personally would rather have a dozen Companions than one really expensive knife.

View Quote

I'm a fan of the Companion. Also the 510. No guard doesn't bother me. I've gotten used to none and ones that have a guard (511) get in my way.

Another solid performer at low cost is Russell Green River trapper. There are several flavors. A 5" trapper was chosen by one of the contestants on the first Alone series. He was runner up.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Had to do a little inventory; missing a couple  These are what I consider my collection of "belt knives"  I have a larger custom and Cold Steel SRK that are at the maximum blade length/OAL size for what I would consider a belt knife.  Of course, I have a few dozen Mora knives which are great knives, but for something more substantial, many of these fit the bill a little better (the Mora 2000 is in this group).

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135129.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210416_135913.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

LOL. Now I don't feel so bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL. Now I don't feel so bad.
View Quote

You haven't seen the folders and the "big" blades...not quite what I think the OP was looking for though

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Missed the other Ed Martin knife and a couple of bushcraft customs.  Love them for wood work, but not the most ideal, general purpose belt knives.

Not quite as many guns as knives...but I've been on a braced pistol kick recently...just some of the pistols; some of the knives pair up very well

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210316_181912.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/20210306_111528.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/Pistols_2019_zpsfl0sqvcy.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote
that BHP is making me comfortably erect.

if you need a long lost son to leave all that to someday you know where to find me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Flat Rock Forge Fighter
This big boy is 80CrV2 .187" thick and 12" overall. It will get the job done anywhere on earth.
" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a LGS, East County Guns, that is like being a kid in a candy store. They sell Esee, Fieldcraft, Tops, Mora, and tons of other knife brands. They also carry axes. Almost every case is half knife, half handguns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread cost me money.

Just ordered an ESEE 4.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#21]
While I can appreciate the idea of only having one tool, a nice hatchet or axe makes all the difference in the world.
I'd probably take the BK becker 7 for a do everything knife.

My go to hand axe is a Husky carpenters axe, it's perfect for damn near any application you'd need in the bush, but I carry a knife too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep, 90% of the people would be far better off with a quality skinning knife vs a fighting knife or a survival knife..Some fuck tard comes at me with a knife I am going to show him why I carry firearms...Thats why I said I earlier if I had to leave with just one, its gonna be one of my skinners...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which isn't all that accurate.   Gutting, skinning and processing wild game is alot more likely a scenario for a survival knife than fighting is.  In that case a huge knife like some of swords posted here are more of a detriment than a help.

Yep, 90% of the people would be far better off with a quality skinning knife vs a fighting knife or a survival knife..Some fuck tard comes at me with a knife I am going to show him why I carry firearms...Thats why I said I earlier if I had to leave with just one, its gonna be one of my skinners...

Only one knife and no other edges tools are going to leave you wanting something a bit more useful for bigger wood, whether it's building a shelter, etc.

I carry an axe for that kind of shit, but if I only had one tool I'd take something bigger.
If I'm starving in the bush, I can cut up a fish to a moose with a bigger knife, it may not be pretty but I won't starve, or freeze to death.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Any recommendations for a high quality lightweight option? Mora companion is the obvious one but I’d like something a little less disposable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I could build an empire with a ESEE 6.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a high quality lightweight option? Mora companion is the obvious one but I’d like something a little less disposable.
View Quote
Look at Kellam Swedish knives.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Just ordered an ESEE 4.
View Quote
i want the stainless one with bright orange handles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any recommendations for a high quality lightweight option? Mora companion is the obvious one but I'd like something a little less disposable.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-carbon-steel/63681

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-carbon-steel/63686

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/j-p-peltonen-sissipuukko/11824

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/rokka-knives-korpisoturi/64168

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/woodsknife-forest-120/32470
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Another plus for Tops Bob/Brothers of Bushcraft
Plenty of pics of it in here already.
Smaller one is their mini scandi

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
good to know.  leaning toward carbon steel.
View Quote

Cold steel makes a 'Canadian belt knife' that is a knock off of the Grohmann pattern.  For $12 it scratched my itch for wanting to try the blade shape.  I use it in the kitchen to trim chicken weekly now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just ordered an ESEE 4.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Only one knife and no other edges tools are going to leave you wanting something a bit more useful for bigger wood, whether it's building a shelter, etc.

I carry an axe for that kind of shit, but if I only had one tool I'd take something bigger.
If I'm starving in the bush, I can cut up a fish to a moose with a bigger knife, it may not be pretty but I won't starve, or freeze to death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm an older student of the late Ron Hood and he was a pretty big advocate of having a large blade (often, his only secondary tool was the Swiss Army Rucksack model).  For me, a "large knife" has a minimum of an 8" blade and I prefer those in the 10-12" range.  There's reason why most of the military/survival schools I attended said the 12" machete was pretty much the universal survival tool. While I do love big blades and if I was choosing tools for primitive outings, I would likely grab one:

However, if I'm actually planning and I'm wearing clothes and have a few other basics, I've found a belt knife and small folding knife will do about 90% of what I need to do. A larger chopper (and larger saw) will make a significant difference if you're having to build a shelter or needing to process a crap done of firewood.  The difference is one is more mobile than the other; ounces add up to pounds and pounds equal pain, and all that.  That said, serious chopping with a knife with only a 4-6" blade sucks...which is why I carry a small Silky saw.

Quoted:

Best I've found and used that deviates from the Scandinavian choices are the Spyderco Moran series:

This are a little too light for a do-all knife, but are excellent hunting/fishing blades and will do quite well as a camp-kitchen utility knife.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

...once you start getting into handmade knives from established knifemakers, watchout!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/EDC/.highres/BRT%20Kwaiken_zpsaq9oygvk.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

ROCK6
View Quote

Thanks, you just cost me some money.  I didn’t know I had a hole in my knife collection until I saw that...Just ordered a 6” Kraiken.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Of course a knife is no substitute for a hatchet except in an emergency.  I would have thought that's a given.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which isn't all that accurate.   Gutting, skinning and processing wild game is alot more likely a scenario for a survival knife than fighting is.  In that case a huge knife like some of swords posted here are more of a detriment than a help.

Yep.

My bushcraft/backwoods setup is a LCK (Large Camp Knife in the 9-10" blade range) paired with a Silky folding saw. Better all around flexibility than a hatchet/axe. Ability to chop, limb, split, saw, cut, field dress...

Been camping since I was a kid, and I've learned to do just about anything knife related with the bigger knives. If I REALLY need a smaller blade for fine work, I generally also always have a folder on me.

If I'm picking one fixed blade to take into the boonies, it's going to be in the 9-10" range. Had a Cold Steel Trailmaster for years, but it's been replaced with a semi-custom CPK MC (Carothers Performance Knives 10" blade Medium Chopper).

For an idea on what the company means when they say they focus on the Performance of their knives: everything from the ergonomics of the handles, blade geometry (even optimizing the bevels and grinds for chopping without binding. Something they perfected with their winning Blade Competition Chopper design) right to their optimized heat treat.

Cutting and durability demonstration, 3V Field Knife

For folks preferring smaller knives, they have the ~4" Field Knife in the video above, as well as a ~4" DEK1 (Defensive Everyday Knife), and a ~3" blade EDC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered an ESEE 4.

You must he a brother from a different mother.
I went with the black blade and orange handles.
Although i think I’m going to get a set of the orange/black tiger stripe grips too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Ontario Knife Works M9 Bayonet

[img]https://m9bayonet.com/images/ontario-m9/m9_ontario02.jpg[/img

All the multi-purpose camping/combat/survival knife you'll ever needed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
26 years in the Marine Corps, never encountered something that my Swiss Army knife, Gerber multi tool or Kabar couldn’t handle. I don’t think one is the answer as they are suited for different tasks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#40]
The knife of Rambo sucks for processing game or cleaning fish.

There are combat knives, and there are utility knives. I doubt there is a knife that does both well.

That’s just my opinion, though... worth what you paid for it,
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I dont have one yet, but I have been digging the Gough Custom Resolute for years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ka-Bar BK-7. Street price of $100 or a little less, everyone should own a few. Good knife to stash behind a truck seat or in a UTV.  

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-cmbujzyffl/products/35021/images/115062/BKT-ComUtil-BK7__23960.1572884077.386.513.jpg?c=2
View Quote

Agree. I picked up a used one on eBay for 75. The guy used it once on a camping trip to baton wood. Great deal for a great knife. I like the BK line of KaBar, have the 5 and 15 too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I dont have one yet, but I have been digging the Gough Custom Resolute for years.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/blade-forward-oblique_a9a276e4-cddf-42b0-1910806.JPG
View Quote

I like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe it's just because a really worn one pinched the shit out of my hand years ago, but I kind of don't like knives where the grips are in two halves screwed to the tang.  I'd rather have a wraparound molded grip.  Anybody else?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Far from a “do all”, but I’ve been digging this little guy for awhile. Dan Tope 3V.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#48]
A mini-Kep I just finished, .125" 80CrV2, 3" cutting edge ground to .005" BTE,
end-cut canvas micarta scales, this is a nice EDC fixed blade
" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Who are you guys going with for Kydex sheaths? I have a Tops Tex Creek.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who are you guys going with for Kydex sheaths? I have a Tops Tex Creek.
View Quote

I make my own
" />
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top