Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ontario Knife Works M9 Bayonet
https://m9bayonet.com/images/ontario-m9/m9_ontario01.jpg
[url]https://m9bayonet.com/images/ontario-m9/m9_ontario02.jpg[/img

All the multi-purpose camping/combat/survival knife you'll ever needed.
View Quote

Surprisingly poor design.  No tang.  Hollow handle, without the benefit of storage.

I have several...I do believe I'm going to replace them all with OKC3S.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Which isn't all that accurate.   Gutting, skinning and processing wild game is alot more likely a scenario for a survival knife than fighting is.  In that case a huge knife like some of swords posted here are more of a detriment than a help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything you can do with a small knife, you can do with a big knife.  

Make sure you have a big knife.  

That's the only useful info I have.

Which isn't all that accurate.   Gutting, skinning and processing wild game is alot more likely a scenario for a survival knife than fighting is.  In that case a huge knife like some of swords posted here are more of a detriment than a help.

To clarify: I mean "big" relative to a (folding) pocket knife.  

Some of the much larger recommendations I see here wouldn't count, to me, as knives.  Like, this machete-looking monstrosities.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some of the much larger recommendations I see here wouldn't count, to me, as knives.  Like, this machete-looking monstrosities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything you can do with a small knife, you can do with a big knife.  

Make sure you have a big knife.  

That's the only useful info I have.

It comes down to use model.  Some people seem to think “survival” means using a knife for knife fights and hacking brush.  These people will often shout you down if you suggest that crafting, making shelters, and processing game would be far more common uses (for which “bigger is better” is actually counterproductive).

I have spent a lot of time outdoors. I have tried to do those jobs with a big knife, and was very disappointed.  For me, a little (4”, give or take) knife does everything I need to do with a knife.  Anything requiring a bigger blade would be better off done with a different tool.

End of the world fantasies, for me at least, revolve more around acquiring a harem of soccer moms rather than sentry removal or knife fights.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It's an oversimplification, of course, but to me "survival knife" means if you were shipwrecked with one knife as your do-all tool, which one would you pick?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's an oversimplification, of course, but to me "survival knife" means if you were shipwrecked with one knife as your do-all tool, which one would you pick?
View Quote

Something like this

Attachment Attached File

But probably in some flavor of stainless vs the 80CrV2 that it is.

7.5" blade, 3/16" thick. Something that dances the line between small, thickish machete and large, thinnish knife. Bonus points for a small (2-3") blade piggiebacked on the sheath.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Something like this

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/IMG_20201111_173956_846_jpg-1914649.JPG
But probably in some flavor of stainless vs the 80CrV2 that it is.

7.5" blade, 3/16" thick. Something that dances the line between small, thickish machete and large, thinnish knife. Bonus points for a small (2-3") blade piggiebacked on the sheath.
View Quote

WTF!? Why has this not made an appearance in the support group thread!
The shape is beautiful! Do want!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

WTF!? Why has this not made an appearance in the support group thread!
The shape is beautiful! Do want!
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it was, back in November-ish.  Wic hated it. Lol

Thank you.

I've only made one of these, I'm not sure if I'm ready for another. Lol. It's quite a bit different than what I normally make.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wic hates everything. Make that in 3v and I’m in for sure!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The new ESEE 4 arrived today!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Esse 5
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  "Sole survivor of a plane crash in the Pacific Northwest" for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Gerber Strongarm that I like, but if I’m headed to the woods I take my Condor Warlock machete and a Swiss Army knife.

The Warlock is a beast. I keep it pretty sharp in the belly for chopping, but I keep the concave part near the grip shaving sharp for detail work. It’s big, but for camp tasks it’s perfect. Even works great as a burger flipper in a pinch.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks, you just cost me some money.  I didn’t know I had a hole in my knife collection until I saw that...Just ordered a 6” Kraiken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks, you just cost me some money.  I didn’t know I had a hole in my knife collection until I saw that...Just ordered a 6” Kraiken.

@whoanelly

Dude, you won't be disappointed (just broke for a while).  Ben is incredible.  I actually ordered mine while in Afghanistan and he added the Kydex sheath along with his ingenious belt-slip sheath.  He's a master craftsman...

Quoted:
Anyone used a Terava?

@50_Shooter
I have the 110 Terava and it’s a solid knife.  Interestingly enough, I have the 240 Skrama enroute…

Quoted:
ROCK6
I like Becker also.

And other large knives.

@50_Shooter

Your BK9 looks great; love the scales, and Spyderco-Hossom is awesome!

Quoted:
It comes down to use model.  Some people seem to think “survival” means using a knife for knife fights and hacking brush.  These people will often shout you down if you suggest that crafting, making shelters, and processing game would be far more common uses (for which “bigger is better” is actually counterproductive).

I have spent a lot of time outdoors. I have tried to do those jobs with a big knife, and was very disappointed.  For me, a little (4”, give or take) knife does everything I need to do with a knife.  Anything requiring a bigger blade would be better off done with a different tool.

There's a lot packaged in this comment.  I recall an old mid 90's Tactical Knives article where the guy used a folder to construct a shelter, collect grass for insulation, process wood for a fire and carve triggers for traps...it was the Benchmade AFCK.  Ironically, I'm a student of the later Ron Hood's school of survival and he was a master with a large knife.  I always said large knives are for experts, as are smaller knives.  My biggest issue is that it's a PITA to carry a big knife.  I've found a good belt knife between 4-5.5" blade, and I can do about 90% of what I need for most primitive tool use.  Oh, and a belt knife is much easier to have on my than many of my bigger blades.

I'll defer the soccer moms to you

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@whoanelly

Dude, you won't be disappointed (just broke for a while).  Ben is incredible.  I actually ordered mine while in Afghanistan and he added the Kydex sheath along with his ingenious belt-slip sheath.  He's a master craftsman...

@50_Shooter
I have the 110 Terava and it’s a solid knife.  Interestingly enough, I have the 240 Skrama enroute…

@50_Shooter

Your BK9 looks great; love the scales, and Spyderco-Hossom is awesome!

There's a lot packaged in this comment.  I recall an old mid 90's Tactical Knives article where the guy used a folder to construct a shelter, collect grass for insulation, process wood for a fire and carve triggers for traps...it was the Benchmade AFCK.  Ironically, I'm a student of the later Ron Hood's school of survival and he was a master with a large knife.  I always said large knives are for experts, as are smaller knives.  My biggest issue is that it's a PITA to carry a big knife.  I've found a good belt knife between 4-5.5" blade, and I can do about 90% of what I need for most primitive tool use.  Oh, and a belt knife is much easier to have on my than many of my bigger blades.

I'll defer the soccer moms to you

ROCK6
View Quote

I like the way you think. I agree that a good 4-5' blade belt knife can solve most of the world's problems.
I have made a lot of knives in that range for guys that really use them.
#flatrockforge IG
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought an Esee 4 and a Ka-Bar Ek 45 because of this thread
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top