Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
CTS-V
BMW M3 or M4
Camaro ZL1 Interior on these are a lot nicer than you would think.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
For $50k, I'd buy 2-3 used luxury vehicles rather then 1 for $50k.

Get a nice Lexus SUV or Sedan, and then a sporty Audi or BMW.

Lexus's are superbly reliable, I bought one with 110k miles on it and it still ran like a dream.

Ditto BMW - the one I bough had over 100k miles on it, but was in great condition and was just as reliable as my Honda.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd get a 911 myself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For under 60k, I'd buy a less than year old dealer car, very nice Lexus.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Talk about tone deaf.  K900 sounds like the robot dog from the old Buck Rodgers show.
It’s just the K9 here.

The K3, K5, and K7 all get “cool” sounding names in the US. But they seemed to want to stay close on this one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe you would say that isn't possible but what would be a good decked out car in that range. Mercedes? BMW? Something my wife and I can go to town or on trips in.

I wouldn't care about massive hp as much as a fun and comfortable car to drive. 2 door or 4. I don't care about a convertible.

I would consider used but only low miles so keep that in mind for recommendations in that price range.
View Quote
If you have to ask (no offense, just that you probably an enthusuast of a particular brand), go Lexus.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Jaguar F Type.

Slick styling, great interior, something you don't see every fourth car on the road, and decent power even on the non R model.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lexus. All the luxury plus reliability.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Genesis.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

2015-16 Range Rover Sport.
View Quote
The maintenance will make you poor. I had the Supercharged version. $3000 for brakes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Audi A7
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got one of these. THIS is one of the best answers. The car is sublime. Unlike anything you expect to wear a chevy badge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've got one of these. THIS is one of the best answers. The car is sublime. Unlike anything you expect to wear a chevy badge.
This option might also be the one that holds value better than most.   There are not many of them around and there's a pretty strong market for them which will probably continue to be the case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Used Macan.
View Quote
My uncle loves his.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are rural SW VA, I would get one that is AWD. Maintenance is going to be an issue for any fancy car, but if it AWD at least you can drive it in the snow.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gaaaag!
View All Quotes
LOL.   What are you driving?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This option might also be the one that holds value better than most.   There are not many of them around and there's a pretty strong market for them which will probably continue to be the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good video review:

https://youtu.be/YbLweooe3aM
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're that out of touch with cars, honestly a new Honda Accord would probably blow your mind as far as all the amenities it has.

OP What is your definition of luxury? How long do you want to own it for? How will it be driven/used? How cost averse are you to operation and maintenance costs with vehicles? These would help narrow down requirements.

If you are looking for a premium marque just to have a "name" and you want something smaller for your wife, that will not break the bank, then i'd suggest the following new or used:

Lexus ES
Acura TSX, ILX, TL/TLX
Genesis G80
Lincoln MKS or MKZ
Volvo (pretty much any model starts well under this)

You can get those new or used (i'd recommend CPO) for well under that budget.

If you want to go full retard then i'd go for the following new:
Jaguar XF
Alfa Romeo Giulia
BMW 3 series
Audi A4

If you can go used and want the top line models then you can look at:
Audi A6/A7/A8
BMW 5 or 7 series
Mercedes E or S class
Lexus LS
Acura RLX
Genesis G90
Kia K900

If you're going to go new I would consider leasing. A lot of premium vehicles offer free maintenance over the course of the warranty period which will follow the leasing period. If after 2-4 years you figure out you don't really want/need/care for all that luxury you can just bring it back and try something else or go back to something more mainstream. If you do like it you can just pay off/finance the remainder of what's left, keeping in mind the maintenance costs you'll start incurring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#21]
New Jaguar de awe diesel.  
My wife’s has been totally bulletproof.
40+mpg and enough get up and go to blow almost anyone away.
Ever since Tata motors bought them (and Land Rover) quality and reliability has
skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#22]
nvm
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you're that out of touch with cars, honestly a new Honda Accord would probably blow your mind as far as all the amenities it has.

OP What is your definition of luxury? How long do you want to own it for? How will it be driven/used? How cost averse are you to operation and maintenance costs with vehicles? These would help narrow down requirements.

If you are looking for a premium marque just to have a "name" and you want something smaller for your wife, that will not break the bank, then i'd suggest the following new or used:

Lexus ES
Acura TSX, ILX, TL/TLX
Genesis G80
Lincoln MKS or MKZ
Volvo (pretty much any model starts well under this)

You can get those new or used (i'd recommend CPO) for well under that budget.

If you want to go full retard then i'd go for the following new:
Jaguar XF
Alfa Romeo Giulia
BMW 3 series
Audi A4

If you can go used and want the top line models then you can look at:
Audi A6/A7/A8
BMW 5 or 7 series
Mercedes E or S class
Lexus LS
Acura RLX
Genesis G90
Kia K900

If you're going to go new I would consider leasing. A lot of premium vehicles offer free maintenance over the course of the warranty period which will follow the leasing period. If after 2-4 years you figure out you don't really want/need/care for all that luxury you can just bring it back and try something else or go back to something more mainstream. If you do like it you can just pay off/finance the remainder of what's left, keeping in mind the maintenance costs you'll start incurring.
View Quote
The most cogent and perspicuous post on the internet so far today.
OP - read this, leave the thread and go buy a car.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Given your location, I would be cogniscent of service infrastructure - unless you plan on servicing /repairing yourself.  We have friends who live at White Sulphur Springs and bitch about the 50 miles to the nearest MB dealer.

You say Lux but that has about as much meaning as "sports car" anymore. Can you nail it down a bit more? Lot of stuff here isn't exactly Lux.

Viewing from a traditonal definition, none of all the people I know with GS, LS, E Class or S Class bitch about them. They also tend to have an unbroken string of identical vehicles. Most aren't  "car guys".

I can't say the same for my "car guy" friends who have owned  7s or 8s - one who just dumped his D4 S8 after a string of issues. My old neighbor who had an Alpina B7 swore he never had a lick of trouble including eating oil, but he didn't drive it much. These were all new buys.

Three who owned used 2nd gen Conti GT (IIRC a V8) Range Rover HSE and a 09 Quattroporte were all dumpster fires. There's a reason high dollar marques depreciate like penguin off a skyscraper.

Given your loc, stated preference, and the fact you already have one piece of transportation randomness, my pick would be a CPO LS or GS Lux Pack AWD - snow - (GS are very vanilla tho). I do hate the new fish mouth. Otherwise I'd consider a CPO E - you can easily find very low mile ('15-'16 sub 15k) CPO E400 4Matic (assuming snow again) well below your price. They are srsly great luxury cars.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]
New Genesis?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright I guess I need to identify my idea of luxury as many have commented on. I realize of course that most cars are getting these features as they trickle down from the top. But some people do it better than others.

Heated and cooled seats
Nice sound system... I am not an audio nerd so It just needs to sound awesome to the layman without me having to go aftermarket.
I think heated and cooled cup holders are an amazing idea
Cooled center console or glove box
Enough power to do anything I want in normal driving. I don't care about a true sports car type of speed. Truthfully though what car in this range wouldn't have power.
Nice predictable handling.
Quiet in the cab. Actually this is a big one.
Comfortable seating and roomy.
Styling that looks nice despite not really being able to put your finger on why it looks really nice. I am sure you guys know what I mean.

Other thoughts...
I need to be able to do the maintenance up to and including brakes.

We would keep the car six or seven years probably. It would be nice if its styling was still attractive in six or seven years.

Again, it is a vehicle we would use when not hauling dogs. It is for going to town or on trips. Not a daily driver but still needing to be reliable and sensible enough to take on a 6-7 hour trip.

So far the Lexus is popping up over and over so we will definitely look at that. I have to say the Jaguar is awesome and pulls my heart strings, I also think the wife would love that. The Porsche Panamera is beautiful, but for my area it is too flashy.

I really do appreciate all of the suggestions as I am most definitely not a car guy...two too many wheels.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The ownership horizon would cause me to question how much I would exchange for a lower level of issues.

If it were me, and I just went through this exercise, it's would still be a GS350 or E400. But you don't need 4 doors. That opens up Coupe and Covertible E class - but the quiet cabin might be an issue. In laws had a drop top E. It was quiet, but noticeably less so than other MBs in the family.

So I'll lay out a 2017 CPO sub 20k E400 Coupe.

Attachment Attached File

Checks all all the boxes and a legit refined 13 sec car.  Find one with AMG Trim and 19 inch wheels - they were running $40-$45 depending.

Under warranty, unlimited miles until in service anniversary 2022 - you can buy an additional year or maybe 2. Check the details - it's pretty extensive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Alright I guess I need to identify my idea of luxury as many have commented on. I realize of course that most cars are getting these features as they trickle down from the top. But some people do it better than others.

Heated and cooled seats
Nice sound system... I am not an audio nerd so It just needs to sound awesome to the layman without me having to go aftermarket.
I think heated and cooled cup holders are an amazing idea
Cooled center console or glove box
Enough power to do anything I want in normal driving. I don't care about a true sports car type of speed. Truthfully though what car in this range wouldn't have power.
Nice predictable handling.
Quiet in the cab. Actually this is a big one.
Comfortable seating and roomy.
Styling that looks nice despite not really being able to put your finger on why it looks really nice. I am sure you guys know what I mean.

Other thoughts...
I need to be able to do the maintenance up to and including brakes.

We would keep the car six or seven years probably. It would be nice if its styling was still attractive in six or seven years.

Again, it is a vehicle we would use when not hauling dogs, going to town, or on trips. Not a daily driver but still needing to be reliable and sensible enough to take on a 6-7 hour trip.

So far the Lexus is popping up over and over so we will definitely look at that. I have to say the Jaguar is awesome and pulls my heart strings, I also think the wife would love that. The Porsche Panamera is beautiful, but for my area it is too flashy.

I really do appreciate all of the suggestions as I am most definitely not a car guy...two too many wheels.
View Quote
I know you said you wanted a car, but your list sure seems like an SUV would be more appropriate.

BMW X5 and Audi Q7 would be at the top of my list given your wants and would likely retain their value much better than a sedan.  There is a reason sedans are going extinct.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The maintenance will make you poor. I had the Supercharged version. $3000 for brakes.
View Quote
Paid the same for my A5. Folks want luxury, it doesnt come cheap.

LOL at the upscale Toyota being "luxury". GD sometimes.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#30]
For $60K you can get a brand new 400hp AWD Lincoln MKZ.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Dodge charger srt8
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2008+

Maserati Quatroportte.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

She would love that honestly but reliability is absolute Shit by all accounts.
View Quote
Hate to break it to ya but EVERY high dollar luxury car is shit reliablity cause

1. you have to do INSANE expensive levels of maintainance to keep them running

2. rich people dont keep cars more than 3 years so they dont give a fuck

Now a poor poor mans luxury car is the toyota / Nissan up models but you won't look good in one of those unless you are 60+ living in Tampa.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Lease a Porsche Panamera.

You don't buy high end luxury cars you lease them.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Porsche Macan S

Porsche Cayman Base or S (the 718 Cayman (2017 to present) are 4 cyl. 2016 was the latest 6 cyl)

Get automatic. The PDK trans is awesome
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Lease a Porsche Panamera.

You don't buy high end luxury cars you lease them.

https://www.oraclefinance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/p16_0990_a4_rgb_0.jpg
View Quote
So Base Panamera leases out at $48k roughly for the first half of his time horizon. What's he do for the second half.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Genesis.
View Quote
This. I just picked up a new 2018 Genesis G-80 for under $50K and it is a shockingly good car. Go test drive one, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Mercedes C class  Sedan or Coupe look really good right now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This. I just picked up a new 2018 Genesis G-80 for under $50K and it is a shockingly good car. Go test drive one, you won't be disappointed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Genesis.
I'll second this, the car is much better than anyone expects.

Can't reco tho after the last 6 months go round with Hyundai. Dealer service is inept, the experience is sub standard and corp is clueless - basic understanding of customer care is absent. If they are going to operate in this sphere - they've got much to learn. But the trade off is price - it's not a trade I'm willing to make.

We'll see if it changes since they get stand alone dealers in place, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Genesis.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lexus LS.
View Quote
FPNI

Reliability, luxury, and a V8 engine.

The hoi polloi drive expensive Hyundais and Kias or the lesser, smaller high line cars like A4s, ES350s, and 3-series.  Lexus LS is tits.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I would buy a brand new loaded to the gills Camry and call it good.  Maybe an Avalon if I wanted a bit more room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

FPNI

The hoi polloi drive expensive Hyundais and Kias or the lesser, smaller high line cars like A4s, ES350s, and 3-series.  Lexus LS is tits.
View Quote
Truthfully? I never would have guessed that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Not a 911.  I love my 911.  My wife loves the 911.  Its great for the driver.  It sucks for the passenger.  All that road feel that makes it fun to drive also makes it somewhat harsh for the passenger.

For your budget - lightly used 2017 CLS 550.  Its between the E class benz and the S class.  Twin turbo, 4.7 liter V8 that puts out around 400 hp.

Its the competitor to the BMW 6 Series.  Nicer than the 5 series.

Great handling around town, and very quick.  Dream to roll down the highway at 85 or cruising in the country.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

How many powerful, influential, successful, and wealthy people drive an Equus?  Or a VW Phaeton?  Or a Genesis?  They don't, because they want a car that impresses people and a Kia isn't going to do that.  That's not to say a Stinger is a bad car - it's a cool choice for someone that wants performance and four doors but can't swing $60k+ for a 5-series Bimmer.

Cars like that are driven by people that want the fancy features but can't stomach the sticker price of a new S-class or LS.

You can get a 2-3 year old LS with under 30k miles for well under $50k.  Example
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Audi.  I currently own a Q5 and also had a Q7.  Buy a CPO and you're good to go.

Audi has the best interiors hands down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Audi.  I currently own a Q5 and also had a Q7.  Buy a CPO and you're good to go.

Audi has the best interiors hands down.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

They do a good job, best.....pretty subjective
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How many powerful, influential, successful, and wealthy people drive an Equus?  Or a VW Phaeton?  Or a Genesis?  They don't, because they want a car that impresses people and a Kia isn't going to do that.  That's not to say a Stinger is a bad car - it's a cool choice for someone that wants performance and four doors but can't swing $60k+ for a 5-series Bimmer.

Cars like that are driven by people that want the fancy features but can't stomach the sticker price of a new S-class or LS.

You can get a 2-3 year old LS with under 30k miles for well under $50k.  Example
View Quote
Sorry I reread what you wrote. I thought you said they don't drive Kias to which I was scratching my head
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'll second this, the car is much better than anyone expects.

Can't reco tho after the last 6 months go round with Hyundai. Dealer service is inept, the experience is sub standard and corp is clueless - basic understanding of customer care is absent. If they are going to operate in this sphere - they've got much to learn. But the trade off is price - it's not a trade I'm willing to make.

We'll see if it changes since they get stand alone dealers in place, but I doubt it.
View Quote
i think a big part of it is that Hyundai is vary aggressive, they wanted to figure out in the most assured way where they can sell them but the way they went about doing it ...

right now they NEED to make a mid size suv to be a true success in the states, but of course since it is a Korean brand, and Korea is STILL a place were the sedan is king, perhaps maybe a luxury suv is a totally foreign concept to them

the GV80 suv is coming though, but the fact that they did not develop that first before 3 dying markets is baffling, perhaps the demand in korea, china and the mid east was THAT strong for sedans that it was reason enough for sedans first
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
lol of course you post a pic of the interior of an S3.  OK OK, maybe not the A3/S3/RS3.  There are better options for OP than a 3 model.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top