Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do plants work?
View Quote
?
Plants don't create matter. They just turn water and CO2 into sugar and O2.
It requires energy, but doesn't create or destroy any matter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Ok a lot of people are saying it’s not moving so therefore there is no energy being used, whick ok I get that. But it still doesn’t seem to apply here because the magnet is using its magnetic field to pull itself and with a rare earth magnet it pulls itself with enough force you could get an inaccurate weight many times what it truely weighs.

How is that any different than me pushing down on the scale causing the same inaccurate reading.  When I push on that scale I use energy, so how is a magnet doing the same thing “not using energy”.
View Quote
When you push on the scale, you use energy because you created a force and caused a movement with the force (the bathroom scale actually compresses under your force, and this movement activates the mechanism that moves the dial.)

Once the magnet is stuck onto the fridge, there is no kinetic energy, only force holding it to the fridge.  The mass of the magnet will always be the same regardless of the force or energy acting upon it (until you get near the speed of light, then weird shit starts happening).  The weight of the magnet will depend on the force of gravity at your location.  Mass and weight are independent of what the magnetic force is doing.  I.e., it still weighs xx grams regardless of whether it is stuck to the fridge or sitting in your hand.  It's just that the magnetic force holding it up exceeds the force of the weight trying to pull it down, so it stays stuck to the fridge instead of falling to the floor.  On the other hand, if the the magnetic force holding it against the fridge is less than the weight of the magnet, then it falls to the floor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

?
View Quote
Read a fascinating article recently about a theory that photosynthesis and nerve cells are believed to work on a quantum level.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
E=MV^2 ........energy = mass times velocity squared. there is no energy if it ain't moving(velocity).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then how do magnets work? How can I put a magnet on my refrigerator and it not fall off? Wouldn’t it use magnetic energy to pull itself to the fridge to resist gravity? So how come it never falls off?
E=MV^2 ........energy = mass times velocity squared. there is no energy if it ain't moving(velocity).
I wonder if you can break it down to the velocity of the electrons moving and realigning as the magnet loses it's magnetism?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wonder if you can break it down to the velocity of the electrons moving and realigning as the magnet loses it's magnetism?
View Quote
It's the pols of the atoms being aligned that makes magnets attract.  "Magnets" have the ability to easily get all the pols lined up to pull together.  I think all matter has magnetism it just not easy or possible to get the pols aligned.

The loss of a Magnets strength would be from those pols getting misaligned.  Maybe through heat cycles or impact/vibrations.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Read a fascinating article recently about a theory that photosynthesis and never cells are believed to work on a quantum level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?
Read a fascinating article recently about a theory that photosynthesis and never cells are believed to work on a quantum level.
Get out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The universe is eternal. You are the vessel through which the universe discovers itself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then how do magnets work? How can I put a magnet on my refrigerator and it not fall off? Wouldn’t it use magnetic energy to pull itself to the fridge to resist gravity? So how come it never falls off?
View Quote
You are using the incorrect term. Magnetic force is holding that magnet there, not magnetic energy.

While the magnet is stuck there it has potential energy.

When you exert enough force to overcome the magnetic pull and let go of it, that potential energy will then be converted into kinetic energy.

It will fall to the ground and the kinetic energy will be converted to heat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
you could become a magnet but I don't know how you're gonna pull that off...
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Axiomatic
View Quote
Thanks for pointing out that typo.  Aparently its a brand name.  I really should use a keyboard when replying.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does gravity use up gravitational energy? When will the Earth run out of it?
View Quote
Gravity is solar powered. The sun recharges the earth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's the pols of the atoms being aligned that makes magnets attract.  "Magnets" have the ability to easily get all the pols lined up to pull together.  I think all matter has magnetism it just not easy or possible to get the pols aligned.

The loss of a Magnets strength would be from those pols getting misaligned.  Maybe through heat cycles or impact/vibrations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I understand that.  What I'm getting at is that there is movement in the atomic level.  So you do have some level of Velocity for E=1/2*m*v^2.  So at a very micro level you would have some form of kinetic energy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for pointing out that typo.  Aparently its a brand name.  I really should use a keyboard when replying.

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Axiomatic

Mike
Well, it fucked me up for a second. I was like "omg, what is this physics term I've never seen before!?".
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Where’s that meme of the ufo guy?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wrong. Energy cannot be destroyed or created (we think), and matter is merely a form of energy. Twist energy into enough knots and you get matter (strings). Smack matter hard enough and it returns to being energy.
View Quote
Some people smack their matter harder and more often than others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
View Quote
How does a Thermos bottle know whether to keep something hot or cold?  
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The universe is eternal. You are the vessel through which the universe discovers itself.
View Quote
And time is just nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Why don't we put magnets on the bottoms of airplanes and magnets on the air strips so they can just activate the magnets to take off instead of having to get up to speed?

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#20]
This is why E=MCHammer. Hammer the matter, we get E.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Matter op, matter cannot be created or destroyed.
View Quote
Matter is but an energy state; E=MC^2
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Energy is defined as force times displacement.  It the force doesn’t move what it is acting upon, then it isn’t energy.  It’s just a force.
View Quote
Sooooo....magnets work by......midichlorians?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
you're getting shitty gas gauss mileage bro
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have only had to refill my magnet twice
FIFY
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why don't we put magnets on the bottoms of airplanes and magnets on the air strips so they can just activate the magnets to take off instead of having to get up to speed?

View Quote
You mean like an aircraft carrier does?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, I didn't finish my thought above.  So if I spend x amount of energy placing the magnet sideways on the fridge at some point the magnet using energy actively resisting gravity will use more energy than what I used placing it there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beacause the energy you exerted to pull the magnet off the refrigerator is reciprocal to the energy it constantly exerts to stay in place. It's a weird balance of nature
How is it equal? The magnet is sideways actively resisting the pull of gravity. If I leave the magnet up for 2 mins it uses less energy than if I left it up there 2 years?
Sorry, I didn't finish my thought above.  So if I spend x amount of energy placing the magnet sideways on the fridge at some point the magnet using energy actively resisting gravity will use more energy than what I used placing it there.
gravity is equally pulling on the fridge also so...
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
The refrigerator and the magnet truly love each other.  True love lasts forever, so the magnet will stay stuck with the refrigerator forever.  Just like when people get married.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have only had to refill my magnet twice
FIFY
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on wether magnet was made by Aimpoint or Eotech.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Six min of your time:

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Apathy in the universe is increasing.
View Quote
My favorite so far!
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Magnet and X on a treadmill threads are always my favorites!
Always entertaining!

LOL

ZA
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Read a fascinating article recently about a theory that photosynthesis and nerve cells are believed to work on a quantum level.
View Quote
Literally all chemistry is quantum mechanics.  You are referring to the idea that electron transfer in some systems is not adequately explained by viewing the process as discrete steps, and that it must be the result of a wave function that is rather widely distributed in space.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Electron spin is quantized.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#39]
How is there not a magnetic force powered perpetual motion energy source yet?

We can make magnets, we can put them close enough to create push/pull, but we can’t harness/capture/use it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How is there not a magnetic force powered perpetual motion energy source yet?

We can make magnets, we can put them close enough to create push/pull, but we can't harness/capture/use it?
View Quote
Go read the first couple pages of any thermodynamics textbook.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
quantum information theory
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#42]
The answer is either 42 or this

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Go read the first couple pages of any thermodynamics textbook.
View Quote
Reading is for people who believe other people.

You can’t destroy an imagination that I can’t create
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Matter op, matter cannot be created or destroyed.
View Quote
E=mc^2.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Then how do magnets work? How can I put a magnet on my refrigerator and it not fall off? Wouldn't it use magnetic energy to pull itself to the fridge to resist gravity? So how come it never falls off?
View Quote
Do you even fundamental force, bro.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes and because there is no work there is no heat.  Therefore the magnet doesn't cook aand thus stays in it's raw state, stuck forever.  Why do you think they call it a "rare Earth magnet?"

Duh.
View Quote
Lol. Some of you fellas are smarter than you let on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Has nobody on arfcom been to a magnet school?
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Work = force x distance.  Neither the magnet nor the refrigerator are moving -> no work -> no energy is used.

You should read a Physics book someday.
View Quote
It's accelerating at 32 fps2.
Right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Literally all chemistry is quantum mechanics.  You are referring to the idea that electron transfer in some systems is not adequately explained by viewing the process as discrete steps, and that it must be the result of a wave function that is rather widely distributed in space.
View Quote
Your explanation collapsed into a lower state....
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#50]
The state of modern physics is really sad. 99% of physicists are only worried about where they are getting their next pay check. I don't agree with every thing he says, and I'm pretty sure he is "controlled opposition", but I think this guy is right more than he is wrong (or purposely miss-leading) Miles W. Mathis

There are some really big lies in modern physics, there are multiple reasons for this. The biggest one is money. (the second is atheism) e.g They are never going to find "Dark Matter" or "Dark Energy" because it does not exist, but they will continue to get trillions of dollars for the foreseeable future to "look for it". It's really sad. A never ending money pit.

IMHO Electromagnetism "field" and Plasma theory explain things much better. 99.9999% of all visible matter in the universe is plasma (which react to electromagnetic force) yet astrophysicists mostly only pay attention to mass when doing their calculations?!?!? And they leave out the mass of photons in their calculations, simply because they don't know how to properly apply the equations. Their math is wrong and or they don't understand how to use the equations (on accident or on purpose?) so they have to make up wild theories to explain it away, and constantly fudge their numbers with "made up constants, that keep changing". Pants on head retarded.

Another example is the "Cosmological Constant" that they keep having to change every time they get new data? That's called fudging your numbers because your math does not work. Let me give you a hint, when your "constant" if different by orders of magnitude depending on where you are observing, you are doing something wrong.

That whole Anthropomorphic Global warming thing that most people now know is hogwash? Now multiply that by 1,000,000 and you will have some idea of where modern "mainstream" physics is.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top