Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I go to Montana for 10 days every spring. But only fly fishing for me.
Mongolia is on my bucket list for the biggest trout ever
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the fishing lodges in Costa Rica.

http://www.zancudolodge.com/fishing.html

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Scottsboro, AL.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Best fishing I have had was sight fishing smallmouth in crystal clear remote Maine lakes/ponds after ice out.

Had to access most via atv with a kayak on the home made rack.  Best two fishing seasons of my life.

ETA, would love to fish Florida for giant largemouth bass with balloons and bluegills for bait.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I live in Texas and yes there are some toads here in Lake Fork and Falcon.
For large mouth I'd go to Florida though.
View Quote
I heard something about a lake in north Mexico somewhere that has the highest percentage of 10lb bass caught in the world. That might be cool
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a traveling fisherman, but with a dad in Air Force I got to fish/hunt in a lot of different states while growing up.

The one place we always talked about going back to for a fishing trip, but never did, was the Au Sable River in MI.

I never caught anything but red eyes/goggle eyes but I remember dad's tales of small mouth and northern pike.  I remember the wash tubs of fish that he and his buddy would catch.  That was back in the early 60's, so it may be completely different today, but I think about it every now and then.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Amazon for peacock bass

Alaska for salmon and halibut

Costa Rica for billfish

Bahamas for bonefish
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m going to try to convince him one of those floating houseboat charters for peacocks would be best while he’s still able bodied.  Apparently they drop you off in THE SHIT in nowhere Brazil
View Quote
A friend of mine did that like 20 years ago when we were kids. Said it was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Amazon for peacock bass

Alaska for salmon and halibut

Costa Rica for billfish

Bahamas for bonefish
View Quote
Peacock bass are massive in Panama. We fished Lake Gatun all the time.   $15 would get you a kid with a boat and a 25hp outboard all day. He'd also clean the fish.  

My choice would be Marathon in the Florida Keys.  We've been fishing there for years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Bolivia
Chasing Dorado - Bolivia '17

Or even better, Argentina
The RIO DORADO - Fly Fishing the Argentina BACKCOUNTRY- by Todd Moen

For golden Dorado

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Kodiac Alaska.  Nough said!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard something about a lake in north Mexico somewhere that has the highest percentage of 10lb bass caught in the world. That might be cool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Texas and yes there are some toads here in Lake Fork and Falcon.
For large mouth I'd go to Florida though.
That's Lake Comedero, someone early in the thread mentioned it. Some donkey's in there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Long range tuna trip out of San Diego.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of the best bass fishing I've done was at USMA West Point, NY.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Never name the river
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Tierra del Fuego
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#17]
http://bocapaila.com/

I've had 2 super grand slams there.

A buddy had 2 on back to back days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#18]
This is up on the YT/NWT border.  The lodge centered around fishing, and seemed to do it well, but we were just using their air services.  Don't know how the fishing is up there, but the fishermen seemed pretty happy with hit all.

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tierra del Fuego
View Quote
And that.  Don't even know if there are any fish there, but wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Grand isle, LA
View Quote
I motorcycled down to Grand Isle two years ago. Quite frankly, I thought the place was an absolute sh*thole. When I asked a local what the fascination with the place was, he replied " people from Louisiana are stupid and think this place is great". Mosquitoes could almost carry you away.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad retired and we have gone on fishing trips the past couple years so that he could get out of the house and away from my mom.

last year we went on a float plane to a fish camp in northern Ontario that was 100 miles from a road. The year before that we went to the Faroe Islands and bird hunted and fished in the North Atlantic.

He wants me to start planning the trip and I’m thinking Belize for bonefish or the Amazon for peacock bass.  Maybe alaska?  You traveling fishermen enlighten me.
View Quote
Someplace warm with good weather. I like to enjoy my fishing rather than rolling up and down on a shitty boat in a rainstorm to catch fuck ugly rock cod or shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of smelly rednecks on the kenai to catch salmon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not a traveling fisherman, but with a dad in Air Force I got to fish/hunt in a lot of different states while growing up.

The one place we always talked about going back to for a fishing trip, but never did, was the Au Sable River in MI.

I never caught anything but red eyes/goggle eyes but I remember dad's tales of small mouth and northern pike.  I remember the wash tubs of fish that he and his buddy would catch.  That was back in the early 60's, so it may be completely different today, but I think about it every now and then.
View Quote
It's still like that.  Lots of Steelhead to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Damon's Point, Marshfield MA after dark with a hand line, a sinker, no hook and either a pint of cognac or a six pack on ice, depending on the time of year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is awesome protus

Have done lots of the saltwater fishing around here, been to Hawaii for blue marlin..........................my choice would be to hit Patagonia with fly rods for something different, been on my bucket list for many many years
View Quote
Totally different ball game from down here for sure. Outfished my brother whose local, so it made the trip better
I plan on smoking him again lol

Patagonia would be cool...but New Zealand for trout on fly would be a bucket list as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Cape Cod and the Islands in September,do it every year.  False albacore on flies at daybreak,the most frustrating but rewarding 12 pound fish you can catch.
Chase bonito and bluefish all day.
Take a nap,go for big striped bass at sunset.

New England might suck for politics but crisp mornings are beautiful and fishing outstanding. For 2 weeks I'll just fish 12-14 hours a day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#26]
The Canadians I work with insist that if you're gonna do a dedicated fishing trip, that there is no place better than the Great Bear Lake. It's the largest lake completely contained inside Canada, part of it is above the Arctic Circle. It's only fishable a few weeks a year due to ice. It's on my list, like to hit it with my high school buddies when we all turn 50 in a few years.

Fished the Lamar River in Yellowstone last September. Incredible scenery.

Taking my boy to Katchikan, AK when he graduates high school in a couple years. It's one of my life goals to catch Alaska salmon and then smoke it in my back yard. Might have to do a dinner pic for that one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Long range fishing out of San Diego, 8-19 days.

100+ foot boat, full galley, fresh cooked food, state rooms, hot shower, sat TV, internet.

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]
This place hunting sailfish.  Less work than marlin.  https://www.casaviejalodge.com/

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Cortes Bank off the coast of California, headed there in July.

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#30]
King salmon...in Chile.

Chinook Salmon king fishing in chile Season 2015
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Fly fishing in Christmas Island for bonefish and giant trevally.

If you ever have the chance, visit the island of Aitutaki in the Cook Islands.  It’s known as the most beautiful lagoon in the world.  I was there for a week last year but am going back for two weeks this fall.  Every picture is a postcard!  We fly fish for big bonefish and GT’s down there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Right where I'm at...I fly fish blue ribbon water every day.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#33]
In the lower 48  fly fishing for trout, Little big horn in MT, lots of action

Tuna, I love the live aboard boats out of San Diego.

For a more expensive trip(for me) and lots of action, King Salmon on the Kenai or Kasilof.  Hooking up with a fish 10 feet away from you, you watch your line swim up stream, them the Salmon will start to porpoise a few times, then they get pissed and run down river, GOOD times.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Azores
View Quote
This or Ascension Island.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Southern FL is good fishin
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My dad retired and we have gone on fishing trips the past couple years so that he could get out of the house and away from my mom.

last year we went on a float plane to a fish camp in northern Ontario that was 100 miles from a road. The year before that we went to the Faroe Islands and bird hunted and fished in the North Atlantic.

He wants me to start planning the trip and I'm thinking Belize for bonefish or the Amazon for peacock bass.  Maybe alaska?  You traveling fishermen enlighten me.
View Quote
I live in AK and it is a solid choice if you have plenty of time to catch a salmon run, salt water is solid. I would like to try the Lump off the Mississippi or the Atlantic canyons for big tunas.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably a FAD/Seamount trip out of Costa Rica for marlin.

Second choice would be somewhere hunting really big blue Marlin, like Cape Verde or the Azores.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fly fishing in Christmas Island for bonefish and giant trevally.

If you ever have the chance, visit the island of Aitutaki in the Cook Islands.  It’s known as the most beautiful lagoon in the world.  I was there for a week last year but am going back for two weeks this fall.  Every picture is a postcard!  We fly fish for big bonefish and GT’s down there.
View Quote
^ This!!
I fished for 3 days on Maui for a GT and got no eaters. Didn't mess w/ Bones since I can catch them in The Keys.

Check out plugging for GIANT Cubera Snapper around the islands off Columbia. Monster fish and closer than Pacific GT
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Figure out the species and I can help.
I would get out of the US.

Costa Rica would be my top choice for just an overall nice experience.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
These are based on doing it with a fly rod:

Freshwater? - Bristol Bay Area of Alaska in August.  Base out of Dillingham and fish the Wood-TikChik park area.

Saltwater? - Belize in May for permit/bonefish.  Belize is more of a volume destination than a trophy destination but when it comes to permit, get a few under your belt before trying for records.  Belize is probably the easiest place on the planet to catch a permit.  And they are still finicky.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#41]
fresh water = anywhere big lake trout are plentiful

Salt water =  Bahamas, Caribbean for dolphin/grouper/lobster.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Scottsboro, AL.
View Quote
That’d be one of them, Lake Guntersville and a tray full of frogs.

I’d like to go to Lake Okeechobee down in Florida.

If you want largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, and striped bass in one day, I’d go to Pickwick or Wheeler on the Tennessee River.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd stay right where I'm at. Alaska.
View Quote
yep, went to sitka once on a charter with my dad completely spoiled me for salmon fishing it was incredible.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top