Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a physician.   Not all that special,  the trick is recruiting and then background check and credentials. Can take up to a year from initial application, especially if they have to get a medical license for the state.

But... there are companies that hire out temps.  So the scheduler could get one tomorrow if in a pinch... they just might have to pay double the usually hourly rate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, but they're going to have a hell of a time replacing me.

It's going to be painful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

This, but they're going to have a hell of a time replacing me.

It's going to be painful.

My last employer recruited me back because they were looking for that knowledge/experience.  After working there for several years again I remembered A) why I had quit to begin with and B) that I didn't want involved in possible criminal activity.  In my absence I've had them use intermediaries to get back in touch with me to give answers on things.  It's actually kind of sad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
As far as my current job, they wouldn't have much of a problem, as my partner knows the same stuff I do, and I wrote a pretty thorough SOP for the unit, so a new person could be trained up to basic standard in a month or so, provided they had some investigative experience to start with.  The issue they will be facing in about 4 months is that they have been using my expertise from a prior assignment for about 6 years now to aid another unit, and have never bothered to have me train anyone for it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I quit tomorrow, my business would disappear.    
View Quote

same here, when I go, it all goes
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to another office for 6 months last year, and came back to lead a larger program.

They still haven't found someone to lead my old program so it's spiraling out of control.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s a point of pride for me that people who work on my team do very well either when I promote them or in their next jobs.  I don’t think it’s because they learn so much about what not to do, but that could be part of it haha.  Anyway, as a people manager the only way I could be irreplaceable is if I refused to develop my team.  I’ve seen that happen and it makes the “irreplaceable” person look like garbage.  And of course they’re replaceable anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I mean, EVERYONE is replaceable.   Sure anyone can do my job.  But finding someone to apply for the job.   With similar work ethic.   That's another thing.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been trying to find someone to take my place for the past 6-7 years. There's still another guy here, that is close to retirement, as well.

I am currently training a guy that is doing well, though. I have hope.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Difficult because i'm in the middle of a big deal but there's plenty of people that they can find with my skillset that could be up and running within a month or two.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I pulled the plug ten months early in April and other than going back one day for another person's retirement I don't miss the place and I m sure that the top two don't miss me.
I'm sure that they were quite happy to replace me with a young naive rookie
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't want bothered on vacation so my direct reports are trained to fill in for me seamlessly so that I'm not bothered on vacation. I spend a few hours the week before making sure they're ready to go.

So I guess they could replace me easily since I keep those guys ready.

I'm serving a selfish need, yes, but also keeping them ready for the next step for if/when I take a step.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I retired, the company is still operating, however the two folks that replaced me don’t know how to work the system and they are terribly behind.
When I left, there were two items which needed investigating and approval, they are now up to 70.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Everyone at my job could be replaced.

The problem is the replacement would likely be worthless and wouldn't stick around for what their paying.

It took them 5 months and over 20 interviews to finally find someone willing to work for the bullshit pay to they had listed and the kid is fucking weird and has already been late twice in his first week. Oh and he has zero experience.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I left six months ago, my replacement doesn't start until 1 October.  They will be fine, I know him well and he is a solid dude.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would your boss have a fit trying to replace you?

Everyone is replaceable.

^This

I have a lot of tribal and legacy knowledge of our IT environment that will be tough to replace and will suck for the guys that get stuck with my shit, but it can be done and life will go on without me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone who is mechanically inclined can do my job, but they will have trouble finding people who want to work 2nd shift. Besides, my employer does NOTHING in a timely manner. Took them 3 months to move me into my current position from my old position. They called and said "you got the job", didnt move me in until 3 months later. The old dude I replaced and I basically switched buildings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I designed and maintained an information system for the last company I worked for. Approaching retirement, I trained my replacement...who quit shortly after I left.

I retired 9 months ago and a former co-worked recently told me that the system is unusable since the company has made no effort to maintain it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lots of denial in this thread…

Everyone is replaceable.
View Quote

Everyone is replaceable, it's how long it takes to replace someone and the chaos that ensues that generates the hyperbole of "irreplaceable".

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I am not irreplaceable, however, it would be near impossible to repalce me with one person.  I have been pushing the owners for years to develope a plan in case I get hurt.  They admit I should have someone to train, but 7 years later, still no one.  

The service manager has already had 2 heart attacks, and is due for a 3rd.  The last one will put him down.  Maybe permanently.  They dont have anyone set up to replace him.  So when it happens, it will be me.  Regardless of how much I have told them I have no desire to do the job.  Plus there is no way, I can do my job and his.  

It took years, to promote a guy to technician.  And it only came about because I brought in a kid to do the lower level job.  And still got push back on promoting the other guy.  Frankly the guy was far from the best choice.  He was literally my only choice.  I need a technician already trained up when the service manager dies or retires, and there were no other options.

I do love my job, but as a pretty small company, they take forever to hire people.  I do understand, they have been burned badly several times.  But some days it drives me crazy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Difficult , but doable.

My team is prepared enough and trained thoroughly enough that they could get by , maybe 60 days , while they look to replace me. After about 60 days of no leadership in operations things might start breaking down a bit and certainly things would be missed that would be costly to the company.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

This

I have knowledge,  but are far from irreplaceable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a cog in the machine.

Machine would not notice a replacement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I AM the boss.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I would gladly take my pension and walk out, sign up for SS and make the same wage.

they would be short handed until the next hiring cycle (yearly)

I’ll be doing the same to them next year with minimal notice

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Well I did quit like 4 months ago. They couldn’t find anyone to replace me. Ended up coming back.

Hard to meet quals coupled with a remote/extreme environment makes it a tough seat to fill.

Was vacant for over a year when I originally took it.

So much so I have a new boss. And if things don’t work out with them I’m fairly confident if I tell the next higher boss either they are gone or I’m gone. I think I know who will be gone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I resigned last month. I expect it will take a while to replace me. It took them several months to find me, and pay hasn't kept up with inflation in the intervening years. Unless they significantly bump comp, it may take even longer this time, in the current job market. Although I did transition many of my core duties to colleagues at corp HQ overseas, so perhaps they'll move most of those job duties to HQ permanently. That would make it easier to fill the less strategic functions with a junior resource locally.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would gladly take my pension and walk out, sign up for SS and make the same wage.

they would be short handed until the next hiring cycle (yearly)

I’ll be doing the same to them next year with minimal notice

View Quote

Why do they limit themselves to a narrow yearly hiring window?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#29]
my skillset is nothing special but replacing my relationships with clients would take sometime but can be done
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Everyone is replaceable, it's just that the replacements don't have the inside knowledge.
Eventually they might.
My boss told me that I couldn't retire before her, that we have to go at the same time like jumping out of a burning plane.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Difficult.  They’d been looking for months with no luck when they hired me.  They didn’t have problems with pay, but with finding someone they thought would be a good fit given half the staff are nurses but they needed IT type skills and statistics experience.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
One clown don't stop no circus...

Honk honk!

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

Yes, everyone is replaceable - but my peers would have a Daniel Boone moment (for a while).

"I have never been lost but I was bewildered once for three days."
 Daniel Boone

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Replace me? No
Have a warm body on schedule? No problem.
Someone who actually recognizes critical findings? Unlikely these days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm a physician.   Not all that special,  the trick is recruiting and then background check and credentials. Can take up to a year from initial application, especially if they have to get a medical license for the state.

But... there are companies that hire out temps.  So the scheduler could get one tomorrow if in a pinch... they just might have to pay double the usually hourly rate.
View Quote

Plenty of dumbass and questionable physicians working locums jobs these days, for sure.
Especially in the ED
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#36]
It would be very hard for my company to replace me.  Though not impossible.

The reason I say this is, I run a small wireless ISP in a very rural area. My skills are kinda unique to the business.
Someone would need to know RF, Networking (IP addressing, basic networking, Routing, switching, security, provisioning, Fiber, CatX, etc).
How to fab up mounts and other crap for towers that is not readily available.
How to run or deal with electric circuits from a meter to a box with breaker and outlets to power equipment.
How to be professional, qualify and book installs, do billing, tech support, customer management, project management, inventory, procurement, dealing with govt entities and tower owner contracts....

Its not a walk in and start swinging a tool job.

Several years ago, we wanted to hire a few more folks and took resumes for over a year, actually 2 or 3.
In that time, we got maybe a half dozen, maybe a few more.

Of those, only one was a decent candidate. He was hired and does an excellent job to this day.
We hired a few anyway out of desperation and had to let several go.
I was hired on here after 20 years in the industry (computers, networking, ISP, telephony, Catv) and after 6 months the owner called me and said my boss was exiting the company, I take over for him and run the show, reporting to the owner.

Its been a bumpy ride, but between my tech and myself, we do a good job of running this place.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]
If a chimpanzee could effectively communicate they can do my job. You just need to find safety clothes that fit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I quit tomorrow, my business would disappear.    
View Quote

I'm self employed and it's a small shop.  If I walk away, the business no longer exists.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]
We can't fill our open IT positions despite months of trying.

Relocation is a deal breaker for most (as yes, being onsite is a requirement, yada yada yada)
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a fucked up contract. If I quit tomorrow I'd get sued for my wages until replaced. I get one shot a year to get out at contract time
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#42]
It would take a true savant or otherwise, 3 people to replace me.  

It has happened before, and that is what it took. I even warned them it was coming.

This time, there will be no warning and it could be any day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

When somebody dies, it barely creates a ripple. Life continues on the very next moment like nothing happened. Yeah, people might feel bad and there might be a funeral. Nobody is really that special.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m in a fairly specialized field, industrial maintenance, and further specialized that I do  mostly electrical controls.  Last time I said fuck it and quit a job on a Tuesday I had a new one for more pay on Thursday, starting the following Monday.  So I’d say when I quit I fuck people pretty good
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm self employed and it's a small shop.  If I walk away, the business no longer exists.
View Quote

The same day another company would start up and replace yours. It's been happening since the beginning of time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I said difficult, but it wouldn't be the work ethic that they would have a problem replacing. There are 4 tech managers that were getting bogged down with massive BS paperwork and we were getting a lot of red marks on audits because of it. So I was taken out of a position that I worked to get for 30 years and was made the "Manager of Special Operations" . I'm so proud. I do BS paperwork and filing all day. If I walked out the door suddenly, all those managers would have to start doing their own bs paperwork. There would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I said difficult, but it wouldn't be the work ethic that they would have a problem replacing. There are 4 tech managers that were getting bogged down with massive BS paperwork and we were getting a lot of red marks on audits because of it. So I was taken out of a position that I worked to get for 30 years and was made the "Manager of Special Operations" . I'm so proud. I do BS paperwork and filing all day. If I walked out the door suddenly, all those managers would have to start doing their own bs paperwork. There would be great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
View Quote
BS paperwork and red tape are the reason my employer is hemorrhaging workers, all the way up and down the food chain. Only the government could fuck up procurement and services this bad, and I used to do the same thing for a spell, in the .gov.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I know I’m replaceable. Not likely though as they just laid off the only two other operations data analysts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#49]
They would probably be happy not having to pay out $900K in deferred comp.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I could be replaced but not all that easily. There would be some pretty significant setbacks for my company. On the flip side my specialty in my field would mean finding a work from home alternative or relocating, most likely the latter due to security requirements.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top