Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep begging my bosses to hire or assign people to shadow me in case I get hit by a bus.  After two years they've found someone to start in a few weeks.

We have breadth of talent but not depth; no backups.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm self-employed so I'm the only one who actually KNOWS what's going on in my world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely able to be replaced. Turnover rate is more than 90%, so it would take quite a while. Most bail within the first few months, and it usually takes someone longer than that to get good at it. It's easier for the boss to just keep the people that are good at it happy so we don't leave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
They hired someone with a similar background and skillset about 5 years ago.  He's copied on all my emails.  Basically, they brought in my replacement and they're just waiting for me to underperform.  When I worked for a Japanese company in the 90's they did that, too.  A "shadow employee".  

But I'm still here so I guess I'm worth my shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a lot of experience in a niche industry but at the end of the day 99% of us are replaceable
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Im the owner, if i quit everybody gets fired.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My job went away with me
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 1 of about 150 people who do the exact same job where I work. Replaceable? Hell, they wouldn't even notice if I wasn't there. They're constantly hiring new people as they are constantly losing others.

I started at the end of February. There were almost 20 people in my orientation class. I'm the only one left out of that group. I've seen people come in with new groups and only stay for a week or a day or 2. The turnover rate is astounding to me.
View Quote
I think I remember you saying where you worked in another thread, and it's the same way locally. I think I'm one of your vendors. I don't even bother learning names unless they're managers anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
at my old job there were a couple of things I could do that nobody else could. my boss watched me move a $10 million dollar package one day and asked What am I gonna do when you retire?   I told him he should be figuring that out soon. He didn't.  After 36 years on the job I retired without training my replacement. Three months later they were calling me offering a job.  nope.

at my current part time job, I am easily replaceable.  I am also gloriously unambitious
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks to a health issue several years ago I know that I am replaceable, but man were they happy when I made it back
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would your boss have a fit trying to replace you?
View Quote

I doubt they would even bother.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a lot of experience in a niche industry but at the end of the day 99% of us are replaceable
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
With the recent batch of employees my employer has hired they would never find someone as dedicated as me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

This, but they're going to have a hell of a time replacing me.

It's going to be painful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#16]
When the writing was on the wall, rather than wait for a requested resignation, I volunteered to accept a buyout and gave them my number. I also included a consultant contract whereby they would pay me if they needed to recall me to train others. They met my number, agreed to compensate me for an NDA and signed off on the consultant contract.

I was the only person who completed the bank reports for 7 years. Although I have trained several assistants pieces of the report, no one person knows the report in total and all the sources of data like me. I am also the contact person with the access to the bank codes where we transmit and receive the latest data.

I have written task instructions in a file but that went into the boxes of files with a number of other classified reports.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Replace me? Sure, but they’d be hard pressed to find someone who will do it quite as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I could shut down a significant portion of the economy overnight.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#19]
No bullshit, If I quit, very few would notice. The phone would ring, I would say "nope, I am done" and next to no one would give a shit. There are millions of people waiting to step into my situation, and probably a few hundred thousand actively trying....probably a lot that would be better.

It boggles my mind that I am "making it" and how well it treats me.

Meh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I've resigned twice. In both cases, bossman hated me leaving.

Hell, last one I resigned from, 5 years later I get asked to come back.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
They’d likely have to split my department. I run two and neither side in interested in learning the other.

So they’d be challenged to directly replace me, but they could fairly easily replace me with two people.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
there are people who can do what i do and more.

that said, at my annual assessment on friday, my boss asked me if i would have any interest in taking his job when he retires in 2 years.  he then laid out a very specific set of recommendations for training and networking, so i figure that's a positive sign.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
We're shorthanded already. The only way to replace me is to move a guy from days. That guy will quit if they move him, making them even more shorthanded. It takes at least a year to get a guy up to speed on this equipment assuming they're already qualified to work on it. We have no new people coming in, and retirements looming. My leaving (and I'm planning on it soon) is going to be a big problem.

It's not that I'm irreplaceable, it's that management has completely ignored the looming cliff they're about to drive off of.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Lots of denial in this thread…

Everyone is replaceable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Never a horse couldn't be rode;   never a rider couldn't be throwed.

A lot of folks are legends in their own  minds.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, for a bit anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#27]
If you have done a decent job at training and mentoring the people below you.   Then you will be replaced the day you leave.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Cemeteries are filled with people you can not do without.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Assets, expendable assets
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
They wouldn’t be happy, and my replacement would have to bring work ethic, commitment, and care for employees, but they’d forget about me in 6 months. I’m a unique employee, but definitely replaceable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm retired now, but I'll have to say that while I could easily be replaced in my last job before retiring, any replacement would be hard pressed to do my job nearly as well as what I did.
With 30+ years in the particular field I was in (automotive supply chain quality), I had a wealth of experience to draw upon.  
From Quality Supervisor, to Manager, to Director, then a deliberate step down to Quality Engineer for my last few years before retirement.
I knew the automotive Quality requirements inside out as well aas how to deal with the various customer's specific requirements... Ford, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, Chrysler, GM.  
In my last job as a QE, I actually trained my manager on how to do the Manager's job.  Pretty uncommon if you ask me.

I really enjoyed how easy those last few years were for me, and they paid me top dollar to do it as well!  I maxed out my pay grade every year after the first.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Definitely replaceable but i don't think they'd be too thrilled if one of their foreman walked out with no notice.
Whoever replaces me internally would have to be replaced with someone who can pass a background, no drugs, pass a battery of testing including work in radiologically controlled areas, and know how to do construction.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Small company and I've been there a long time, they would not be happy I'm sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#35]
You leave in a fit cause you think you do everything-
Slacking fucker co-workers shrug shoulders, say, "whelp, vacation's over, guess we gotta work now".
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I voted Easily, but being able to pass the background and the drug test AND the polygraph is typically not something 90% of candidates are capable of doing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Not impossible.  Expensive.  I do too many different jobs.  Each would take a seperate person and pay.  The net-net would be too high cost for the amount of work coming in...
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Self employed, pretty hard to replace within the organization.
View Quote

Trust me.  I get this.

I still get people asking me if I can return to my old business and sell them certain products.

I closed operations at the end of 2020 for a number of reasons, and truthfully I'm glad I did.  The company achieved 1 out of 2 objectives I had set for it, which is why I can now pick what I'm doing instead of being under the weight of "pay us" month after month after month after month....
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm self-employed so I'm the only one who actually KNOWS what's going on in my world.
View Quote

Same here, if I were to quit it would be a bad thing for my shift.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m in senior leadership and lead an engineering group in a very specialized technology that I happen to have a couple decades of experience in.

I could be replaced tomorrow by another human, and honestly be replaced by 8am today with AI if the integration was done right.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They could replace me quick, but our retention rate for the first week is about 30% since I've been there.
View Quote

We're not much different.

We've hired 4 people in 3 months and only 1 of them still shows up.

1 guy almost made it a year.  He quit in July.
Another guy received a layoff at the same time.

Heck I had a finger sliced open 3 weeks into the job and still haven't called in for any BS reasons.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

this.

two things give me that cringe feeling. people that say they are irreplaceable at work and people that say they will never get a divorce.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I worked in a hospital for 30+ years and if I learned anything it was this, the day after you leave it's like you were never there.

Doctor, nurse or administrator.

It rolls on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote

This.  The older I get and longer I’m in the workforce I’ve seen many people come and go.  Many thought they were irreplaceable yet the company continued to move on without missing a beat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#45]
They could replace me but it would take months to years to get somewhere near my skills, quals, and certifications.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#46]
While everyone is replaceable, in 2 days I will have 30 years in the industry, Sept 7 1993. To take someone off the street to replace me would take, 6 months before they are competent. And many years before they could do it like I can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#47]
MRI technologist and radiology physics instructor at a in the hospital radiology tech school.
Hard to replace MRI techs right now.  Too many job s and not enough experienced technologists.
Big problem was replacing me as the physics instructor.
I taught for 20 years and my students always passed their boards.
When I retired two years ago, they now have a 30% failure rate.
No one has the skills to teach the physics portion of the school.
Oh well, not my problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#48]
The thing that made me valuable, was that I was good at not making mistakes, in an industry that lots of people regularly make mistakes and when they happen they are highly disruptive and expensive. Also, the industry doesn't have enough qualified designers to for work load, so replacing anyone is difficult.

When I put in my 2 weeks notice last year, I have to admit I didn't give a damn how much trouble they had replacing me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Not irreplaceable by any means, but my experience and skill set are somewhat specialized, and the company would have a hard time finding another "me"...they would have to find multiple info sources instead of just me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I keep begging my bosses to hire or assign people to shadow me in case I get hit by a bus.  After two years they've found someone to start in a few weeks.

We have breadth of talent but not depth; no backups.
View Quote

That’s something I keep saying too. There are aspects of my job only I know (outside of the ideas) but can train someone up on. I’ve tried on dozens of occasions to train someone else up on the marketing system and it’s gone nowhere. Just, let macman do it.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top