Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And giving advice you should show some type of licensing identification.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If you state you have a ccw you should have proof. @SiteStaff Can we get a concealed carry badge icon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Not required to be licensed to possess knowledge in how to effectively start and finish a job, just because you think there is only one way to do something doesn't mean you are correct.  I have met contractors that don't know shit from roof tar and unlicensed people who are the opposite.

I watched a plumber pull a toilet to replace the guts, it was accessible from the top and the wax ring was just fine. Then I watched my friend pay the guy $200 for it.  I said shit man you should have mentioned you needed those replaced I would have done it for you, he said the same the OP is complaining about and I said I don't need a piece of paper to tell you I know how to install something that usually comes with its own instructions.  I just told him don't buy the parts from a wholesaler those don't come with instructions they assume you already know how to fix things.

This is the internet, a lot of people here have knowledge and don't need a piece of paper to prove it, its proven when their way or others ways get to the same end result.    

I will use this example. When I started in CNC lathe we had run out of boring bars and needed to run a batch of parts. We had blank carbide rods, HSS blanks drills and end mills, the Mills guys said it wouldn't work in a lathe.  Well the end mill served 2 purposes, we used it to bore the hole in the stock and then in an separate tool offset used it as a boring bar for finishing. Stout as all get out.

Did some one tell you how to unclog a drain by using oxy/acetyline and a match? If you followed advice so erroneous as that you have other problems.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?  They may be a contractor, but they're not your contractor and you're not paying them any money.  I'm sure you can get all of that if you hire them and pay them whatever they consider a reasonable wage.  Until then it's free advice so use it at your own risk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a contractor. The jury's still out on whether or not I'm a qualified one...

My license # is GFY-87.

Eta: I do have a license but I'll be damned if I'm going to post it on Arfcom. What kind of ridiculous suggestion is that, anyway?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol.  People actually believe what other people tell them on arfcom?

Hahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#7]
So it's not really menopause?

No wonder the doc laughed at me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a contractor...see. no license needed
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh and this

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe we need a contractor icon and send our license to a mod 
View Quote
Icon would be tough, hard to represent dry ass fucking in an icon. Maybe KY with a red circle and slash?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Offer

Acceptance

Consideration
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
We don't need no stinking badges!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah, nobody's ever given unsolicited advice on these pages

Are you going to take the time to verify their license and give them an icon, or do we just leave them open to arocking?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah, nobody's ever given unsolicited advice on these pages

Are you going to take the time to verify their license and give them an icon, or do we just leave them open to arocking?

cause nobody ever tried to shit on a innocent contractor in real life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought you knew I was kidding when I said to lick the wire to see if it was hot. I hope it didn't hurt too much. 

ETA - you may also want to disregard the advice I gave you on how to unjam a nail gun. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Can I just post a pic of my ccw sash?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a contractor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#19]
What if I'm licensed in Florida but I'm giving advice to someone in California?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Advice is free.

I take the time to lend a hand.

Be thankful, or don't.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not licensed...but I am insured
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only advice a Californian needs is how to move.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Is this because of the generator thread?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:43:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll take a look!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would you waste your time?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Contactor? Who am I contacting?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And giving advice you should show some type of licensing proof.
Contactor? Who am I contacting?
well since OP does electrical stuff, maybe he means electrical contactor?  used in controllers for motors and such.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Contractor means a lot of different things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm a contractor. I don't give any real advice here anymore.
Been shouted down by guys that "worked for their grandpa on the farm and I don't know what I'm talking about" Lol.
Now I just enjoy the retardation that people give them.
Fuck it. Want some advice? Pay me.
View Quote
Yeah. Happens occasionally to me, too.

The best example had nothing to do with work, however. Ten years ago I was posting in real time during our daughter's home birth. After multiple people crapped in the thread, claiming I was making it all up, I threw in the towel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep, means dick in pa.  Even in md, its a few hoops, then an open book test.  Test has nothing to do with trades either.  Any monkey can pass it.
View Quote
MD also requires a criminal history check, credit check, certified assets or bond, and an insurance policy. The associated fees are fairly steep too. Iirc $450 for my last 3 year renewal.
I know lots of people that cannot pass those hurdles. I call them subcontractors.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you state you have a ccw you should have proof. @SiteStaff Can we get a concealed carry badge icon?
View Quote
It would have to be hidden of course. concealed means concealed
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#31]
OP likes regulation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm a contractor.
View Quote
BURN THE WITCH
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

how about don't ask for advise on an internet forum.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#35]
If you use 2" drywall screws to hang cabinets, you're probably going to have a problem.  Use 2.5" to 3" for such applications.  And preferably square or torx drive screws.

And for the love of all things holy and right, make sure those screws go into studs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Where do I send the invoice for rendering my professional services?

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I am a contractor.

Armed type.

Why should I post shit on arfcom?

Also, first time I've stated it here. I think.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#38]
No where on there does it say you are licensed to give ideas/suggestions.

Also we need to see your info on it and a form of id. Then we have to match it up with state records to make sure you didn't just print it out.

Also a thumb print and seaman sample.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Contractor here, Ill offer advice to you on any and all subjects!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? You're not going to listen to advice, then do it your way. That's how a lot of 'em make a living...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a license to sell hair tonic to bald eagles. In Omaha, Nebraska. Does that count, OP???

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Wait you're a fucking air conditioner repairman ??

Don't get me wrong there is NOTHING wrong with a career in  HVAC but you give out mother fucking INVESTING advice like you're the god damn wolf of wall street. Wheres your financial planning certification? CPA? Hell even a bachelors in finance would suffice. Oh you're not licensed in finance then don't give finance advice.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yep, means dick in pa.  Even in md, its a few hoops, then an open book test.  Test has nothing to do with trades either.  Any monkey can pass it.
View Quote
Hardest place to test is Louisiana.  Closed book test, the only thing you're allowed to bring in with you is your ID.  Cameras up recording the testing session, two walls lined with one-way mirrors that may or may not have people behind them watching you.  Almost makes you think they don't trust you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hardest place to test is Louisiana.  Closed book test, the only thing you're allowed to bring in with you is your ID.  Cameras up recording the testing session, two walls lined with one-way mirrors that may or may not have people behind them watching you.  Almost makes you think they don't trust you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Louisiana???   You're not paying the right people...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You want me to post a license on the internet that has not only my name but a unique number that can be looked up on a state website that has both my address and my phone number?

You are out of your fucking mind.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, we clearly need more rules to protect the bums who come here to get professional advice for free.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fair enough.

Now post your credentials for inventing random, retarded, unenforceable rules.  

My pilot brothers and I, caught a Fake F-15 pilot one time.  .   It was glorious.     That's the kind of joy you would be cheating people out of.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You should take any advice on here for what you paid for it.
View Quote
fucking first post.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top