Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Pope is unscriptural. Nobody is between the individual and Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Being "saved" by faith alone versus by faith PLUS good works.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm an atheist, but Catholics are Christians. For 3/4 the time Christianity has existed, they've been the only Christians. That's like saying that people in England don't speak English.
View Quote
Not so. There have been other Christian churches besides the Catholic Church from the very beginning.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Catholic here. I don't even bother when someone asks a question like this. Catholics worship Mary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll play.

Catholics have a religion-Christians have a relationship.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One side believes in saints that are actually just renamed pagan gods that were created to help unite Rome back in the day. Other side doesn't believe in pagan gods.
View Quote
Wait... so which one is it that doesn't do Christmas or Easter?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Followers of Christ and his Laws, or followers of mostly man made tradition?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The chief difference is: surprise.  Surprise and fear.  Surprise and fear are the chief differences.  Fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency.  The THREE chief differences are:  fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope...  AMONG the chief differences are...
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
How about those crazy Pentacostals....
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#10]
the pope.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/PDBjsFAyiwA[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I always viewed it as sacrilege to pray to Mary. God said only he is to be worshipped, so that should even preclude Mary.
View Quote
Yes....exactly how does Mary hear all these Catholics asking her to pray for them?  Is she all seeing, all knowing?  How does she have this power?

There is even a catholic church in Orlando called "Mary, Queen of the Universe"
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Bible vs tradition.
View Quote
Catholics believe in the Bible too.

It should be Bible vs Bible plus tradition.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll go with transubstantiation and the belief that Mary maintained her virgin innocence her whole life.
View Quote
What about Jesus' brothers?   James, Joseph, Simon and Judas ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Catholics worship God, Protestants worship the Bible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want GDs version on this. Thanks.
View Quote
Well, if want to be historically accurate...

Catholics are the original Christians until the reformation. Brit king wanted to kill his wives, massacre priests/nuns, destroy churches, and start a new religion called Protestantism and make his own Bible - King James version.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want to understand the fundamental differences between catholic christians and Protestant christians, you need to look at Martin Luther's Objections he nailed to the church house door.

I think there are Genuine catholics and Protestants who love Jesus and have a real relationship with him, and probably a fair number of each who do not.

From my point of view, Catholics have developed many traditions that contradict the Bible.

Using mary as a form of priest, asking her to intercede, for instance.  1 timothy 2:5  for there is one GOD and one mediator between GOD and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Mary came to see Jesus with his brothers when he was preaching in a nearby town.  One of the disciples learned she was outside desiring to see him.

Matthew 12

46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. 47 Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”

48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”

Jesus never prayed to anyone but GOD.  When men tried to worship peter or paul, those men stopped them from doing so.  When  John bowed before an angel in revelation, the angel also did not permit it.  Why people would pray and ask mary for favors when we have the high priest himself ready to hear our petition makes no sense to me.

I also reject the claim that the original church was catholic, it was jewish, as stated above.  No where in the bible is the church referred to as catholic.  the roman Catholic church has it roots in the church at rome tha Paul started, but he seeded many other churches throughout greece and asia as well.  All christian denominations sprang forth out of what was originally called "the way."

I think there are several things the modern catholic church does that contradict scripture, and to be fair, many protestant churches have some doctrinal issues as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
ITT OP trolls and runs
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Money
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Catholics don't "worship" Mary...they venerate her and pray to her (and all the saints) to intercede on their behalf.

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death"

No different than any thread on this website where a member experiencing an illness or going through a tough time asks the other members to pray for him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Monotheism vs Polytheism ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you want to understand the fundamental differences between catholic christians and Protestant christians, you need to look at Martin Luther's Objections he nailed to the church house door.

I think there are Genuine catholics and Protestants who love Jesus and have a real relationship with him, and probably a fair number of each who do not.

From my point of view, Catholics have developed many traditions that contradict the Bible.

Using mary as a form of priest, asking her to intercede, for instance.  1 timothy 2:5  for there is one GOD and one mediator between GOD and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Mary came to see Jesus with his brothers when he was preaching in a nearby town.  One of the disciples learned she was outside desiring to see him.

Matthew 12

46 While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. 47 Then one said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You."

48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

Jesus never prayed to anyone but GOD.  When men tried to worship peter or paul, those men stopped them from doing so.  When  John bowed before an angel in revelation, the angel also did not permit it.  Why people would pray and ask mary for favors when we have the high priest himself ready to hear our petition makes no sense to me.

I also reject the claim that the original church was catholic, it was jewish, as stated above.  No where in the bible is the church referred to as catholic.  the roman Catholic church has it roots in the church at rome tha Paul started, but he seeded many other churches throughout greece and asia as well.  All christian denominations sprang forth out of what was originally called "the way."

I think there are several things the modern catholic church does that contradict scripture, and to be fair, many protestant churches have some doctrinal issues as well.
View Quote
Asking Mary to pray for you does not make her a priest.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Catholics don't "worship" Mary...they venerate her and pray to her (and all the saints) to intercede on their behalf.

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death"

No different than any thread on this website where a member experiencing an illness or going through a tough time asks the other members to pray for him.
View Quote
Exactly.   Any Protestant that won't understand that, doesn't want to.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Catholics do more ritualistic stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Christians are more likely to troll and, even amongst themselves, show prejudice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All Catholics are Christians. Not all Christians are Catholic.
View Quote
I think this was supposed to be the first post, so everyone could enter FPNI.

There are many different sects of christianity, some are:  Catholic, anglican, baptist, seventh day adventist, Lutheran, Mormon, and many others.  All have their interpretations of the Bible, and many have added their own bits onto it.  The two primary underlying beliefs are the Bible, and Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All Catholics are Christians. Not all Christians are Catholic.
View Quote
This post nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I want GDs version on this. Thanks.
View Quote

Last I checked Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity.

On a personal note I find that I disagree with a number of points of their theology, but that's true of almost any organized church including the one I'm a member of.  Disagreement is not a judgment of being 'not Christian.'
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
But Mary is dead
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#31]
almost half of catholics are leftists
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, I just see some Roman Catholics claiming "firsties" in these threads.  That's just not historically accurate.

Nor is the idea that the Church in Rome was founded by one of the original twelve apostles.  It was not. It was founded by Paul.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.
View Quote
Your argument is incorrect because the Primacy of the Roman pontiff doesn’t have anything to do with the age of the Church.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Protestants were the religious SJW's of the 16th century.
View Quote
With benefit of hindsight, Luther and arguably even Calvin are far more Orthodox Catholic than their inheritors.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Then why did you claim, incorrectly, that Peter visited Rome?
View Quote
Except for the fact that Peter himself uses one of the code words for Rome, “Babylon” in First Peter and the writings of Turtullian.

So there is at least as much internal and external evidence for Peter making it to Rome as not.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Isn't that exactly what they believe with respect to the Pope speaking ex catherdra?
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not so. There have been other Christian churches besides the Catholic Church from the very beginning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm an atheist, but Catholics are Christians. For 3/4 the time Christianity has existed, they've been the only Christians. That's like saying that people in England don't speak English.
Depends on your view of history.  My view of history is that the Catholic church as we understand it is NOT the church that was founded by Jesus through the work of Peter as described in the Bible.  I see it as a part of the Church (note the capital C) that Jesus founded through the work of Peter.  A subtle but important distinction.  The early church was not the Catholic Church as we understand it now, that came somewhat later (mostly can be traced to Rome and the influences of Constantine and his son).

The early Church predates Catholicism as we understand it in my view, so no, Catholicism was not the only game in town for the first 1500 years, but it was the largest.  There was probably a period in the dark ages, after the fall of Rome, where it may have been the only real game in town outside of tiny splinter groups (many of which were deeply flawed theologically themselves.  Gnostic groups come to mind, a theology that persists even to present day among some).  That obviously ended with the schism that created the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'll go with transubstantiation and the belief that Mary maintained her virgin innocence her whole life.
View Quote
So Lutherans are Catholics?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pope is unscriptural. Nobody is between the individual and Jesus Christ.
View Quote
Except when Jesus himself commissioned Peter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Idol worship.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Catholic here. I don't even bother when someone asks a question like this. Catholics worship Mary.
View Quote
Please cite the Catholic reference for this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Followers of Christ and his Laws, or followers of mostly man made tradition?
View Quote
I’d agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ITT OP trolls and runs
View Quote
No sir.  I'm gaining much knowledge from you fine folks in GD. I truly am. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is this thread ban bait or what!
View Quote
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But Mary is dead
View Quote
Our God is not the God of the death, but the living.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cutting out the middleman
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
almost half of catholics are leftists
View Quote
Luckily we have that bastion of conservative political thought, the Presbyterian Church in the USA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cutting out the middleman
This.  
Interesting, that was not Calvin’s intent, nor Luther’s.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Age...

Catholicism is the original Christian faith.  The catholic church was founded by the Apostles, it's 2000 years old.

The archaic doctrine comes from the middle ages, and it seems kind of foreign now I admit.  The Lutherans have only been around for about 500 years... kind of a young fledgling religion in the scheme of things.

The Eastern Church was the first to split away, that was for purely political reasons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One sentence though to compare Catholics to Prots really would be:

Catholics can be called a unified group in theology and belief, where the only unity in Protestants is basically in not being Catholic, what with there being so many denominations and sects and whatnot.
View Quote
Excepting that whole Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, competing calendars ....
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top