Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This! Catholics use made up traditions (many that came from Pagan rituals to bring in more followers to monetarily enrich the Catholic Church) instead of strictly following the teachings of the Bible, which they do not.
View Quote
Many of those traditions were practiced prior to the time of Christ, and indeed practiced BY Christ.  Others of those traditions were established by Christ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This! Catholics use made up traditions (many that came from Pagan rituals to bring in more followers to monetarily enrich the Catholic Church) instead of strictly following the teachings of the Bible, which they do not.
View Quote
Imagine my surprise when I visited the First Baptist Church in my town, who graciously allowed us to use their beautiful facility, and found a Nativity scene, poinsettas, and an Advent wreath. Poor John Smythe would be rolling in his grave!

Which traditions would you suggest we've "made up?"
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The big differences in the theology is that Catholicism holds that Jesus died for all, not a predetermined elect.

In this debate, its important to establish the intellect center for the participants, and I'd ask a Protestant, esp. a Baptist, if he was a Calvinist or Arminianism and walk through the TULIP construct together.
View Quote
Many debate the doctrine of election but reformed theology points to god’s sovereignty and omniscience when it comes to election. In other words, God knows everything about us and who will come to Christ “not a hair can fall my head...” We need him, he doesn’t need us. He is also responsible for the fundamental transformation of the heart through the power of the Holy Spirit.

God has common grace for all people but his saving grace is only for those who put their faith in Christ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not Catholic but my wife is so I go Sunday Mass.  It sure is more "churchy" than a lot of Protestant churches.  I went to a Pentecostal church and "Jesus" was not spoken for at least the first 30 minutes.

I picked this up from sitting on on Sunday Mass.  Not bad for someone who sits in the back row and has no formal "churchin'".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Many debate the doctrine of election but reformed theology points to god’s sovereignty and omniscience when it comes to election. In other words, God knows everything about us and who will come to Christ “not a hair can fall my head...” We need him, he doesn’t need us. He is also responsible for the fundamental transformation of the heart through the power of the Holy Spirit.

God has common grace for all people but his saving grace is only for those who put their faith in Christ.
View Quote
As a Catholic, I would tend to argue that we ultimately believe that no one who has lived a righteous life without knowledge of Jesus, especially through no fault of his own, will be damned by a just and loving God. Conversely, many who know Jesus, will ultimately face some judgement because we knew better and rejected the teaching of the Lord through our own failings.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As a Catholic, I would tend to argue that we ultimately believe that no one who has lived a righteous life without knowledge of Jesus, especially through no fault of his own, will be damned by a just and loving God. Conversely, many who know Jesus, will ultimately face some judgement because we knew better and rejected the teaching of the Lord through our own failings.
View Quote
You are correct in that many in this world don’t know who God is and have never seen a Bible. This is why Jesus told his disciples about the Great Commission and to “Go make discliples of all the nations...” It is our job as Christians, no matter what denomination, to spread the good news of the Gospel.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just as a matter of interest, I will explain.  I know you do not agree, but just so you understand.

We do not believe that Mary was "Holy".  She was a wonderful young woman that God found favor in.  He blessed her and allowed her to be the mother of Jesus.

But we believe that she was a sinner, just like every other human (except Jesus) that ever lived.  The Bible never even hints that she was without sin.

The Immaculate Conception is a Catholic tradition.  It is not believed by any Protestant denomination.

We believe that she was a virgin until she gave birth to Jesus.  After that, the Bible teaches that she had other children with Joseph, her husband.

We hold her in honor for being the mother of Jesus, but we do not worship or venerate her in any way.  She was Saved by Jesus, just like all of us.
View Quote
I understand Baptist theology well; his statement came across as a bit more extreme. I just wanted clarity from him.

The Bible provides support for this and Aeiparthenos is one of the oldest recorded Christian beliefs. It predates the Bible.

The Bible does not teach this. It is vague enough that it can be interpreted that she had other children but this is a retro-conned Protestant interpretation.

Catholics do not worship Mary, but I agree it is more complicated here than with the other saints.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are correct in that many in this world don’t know who God is and have never seen a Bible. This is why Jesus told his disciples about the Great Commission and to “Go make discliples of all the nations...” It is our job as Christians, no matter what denomination, to spread the good news of the Gospel.
View Quote
Agreed.

That said, we've got our work cut out for us in the US, let alone around the globe.

As a Catholic, I'd say well more than half of Catholics in the US suffer from poor or completely inadequate catechesis. I'd consider myself among them. The 1960s through the 1980s were a disaster for the US Catholic Church.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Catholicism was started over 2000 years ago by Jesus Christ, christianity was started by Martin Luther.

Christ vs Luther?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe the main difference between Catholics and other Christians is thier view on Mary. Catholics worship her as the Virgin Mary, mother of God. Other religions do not believe that she was a virgin, or do not pray to her etc. all of them believe the Jesus Christ is the son go God. And that we should be generally good people.
View Quote
Fake News!!

Catholics do not worship Mary!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Mary...
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Catholicism was started over 2000 years ago by Jesus Christ, christianity was started by Martin Luther.

Christ vs Luther?
View Quote
Luther started Christianity? That’s news to me. He started the Reformation.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Martin Luther pretty well explained the differences with his 95 thesis.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Totally false, showing that you do not understand Calvinism at all.
View Quote
RC Sproul explains unconditional election very well in this video:

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/what_is_reformed_theology/unconditional-election/
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is false.

Lutherans, for one, would disagree.

From the Formula of Concord, Solid Declaration, article VIII.24

Luther himself noted

Most serious scholars of Luther would reject the argument that Luther didn't believe in the Immaculate Conception.

The idea that Mary had other children is in the history of Christianity, an innovation that can be marked with Calvin, and exists in no other Church which can trace its origins to antiquity. Actually, its quite the opposite.
View Quote
You mis-understand.

The Immaculate Conception is the concept that May was born free from Original Sin, or "Immaculate".  Protestants do not believe in this.

Jesus did not have a "conception" - immaculate or otherwise.  Conception is the uniting of two gametes - one male, and one female.  Rather, Jesus was incarnated in the womb.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fake News!!

Catholics do not worship Mary!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
They just have statues of her up on the wall like an idol, sell candles with her image on it, and say prayers to her, but by golly, there's no worshiping going on ....
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to the PCRA website... Unconditional Election is further defined as;

This means simply: God chooses to give some people eternal life, without looking for anything good in them as a condition for loving and saving them.
Before any man or woman is born -- in fact, before the world was made -- God decided who would go to heaven and who would not. Before they did good or bad, God chose some to be His people and rejected others.
Notice the emphasis on "some" and before any decision of  a "choice" between "good or bad."

Again, this isn't the Catholic understanding of TULIP (or the Catholic understanding of predestination, for that matter) but the PCRA.org one. It was also the understanding taught by my decidedly non-Catholic theology teacher.

Issues like this sum up a central critique of Protestantism writ large, namely theological and doctrinal drift. Luther today would be an mainline Catholic, or perhaps conservative, with regard to his views of Mary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#20]
7+ pages and only one brief reply from the OP.

You've been trolled, GD.

Hey, everybody! Let's focus on whatever tiny difference we can, thereby furthering our divisions instead of focusing on all of this stuff upon which we agree completely and making the world a better place! Hooray for fractious nonsense!

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You mis-understand.

The Immaculate Conception is the concept that May was born free from Original Sin, or "Immaculate".  Protestants do not believe in this.

Jesus did not have a "conception" - immaculate or otherwise.  Conception is the uniting of two gametes - one male, and one female.  Rather, Jesus was incarnated in the womb.
View Quote
Well, Luther himself DID believe in Immaculate Conception. Again, its one of those historical realities. Now, was there theological drift. Undoubtedly, in Luther's own lifetime. But that doesn't negate the core belief, and there is reasonable scholarship it remained Luther's belief until his death.

Again, I think its as valuable to compare the Roman Catholic belief in Mary to other Churches of antiquity to the rather modern innovation of Calvin to see which is the far more mainline belief.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They just have statues of her up on the wall like an idol, sell candles with her image on it, and say prayers to her, but by golly, there's no worshiping going on ....
View Quote
I went to a mainline Baptist church with a Nativity Scene, and I've seen probably dozens of movies, living Nativity scenes, etc. and other Protestant invocations of the Virgin Mary. Are they engaged in idolatry, too?

No prayers are said to Mary within the Roman Catholic Church. Its a trope, a falsehood and a completely scurrilous charge.

Mary retains singular dignity among all the saints. Because of that, her intercession is rightly sought. One cannot study Mary without Jesus, and Jesus without his relationship to Mary. Its incoherent.

Further, Mary's Immaculate Conception was at HER conception, not that of Jesus. Catholic belief was that Jesus was "Begotten, not made, and con-substantial with the Father" as is represented in the Nicene Creed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I like beer
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Catholics don't "worship" Mary...they venerate her and pray to her (and all the saints) to intercede on their behalf.

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death"

No different than any thread on this website where a member experiencing an illness or going through a tough time asks the other members to pray for him.
View Quote
Except that she can't hear you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

According to the PCRA website... Unconditional Election is further defined as;

Notice the emphasis on "some" and before any decision of  a "choice" between "good or bad."

Again, this isn't the Catholic understanding of TULIP (or the Catholic understanding of predestination, for that matter) but the PCRA.org one. It was also the understanding taught by my decidedly non-Catholic theology teacher.

Issues like this sum up a central critique of Protestantism writ large, namely theological and doctrinal drift. Luther today would be an mainline Catholic, or perhaps conservative, with regard to his views of Mary.
View Quote
To believe in the doctrine of election you must first acknowledge that humans are desperately wicked and depraved and the heart is sinful. What we deserve is eternal misery but by God’s grace and mercy he used Jesus’s death as the atonement for our sins. So for those that God doesn’t choose, that is justice and not unrighteousness. Most people do not believe in total depravity. In fact, many can’t take the presence of God. He’s offensive to our natural state.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So Lutherans are Catholics?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go with transubstantiation and the belief that Mary maintained her virgin innocence her whole life.
So Lutherans are Catholics?
Lutherans believe in consubstantiation, not transubstantiation.

We also don't believe that Mary remained a virgin her whole life.

So, other than being completely wrong, you nailed it!
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Except when Jesus himself commissioned Peter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pope is unscriptural. Nobody is between the individual and Jesus Christ.
Except when Jesus himself commissioned Peter.
He also referred to him as Satan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, if Luther disagrees, you're more Lutheran than Luther?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why not?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?
Because she's dead and the dead don't communicate with the living.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What orifice are you pulling this shit from.

At least TRY to learn something about what you're commenting on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#32]
It depends on whether or not one believes there was ever an apostasy necessitating a restoration of the original Church organized by Christ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
almost half of catholics are leftists
View Quote
Catholics love to vote for baby killers stating separation of church and state.

Fact is if you vote for a baby killer you are a baby killer
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#35]
As a Methodist, I can put a con-dom on my John Thomas.  A Catholic can't.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Historically, catholics were better known for the rituals, bells and smells, harking back to their pagan antecedents.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I went to a mainline Baptist church with a Nativity Scene, and I've seen probably dozens of movies, living Nativity scenes, etc. and other Protestant invocations of the Virgin Mary. Are they engaged in idolatry, too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you see anyone praying to, or mentioning, the donkey, or any other part of the Nativity Scene?

No prayers are said to Mary within the Roman Catholic Church. Its a trope, a falsehood and a completely scurrilous charge.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

To my non-Catholic eye, that looks a lot like a prayer, including the "Amen" at the end.

Mary retains singular dignity among all the saints. Because of that, her intercession is rightly sought. One cannot study Mary without Jesus, and Jesus without his relationship to Mary. Its incoherent.
The Son of God said that He alone could make intercession for us.    No direction to seek others to intercede for us.

Further, Mary's Immaculate Conception was at HER conception, not that of Jesus. Catholic belief was that Jesus was "Begotten, not made, and con-substantial with the Father" as is represented in the Nicene Creed.
That's what I said.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Newsflash: Plenty of religious folks vote Democrat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Catholics love to vote for baby killers stating separation of church and state.

Fact is if you vote for a baby killer you are a baby killer
Newsflash: Plenty of religious folks vote Democrat.
Yes that's true, but to hear a devout Catholic and I mean every time the door is open and Knight of Columbus to the max, defend his vote to the nth degree is really something to see.

I mean it is hard to believe.  I have many catholic friends and go to a lot of their events.  I am a Church of Christ Raised back slider and no longer Have a problem with Catholics like the Church of Christ has.

I figure we are all headed in the same general direction and compared to mooslims we are Christian Brothers headed in more or less the RIGHT direction.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Prots have inferior aesthetics. Eastern Orthodox is best. Catholics are middle of the road and their branding suffers for it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We also believe in a personal relationship, where Catholics require intercession.
View Quote
Nope, not required.

But nice to have available if needed.
Like if you were throwing a wedding and ran out of wine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What orifice are you pulling this shit from.

At least TRY to learn something about what you're commenting on.
View Quote
So, Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Cramner and Wesley all stated at some point that Mary was perpetually Virgin, but they are wrong?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought it was Armenian Orthodox?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Age...

Catholicism is the original Christian faith.  The catholic church was founded by the Apostles, it's 2000 years old.

The archaic doctrine comes from the middle ages, and it seems kind of foreign now I admit.  The Lutherans have only been around for about 500 years... kind of a young fledgling religion in the scheme of things.

The Eastern Church was the first to split away, that was for purely political reasons.
I thought it was Armenian Orthodox?
Not even the Armenians make that claim.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So, Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Cramner and Wesley all stated at some point that Mary was perpetually Virgin, but they are wrong?
View Quote
That poor bastard Joseph.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I can't think of a Baptist "nation," though Branson might come close!
View Quote
Impossible. People dance freely in Branson.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The Crusaders were Catholic. The other denominations in Europe hadn't been invented yet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Crusaders were Catholic. The other denominations in Europe hadn't been invented yet.
View Quote
Had they had Methodists, they could 'ave run the ol' number 6 on 'em, ....

Link Posted: 1/9/2018 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Slightly different business plan to extort money and keep you in line.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top