Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guyger, Potter, Chauvin, and the 1/6 folks might disagree.
View Quote

And I will disagree and say there is an entire chain of mistakes that led them to the position they are in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And I will disagree and say there is an entire chain of mistakes that led them to the position they are in.
View Quote

Sure..but that chain begins with but one. One choice, one poor decision, one mistake starts the process. In many case, that poor choice may have been made for them, and not by them. We are all responsible for our own decisions, but not all of us have the same upbringing, moral structure, and support system.

I am not excusing anyone's actions, but to say that everyone who is in prison got there because they are nothing but criminals by choice who deserved to be in a hole 25 hours a day is bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bust out the numbers, man. Or just keep insulting me.

I don't really care either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think what's more fucked is that one quarter of the world's prisoners are in the US.

You start looking at lists of nations sorted by incarceration rates and we're in some pretty unfavorable company.

Quoted:

Yep. I don't understand why we permit blatant gang activity to take place inside prisons.

The doors close, and a slot opens three times a day for bland, nutritious food. Your sentence is up, you get walked to the gates.

Why is it more complicated than that?

your first statement answered your question....Do you have any idea what it would take for the entire inmate population to be locked down 24/7?

I do, because it happened at the beginning of this covid bullshit.....hand feeding inmates at their doors for every meal...extra staff to bag meals since the inmates that cook can't come out...and that's just one simple issue....the funding and staff just doesn't exist for anything resembling that....and then there's the politicians, lawyers, and judges

By all means, educate me.

As far as I can tell you'd only need a fraction of the guards if all prisoners are behind bars at all times.

You're telling me that reassigning some of the guards to be meal cart operators would be a bridge too far?

You have any idea of the workforce needed to cook 8000 meals a day ?

Why would more meals need to be cooked? Do they not get 3 meals a day as it stands now?

They are getting 3 a day because the inmates are not locked down and doing the food prep.

If they were kept in lockdown as you think they should be that's 8000 meals that won't be cooking themselves.

Understand now ?

Fine, hire more cooks. You're acting like this is some insurmountable barrier.

Do you have a couple million in the budget for that or do you use labor you're already paying for ?

You're saying a couple million is all that stands in the way between rampant gang activity inside prisons and locking down prisoners entirely?

Yeah, I think I can find a couple million to make that work.

The majority of the working inmates are not your problem children.

You can't see the cornstalk for the cornfield.

Bust out the numbers then. What would it cost, per inmate, to replace his labor with minimum wage outside employment? You keep talking as if this prisoner labor is such a strategic resource. In that case, why not imprison even more people, for even more free labor?

How is this even relevant in your mind ?

It's not. I don't care what it costs. You're the one who keeps bringing up how expensive it would be to remove the prisoner labor from the system.

You're the one who said every prisoner should be kept in ad seg, yet that's not the way prison works and you have no concept of what you speak.

You already said you can't figure out how 8k meals a day would be cooked if you had inmates in 23 hour a day lockup, as well as saying you don't care what the cost would be.

What's the point ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You already said you can't figure out how 8k meals a day would be cooked if you had inmates in 23 hour a day lockup, as well as saying you don't care what the cost would be.

What's the point ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think what's more fucked is that one quarter of the world's prisoners are in the US.

You start looking at lists of nations sorted by incarceration rates and we're in some pretty unfavorable company.

Quoted:

Yep. I don't understand why we permit blatant gang activity to take place inside prisons.

The doors close, and a slot opens three times a day for bland, nutritious food. Your sentence is up, you get walked to the gates.

your first statement answered your question....Do you have any idea what it would take for the entire inmate population to be locked down 24/7?

I do, because it happened at the beginning of this covid bullshit.....hand feeding inmates at their doors for every meal...extra staff to bag meals since the inmates that cook can't come out...and that's just one simple issue....the funding and staff just doesn't exist for anything resembling that....and then there's the politicians, lawyers, and judges

As far as I can tell you'd only need a fraction of the guards if all prisoners are behind bars at all times.

You're telling me that reassigning some of the guards to be meal cart operators would be a bridge too far?

Why would more meals need to be cooked? Do they not get 3 meals a day as it stands now?

They are getting 3 a day because the inmates are not locked down and doing the food prep.

If they were kept in lockdown as you think they should be that's 8000 meals that won't be cooking themselves.

Understand now ?

Do you have a couple million in the budget for that or do you use labor you're already paying for ?

You're saying a couple million is all that stands in the way between rampant gang activity inside prisons and locking down prisoners entirely?

Bust out the numbers then. What would it cost, per inmate, to replace his labor with minimum wage outside employment? You keep talking as if this prisoner labor is such a strategic resource. In that case, why not imprison even more people, for even more free labor?

It's not. I don't care what it costs. You're the one who keeps bringing up how expensive it would be to remove the prisoner labor from the system.

You're the one who said every prisoner should be kept in ad seg, yet that's not the way prison works and you have no concept of what you speak.

What's the point ?

I did not say that I can't figure out how 8,000 meals a day would be cooked, and in fact I advocated for 24 hour a day lockup, not 23.

You may have me confused with someone else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did not say that I can't figure out how 8,000 meals a day would be cooked, and in fact I advocated for 24 hour a day lockup, not 23.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Understand now ?

What's the point ?

That's great and all, except you did.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Understand now ?

What's the point ?

I'm reasonably sure my answer to the question was something like "Hire some more people." Not "I have no idea how to cook 8,000 meals a day."

And I definitely never advocated for a 23 hour lockup day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Papillon , the book, not the shitty movies.
View Quote

great book. though there are a lot of claims that he author made a lot  of  it up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's fucked up is the laws that put them in prison. If you cannot be free then society has no purpose for you.

View Quote
So society has no use for the people that were involved on entering the capital on January 6 and have been in solitary confinement since?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So we should just accept having the highest incarceration rate in the world? Higher than North Korea, which literally runs concentration camps for the families of defectors?

No, a judge says we can't fix things so I guess we're fucked, eh?
View Quote

What are you doing to change the system you hate?

Not attacking you, honest question.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC there are privately run, for profit prisons in the US.
There's money to be made.

We tried private prisons here. Built two.
They both failed miserably.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's fucked up is the laws that put them in prison. If you cannot be free then society has no purpose for you.

View Quote

Underrated post.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Underrated post.
View Quote

I guess if you have no critical thinking skills and can only deal with absolutes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we should just accept having the highest incarceration rate in the world? Higher than North Korea, which literally runs concentration camps for the families of defectors?

Skipped to page 4.

The solution is to have another awakening, another enlightenment. Convince others this isn't a good system and change it.

Okay you broke the law, what now? I'd argue:
1.) You make the victim whole
2.) If not possible or your crime was abhorrent then you're executed.

If you are too dangerous to be in society why are we creating a parallel society to make criminals better? To allow them to network and discuss?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Except that, as one poster who seems to know what he's talking about said,  you're one mistake away from ending up in prison.
View Quote

I don't think that most men if honest wouldn't be in prison for something they'd done if caught.

Not saying I've ever done anything that would have put me in prison.

If they want you in jail they'll put you there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I guess if you have no critical thinking skills and can only deal with absolutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Underrated post.

Justice should make victims whole or remove them from society permanently.

What good is a drunk in prison?

Why does the government punish crimes against itself tougher than crimes against the people the entire institution of government was designed to protect?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think that most men if honest wouldn't be in prison for something they'd done if caught.

Not saying I've ever done anything that would have put me in prison.

If they want you in jail they'll put you there.
View Quote

lol

That's so delusional.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, I'm okay with more taxes to fix our utterly fucked prison system.

Among Western nations, we imprison the highest percentage of our population. That is not acceptable to me. We waged the war on drugs. We lost. Time to cut our losses and quit fighting it.
View Quote

I agree with this 100%.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Why can't we execute pedophiles? Society has no use for them.

Why are some guys that broke into the capital in solitary confinement?

Why is it illegal for CEOs to trade off insider knowledge but not illegal for Congressmen to trade on legislation they intend to pass?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#19]
At the end of the day....a lot of these dudes are locked up for low level shit...which i'm sure is what @TacticalGarand44 is taking issue with and I can't say I disagree.

Having some other path for them to take would be useful, but a lot of the time there are those paths in place and they have exhausted their usage of them.

Too many of these dudes were just plain too dumb not to go to prison. Whether you think we lock up too many people or too few, or are too easy on criminals or too hard...the system is what it is...a lot could change but wont because prisons are not vote getters....amnesty for criminals won't win elections.

so we get shoved into a dark corner to do our thing and deal with these people the best way we know how and within the confines of the law, policy, and court orders...These are still people, who most of which simply made a series of errors or were addicts and their path led them here..we still have to treat them humanely and afford them the best chance of success when they get out...because they will release, into your neighborhood.

Some day all of this may change, and we can live in a world where we only lock up violent offenders and keep them confined 24hrs a day but that day isn't today...or any time soon for that matter....But ask Rashida Talib....She's got a plan
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
How many of those advocating 23/24 hour lockdown have spent any time in side a prison...?

I'm on year 31
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Skipped to page 4.

The solution is to have another awakening, another enlightenment. Convince others this isn't a good system and change it.

Okay you broke the law, what now? I'd argue:
1.) You make the victim whole
2.) If not possible or your crime was abhorrent then you're executed.

If you are too dangerous to be in society why are we creating a parallel society to make criminals better? To allow them to network and discuss?
View Quote

I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many of those advocating 23/24 hour lockdown have spent any time in side a prison...?

I'm on year 31
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

lol

That's so delusional.
View Quote

So you're saying you've never EVER done something that could have put you in jail if caught?

You didn't make fireworks as a kid? Anything like that could have put you in jail.

I'm not saying most people in jail are that way, I'm saying our system is a joke.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I personally believe all jail/prison sentences should be in solitary confinement. The length of the sentence should be reduced, on average, to approximately 1/3 of what we give now. The only exception should be for murder, kidnapping and rape.
View Quote

I could support that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nothing at all.
View Quote

I can respect an honest man.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm on year 31
View Quote

I advocate 24 hour lockdown.

I haven't spent one hour inside a prison.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why not just kill them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

Which them? Guys who skipped out on a traffic warrant and got caught? Or serial rapists of 7 year olds?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why not just kill them?
View Quote

You guys suddenly have a lot of trust in the courts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Facility I worked, if inmates were in Administrative Segregation, aka "AdSeg" they were allowed Commissary, reading/writing materials, etc. They were in 23hr lockdown due to their risk in general population with 1hr out to shower, watch TV, make phonecalls.

If inmates were in Disciplinary Segregation, aka "The Hole", they were prohibited from commissary, reading materials etc.  They were in 23hr lockdown due to behavioral issues with 1hr out for showers or to make phonecalls, no TV allowed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I personally believe all jail/prison sentences should be in solitary confinement. The length of the sentence should be reduced, on average, to approximately 1/3 of what we give now. The only exception should be for murder, kidnapping and rape.
View Quote

Absolutely horrible idea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just kill them?

You have a solid point.

But I think there's an argument to be made that that would be the solution after it's determined it's impossible to make the victim whole. Which is not very common. Theft? Property crime? Pretty easy to make the victim whole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Which them? Guys who skipped out on a traffic warrant and got caught? Or serial rapists of 7 year olds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

The latter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

The latter.

Hang them, display the body for 7 days in town square, and bury them somewhere outside city limits in an unmarked grave.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

You think traffic warrant offenders are in state prison ?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hang them, display the body for 7 days in town square, and bury them somewhere outside city limits in an unmarked grave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

The latter.

If you've ever read the laws on executing pedos the Supreme Court overturned, they were incredibly reasonable.

Like over the top reasonable.

(I'm riffing here from memory)  but it would be like on your third offense with a victim under 11 or something completely reasonable. It wasn't shotar tier a 17yo texting a 18yo
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.

I don't grow corn, and this conversation was never limited to state prisons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What you describe sounds like more of a psych ward then a regular prison with actual convicts. I've seen dudes (gang member/murder charge type stuff) spend a ton of time in solitary and they read books, call their family, listen to the radio, and do rec. And they're fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be wrong....It's not like getting to spend time alone to catch up on reading...There's no TV...very little time for rec....It stinks..other inmates are yelling, screaming..you can't see anything that's going on, your social interaction consists of being fed through a slot in the door and having a flashlight shined in your face every 30 minutes, day or night..you have one sheet, and one blanket...no pillow...Your concept of time is all fucked up...It is a complete mind fuck...you'll pace the floor in your cell for hours....lay down and sleep....and repeat the process over and over....hypersomnolence and insomnia are both very possible....you don't even have control over whether or not your lights are on in the cell.....you absolutely WILL be psychologically damaged...these dudes spend weeks/months or years locked up like this for one reason or another and they just can't function any other way....Their letters out and phone calls are usually incoherent rambling....the shit is wild....so no.....you wouldn't like it, you would far prefer the company of other inmates....and you would quickly give up giving a shit why they were there

What you describe sounds like more of a psych ward then a regular prison with actual convicts. I've seen dudes (gang member/murder charge type stuff) spend a ton of time in solitary and they read books, call their family, listen to the radio, and do rec. And they're fine.

No, his description is exactly accurate

What you are describing is Administrative Segregation

Very different
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Very different
View Quote

Nope. AD/DS are the same thing where I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.

Once sentenced rapists are no longer in county.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.

Most soybean pods contain three seeds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very different
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be wrong....It's not like getting to spend time alone to catch up on reading...There's no TV...very little time for rec....It stinks..other inmates are yelling, screaming..you can't see anything that's going on, your social interaction consists of being fed through a slot in the door and having a flashlight shined in your face every 30 minutes, day or night..you have one sheet, and one blanket...no pillow...Your concept of time is all fucked up...It is a complete mind fuck...you'll pace the floor in your cell for hours....lay down and sleep....and repeat the process over and over....hypersomnolence and insomnia are both very possible....you don't even have control over whether or not your lights are on in the cell.....you absolutely WILL be psychologically damaged...these dudes spend weeks/months or years locked up like this for one reason or another and they just can't function any other way....Their letters out and phone calls are usually incoherent rambling....the shit is wild....so no.....you wouldn't like it, you would far prefer the company of other inmates....and you would quickly give up giving a shit why they were there

Very different

Are you under the impression that prisons and psych wards are not one in the same? you shouldn't be...because they are.

I have yet to meet an inmate that didn't have some manner of psychological defect

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#44]
What do you mean by "solitary"?

Most states have had lawsuits and can't have "solitary" or a long times spent in restricted housing.  Generally inmates can be in a restricted housing unit, where they can get commissary.  They also get an hour of yard a day, music on the radio, visits by psych and nurses daily, out of cell counseling daily, rounds by management weekly, and numerous other things.

They can purchase keyboards, electric guitars, radios, tvs, notebooks/tablets, etc on commissary.

They have access to better gyms for free, including exercise classes, then you pay for.

They generally get better free medical care then you will get with insurance and not being in prison.

Some states have free college degrees, generally bachelors in 5 or 6 different areas.

Welfare/Public Assistance packets are completed for them before they leave prison.

Many also got the stimulus checks that you got also.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you under the impression that prisons and psych wards are not one in the same? you shouldn't be...because they are.

I have yet to meet an inmate that didn't have some manner of psychological defect

View Quote

I'm sure it varies wildly prison to prison.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.

I wish I was 23 and knew everything.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you go to prison, you only get hygiene items until you’re out of prison.
View Quote

FIFY

Fuck em, don't kill, rape, steal, or touch kids.  They don't deserve commissary, I don't care how menial it is.  If we made prison less comfortable, fewer people would be ok going there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on year 31

Why not just kill them?

That's county lock up.

Stick to cornfields.

Shit, so do I.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm on year 31
View Quote

They don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about which why I stopped even discussing it with them.  I’d get farther explaining it to this dog sleeping under my leg.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just kill them?

Haha.  No shit, right?

They never get it wrong and lawyers are always ethical and honest.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top