Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Their sandwiches tasted better served in the Styrofoam containers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
1984 obviously is too early for McDonald's to fatten up their customers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

I’d have to see a cite to prove that the fried “chicken paste” nugget then differs from the fried “chicken paste” nugget now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Fries cooked in beef lard!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

Screens, games, entertainment.  Tv for the most part sucked back then.  Atari 2600 was the gaming system.  No one had a smart phone or ipad.  No social media. If you were going to sit around all day it was going to be mighty boring.  Sports were less competitive, more people could play them casually in school.  Now if you weren’t doing summer/winter training camps since you were 7 you’re not playing.  People were less concerned about their kids running free all day. Probably less office/computer jobs, not sure about that one though, where I grew up it was all white collar even back then.  It was a less sedentary society overall.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1984 was when Atari was killing the game market. Cable TV was hugely popular. Remote Controlz were common as heck.
View Quote

You got a remote control for your cable TV box.  Otherwise it was twist the dial to change channels.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
lol
Wow you listen to all the chiropractors and dentists and psychologists on youtube don't you. They use their "Dr." to make it seem like they're an expert to the clowns that follow them. In reality they cherry pick or misinterpret studies to support the narrative they are pushing and it gets repeated over and over by those too lazy to question it.

HFCS, sugar, carbs, seed oils and estrogen are not the reason the population is getting fatter.  The population has increased it's calorie intake and that is making the population fatter. It is 100% the fault of the fat individual, not the food.

View Quote

you have half of it....They did increase calorie intake......

they also reduced physical work, leisure exercise in exchange for more sedentary pursuits.

Guilty myself!   I am typing here on an ipad.   30 years ago I’d be rabbit hunting on a Saturday and or sightseeing walking at the local mall and catch a movie later.  

My grandparents and parents would go for walks after dinner.   Camping,picnics etc.   Food was more basic but my mom’s cooking skills got way better with experience.    As a kid we had a basic plate,.......meat, carb, veg.   Dessert was mostly a Sunday thing after a roast beef or roast pork dinner.  That meal was usually enough you might get seconds if you wished.   Second helpings were a rarer thing during the week.  Lunches were a cheese sammich with lettuce with mustard.  No fries, no chips, maybe a pickle or a slice of tomato.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

A mixture of several things already mentioned, corn syrup, super-sized meals....but also, people didn't eat fast food for every meal.
It was more common to cook at home where people had healthier choices, controlled portions, and enjoyed dinner with family.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad we can't see the prices.  Wasn't there a $1 meal at one time?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Screens, games, entertainment.  Tv for the most part sucked back then.  Atari 2600 was the gaming system.  No one had a smart phone or ipad.  No social media. If you were going to sit around all day it was going to be mighty boring.  Sports were less competitive, more people could play them casually in school.  Now if you weren’t doing summer/winter training camps since you were 7 you’re not playing.  People were less concerned about their kids running free all day. Probably less office/computer jobs, not sure about that one though, where I grew up it was all white collar even back then.  It was a less sedentary society overall.
View Quote

Drive around any decent modern suburb.  See any kids outside playing/riding bikes/etc?  I didn't think so.  They're all inside jerking off their brains at the altar of technology.  Being fat should be an expected consequence.  As much as I hate to agree with a murderer, ol' Ted was right.  Tech WILL be our society's ruination.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

The 20 piece nugget was considered a family portion back then.  So, $4 plus some fries and drinks was a reasonable price for a family meal.

Now, fatasses consume an entire 20 piece in one sitting. It’s disgusting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Loved the McDLT
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I don’t think hfcs was the culprit.  We were outside playing everyday, cycling, skateboarding, playing basketball etc.  I walked to school or the bus stop.  We were much more active.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That documented the last time Mickey D’s had a working ice cream machine.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This was back when you got your ass kicked or shamed
To the point you wouldn't come out in public if you were fat, had blue hair, dressed like a women, or were gay. As it should be.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Their food sucks now.
Used to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did your parents give a constant supply of crackers and juice for your first 5-6 years?

I was born in the 80's and mine sure as hell didn't. You get breakfast, then you got lunch later. I also would attack junk food if I could find it, but it wasn't as available, and I was often too busy playing. We were outside non stop most days. Video games were for the evening when it got too dark or cold.

So many parents now give their kids snacks all day long, they walk around with containers full of goldfish and sippy cups full of juice the whole time they are awake.

This trains them to eat like cattle, it's a habit that is not easily broken.

I have a nephew and two nieces that were raised that way, and guess what, they are fat, and still have the eating habits of a fat person. My own kids are allowed an occasional snack, but otherwise have to eat at meal time, so far they are bean poles like I was.
View Quote

In the 80’s we had things that were treats, not daily food intake.   My brown bag school lunch was a sammich, usual pbj or bologna, a piece of fruit and maybe and I mean maybe a treat like some cookies like two or three Oreos.   Like one package in the cupboard then you didn’t see them again for another month or two.   We didn’t get fun size chips, HoHos, granola bars everyday in my house.  Some kids at school did but not my house.

Potato chips were picnic food or party food.  It wasn’t a regular pantry item.  Home baked cookies, brownies were an odd treat relished by sugar loving kids.  Pies were for holidays.  Cakes were for birthdays or holidays.  (mom would bake and decorate a cake for valentine’s day or St. Patrick’s day to make it festive.).  Food treats were more common on picnics and camping trips.  

Somewhere in the 90’s the treats became more a part of the regular diet.   We also ate at restaurants a lot more during the 80’s as our parents were doing fairly well after the 70’s Carter years.  13% mortgages.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Comparison of those prices (I had to guess at a few) adjusted for inflation for 2022 (187% increase):
@SWIRE

Item    1984    2022
Bacon egg and cheese biscuit    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit    $0.89    $2.51
Big breakfast sausage etc    $1.85    $5.22
Scrambled eggs and biscuit    $1.05    $2.96
Hot cakes and sausage    $1.40    $3.95
Hot cakes    $0.87    $2.45
Egg mcmuffin    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin    $0.87    $2.45
Hash Browns    $0.38    $1.07
danish    $0.85    $2.40
Chicken mcnuggets 6 pieces    $1.42    $4.00
Chicken mcnuggets 9 pieces    $2.03    $5.72
Chicken mcnuggets 20 pieces    $4.15    $11.70
Big Mac    $1.48    $4.17
Quarter Pounder    $1.43    $4.03
Royale with Cheese    $1.60    $4.51
Filet-O-Fish    $1.25    $3.53
Cheeseburger    $0.75    $2.12
Hamburger    $0.60    $1.69
French Fries    $0.67    $1.89
French Fries Large    $0.83    $2.34
Double Cheeseburger    $1.52    $4.29
Drink Small    $0.57    $1.61
Drink Med    $0.67    $1.89
Drink Large    $0.77    $2.17
Milkshakes    $0.75    $2.12
Milk    $0.45    $1.27
Florida Orange Juice    $0.45    $1.27
Coffee    $0.35    $0.99
Coffee Large    $0.45    $1.27
Hot Apple Pie    $0.62    $1.75
Sundaes    $0.60    $1.69
Cone Soft Serve    $0.50    $1.41
Mcdonaldland Cookies    $0.50    $1.41
Chocolatey Chip Cookies    $0.55    $1.55
Gift Certificate    $0.50    $1.41

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comparison of those prices (I had to guess at a few) adjusted for inflation for 2022 (187% increase):
@SWIRE

Item    1984    2022
Bacon egg and cheese biscuit    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit    $0.89    $2.51
Big breakfast sausage etc    $1.85    $5.22
Scrambled eggs and biscuit    $1.05    $2.96
Hot cakes and sausage    $1.40    $3.95
Hot cakes    $0.87    $2.45
Egg mcmuffin    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin    $0.87    $2.45
Hash Browns    $0.38    $1.07
danish    $0.85    $2.40
Chicken mcnuggets 6 pieces    $1.42    $4.00
Chicken mcnuggets 9 pieces    $2.03    $5.72
Chicken mcnuggets 20 pieces    $4.15    $11.70
Big Mac    $1.48    $4.17
Quarter Pounder    $1.43    $4.03
Royale with Cheese    $1.60    $4.51
Filet-O-Fish    $1.25    $3.53
Cheeseburger    $0.75    $2.12
Hamburger    $0.60    $1.69
French Fries    $0.67    $1.89
French Fries Large    $0.83    $2.34
Double Cheeseburger    $1.52    $4.29
Drink Small    $0.57    $1.61
Drink Med    $0.67    $1.89
Drink Large    $0.77    $2.17
Milkshakes    $0.75    $2.12
Milk    $0.45    $1.27
Florida Orange Juice    $0.45    $1.27
Coffee    $0.35    $0.99
Coffee Large    $0.45    $1.27
Hot Apple Pie    $0.62    $1.75
Sundaes    $0.60    $1.69
Cone Soft Serve    $0.50    $1.41
Mcdonaldland Cookies    $0.50    $1.41
Chocolatey Chip Cookies    $0.55    $1.55
Gift Certificate    $0.50    $1.41

The only thing that has stayed the same is the temperature the apple pie is when served.  It's still served when the filling is the same temp as the surface of the sun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Drive around any decent modern suburb.  See any kids outside playing/riding bikes/etc?  I didn't think so.  They're all inside jerking off their brains at the altar of technology.  Being fat should be an expected consequence.  As much as I hate to agree with a murderer, ol' Ted was right.  Tech WILL be our society's ruination.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rode my bike for hours at a time, sometimes just in circles with my friends.  It’s like a special event for my kids to ride.  Like when we take the bikes to a trail or something.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No 3+ inch fingernails!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.

No 3+ inch fingernails!!  

No tattoos and facial piercing.  No people handling your food with hands and arms that look like the bathroom wall in a bus station.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Women were so much hotter in the 80s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just told my wife last night about something that happened on a college job we did this summer.

We had a bunch of sidewalks closed, you could still get around while staying on the sidewalk, but some people decided to just straight line it and go offroad.

One kid that had apparently never been off a sidewalk in his entire life made it about 20 feet before eating it big time because the terrain was slightly uneven. He bit it hard, and then had a hell of a time standing back up. very soft looking boy.

At 18 we used to just jump off of shit for fun and tuck and roll...or eat shit and laugh.
View Quote

Ha, that brings back memories........

the kids highway for us whether walking or on bikes was the wooded town waterline path through the villages that was the off highway preferred route of travel.  Basically a semi abandoned gated closed dirt road that was the route to the villages WWTP and water lines feeding the various neighborhoods.  I could cross a bridge over the large creek and travel the length of the village in the woods then switch over to railway property.  I’d only have to cross a couple roads, it’d conveniently have connector paths to the strip mall with the arcade, a hobby shop, record town store, and Woolworths.  

We used to make bicycle jumps back there and sleigh ride the hills in the winter.  Kids on dirt bikes would draw unwanted attention from the town PD.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I rode my bike for hours at a time, sometimes just in circles with my friends.  It’s like a special event for my kids to ride.  Like when we take the bikes to a trail or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The summers were awesome.  Leave after breakfast.  MAYBE pause for a bologna sandwich at lunch time at a friend's house.  Come home at darn near dark thirty.  Exhausted, hot,hungry, and filthy.  Do it all over again the next day.  I swear I would give up ALL the "tech" just to live in that time again.  No shit.  If a genie would offer the chance, I would take it.  I regret each day that my kids have to grow up in such a shitty time.  Back then there was hope the future would be better as time went on.  Now there is assurance it will not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Remote controls weren't as common nor was cable TV and let's not forget PCs and video game consoles were pretty new too.  No one has to move to do anything now.
View Quote

When I was a yoot I was the remote control.

Dad: Maverick will be on, turn the channel to WALA.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Now in 2023 at Wendy's.

Wendy's manager arrested for yelling racial slurs at high school basketball team
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don’t think hfcs was the culprit.  We were outside playing everyday, cycling, skateboarding, playing basketball etc.  I walked to school or the bus stop.  We were much more active.
View Quote

Agreed....it’s mostly math...

weight tomorrow = weight today + calories eaten - calories burned off.  

Only way to influence the balance is to alter the parameters you control.  
I don’t work the number to my best health either.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My buddy says:

"For those who don't accurately remember, the chicken nuggets back then were nasty, if you bothered to look inside them. They were made of a mixture of tiny squares of dark and white waste  meat that was mechanical separated and processed, then glued together in a nugget shape and then breaded & frozen, to be fried in shortening at the restaurant.

The modern nuggets are at least made from real cuts of meat, even though they are probably full of chemicals like growth hormones and plumped up with salt water and whatever else. Not sure when growth hormones were allowed in the feed, but I'm sure McDonald's used and uses the cheapest meat they can get, even in the 1980s."
View Quote
This.  Even in the 80s the chicken nuggets were nasty.  About one in five had nasty cord/cartilage material in it which was a vomit inducing landmine for anyone with food textute issues.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]
McDonalds food was actually edible back then.  Once Mcdonalds became known as Micky Dees it went to shit and I've never eaten there again on going close to 20 years now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The only thing that has stayed the same is the temperature the apple pie is when served.  It's still served when the filling is the same temp as the surface of the sun.
View Quote

The cook time in the fried ones back in the day was 5min, 56sec. The cooling time afterwards before they were sent forward was supposed to be 30 or 60min, I forget now.  Often that cooling period got violated.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No tattoos and facial piercing.  No people handling your food with hands and arms that look like the bathroom wall in a bus station.
View Quote

This    was in one last weekend and that was the case .    That pleasant, nice looking registrar gal is long gone .
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This.  Even in the 80s the chicken nuggets were nasty.  About one in five had nasty cord/cartilage material in it which was a vomit inducing landmine for anyone with food textute issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My buddy says:

"For those who don't accurately remember, the chicken nuggets back then were nasty, if you bothered to look inside them. They were made of a mixture of tiny squares of dark and white waste  meat that was mechanical separated and processed, then glued together in a nugget shape and then breaded & frozen, to be fried in shortening at the restaurant.

The modern nuggets are at least made from real cuts of meat, even though they are probably full of chemicals like growth hormones and plumped up with salt water and whatever else. Not sure when growth hormones were allowed in the feed, but I'm sure McDonald's used and uses the cheapest meat they can get, even in the 1980s."

This.  It took only one time gagging on gristle for me to swear them off.  They're actually more palatable now lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They opened a McD in the town I grew up in back in the mid 60s.  Back then, you could get a regular hamburger, a small fries, and a small drink, and get change back from a dollar.  This would keep a skinny person (by today's standards) going from lunch to dinner.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mid to late 70's they ran the Quarterback special.  Hamburger, small fries, small drink for $0.75.

Dont recall a specific dollar meal, but that could be me.  About the same time, KFC had the 99 center, which was 2 pieces, fries and coleslaw. No drink at that price.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]

where are all the fat people?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Ah, the before time.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ah, the before time.

View Quote

If you mean the "before the internet" time, I agree.  It was better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Now in 2023 at Wendy's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGbDwtLk3c
View Quote

I use to really like Wendy's food but the last two times I've tried a burger (2 different locations) it was the worst shit I've ever tasted.  Even the onions, tomatoes, and lettuce did not taste right.  I rarely if ever eat fast food now but when I do it's Sonic.  I don't know if it's nationwide or just local but our Sonics have really stepped up their game and are putting out some phenomenal food!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.

And everyone quit smoking.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I quit after 45 years of pk a day and have gained 45 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

80s McD's had real food as ingredients

americans were gulping down sugar, not "high fructose corn syrup"....which is in everything and makes u fat and sick
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#43]
1984 McDonalds? Expected James Huberty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love your name and avatar!  Slowpoke was the best.  

Also, your momma is so fat she changed the average obesity level for the entire nation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Peak McDonalds right there, boys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did pretty much the same in 2021.  I've gained thirty pounds.  Not really eating more my metabolism just slammed on the brakes.  

I actually COULD be eating more.  Not sure about it.  Sometimes I want to start puffing again just so I could fit into my clothes again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all. I just think those are not the only causes. Lab animals that were fed the same amount of calories are fatter now and that shouldn't be possible. Livestock get fatter from antibiotics in their feed even though the amount of calories remains the same. That's why they feed them antibiotics. It's good for a 10% gain in weight.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2010.1890
View Quote

Yes the studies make you wonder, of course I couldn't go through the details, even if I could I might not understand anyway, but they draw no conclusion as to the reasons. As mentioned, animals that are around humans(pets, "free"rats) could clearly be larger due to our own abundance of food. We eat better and so do they. Livestock also benefit from us feeding them, easy financial times may lead to feeding them better, modifying their food to make them bigger etc.
As far a lab rats being fed the same, how accurate were calorie measurements decades ago compared to today, what was the quality of their food decades ago compared to today, how much better or worse or carefully controlled were the lab methods decades ago, has the rat sample changed genetically after 50-60 generations?

The bottom line is Humans are more evolved than animals, we can choose what and how much we eat. We don't have to be controlled by our urges.
No matter the environmental influences or properties of the food we eat it won't make us fat if we only eat what we need. It is impossible to get out more energy than put in. You cannot get 125 calories out of 100 calories.

If hormones or pollutants or activity levels are causing us to burn fewer calories then we need to consume fewer calories. It isn't a slippery slope to eating nothing and still getting fat.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Something just occurred to me.  We have become a society of "foodies".  Everything revolves around it.  Everyone is into being their own personal gourmet chef.  You see it in the BBQ/food threads here.  Food consumes a large part of people's lives now.  I may be wrong but I don't remember it being like that as a kid.  You for the most part ate to live, not lived to eat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

80s were the pinnacle of America.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I work with foreigners daily. I always ask them what some of the differences are between the US and their (usually poorer) thinner country. Main comments.

1. Sugar/HFCS in everything even things that aren’t sweet to the taste. Baked goods and candies are sweeter in US.

2. Portion sizes and packaging sizes are much larger. Food is very cheap in US and you get a lot! Many remarks on how big the donuts and pastries are in US.

3. Emphasis on processed foods. Everything in US is available pre-made usually with added HFCS. They have to make food from raw ingredients. They shop daily we make one big shopping trip a week. Our refrigerators are big!

4. Availability of food. Fast food is on every corner. It’s available from early to late if not 24/7. It’s cheap and it’s everywhere. Giant grocery stores open 24/7.

5. Smoking is more socially acceptable and common outside the US. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant. 30% of Americans smoking in 1985. It’s around 12% today.
View Quote

There’s other things too based on how we work and how many work.
But HFCS is probably the single most worst thing as far as food

How we work has changed a huge amount in those forty years
Emails and sitting at a desk doing our work, not having to run aroun to various buildings to collect info.  Now it can be accessed remotely never having to leave your desk.  
Also lots more automation now for all sorts of work and fewer people needed to get most jobs done.  So now we have lots more people under or not employed.   Many by the own choosing.   Because why not?   They’re getting your money that was taken from the product of your work.  How nice of the give to be so generous with your money.
Entertainment has changed a huge amount too.   Video / computer games, the web keeps people entertained instead of making their own
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top