Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
1985 New Coke came out which initiated the HFCS switch over. By 1992 all Coke bottlers in the US had converted over from sugar to HFCS.

If you want to see the difference ask a diabetic what their pancreas response (glucose) is while monitoring before during and after metabolizing a regular HFCS Coke vs a Mexican (sugar cane) Coke.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I see nobody mentioned it yet: cash only. No swiping debit or credit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]
used to eat FIVE $.29 hamburgers w/ fries after HS football practice growing up.  crazy

and i was involved in TWO brawls with 'persons of color' at McDonalds growing up.  one in Fayetteville NC (1983) and one in Richmond VA (1987).  

so yeah -- it was not uniformly 'more peaceful' back then.  feral youths existed in the shittier neighborhoods...
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Todays McDonalds....

Crazy Mcdonalds Fight Must Watch!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That struck me too. WTF happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?

Cigarettes
Cocaine
Dancing all night or
Fucking all night if you got lucky
Played league softball
Golf
Bowling
Fishing every weekend
Hunting in fall
Working my ass off to pay for the above, we were always going.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?

Cigarettes
Cocaine
Dancing all night or
Fucking all night if you got lucky
Played league softball
Golf
Bowling
Fishing every weekend
Hunting in fall
Working my ass off to pay for the above, we were always going.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

Comparison of those prices (I had to guess at a few) adjusted for inflation for 2022 (187% increase):
@SWIRE

Item    1984    2022
Bacon egg and cheese biscuit    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage biscuit    $0.89    $2.51
Big breakfast sausage etc    $1.85    $5.22
Scrambled eggs and biscuit    $1.05    $2.96
Hot cakes and sausage    $1.40    $3.95
Hot cakes    $0.87    $2.45
Egg mcmuffin    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin with egg    $1.25    $3.53
Sausage Mcmuffin    $0.87    $2.45
Hash Browns    $0.38    $1.07
danish    $0.85    $2.40
Chicken mcnuggets 6 pieces    $1.42    $4.00
Chicken mcnuggets 9 pieces    $2.03    $5.72
Chicken mcnuggets 20 pieces    $4.15    $11.70
Big Mac    $1.48    $4.17
Quarter Pounder    $1.43    $4.03
Royale with Cheese    $1.60    $4.51
Filet-O-Fish    $1.25    $3.53
Cheeseburger    $0.75    $2.12
Hamburger    $0.60    $1.69
French Fries    $0.67    $1.89
French Fries Large    $0.83    $2.34
Double Cheeseburger    $1.52    $4.29
Drink Small    $0.57    $1.61
Drink Med    $0.67    $1.89
Drink Large    $0.77    $2.17
Milkshakes    $0.75    $2.12
Milk    $0.45    $1.27
Florida Orange Juice    $0.45    $1.27
Coffee    $0.35    $0.99
Coffee Large    $0.45    $1.27
Hot Apple Pie    $0.62    $1.75
Sundaes    $0.60    $1.69
Cone Soft Serve    $0.50    $1.41
Mcdonaldland Cookies    $0.50    $1.41
Chocolatey Chip Cookies    $0.55    $1.55
Gift Certificate    $0.50    $1.41

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The beef tallow is a real thing they kept quiet
It pissed off customers in India when it came out
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
metal ashtrays!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Remote controls weren't as common nor was cable TV and let's not forget PCs and video game consoles were pretty new too.  No one has to move to do anything now.
View Quote

1984 was when Atari was killing the game market. Cable TV was hugely popular. Remote Controlz were common as heck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

High Fructose Corn Syrup, for one.  They put that stuff in almost everything.  Plus a general shift to high-carbohydrate foodstuffs.

Lots of seed oils in the food chain now, too.  Some of them are estrogenic, which has various side effects for men.
View Quote

The "Supersize " was the drink and the fries- HFCS and carbs ,  then the cooking oil .
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That bullshit food pyramid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bullshit food pyramid
Oh fuck I forgot that one, no it isn't The Fucking Food Pyramid either! The Food Pyramid didn't make the population fatter. First of all fat fucks are not looking at or following the food pyramid. Secondly, you could follow the food pyramid 100% and be healthy and lean. There is nothing wrong with the food pyramid unless you are an anti-carb cultist.

Following the food pyramid serving recommendations and you can be at 2050 calories or less* with enough protein to maintain about 160lb of LEAN MASS(not including body fat weight). The population isn't getting fat from 2k cals.

*Following Food pyramid serving suggestions
12oz chicken breasts
10oz broccoli
12oz white rice
4 slices rye bread
1oz butter
16 oz milk(skim)
1.5 cups Corn Flakes
1lb of Apples

I don't give a fuck about the food pyramid. My issue is that we are happy to blame the real cause of a problem unless, for some unknown reason, it involves the obese population, then it's all about playing the victim card. "Oh no I'm a victim of big food and big gov recommendations, recommendations I never follow for anything else but dietary advice!!"

If you are fat it's your fault, not your food's fault.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Remember the little silver ash trays? lol
View Quote

My buddies dad always stole them. We used to go over his house and they were everywhere. Overflowing with butts of course.

He also had “Bud Man” on his bug shield of his 82 Chevy. I thought it was for beer until he got busted for selling weed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Listen, actually taking personal responsibility for your actions is hard...it's easier to blame others.

Food manufacturers are required to list ingredients...yet people keep buying that shit while complaining about it.

Everyone knows why you get fat, it's not any kind of new discovery, we've known for centuries that excess eating makes you heavier...but people keep doing it.

Everyone knows that smoking and drinking is bad for you too, but people keep doing that. For the most part, people don't care that something is bad for them as long as those dopamine receptors keep getting satisfied.
View Quote
I grew up in the 80s. People ate the same way they do now. I ate junk food whenever I could get it, same for fast food and soda. No one I knew then was a fat pig like most people are today. I'd never heard of type 2 diabetes. I had one teacher that was type 1. At the time I thought that was the only type. Every older person I used to work recently with was type 2. I'm sure the lack of activity and bad diet play a role, but they aren't the only causes. Even lab animals are fatter now. How do you explain that? They eat a strictly controlled diet, so they should be the same weight now as they were years back. I'm about 10 lbs over my weight out of basic training, so I'm not fat and trying to make excuses for my diet. What gets me is even the elementary schools kids are pigs now. We had maybe 1 kid in elementary school that was fat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I miss the cigarette smoke and little tin ashtrays.
View Quote

Some were glass. I have a couple for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I had some cheese sticks from Arby's yesterday and the second ingredient on the marinara sauce was HFCS.

WTF is that in marinara for?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QFT.

Pre-1990 fries were awesome and more addictive
than crack cocaine.  
View Quote

I recently stopped at some backwoods burger joint and they were using whatever fry oil McD's used back in the day. Yes, the fries were delicious (haven't had that in awhile) and the taste took me back to about 1987 instantly.

I miss Hardee's old 'large' french fries the most, and don't enjoy french fries from anywhere now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I worked at an Arby's in the late 80s as a teen.  Our large fries were 3 ounces for a regular,  and 4 for a large. I always filled the packages to keep customers happy, which would have weighed a little more. However those portions would be considered pathetic today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wore a shirt, slacks and a tie to my white collar office job last week. Everyone else was wearing polo shirts, jeans or button down flannel type shirts and chinos. Several people asked me if I had an interview somewhere else. In 1985 no one would have thought it unusual to be “dressed up”. It would have been the norm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!

The one near me had a big booth for bday parties.

The thing that strikes me the most about that video is how dressed up people were.  Both the employees and the public.

I haven’t been to one in a few years and even then it was drive through, but McDonald’s employees have usually been very friendly and positive to the ones I went to.  Wendy's was always a shit show.  Show me that video from the 80s.  The one near me had some work release looking forearm tatted dudes working there back then.  And they always got the order wrong.

I wore a shirt, slacks and a tie to my white collar office job last week. Everyone else was wearing polo shirts, jeans or button down flannel type shirts and chinos. Several people asked me if I had an interview somewhere else. In 1985 no one would have thought it unusual to be “dressed up”. It would have been the norm.

It's a shame that people have forgotten that polo shirts are "dressing down", for when you might get dirty, or be out in the sun, or need to be around manufacturing equipment or something where a tie and long sleeves are a significant safety risk.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

No 3+ inch fingernails!!  
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#24]
After graduating high school, the McDonalds Parking lot was my buddies and I’s hang out.

Many nights hanging out waiting for the girls to get off and head out to the four wheeling spot.

We bought the beer, they brought all the leftover food.

Party time!

Did you know you can fit 13 teenagers in a 1965 Jeep Wagoneer?

ETA: 1980ish
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

High fructose corn syrup
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#26]
No fat people, no brawls because someone had a hair weave pulled., and no gay flags.
These were the great days, not the good ole days.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!
View Quote

Same same. Pizza Hutt was the best place to have or go to a party though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember them as having a sunken pit in the center
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I miss the styrofoam containers
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still love me a Big Mac.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He was serious. I worked there in the late 80's.
Everything on every item had to go in a particular order.
You want a Big Mac with ketchup? No fucking way. Impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid in the 80s, I took a tour of a McDonald’s restaurant.

I asked the guy working there how come the hamburgers were so good.

He told me it was because of the order that they put the stuff on the burger.

I believed that for many many years lol.

He was serious. I worked there in the late 80's.
Everything on every item had to go in a particular order.
You want a Big Mac with ketchup? No fucking way. Impossible.

Its so if you order a big mac in LA or NY it'll look and supposed to taste the same.
That was the gimmick of the whole thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss the cigarette smoke and little tin ashtrays.

I forgot about those.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548369/8441E388-BD72-4D91-AEA1-9E4F24D25A97_jpe-2706575.JPG
Eta, apparently they had glass ones too but I don’t recall ever seeing these.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548369/D9506A05-5787-48E0-B9C4-48F6EBBF72F7_jpe-2706581.JPG

Those take me back...
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1985 New Coke came out which initiated the HFCS switch over. By 1992 all Coke bottlers in the US had converted over from sugar to HFCS.

If you want to see the difference ask a diabetic what their pancreas response (glucose) is while monitoring before during and after metabolizing a regular HFCS Coke vs a Mexican (sugar cane) Coke.
View Quote

No offense but there is no way you can blame the obesity epidemic on "HFCS" or any other food ingredient.  To do so is being intellectually lazy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All likely contributors, as is a far more sedentary lifestyle.

It's not that we've all become lazier for some reason. There's just so much more to stimulate us while we're sitting still.

When I was a kid, you couldn't keep us inside, but it wasn't because we knew exercise was good for us. It was because it was insanely boring inside. We had three TV channels and there was garbage on them. There were no computers, mobile devices, or Internet connecting them. So we were outside, riding bikes, hanging out in the woods, playing some sort of neighborhood pickup game, or just generally getting into trouble. And there wasn't an endless supply of food out there to cram down our gobs while we were doing it.

I'm not a Luddite. Those devices and the internet have provided so many fantastic advantages for us, but of course there are downsides. They are insanely addictive. It's a constant drip drip of dopamine. If I was born today, I suspect I would not end up being the bean pole I've been most of my life.
View Quote

It all started with the Atari 2600.  It was the one that brought laziness to the masses.  "Have You Played Atari Today?".
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I grew up in the 80s. People ate the same way they do now. I ate junk food whenever I could get it, same for fast food and soda. No one I knew then was a fat pig like most people are today. I'd never heard of type 2 diabetes. I had one teacher that was type 1. At the time I thought that was the only type. Every older person I used to work recently with was type 2. I'm sure the lack of activity and bad diet play a role, but they aren't the only causes. Even lab animals are fatter now. How do you explain that? They eat a strictly controlled diet, so they should be the same weight now as they were years back. I'm about 10 lbs over my weight out of basic training, so I'm not fat and trying to make excuses for my diet. What gets me is even the elementary schools kids are pigs now. We had maybe 1 kid in elementary school that was fat.
View Quote
Your anecdote on calorie intake isn't very controlled or data rich.

Lab animals have no control over their diet, humans do and parents of children have control of the child's diet and activity.
I was born in 1971 in spite of the claims above by another poster, no video games were not popular, not every kid had a console, zero kids had a computer. Kids were outside doing shit all the time, if we wanted to play video games we rode our bike to the arcade and played for as long as a few dollars worth of quarters lasted then back to riding bikes, we didn't play video games for hours everyday.

Either way none of that shit matters, we don't base our meal type or sizes on what they ate in 1985, we don't need to.
Too much food is the problem PERIOD.
To be very generic, so what if 5 oz of food was 150 calories in 1985 and now it's 200 calories, EAT LESS.
So what if X food causes a decrease in diet-induced thermogenesis, EAT LESS.
So what if X food cause cravings, have some fucking will power, avoid those or fight the craving.
So what if food now is extra delicious, have some fucking will power.

If all these older people you worked with ate less of the same foods and had low body fat there would be damn few if any that had type 2 beetus.

If you want to drive a steady 65 mph down the road you adjust the energy input by adding or reducing fuel/air to the engine. Yep, 10 miles back you may have needed more or less throttle to go the same speed, conditions are different now, you don't question it, you adjust accordingly and drive on. If you notice you're going 80 you reduce the energy input. Maintaining a body fat % is the same thing and just as simple.
If you are getting fat on 2000cals, reduce them, who gives a fuck if some online calculator said your BMR alone was 2000cals it was wrong, who cares if the Dr. or dietitian (or Gov.) said you can have 2300cals they were wrong or your calorie count is wrong. Adjust energy until your fat drops, simple as that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Smoking in a McDonalds
View Quote

Those little aluminum ash trays were cool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, actually taking personal responsibility for your actions is hard...it's easier to blame others.

Food manufacturers are required to list ingredients...yet people keep buying that shit while complaining about it.

Everyone knows why you get fat, it's not any kind of new discovery, we've known for centuries that excess eating makes you heavier...but people keep doing it.

Everyone knows that smoking and drinking is bad for you too, but people keep doing that. For the most part, people don't care that something is bad for them as long as those dopamine receptors keep getting satisfied.

Did your parents give a constant supply of crackers and juice for your first 5-6 years?

I was born in the 80's and mine sure as hell didn't. You get breakfast, then you got lunch later. I also would attack junk food if I could find it, but it wasn't as available, and I was often too busy playing. We were outside non stop most days. Video games were for the evening when it got too dark or cold.

So many parents now give their kids snacks all day long, they walk around with containers full of goldfish and sippy cups full of juice the whole time they are awake.

This trains them to eat like cattle, it's a habit that is not easily broken.

I have a nephew and two nieces that were raised that way, and guess what, they are fat, and still have the eating habits of a fat person. My own kids are allowed an occasional snack, but otherwise have to eat at meal time, so far they are bean poles like I was.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Of course neither part 1 or part 2 go into where the real action center, Behind the bin!

In that place, in that time, in that uniform, I was the ambidextrous god of the 10:1 grill.  If volume dictated and I could pick my prep table and bun toaster guys, and turn down one zone on the quarter grill to 350, I could maintain a 12 burger, 12 Mac sear lay until the bin runner cried for mama.

That's a bit over triple what the O&P book said was possible. And yes, still maintaining the expected quality.

Three for free, your mom got her name for what she'd do with us in the crew room.  Yes, we'd wash our hands afterward before returning to the grill.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Those were good. The styrofoam kept the burgers hot longer than the paper of today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

QFT.

Pre-1990 fries were awesome and more addictive
than crack cocaine.  
View Quote

Formula 47 shortening was mostly vegetable oil, but had beef tallow added, and was the best... Unless it was time to swap it out.  You had to punch it down into the vat so there were no big air gaps between it and the vat walls.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laziness. Entertainment became all to easy to obtain. Cable TV. Videogame consoles, etc were exploding in popularity. Less and less motivation for folks to get  out but instead sit at home and rot.

Back then you still saw packs of kids playing outside and riding bikes all.over town. A very rare sight now if ever seen.

This kids grew up lazy and inactive and are now adults creating more of the same.  Blaming food is as restarted blaming guns for violence.The right apparently loves to blame everything but the person as well.

I grew up with sugary breakfasts and snacks and none of us were fat but maybe 3 kids in the entire school. Because we were always out about about being active.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Remote controls weren't as common nor was cable TV and let's not forget PCs and video game consoles were pretty new too.  No one has to move to do anything now.
View Quote

This has most to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#43]

Maybe Jason Alexander will be up for doing the ad again.

Jason Alexander in 1985 McDonald's Ad
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Laziness. Entertainment became all to easy to obtain. Cable TV. Videogame consoles, etc were exploding in popularity. Less and less motivation for folks to get  out but instead sit at home and rot.

Back then you still saw packs of kids playing outside and riding bikes all.over town. A very rare sight now if ever seen.

This kids grew up lazy and inactive and are now adults creating more of the same.  Blaming food is as restarted blaming guns for violence.

I grew up with sugary breakfasts and snacks and none of us were fat but maybe 3 kids in the entire school. Because we were always out about about being active.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This kids grew up lazy and inactive and are now adults creating more of the same.  Blaming food is as restarted blaming guns for violence.

I just told my wife last night about something that happened on a college job we did this summer.

We had a bunch of sidewalks closed, you could still get around while staying on the sidewalk, but some people decided to just straight line it and go offroad.

One kid that had apparently never been off a sidewalk in his entire life made it about 20 feet before eating it big time because the terrain was slightly uneven. He bit it hard, and then had a hell of a time standing back up. very soft looking boy.

At 18 we used to just jump off of shit for fun and tuck and roll...or eat shit and laugh.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lab animals have no control over their diet, humans do and parents of children have control of the child's diet and activity.
I was born in 1971 in spite of the claims above by another poster, no video games were not popular, not every kid had a console, zero kids had a computer. Kids were outside doing shit all the time, if we wanted to play video games we rode our bike to the arcade and played for as long as a few dollars worth of quarters lasted then back to riding bikes, we didn't play video games for hours everyday.

Either way none of that shit matters, we don't base our meal type or sizes on what they ate in 1985, we don't need to.
To be very generic, so what if 5 oz of food was 150 calories in 1985 and now it's 200 calories, EAT LESS.
So what if X food cause cravings, have some fucking will power, avoid those or fight the craving.

If all these older people you worked with ate less of the same foods and had low body fat there would be damn few if any that had type 2 beetus.

If you want to drive a steady 65 mph down the road you adjust the energy input by adding or reducing fuel/air to the engine. Yep, 10 miles back you may have needed more or less throttle to go the same speed, conditions are different now, you don't question it, you adjust accordingly and drive on. If you notice you're going 80 you reduce the energy input. Maintaining a body fat % is the same thing and just as simple.
If you are getting fat on 2000cals, reduce them, who gives a fuck if some online calculator said your BMR alone was 2000cals it was wrong, who cares if the Dr. or dietitian (or Gov.) said you can have 2300cals they were wrong or your calorie count is wrong. Adjust energy until your fat drops, simple as that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another problem society could theoretically lay squarely on boomer's shoulders.  Their post-depression parents swore they would never go hungry again and also pushed the "clean your plate, no matter how much is on it" agenda.  The boomers could have briken this cycle but they chose not to.  Combine that with the increasing sedentary lifestyle and nicotine use extinction and you have the perfect storm for an obese populace.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Minimum wage was $3.35 in 1984. Those people are giving great service for little.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#47]
My buddy says:

"For those who don't accurately remember, the chicken nuggets back then were nasty, if you bothered to look inside them. They were made of a mixture of tiny squares of dark and white waste  meat that was mechanical separated and processed, then glued together in a nugget shape and then breaded & frozen, to be fried in shortening at the restaurant.

The modern nuggets are at least made from real cuts of meat, even though they are probably full of chemicals like growth hormones and plumped up with salt water and whatever else. Not sure when growth hormones were allowed in the feed, but I'm sure McDonald's used and uses the cheapest meat they can get, even in the 1980s."
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all. I just think those are not the only causes. Lab animals that were fed the same amount of calories are fatter now and that shouldn't be possible. Livestock get fatter from antibiotics in their feed even though the amount of calories remains the same. That's why they feed them antibiotics. It's good for a 10% gain in weight.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2010.1890
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

- Ghost Dog
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age" is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

- Ghost Dog

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
McDonalds hasn't changed. Society has….by purpose and design.  Savagery requires response mechanisms….the trick is to use the response against your political opponents while nurturing more savagery.
View Quote

Well observed
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top