BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

And there are plenty of people working the counter.  Amazing.  We have lost a lot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

You're probably staring at it in your hand..
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

QFT.

Pre-1990 fries were awesome and more addictive
than crack cocaine.  
View Quote

The secret is lard.

A buddy owns a restaurant here in my part of TN and anything fired gets fried in good lard. Folks praise that shit all the time.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is so much more civilized. Why?
View Quote

Because you get more of what you subsidize and less of what you actively discourage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also Mc Donald's in 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpL8HfWiiY
View Quote

A little depressing for a nostalgia thread.

Quoted:

Fake news. Last year I saw a kid in McDonald's with an ice cream.
I doubt he brought it from home.
View Quote

Not fake news.  Often true that the machines are down.

Quoted:

Prior to that, McDonald's didn't allow you to order more food.
View Quote

I've NEVER been to a Mcdonald's that didn't allow me to order more,
before or after 1984.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?
View Quote

heavy use of high fructose corn syrup in everything
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit, made it to page 2 of a McD thread without some ashhole posting the copy pasta. Truly, I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Absolutely brings back memories!

I haven't had Micky D's in years .. the damn food got to be horrible.  But for some reason, I'd kill for a Big Mac right now!
View Quote

I got one the other day out of the blue... It was underwhelming
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I miss the cigarette smoke and little tin ashtrays.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The food pyramid was introduced!!!111!!Ones!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Your link thinks I'm a robot.

After seven CAPTCHA failures I think it's right.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

You dont recall "parts is parts" about the chicken nuggets?
That was a Wendy's attack add.    Now Wendy's has the same sort of nuggets, too.  And the quality of their chicken fillet on the sandwich that was about that ad campaign has diminished too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

No feral children running around acting like little assholes either.

The person taking your order was likely a student and spoke English.

No panhandling in the parking lot.

No meth heads trashing the restroom.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The one near me had a big booth for bday parties.

The thing that strikes me the most about that video is how dressed up people were.  Both the employees and the public.

I haven’t been to one in a few years and even then it was drive through, but McDonald’s employees have usually been very friendly and positive to the ones I went to.  Wendy's was always a shit show.  Show me that video from the 80s.  The one near me had some work release looking forearm tatted dudes working there back then.  And they always got the order wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!

The one near me had a big booth for bday parties.

The thing that strikes me the most about that video is how dressed up people were.  Both the employees and the public.

I haven’t been to one in a few years and even then it was drive through, but McDonald’s employees have usually been very friendly and positive to the ones I went to.  Wendy's was always a shit show.  Show me that video from the 80s.  The one near me had some work release looking forearm tatted dudes working there back then.  And they always got the order wrong.

I wore a shirt, slacks and a tie to my white collar office job last week. Everyone else was wearing polo shirts, jeans or button down flannel type shirts and chinos. Several people asked me if I had an interview somewhere else. In 1985 no one would have thought it unusual to be “dressed up”. It would have been the norm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The secret is lard.

A buddy owns a restaurant here in my part of TN and anything fired gets fried in good lard. Folks praise that shit all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.

than crack cocaine.  

The secret is lard.

Beef tallow for McDonald’s. Lard is from pigs. Lard is good for biscuits and pie crusts or anything you’d fry in bacon drippings. Tallow is better for deep frying as it has a slightly higher smoke point than lard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I checked the local menu in my city and a 10 piece McNuggets is $6.23. BigMac combo is $11.96.
View Quote

You can get a pretty good large pepperoni pizza for less
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work with foreigners daily. I always ask them what some of the differences are between the US and their (usually poorer) thinner country. Main comments.

1. Sugar/HFCS in everything even things that aren’t sweet to the taste. Baked goods and candies are sweeter in US.

2. Portion sizes and packaging sizes are much larger. Food is very cheap in US and you get a lot! Many remarks on how big the donuts and pastries are in US.

3. Emphasis on processed foods. Everything in US is available pre-made usually with added HFCS. They have to make food from raw ingredients. They shop daily we make one big shopping trip a week. Our refrigerators are big!

4. Availability of food. Fast food is on every corner. It’s available from early to late if not 24/7. It’s cheap and it’s everywhere. Giant grocery stores open 24/7.

5. Smoking is more socially acceptable and common outside the US. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant. 30% of Americans smoking in 1985. It’s around 12% today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was back when you got your ass kicked or shamed
To the point you wouldn't come out in public if you were fat, had blue hair, dressed like a women, or were gay. As it should be.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch how people eat some time. It's all day long, and non stop.

Candy bowls every where, juice or sweetened coffee all day. Everyone has an IV of calories going all day long, and nobody moves around.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phones don't make people fat, the cookies they eat while playing on them does.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smoking in a McDonalds
View Quote

Remember the little silver ash trays? lol
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a difficult time thinking of any McDonald's as being a restaurant.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No worldstar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I clicked the link, and it asked me to type in characters.  Is this a new thing?    Is it youtube, or arfcom?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Thankfully all that's in the past huh?

Imagine having to talk the person you're eating lunch with rather than play on your phone?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a difficult time thinking of any McDonald's as being a restaurant.

View Quote

When I was a kid my cousins and their parents would always go out to eat on Friday night, that was their "restaurant night"

There was 3 kids, so each week was a different kids turn to choose where they were going, and then the parents got to pick on week 4 each month.

It could have been a pizza place, or a sit down place, or Taco Bell, it was up to whoever was picking.

Even if it was fast food, they would still go in and sit down and eat, and I know I'm looking at it through the lens of time and memory, but it didn't seem like the food was nearly as bad as it is now. Not premium quality of course, but still palatable.

Somewhere in the early 2000's it seemed like fast food started a rapid downhill slide, and that's saying something because it was already at the bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:QFT.

than crack cocaine.  
View Quote

It was the PCPs they used to put into the potato slurry.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I clicked the link, and it asked me to type in characters.  Is this a new thing?    Is it youtube, or arfcom?
View Quote

+1 and I couldn't beat the CHAPTA to save my life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Holy nostalgia. I’m happy to have live during that time, seems like another universe now
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Both of my parents smoked. Remember those little Mcdonalds aluminum ashtrays. Smoking was everywhere. Ashtrays in the mall, and at the end of isles in the grocery store. I still love McDonald's.  But not at $10 for a #1. I probably eat at McDonald's about once every 3 or 4 months.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Twas a more civilized era...
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#33]
San Ysidro left quite a mark.

I was stationed at NTC San Diego back in '84.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

High Fructose Corn Syrup, for one.  They put that stuff in almost everything.  Plus a general shift to high-carbohydrate foodstuffs.

Lots of seed oils in the food chain now, too.  Some of them are estrogenic, which has various side effects for men.
View Quote
lol
Wow you listen to all the chiropractors and dentists and psychologists on youtube don't you. They use their "Dr." to make it seem like they're an expert to the clowns that follow them. In reality they cherry pick or misinterpret studies to support the narrative they are pushing and it gets repeated over and over by those too lazy to question it.

HFCS, sugar, carbs, seed oils and estrogen are not the reason the population is getting fatter. The population has increased it's calorie intake and that is making the population fatter. It is 100% the fault of the fat individual, not the food.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Or just watch the movie Mac & Me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
lol
Wow you listen to all the chiropractors and dentists and psychologists on youtube don't you. They use their "Dr." to make it seem like they're an expert to the clowns that follow them. In reality they cherry pick or misinterpret studies to support the narrative they are pushing and it gets repeated over and over by those too lazy to question it.

HFCS, sugar, carbs, seed oils and estrogen are not the reason the population is getting fatter. The population has increased it's calorie intake and that is making the population fatter. It is 100% the fault of the fat individual, not the food.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High Fructose Corn Syrup, for one.  They put that stuff in almost everything.  Plus a general shift to high-carbohydrate foodstuffs.

Lots of seed oils in the food chain now, too.  Some of them are estrogenic, which has various side effects for men.
lol

Listen, actually taking personal responsibility for your actions is hard...it's easier to blame others.

Food manufacturers are required to list ingredients...yet people keep buying that shit while complaining about it.

Everyone knows why you get fat, it's not any kind of new discovery, we've known for centuries that excess eating makes you heavier...but people keep doing it.

Everyone knows that smoking and drinking is bad for you too, but people keep doing that. For the most part, people don't care that something is bad for them as long as those dopamine receptors keep getting satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I miss the cigarette smoke and little tin ashtrays.
View Quote

I forgot about those.
Attachment Attached File

Eta, apparently they had glass ones too but I don’t recall ever seeing these.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lifestyle.

Food quality and quantity.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Growth hormones in commercial beef.
Genetically modified fruits and vegetables. Antibiotics and steroids used in all commercial livestock.
It's not as much the fault of people's eating habits as a lot of people think. The FDA is to blame for the lions share of the obesity problem in the United States. I'm not saying it is all foods fault because a lot of people are just lazy but the bulk of the problem is what we eat more than how much we eat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corn syrup is my uneducated guess.

I think this is a big part of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Genetically modified fruits and vegetables. Antibiotics and steroids used in all commercial livestock.
It's not as much the fault of people's eating habits as a lot of people think. The FDA is to blame for the lions share of the obesity problem in the United States. I'm not saying it is all foods fault because a lot of people are just lazy but the bulk of the problem is what we eat more than how much we eat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS, except the "what we eat part".

People no longer make supper from scratch, at least not nearly as many as in the past.

Way easier to unwrap and heat.

This is entirely the choice of the consumer. I made meatballs (from scratch, with beef that I bought local) and rice pilaf last night. Took some actual planning and effort, but it wasn't difficult by any stretch.

A large chunk of the population now if preparing the same meal would unfreeze their pre-bought meatballs, and then open a box of Uncle Ben's and whip the meal up in about 15 minutes, then enjoy some sort of sweet desert immediately following.

I understand it from time to time, life gets busy, but we've adopted that as the new way it's done. People will continue to buy food with ingredients they wouldn't otherwise add themselves, and they know it, but do it anyway, because it's easier.

Even that though isn't the whole story by any stretch, quantity of food is the killer. Sweet drinks and snacks are a plague, people have been conditioned for a few generations now that "not full" is the same as "hungry", and can't possibly stand the discomfort of not being full..so they snack all day long.

Those little 50-100 calories snacks stack up so fast, especially if you are sedentary and only need like 1000-1500 calories a day to maintain your goal weight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Where are the people fighting and jumping over the counter?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

before or after 1984.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prior to that, McDonald's didn't allow you to order more food.

before or after 1984.

No shit
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#44]
That’s an incredible look back. I only barely remember the early 90’s timeframe; but have some wonderful memories of time with my grandfather in McDonalds. He loved their apple pies, so we’d often visit McD’s on road trips or after a ball game.

I would love to have the flavor and experience I remember again; but I haven’t been to a McDonalds in many years and don’t expect I ever will again.

At this point Mrs DC2 and I eat out perhaps 5 times a year, and I cook from scratch 6 nights a week at least. Occasionally after a long day we’ll throw in a frozen pizza or similar convenience item.

ETA, I’m 6’1 and 170, she’s 5’4 and 110. I was a fat sack of lard earlier in life, and I will never, ever go back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#45]
The 80s were an awesome time to live. I'm not sure 40 years from now the same will be said about today.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#46]
It's morning again in America

let's grab a sausage biscuit for 89 cents!
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That struck me too. WTF happened?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Smoking in a McDonalds
View Quote

I remember my local McDonald’s having a smoking section in 1997.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!
View Quote

Me, too. My local one had a basement dining area reserved strictly for parties.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The anti-WorldStar video.
View Quote

That stuck out to me too.  It's all people, acting like decent people.  That's one thing that really stuck out as different from today.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top