User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All that power and cant out do a honda with a few thousand dollars of add ons. My brother purchased a old honda civic for $500. Swapped the motor with a accura motor and a few add ons. total price when done, $6000 and he has been beating lambos, hell cats and an str10. all that money and a hell cat cant beat a civic at 1/4 the cost.
View Quote
Bullshit.

My first job out of high school making decent money, I poured nearly all my savings into a 94 Integra.  Went balls to the wall.  Turbo kit w/tubular manifold, FMIC, bigger injectors, fuel pump, intake manifold, TB, etc.  Full on Hondata ECU with some pro dyno tuning time.

I was right around $5k in parts alone, and was only making mid 300whp.  Anything more I'd of had to tear into the block and spring for all forged internals.  Not to mention new axles, clutch, as well as some other shit if I planned on running some really sticky rubber, which is absolutely needed if you want to put all that power to the ground and go some place.

Your brother either has a junker that might make a pass or two in the 1/4 before grenading something, or you're FOS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The 1976 Corvette's base engine was rated at 165 HP.  It was a dark time in America.  

On a more positive note, the 2017 Corvette base engine is rated at 455 HP and optional engines are up to 650 HP; let the good times roll!
View Quote
In 1980, I had a Pontiac Trans Am, red and with the 400cid Pontiac motor making 200 hp.  Black velour seats and THM 400 auto.  

At that time, it was the only US made production car to beat the Corvette in 0-60 and the QM times, IIRC.

I got a lot of tickets in that car.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol that is the most retarded comparison possible.

A worn out $500 shitbox with a hot engine in it isn't even comparable to a brand new car, full interior full of creature comforts, 707hp, and a factory warranty.

I get that your brother has a fast car, but there is alot more to a car than how fast it can go in a straight line.
View Quote
He's FOS.  You're looking at $10k+ in parts alone to put down enough power to even keep up with those cars he's mentioning.  Then there's the reliability issues associated with making 400-500whp with a 1.8L four cylinder engine and continually beating on it.

I knew a bunch of dudes in my younger days making that much power with Honda/Acura engines.  They rarely made it a night at the drag strip without something coming apart during a run.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a car running on the drag in Denton , Tx Honda model front wheel drive tearing it up pretty good .
Don't know much about except it makes a strange noise running down the strip .
I suspect it is the high RPM's
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a car running on the drag in Denton , Tx Honda model front wheel drive tearing it up pretty good .
View Quote
Does it sound like a weedwacker on steroids?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does it sound like a weedwacker on steroids?
View Quote
That would be the best way to describe it , yes
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Big(ish) turbos running high boost levels with dumped wastegates can sound a little funky.

That smell of race gas, though.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuel lines are half-inch .........

Wide open, it burns 1.5 gallons of fuel per minute on it's way to 199MPH ........

"Normal" driving gets you 20MPG.

Anybody know any similar stats on other factory muscle/sports cars?
View Quote

How's it do in crowds?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's crazy. Before this Stingray, I had a 2014 Silverado (GenV L83, 5.3L FlexFuel). With drag radials, headers and a tune I went a best 13.90 with a crappy 1.98 60'. That's as good as most of the hot muscle cars back in the day. In a truck that weighs almost 5,000 lbs.

Good times.
View Quote
You should try the new Duramax.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, no he didn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All that power and cant out do a honda with a few thousand dollars of add ons. My brother purchased a old honda civic for $500. Swapped the motor with a accura motor and a few add ons. total price when done, $6000 and he has been beating lambos, hell cats and an str10. all that money and a hell cat cant beat a civic at 1/4 the cost.
No, no he didn't.
Or he lives in every state. Because I've heard that same story more than a dozen times from Civic owners with their cute little teddy bears and dolls hanging off the tow hook.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, cars attract men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lambo driver went home and slayed loads of pussy. Old Honda civic driver just sucked dick
Lol, cars attract men.
a guy I know said when his wife bought a prius and he wound up driving it, chicks started hitting on him.  Mazda RX8? Nope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I kept trying to convince my sales guy to let me test drive the Hellcats they had. That was a non-starter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Gives me wood every time I mash the gas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You'd think he could buy it cheaper than that .................

With $0 down, the lease on a new $63K 2017 Hellcat is $677/mo for 36 mo ................
View Quote
Holy Shit.  I need to start working from home.  If I didn't have to commute, I could deal with the paltry mileage limitations.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wide open, it burns 1.5 gallons of fuel per minute on it's way to 199MPH ........
View Quote
Pffft...  I had a big block 72 Chevy Suburban ambulance that would burn that much on it's way to 75.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a lady in Bryan that races a mid '90s Honda hatch. It's pretty quick and she drives it to the track. Her husband told me that they run the stock transmission and replace them frequently, lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have good credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd think he could buy it cheaper than that .................

With $0 down, the lease on a new $63K 2017 Hellcat is $677/mo for 36 mo ................
If you have good credit.
i.e. make good decisions
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's just funny.  If your bro had a Honda beating hell cats and lambos the vids on you tube of these wins would be the most watched vids.

That is funny
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let me correct you there.  The 1969 Charger Daytona - ( in this case, a Charger 500 with the Daytona pieces bolted on - it had been a press car before being stolen and stripped.  When recovered, it was given to Chrysler Engineering and became the #88 high speed development mule for the Daytona stock car program....) - was the FIRST car of ANY KIND to exceed 200 mph on a closed course.
View Quote
LOL, no

Porsche 917s were over 240 mph down the Mulsanne in 1969.

Well over 250 in 1970.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top