Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Model 1
Sherluk
JT distributors
Oly arms
Pro ordnance
View Quote

Bought some parts from them just a few months ago.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Charter Arms used to make a great 44 special.
Kahr
AMT
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there another gun company that has allowed them self to become more irrelevant than colt?   Even through all the bankruptcy and corporate buy outs, Remington still makes a popular shotgun.   Colt seems like they're holding on for dear life.
View Quote

Not 100% Colt’s fault.

A scumbag Hedge-fund bought them, gutted them, ran up their debt and dumped them.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a A2 upper from Model 1 Sales, it was a wonky transaction because their prices are not updated on their site and honestly I wasn't sure they were really in business.  

But it was all smooth and had my upper in about a week and a half.  Shoots fantastic BTW.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Magpul still makes the best AR mags by far
View Quote

The best polymer mags in that price range.  Yes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Armalite.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
“Winchester” is just a trademarked name that is whored out by Olin Corp. to whomever wants to market guns or Chinese junk under that once prestigious name.
View Quote

Name ONE "Winchester" branded firearm that is made in China.  I bet you cannot.

That said, ever since the plant in New Haven closed down, the Winchester branded products are made by FN in S. Carolina, or by contract in Japan.   NOTHING firearm related with the Winchester name is make in China.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Name ONE "Winchester" branded firearm that is made in China.  I bet you cannot.

That said, ever since the plant in New Haven closed down, the Winchester branded products are made by FN in S. Carolina, or by contract in Japan.   NOTHING firearm related with the Winchester name is make in China.
View Quote

He didn't say it was, he said the cheap knives and other Winchester branded bullshit that isn't firearms or ammo is made in China.

And he's correct.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Detonics

Charter Arms

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're talking specifically the AR-15 market, the number one Company would be Olympic Arms.  There were the first to market with a shit ton of stuff.  Everyone else was sitting on the sidelines picking their ass.

I'll just name a few things they brought to production first.

1.  Flat top receivers.
2.  Hand guards that free floated the barrel.
3.  Nitride/cryo, whatever you want to call it.  They called it Max-Hard.
4.  Fluted AR barrels.
5.  Heavy/Bull AR barrels.
6.  Pistol caliber uppers other than 9mm.  Maybe they did 9mm before Colt.  I don't remember.
7.  6mm PPC in 1992 - basically a 6mm ARC
8.  Rifles/Pistols that did not need a buffer tube.
9.  Stainless steel AR barrels.

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can remember.

It wasn't until they had done all that, that everyone else jumped into the AR-15 market hanging on their coat tails.

And the 7.62x39 pistol ammo ban debacle with ATF?  The truth is, ATF was already planning to ban steel core 7.62x39 ammo based on the MARS AK-47 pistol that had come out prior to Oly releasing the AR pistol.
I got that info directly from an ATF agent that was all over the MARS pistol, prior to the Olympic release.  The ammo was going to be banned regardless if Oly had released that pistol or not.

Unfortunately, with all the good things they did to create the aftermarket AR-15 market, they ended up with quite a QC problem.  Innovation....they had it, when no one else did.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

ETA:  I believe years later, they were also the first to make a hybrid AR-15/AR10 that used an AR-10 bolt in the AR-15 platform to make the WSSM line.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those are good options in the AR market. Most of them used to be the affordable brands. Now they're more or less dead.

CMMG has done well to stay above those brands. They used to be more middle of the road, but they have some interesting 9mm ARs, caliber conversions and other options.
View Quote

CMMG’s move to the pick your color expensive space gun is an interesting one.

I hope it is working out for them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember Spikes being the hot shit around here when I joined.
View Quote

I used to peruse this site about 15 years ago and you'd have thought Spikes was the bees knees. I recently ordered a delta ring and it was Spikes brand and gave me a chuckle thinking back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Spikes. I used to see them all over this site. Not much anymore.

I still like spikes tho
View Quote

It's the dicks. They really should've pivoted on the logo. Arfcom ruined it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BCM doesn’t make anything that someone else doesn’t do better or less expensive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AMT
DPMS/CMMG
Colt/Stag (CMT)
BCM

BCM?

No.

BCM doesn’t make anything that someone else doesn’t do better or less expensive.

Their handguards are a pretty nice compromise between weight and rigidity.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
High Point
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Arsenal

They once had a great variety of AKs, but now all they offer is 3 overpriced models with QC issues and shit customer service to boot.

I know many will parrot Arsenal's claim that Arsenal Bulgaria is focusing on contracts... well guess what, Colt/FN/Sig/HK have shit tons of contracts and meet civilian demand just fine. I believe what's really happening is Arsenal USA is just dropping the ball and relying on artificial scarcity to sell their product instead of trying to dominate the market.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Para ordinance
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Arsenal

They once had a great variety of AKs, but now all they offer is 3 overpriced models with QC issues and shit customer service to boot.

I know many will parrot Arsenal's claim that Arsenal Bulgaria is focusing on contracts... well guess what, Colt/FN/Sig/HK have shit tons of contracts and meet civilian demand just fine. I believe what's really happening is Arsenal USA is just dropping the ball and relying on artificial scarcity to sell their product instead of trying to dominate the market.
View Quote

No idea on what Arsenal BG is doing with contracts or their production capacity, but we are seeing the majority of the 16 inch models in their catalog (they only make milled x39 and 5.56 guns these days).

https://www.arsenal-bg.com/c/assault-rifles-24
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spikes. I used to see them all over this site. Not much anymore.

I still like spikes tho

Didn't Spike's get the beatdown after calling out PSA about proof testing barrels or somesuch?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Olympic Arms
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Is Stag still around?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Hk, lol.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Magpul

Rock River

LMT

Bushmaster

Mega

Remington

Sako
View Quote

LMT Fucks
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Weatherby...

If I want a Howa, I just buy a Howa, and their flagship stuff is meh at best.
View Quote

I can't see how Weatherby stays in business. Their sales have to be a joke these days.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Armalite
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s true Colt hasn’t done anything innovative in a long time .  All older designs.   But then neither have any other gun manufacturers except maybe Sig over the last 25 years.    Mostly just cosmetic changes
View Quote

Seriously?  

The 5.7 isn't "innovative" to you? Or the B&H line? CZ Scorpion?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#30]
GWAC CAV15
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Speaking of Rock River this looks pretty cool.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/RBG_1000CG_R.png
View Quote

That’s a Zermatt action. If RRA is “making” that, they are doing nothing but assembling the same thing I put together in my basement and slapping their name on it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag was a wonderful Swedish gun manufacturer that was established in 1689.

They ceased the manufacture of firearms in 1972 and it was an absolute tragedy.

Here is a Husqvarna Model 1600 in 9.3x62mm that was manufactured in 1967. It is a controlled feed modified Mauser action and you can think of it as the Swedish Model 70.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Someone already posted it but I was going to say H&R.  Made a shit ton of guns for civvies as well as .mil (Reising SMG, Garand, FAL, M14, and M16A1).
View Quote

I just bought a retro lower from PSA but made by H&R.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone already posted it but I was going to say H&R.  Made a shit ton of guns for civvies as well as .mil (Reising SMG, Garand, FAL, M14, and M16A1).

Not quite the same.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Made by PSA, marked as H&R?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 1:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Weatherby?  I know back in the sixties through the mid eighties they were highly regarded.  Glossy stocks and all…

Edit: beat
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, and I’d propose Stag Arms as well. Remington used to be the shit for a high precision factory rifle but now their rifles are shit because fucking bankers are running the company. Winchester is about the same - they’re just selling the name. Weatherby used to be an American-made, high quality, high precision rifle… not anymore. I’m not sure what the deal is with Stag Arms anymore - I bought a couple when they were a new outfit and there wasn’t anything wrong with them, in fact they were considered a premium brand, but they haven’t adapted with the market too much and at this point nobody is buying their guns.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Kahr

Kimber
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s a Zermatt action. If RRA is “making” that, they are doing nothing but assembling the same thing I put together in my basement and slapping their name on it.
View Quote

Kinda like 95% of AR manufacturers?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:21:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Made by PSA, marked as H&R?
View Quote

Bought from PSA, marked "made by" H&R is all I know.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:38:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Olympic aka Olly
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 3:36:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Rock River
View Quote

This. When I first got into AR’s around 2006-2007 they were THE hotness. Every gun magazine covered what new model they produced. Everybody wanted Rock River. A lot of gun stores carried their rifles. Hell, I’m not even sure now how many years since I’ve seen one in person. Maybe ten?
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#43]
It used to be that if you were in the market for an AR, the advice was A, B or C.  Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt.  All three are irrelevant now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#44]
You are all wrong.

The prize for THE MOST irrelevant gun company goes to Troy.

The fact that we are on page 3 and they still hadn’t been mentioned  proves how irrelevant they’ve become.

There was a time their iron sights and handguards were THE hotness.

Unfortunately for them, they really screwed the pooch by hiring Lon Huriuchi’s partner.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Larue

View Quote

While I've liked their stuff in the past, the new prices have caused me to move on. Can't argue with you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As far as I know they fired up the 870 line again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Remington making anything anymore? I didn't think the factories were up and going anymore.

Bushmaster. Use to be one of the Big Three. A go to company for the AR user.

As far as I know they fired up the 870 line again.

New/ kinda new owners, new 870s are MUCH better-built than the last generation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Now that I'm thinking....

Parker-Hale.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Browning, though I'm not sure if they were ever that big.

All they sell now is t-shirts, sweaters, and decals.

Link Posted: 11/11/2023 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No idea on what Arsenal BG is doing with contracts or their production capacity, but we are seeing the majority of the 16 inch models in their catalog (they only make milled x39 and 5.56 guns these days).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arsenal

But can you actually get those? A few of those models are limited edition runs from the past, like the AR M5F I have. Don't think they're gonna bring in any more, knowing how they like to play the warehouse find game on KVAR.

I've only ever seen new SAM7SFs, SAM5s and SAM7Rs for sale recently otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Husqvarna Vapenfabriks Aktiebolag was a wonderful Swedish gun manufacturer that was established in 1689.

They ceased the manufacture of firearms in 1972 and it was an absolute tragedy.

Here is a Husqvarna Model 1600 in 9.3x62mm that was manufactured in 1967. It is a controlled feed modified Mauser action and you can think of it as the Swedish Model 70.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/20230906_141226-3022985.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/234818/IMG_3914_2_-3022986.jpg
View Quote

They kept producing shotguns until the late 80s. The Ehrenpreuss series in 89 was the last.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top