Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/16/2022 12:40:48 AM EDT

Usually when I make rice for a meal it's a minute rice.  Myself like many here have a small stockpile of regular rice and I know rice is probably one of, if not the most eaten food on the planet. So is a rice cooker just something sold to take advantage of the numbers or does it make really good rice and make life easier?  I need to start turning some of my goods over and I'm wondering if a rice cooker is worth taking up more space in my kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
We use ours a lot.

Also good for cooking Chinese sausages.

Also can make great fluffy pancakes.

Etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're feeding more than two, and you like rice, yes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Easy cook, easy clean.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Zojirushi FTW!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
View Quote

Oddly enough, I prefer using a stove/pan to make congee to the rice cooker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a Japanese made one like Tiger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the multi cookers like InstantPot also have rice cooking functions, I'd get one of those for the versatility since you can do so much with them and they're about the same size.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the absolute hell out of my Tiger rice cooker. Usually I go with Calrose rice. Practically no effort and for under $100 the fact that it still works like new after a decade is pretty good.

Japanese appliances are something else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't eat much rice any more but I have a smaller sized one. It works pretty well. I've made oatmeal in it and steamed broccoli/cauliflower.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd rather have an instant pot. It will do the same thing, plus sooo much more. Multi-taskers FTW.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most of the multi cookers like InstantPot also have rice cooking functions, I'd get one of those for the versatility since you can do so much with them and they're about the same size.
View Quote

I have an Instapot but only used it for pressure cooking a few times. I'll have to check out the rice feature. Didn't cross my mind .
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Rice cookers dominate cooking rice. They are not a gimmick.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Of all our bullshit countertop appliances; that one actually gets used.

That and a big crockpot.

The rest just collect dust.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
No. First knuckle trick and experience make one redundant unless you cook rice every day and want to set it and forget it. Then get one of the high dollar Japanese ones and sacrifice the counter space.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Not if you know how to cook rice in a pan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine is a Zojirushi. I also have an InstantPot. I like rice with my pot roast.

BTW: if you aren't washing your rice, well, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have an old Hitachi Chime-o-matic that needs something repaired in it, but I've been using a 3 quart instant pot for a while now and it does a great job, I may not fix the old one.
20lb bag of jasmine rice is like $25, several times cheaper than minute rice a lot tastier.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Already said, if you eat a lot of rice...  Looks like there are tons of them sold at Asian markets.

My wife used to have an Asian baby sitter.  She sold my wife on them.  I later got one for my office - a small one to do a cup of rice at a time.  Other than the air fryer, probably our most used kitchen gadget.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Usually when I make rice for a meal it's a minute rice.  Myself like many here have a small stockpile of regular rice and I know rice is probably one of, if not the most eaten food on the planet. So is a rice cooker just something sold to take advantage of the numbers or does it make really good rice and make life easier?  I need to start turning some of my goods over and I'm wondering if a rice cooker is worth taking up more space in my kitchen.
View Quote

Get an instant pot. It does more than cook rice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Of all our bullshit countertop appliances; that one actually gets used.

That and a big crockpot.

The rest just collect dust.
View Quote

Basically where I'm at

It makes good rice, pretty efficiently
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Zojirushi master rice checking in.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#25]
A big advantage of a good rice cooker is that it's fire-and-forget for different types of rice. Regular, brown, sushi, glutinous, etc. Rice, water, push button. Perfectly cooked every time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:30:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Definitely need one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Asian family here. We stopped using rice cookers since the instant pot does a great job.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-rice/
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rice cookers are awesome. I have 3 different sizes.
The Instapot, Ninja cookers things are fine, but just a rice cooker is fine, too if you just basically want rice. All 3 of mine also have a steam pot for the top.
The medium sized one can do like 4 hard boiled eggs while doing rice.
The little one has 3 "tiers" and great for hot lunch in about 20 minutes.

The cheaper ones have more issues with even cooking, but they are fine.

Old fashioned on a pot on the stove makes the best actual rice. But for everyday ease, a rice cooker is awesome.
I like that I can make rice w/o taking up a burner and I can leave it a while as the rest of the meal is getting cooked.
I have a giant one I bought like 20+ years ago for $25.
I have a normal sized one... does from 2-12ish servings.
I have a mini one that does like lunch for 1.

The cheaper ones, or maybe all of them... you have to kind of screw with them and get the rice/water ratio down. It's super easy.
Use a bouillon cube or stock instead of water. You can put thawed frozen veggies in it to make like "fried" rice.
Make extra rice for rice pudding. Also you can use rice sort of like oatmeal for a powerhouse breakfast.
Instead of veggies, you put like cinnamon... berries, whatever. You can treat leftover streamed white rice just like oatmeal.
If you're the "rustic" type... you can do the same with brown rice.

... and stop eating Minute Rice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely.

Zojirushi Induction master race checking in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Monica.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I've always had a nice rice maker, but we also make several cups of rice every morning and use it throughout the day. Zojirushi or Cuckoo are the only brands Ive ever used, both are fantastic and will last a decade easy
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I grabbed one of the clearance blackstone grills from Walmart recently (50% off). To make hibachi I grabbed the cheapest rice cooker Walmart had, $20. It actually works great for my wife and I. Makes more than enough rice I don’t even make that max capacity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

What i did. Soon as i got the Instapot, i gave away the rice cooker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I’ve got a cheap $20 model, worth every penny.

Old-fashioned rice cookers are extremely clever
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

I use this for making congee.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P4PK7K6?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Never had one.  We cook it on the stove...doesn't get much easier than cooking rice.  

Water/Butter/Salt/Rice, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, turn off heat when done.  It'll stay hot in the pot for an hour if you keep the lid on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Two cups of water, a little salt and butter, one cup of rice.  Bring the water w/salt and butter to a boil, add the rice, stir and cover, set the heat on low and run for 20 minutes or so (a little longer at altitude).  Turn off the heat and let sit for five minutes with the lid on, stir with a fork to fluff it up, perfect every time.  All you need is a sauce pan and lid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I had one but didn't care much for it, due to always being worried about getting water in the electronics when washing it. To me, fire and forget cleaning is more important than fire and forget cooking, so I've been happy so far with my stainless steel saucepan.

I love rice, so wouldn't mind trying a higher end rice cooker if it makes that much of a difference.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Rice cookers make things easy.

They work on a very simple set of principles.

A specific amount of water is added to the rice. This amount has been calculated as the amount needed to fully cook the rice and fully evaporate in the appropriate time

Since water cannot boil above 212° the rice cooker uses magnet with a currie point just over that point to automatically shut off.

Since to pot cant raise much above 212° as long as water is present, as soon as the water is evaporated the pot temp raises and the magnet stops working causing the cooker to go into warming mode.

This makes it pretty much impossible to burn the rice. Unlike using a basic pot. You can still dry the rice out though if it stays on warming mode for too long.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:43:45 AM EDT
[#46]
If you eat a lot of rice, yes.

People will suggest some really good expensive brands, but often don’t mention Tatung steamer cookers.

They have been a mainstay of the Taiwanese people for decades and for good reason.

Plus, laser eyes Jesus blesses every pot of rice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#47]
100% yes. Zojirushi is what you seek.

Zojirushi Rice cookers
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you eat a lot of rice, yes.

People will suggest some really good expensive brands, but often don’t mention Tatung steamer cookers.

They have been a mainstay of the Taiwanese people for decades and for good reason.

Plus, laser eyes Jesus blesses every pot of rice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/115692/A464E472-827F-492A-96D4-D5A057ADB8B4_jpe-2527895.JPG
View Quote

It only took me a moment to see it, but once I saw it I can't unsee it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Boiling, straining and rinsing has worked fine for our family.

Uncle Roger DISGUSTED by this Egg Fried Rice Video (BBC Food)
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#50]
We have rice once or twice a week, dont feel any need for one. But we know the apparent secret that you can fix rice in the microwave, and its about the easiest way to fix rice, excepting a rice cooker. Maybe if it was something eaten every day or every other day it would be worth considering here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top