Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. First knuckle trick and experience make one redundant unless you cook rice every day and want to set it and forget it. Then get one of the high dollar Japanese ones and sacrifice the counter space.
View Quote

Rice cooker goes on top of the rice bin not the counter.  Sheesh, thought everyone knew that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Op get a 3 cup rice cooker & buy jasmine rice. Don’t buy that crap in the box!
Add 3 cups of rice & 3 cups of water and turn on. When it’s finished leave it on for an extra 30 minutes before scooping out rice.
Best place to buy rice is at the Asian stores. They sell jasmine buy the sacks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not if you know how to cook rice in a pan.
View Quote

All the Asians I know, know how to cook rice in a pan, but they all got rice cookers.  Usually two.  One for regular every day use and a giant one for celebrations.

I know how to cook rice in a regular pan, fuck that when there’s rice cookers easily and cheaply available.

Ain’t no one gots time to be messing around cooking rice in a sauce pan on the stove.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
And stop eating crappy-ass minute rice OP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Only if you're inept at cooking.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
they are useful if you dont want to muss with timers and all that.. Just throw in the water, throw in the rice, push a lever.. and 15 minutes later it pops and its done nearly perfect every time.  They make some small 2 person serving rice cookers I have one of those.. It might actually 2-3 people, but its smaller than a basketball and easy to clean as it has a super slick surface.  It's another thing to clean yes, but it also does what you want with the push of a button.  Convenience is still a thing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rice cookers dominate cooking rice. They are not a gimmick.
View Quote

One for Chinese rice, one for Persian rice, etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Op get a 3 cup rice cooker & buy jasmine rice. Don’t buy that crap in the box!
Add 3 cups of rice & 3 cups of water and turn on. When it’s finished leave it on for an extra 30 minutes before scooping out rice.
Best place to buy rice is at the Asian stores. They sell jasmine buy the sacks.
View Quote

x1000

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife is Asian.  We eat rice often.  Yes we have a rice cooker, even bring it on road trips.  My wife can cook more than rice in the thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Monica.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine is a Zojirushi. I also have an InstantPot. I like rice with my pot roast.

BTW: if you aren't washing your rice, well, you're doing it wrong.

Quoted:
Zojirushi master rice checking in.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Monica.

Trust the blue elephant
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
We have a cheap on, probably use it once a week for the last few years. It is easy to use, rice comes out perfectly and it doesn’t take up much space.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All the Asians I know, know how to cook rice in a pan, but they all got rice cookers.  Usually two.  One for regular every day use and a giant one for celebrations.

I know how to cook rice in a regular pan, fuck that when there’s rice cookers easily and cheaply available.

Ain’t no one gots time to be messing around cooking rice in a sauce pan on the stove.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not if you know how to cook rice in a pan.

Exactly.  Cooking rice in a pan is no great achievement but it is a bit of a pain, a rice cooker is far superior and all the Asians I know use them because it is far more efficient.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Whatever you choose to do, remember that left over rice is a big thing, at least in the issei, neisei and sansei (I don't know about real Japanese). Any rice can be stored in the pan (w/o the rice cooker) for several days in the frig. Very good lunches (Ochazuke) starts with left-over rice (can be cold) and hot green tea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife is Asian.  We eat rice often.  Yes we have a rice cooker, even bring it on road trips.  My wife can cook more than rice in the thing.
View Quote

You can cook all sorts of things for 2 on the road with just a rice cooker.
I love mine.
I used the single one for sometimes breakfast and lunch at the shop. Fresh rice, a boiled egg, some leftover meat or fresh seafood, some veggies..... complete meal.
Works perfect for a motel room or camper. 20ish minutes and all of dinner can be done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a cheap Aroma one from Amazon, I paid $25 or so for it.  It does rice pretty good.

I cook a cup of rice, then add a can of Rotel, can of black beans, and 12 Oz of canned chicken breast.  Easy and cheap breakfast for a few days.

This thread has me wanting a Zojirushi.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I could have rice every day. We buy jasmine and use the instapot. It does pretty good. We had a rice cooker we bought in Japan 20yrs ago, but it never really worked as good in the US so I donated it to the Goodwill.

Thread made me hungry, gonna make rice now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Best rice cooker ever.

Though for someone just starting out maybe a simple Aroma.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A big advantage of a good rice cooker is that it's fire-and-forget for different types of rice. Regular, brown, sushi, glutinous, etc. Rice, water, push button. Perfectly cooked every time.
View Quote

I've heard they can keep cooked rice warm and tasty for two days.  Is that true?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#21]
If he prefers Minute Rice, he doesn't need a Japanese-style rice cooker which makes Japanese-style sticky rice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've heard they can keep cooked rice warm and tasty for two days.  Is that true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A big advantage of a good rice cooker is that it's fire-and-forget for different types of rice. Regular, brown, sushi, glutinous, etc. Rice, water, push button. Perfectly cooked every time.

Not warm but fresh fir a few days then it starts to get gooey on bottom.
We will make rice in cooker and just leave it there on counter and eat it through out the day.
Just keep lid on it. Scoop in plate & heat up in microwave.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
View Quote

Being rice is a staple in Louisiana, we dont have a rice cooker....2 cups boiling water, get it rolling, stir in 1 cup of rice (I like using parboiled rice) and bring back to a boil, stir real good, turn to simmer and lid on, DO NOT OPEN THE LID ONCE ON.  20-23 minutes you have your rice.  That easy

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I do love rice.

I was stationed in Japan for five years and traveled all over Asia and I fell in love with the food and women.

So much so that when I came back from overseas I brought a 94-pound rice cooker home with me.

She's put on a couple of pounds and doesn't move as fast but she's still pretty to me.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do love rice.

I was stationed in Japan for five years and traveled all over Asia and I fell in love with the food and women.

So much so that when I came back from overseas I brought a 94-pound rice cooker home with me.

She's put on a couple of pounds and doesn't move as fast but she's still pretty to me.

View Quote

Did the same,I brought home a 105-pound rice cooker.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have an Instapot but only used it for pressure cooking a few times. I'll have to check out the rice feature. Didn't cross my mind .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the multi cookers like InstantPot also have rice cooking functions, I'd get one of those for the versatility since you can do so much with them and they're about the same size.

I have an Instapot but only used it for pressure cooking a few times. I'll have to check out the rice feature. Didn't cross my mind .

Definitely InstantPot. 1 1/4 cup of water per cup of brown rice. Pressure cook on high for 20min, unplug and let sit for 10min. Release pressure and done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Ninja Foodi pressure cooker is what we use. Rice turns out great, but then again we use it 4-5 times a week on all sorts of food and it has yet to let us down on what it can do.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#28]
To buy the best rice cookers,you need to go to the Asian stores. They’re not cheap either,I see them selling them for between 2 to 4 hundred depending size. But they last forever and cook rice perfect.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Depends how old she is
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

My brother got a high dollar like 500 plus while he was in china that keeps it warms for days. He found the exact model here on that local auction site for 20 bucks. Took a chance and it turned out to be a real one. He ended up giving it to my younger brother because I dont eat much rice anymore. I got a basic one for my birthday. I do enjoy the set and forget nature of it. Turns off once complete to avoid burning. Dont have to worry about waiting for it to boil, turning down to simmer, etc. Get an instapot if you want a multifunctional kitchen gadget.

I got one of these egg cookers I really like too:
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Uncle Roger Teach You How to Make Rice (#shorts)

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#32]
We have used the same Sanyo 10 cup rice cooker for 20+ years.
Had to go to Pensacola NAS to get it.  They had at least 50 types for sale.
Believe ours ran $125.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Instant pot can do rice cooking plus more
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I never make more than a cup at a time.  I use a 'real', small, saucepan to make it.  COVER the pot.  It seems the more rice one makes in one batch the harder to get it right at the end.  So maybe a rice cooker is a good thing for larger batches?  I'd buy a bread machine just to make pizza dough before I'd buy a rice cooker.  The bread machine my sister bought me ~25 years ago (Rival Brand) died last week.  I used it well over 100 times.  Never really liked any bread I made with it but made lots and lots of dough for pizza.

P.S.
Low-hanging, money-saving fruit for the reader follows.  I like to cook.  One thing that recently dawned on me is "I wonder if I don't heat up the house so much if I cover my cooking?  I never have unless really necessary (like rice) because I don't want to clean lids.  I'm a mechanical engineer and well, of course it won't heat the house so much because the lid retains a lot of heat.  The difference in temp between outside air and inside a parked car is a good analogy.  I had no idea how much.  Makes an obviously notable difference both in how high the burner goes to get it cooked, cooks faster, and how much more slowly the house heats.  >30 years of cooking and it didn't occur to me to cover the pots in summer to save money.  Not just saving money: I cringe when I know I'm heating the house with the ac on.  Just ain't right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you're feeding more than two, and you like rice, yes.
View Quote

This.   It's kind of overkill for two unless you really like fresh made rice or have to get use it up to turn over stocks.

Rice cookers are cheap - no reason not to have one.   They are also interesting mechanically if you dive into it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#36]
aint got no time fo that. pressure cooker, 8 min done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It only took me a moment to see it, but once I saw it I can't unsee it.

View Quote

I couldn't see it; but just as I stood to walk away, I saw it.  It's not an unseeable thing for me.  I can only see it if I don't look directly at it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.   It's kind of overkill for two unless you really like fresh made rice or have to get use it up to turn over stocks.

Rice cookers are cheap - no reason not to have one.   They are also interesting mechanically if you dive into it.
View Quote

The YouTube vid I posted earlier does just that.

I’ve used my little unit a few years now and it keeps on trucking. Throw some Chinese sausages or a tomato and sardines in there for a quick and easy meal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Two cups of water in a pan... get it to boiling, cut it to simmer, a cup of rice and put the lid on. Leave it alone for 20 minutes and there you go.
View Quote

@baogongmeo

+1

Or use Alton Brown’s Rice in a rush video:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-rice-in-a-rush-recipe-1957606
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Most of the multi cookers like InstantPot also have rice cooking functions, I'd get one of those for the versatility since you can do so much with them and they're about the same size.
View Quote

this is the way

our insta pot makes great rice   use it all the time
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe, if you cook alot of rice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, super easy and convenient.  Also, Air Fryer is a must, if you don’t have one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#43]
No, but an InstaPot is
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#44]
F that Minute Rice shite. Get the cooker if you like rice and eat it fairly often; you can thank me later. When I was lifting, I used the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Hell yeah. We use it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Usually when I make rice for a meal it's a minute rice.  Myself like many here have a small stockpile of regular rice and I know rice is probably one of, if not the most eaten food on the planet. So is a rice cooker just something sold to take advantage of the numbers or does it make really good rice and make life easier?  I need to start turning some of my goods over and I'm wondering if a rice cooker is worth taking up more space in my kitchen.
View Quote

Yes. It's a time saver and you can steam your dumplings while your rice cooks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#47]
When my ex vacated the house, she left one behind. didn't look like it had ever been used. had all the nested baskets and everything.

She took the lid with her.

I've been wanting to try Japanese style rice, so I've been contemplating picking up another one, I just don't want to spend a bunch of money in case I don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!  Works every time!
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#49]
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/rice-cooker-history

Totally worth it. We have a medium sized one for normal family meals and a big one for family gatherings.

I totally get it's easy to make rice on the stove, but why bother when I can pour 4 cups of rice in the rice cooker, add water, push a button and walk away. Then I can focus on the rest of the meal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#50]
I like my rice cooker because if I forget or get distracted, I can still eat dinner instead of cleaning up a mess.

And it's good for steaming veggies too.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top